Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As the resistance grows in an area it has several effects:
  • available supply is reduced creating bottlenecks
  • your enemies get increased intel and will be able to see more of what is going on
  • factories will suffer from sabotage and will need to be repaired
  • troops will take more attrition

So what's the worst thing that can happen?
  • no supply
  • enemies see everything
  • factories have 0 output
  • troops are instantly wiped out when entering the province (ofc joking :) )
But no partisan spawning or the like?

Reactions:
I wish we had a lolipop instead of a fist for nicest.
4c75a9e78dd02d1305cc5eb104236c28.jpg

Couldn't find any nice germans :(
article-2073616-0F29159200000578-990_634x427.jpg

(German policy)

Reactions:
Does the population of a state have an effect on resistance? For instance, does it take more troops to suppress resistance in a high-population state than in a state with almost no population?

Reactions:
So what's the worst thing that can happen?
  • no supply
  • enemies see everything
  • factories have 0 output
  • troops are instantly wiped out when entering the province (ofc joking :) )
But no partisan spawning or the like?

Looks like partisans are completely abstracted, which is a good thing IMO. A bit of a pity for Paris' or Warsaw' uprisings, but maybe it's not really worth the modelling of a triggered popup of militia..

Reactions:
That's great news about the global handling and vision of the problematic.

About "offer the occupation to an ally", I'm a bit concerned : Is it realistic to give this occupation for years and then neglect totally the weight of some annexion-or-something wishes from this ally at peace conference ? And what if, say as Germany, I give France occupation to Japan ??! :confused: Isn't there a bit too much of freedom here ? What are the historic actual examples that I fail to make pop up in my mind