• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm trying to update my mod for Conclave and am experiencing a problem where the game crashes while loading. I get to the screen where it says "Initializing Map Logic," but then it crashes to desktop. I've used winmerge to update any vanilla files which I alter in my mod. I'm not sure what could be causing it to crash, however. Can anyone help point me towards what might be causing it?

The areas altered by my mod are:

Common
  • buildings
  • cb_types
  • cultures
  • defines
  • dynasties
  • event_modifiers
  • landed_titles
  • laws
  • on_actions
  • religions
  • religious_titles
  • traits
  • technology
Decisions
  • conversion_decisions
  • HL_decisions
  • realm_decisions
  • vassal_decisions
  • way_of_life_decisions
Events

• cm_charlemagne_story_events
  • cm_culture_conversion_events
  • cm_major_events
  • culture_conversion_events
  • mongol_events
  • religious_events
  • wol_intrigue_events

GFX
  • flags
  • traits

History
  • characters
  • provinces
  • technology
  • titles
Interface
  • coats_of_arms
  • decision_icons.gfc
Map
  • geographical_region

I'm trying to update my mod for Conclave and am experiencing a problem where the game crashes while loading. I get to the screen where it says "Initializing Map Logic," but then it crashes to desktop. I've used winmerge to update any vanilla files which I alter in my mod. I'm not sure what could be causing it to crash, however. Can anyone help point me towards what might be causing it?

Common
  • buildings
  • cb_types
  • cultures
  • defines
  • dynasties
  • event_modifiers
  • landed_titles
  • laws
  • on_actions
  • religions
  • religious_titles
  • traits
  • technology
Decisions
  • conversion_decisions
  • HL_decisions
  • realm_decisions
  • vassal_decisions
  • way_of_life_decisions
Events

• cm_major_events
  • mongol_events
  • religious_events
  • wol_intrigue_events

GFX
  • flags
  • traits

History
  • characters
  • provinces
  • technology
  • titles
Interface
  • coats_of_arms
  • decision_icons.gfc
Map
  • geographical_region
Have you ran it through validator?

Common
  • buildings
  • cb_types
  • cultures
  • defines
  • dynasties
  • event_modifiers
  • landed_titles
  • laws
  • on_actions
  • religions
  • religious_titles
  • traits
  • technology
Decisions
  • conversion_decisions
  • HL_decisions
  • realm_decisions
  • vassal_decisions
  • way_of_life_decisions
Events

• cm_major_events
  • mongol_events
  • religious_events
  • wol_intrigue_events

GFX
  • flags
  • traits

History
  • characters
  • provinces
  • technology
  • titles
Interface
  • coats_of_arms
  • decision_icons.gfc
Map
  • geographical_region

Have you updated/added the province_setup folder and file? Some others on the forum have said not to have gotten any crashes with incorrect province_setup, but I personally get crashes whenever there are more provinces in the province_setup file than are defined as max_provinces in default.map

I just ran it through and a bunch of stuff popped up, like a lot of vanilla localizations missing (for instance, k_mongolia) and also a puzzling Type mismatch where it refuses to recognize "Zeus" in the same category as "The Sword of Islam" "Charlemagne" etc. Any idea what's going on? Is something wrong with my mod file?

How this could be done? I see only any_independent_ruler and any_playable_ruler as scopes that contained the "ruler" word...
only_rulers = yes (or only_playable = yes, to exclude non-playable rulers as well) as a pretrigger, or is_ruler = yes or is_landed = yes as a trigger.

I am currently trying to alter the seduction focus...less bastards and such ;) My approach is to alter the numbers in the wol_seduction_events file.
While browsing the file i stumbled upon something which confuses me: The events when someone recieves a letter and can decide to like, dislike or react offended.
The ai_chance for both like and dislike is 100. And for both there is a factor 0.2 if chaste - but i think it should be factor = 0.2 for liking the letter and factor = 2 for disliking (from a logical point of view - chaste persons will reject more often).
As i am a beginner to modding CK2, i am not quite sure how this ai_chance and modifier stuff works, and this confuses me even more. Maybe someone can enlighten me? :D

I am currently trying to alter the seduction focus...less bastards and such ;) My approach is to alter the numbers in the wol_seduction_events file.
While browsing the file i stumbled upon something which confuses me: The events when someone recieves a letter and can decide to like, dislike or react offended.
The ai_chance for both like and dislike is 100. And for both there is a factor 0.2 if chaste - but i think it should be factor = 0.2 for liking the letter and factor = 2 for disliking (from a logical point of view - chaste persons will reject more often).
As i am a beginner to modding CK2, i am not quite sure how this ai_chance and modifier stuff works, and this confuses me even more. Maybe someone can enlighten me? :D
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Event_modding#AI_chance

only_rulers = yes (or only_playable = yes, to exclude non-playable rulers as well) as a pretrigger, or is_ruler = yes or is_landed = yes as a trigger.

Hmm what is the idea to send the event to anyone and put a pretrigger on the event?
This the proper event so maybe is more clear:

Code:
# Let's see if there are more than 4 candidates we need to have a finite number of them...
character_event = {
    id = senatorial_rep.107
    title = EVTNAMEsenatorial_rep.107
    desc = EVTDESCsenatorial_rep.107
    picture = GFX_evt_council

#hide_window = yes

trigger = {
        AND = {
            OR = {
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_imperial_party
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_republican_party
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_papaline_party
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_neutral_party
            }
            has_character_flag = selecting_candidates
            NOT = { has_character_flag = candidates_found }
        }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        days = 5
    }

immediate = {
        # If there are more than 4 candidates select randomly who removes his candidacy
        if = {
            limit = {
                check_variable = { which = "nr_head_of_party_candidates" value = 5 } # check_variable does >= not >
            }
            if = {
                limit = { has_character_flag = head_of_party_candidate }
                character_event = { id = senatorial_rep.108 days = 2 random = 1 }
            }
            any_realm_character = {
            }

character_event = { id = senatorial_rep.107 days = 4 }
        }

# Four candidates or less let's proceed with the election
        if = {
            limit = {
                NOT = { check_variable = { which = "nr_head_of_party_candidates" value = 5 } }
            }
            set_character_flag = candidates_found
            clr_character_flag = selecting_candidates

character_event = { id = senatorial_rep.110 days = 4 }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTOKsenatorial_rep.107
    }
}

When there are more than 4 candidates I will send to any of them an event when will be hidden as his scope is in reality to have them in scope for an IA only character (in AGOT this would be "The Citadel", in future I hope to add some God-like character for now he is the simply plain annoying... Pope) that will decide as the hand of fate if the character is really a viable candidate or not. As you can see if do the same test two times only because "ROOT" could be or not in any_realm_character! Now it is bugged as if "ROOT" is not the liege probably I send the event two times with the risk that the Pope will evaluate him two times! Unfair :p

IMHO is a little opinable that the liege is not a part of himself realm...

The second problem (of the "numbering" of the candidates) how could be solved in a "elegant" way?

Thanks for your help!

color2 is used for the border coloring, alternated with the main color.

Reactions:
I'm trying to nerf (drastically) the vassal limits to more organically destabilize the blobs, but now since conclave there are two sets of vassal limits with slightly different amounts in the defines.lua file. Does anyone know if one is DLC only or is there some voodoo interplay of the values (like combat stats have), or something else entirely? In other words, do I only need to modify one set, or do I need to account for them being added/multiplied together?

My target goal is for each rank tier to only add one (or two) and the vassal limit be largely set by the individual's stats and the centralization/administration laws. (Balanced to a 0 stat OPM count with no centralization or other laws being only able to afford his county's barons -barons also counting to the limit) I want the realms of bad rulers to collapse/go independent, and only exceptional rulers being able to expand much with any sense of stability. (On the absolute max end of the scale a good player with exceptional characters should be able to restore the roman empire or unite india but it should be next to impossible to keep them together for any extended length of time, and world conquest should be unthinkable except figuratively through tributaries and alliances. In the current vanilla, a mediocre statted king can conquer and hold the whole world with out hitting the limit if the player's smart in how the titles are distributed to his dukes.)

Hmm what is the idea to send the event to anyone and put a pretrigger on the event?
This the proper event so maybe is more clear:

Code:
# Let's see if there are more than 4 candidates we need to have a finite number of them...
character_event = {
    id = senatorial_rep.107
    title = EVTNAMEsenatorial_rep.107
    desc = EVTDESCsenatorial_rep.107
    picture = GFX_evt_council

#hide_window = yes

trigger = {
        AND = {
            OR = {
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_imperial_party
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_republican_party
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_papaline_party
                has_character_flag = provisional_head_neutral_party
            }
            has_character_flag = selecting_candidates
            NOT = { has_character_flag = candidates_found }
        }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        days = 5
    }

immediate = {
        # If there are more than 4 candidates select randomly who removes his candidacy
        if = {
            limit = {
                check_variable = { which = "nr_head_of_party_candidates" value = 5 } # check_variable does >= not >
            }
            if = {
            }
            any_realm_character = {
            }

character_event = { id = senatorial_rep.107 days = 4 }
        }

# Four candidates or less let's proceed with the election
        if = {
            limit = {
                NOT = { check_variable = { which = "nr_head_of_party_candidates" value = 5 } }
            }
            set_character_flag = candidates_found
            clr_character_flag = selecting_candidates

character_event = { id = senatorial_rep.110 days = 4 }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTOKsenatorial_rep.107
    }
}

When there are more than 4 candidates I will send to any of them an event when will be hidden as his scope is in reality to have them in scope for an IA only character (in AGOT this would be "The Citadel", in future I hope to add some God-like character for now he is the simply plain annoying... Pope) that will decide as the hand of fate if the character is really a viable candidate or not. As you can see if do the same test two times only because "ROOT" could be or not in any_realm_character! Now it is bugged as if "ROOT" is not the liege probably I send the event two times with the risk that the Pope will evaluate him two times! Unfair :p

IMHO is a little opinable that the liege is not a part of himself realm...

The second problem (of the "numbering" of the candidates) how could be solved in a "elegant" way?

Thanks for your help!
Make a minor title for election official. Send the choosing candidate event to him. (Save as an event target at start of election season, so it is easy to scope to him.)

Don't use character_event for recursive event calls, use repeat_event instead.

Could somebody help me identify an error? I've been working on a total conversion mod and for a number of events from various files, like rebellions and Way of Life diplomacy, there's simply no event descriptions displayed. Options appear fine, but the event's description is missing. I thought I might have broken the localisation, so I played around with one. The localisation is still present, but editing, moving or creating a brand new localisation do nothing to fix the problem though.

I've run the mod through the Validator and it can't point out a single problem with the file.

Did you change (accidentally maybe?) the encoding of the files?

Remind which is the correct encoding? ANSI or UTF-8?

EDIT: Ah. ANSI apparently.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay. How do I change a CSV to ANSI? I change or convert the encoding in Notepad++ but when I open the file up, it's gone back to be UTF-8.

Last edited:
Hello, I haven't modded much in a year and I was trying to update my old mod today.

Seems history/titles doesn't work the same as it used to. if a title had "holder = 0" it created a random character to hold that title under the title's liege. Now, it seems that a title with holder = 0 will give that title to the liege or another existing vassal under the liege, somewhat at random.

Am I correct that this has changed? and more importantly, how can one ensure that titles get a random character to hold it without necessarily creating new characters manually?

Make a minor title for election official. Send the choosing candidate event to him. (Save as an event target at start of election season, so it is easy to scope to him.).

I'd liked to use minor titles but the selected "provisional Head" could be the liege itself because before been the Consul the liege is a Senator himself! And sadly minor titles cannot be applied to the liege so when they elect the real head of the party I cannot again give to him a minor title (that would have had the cool effect to add this to his titulature) so I needed to use a trait.
But I could indeed save the Provisional Head charid as an event target yes but this how solves the ambiguity that he could be found by any_realm_character or not?
Note that this code is my try to modify AGOT "Volantis Republic" code for my needs so it could have old idioms (for example it does not used "event_target" but character flags to find the "numbered" candidates and I have changed this) maybe with new scripts modifications there is a more simple way to accomplish this.

Don't use character_event for recursive event calls, use repeat_event instead.

OK I'll change the event to use "repeat_event" to filter out the candidates... I imagine this will be more efficient.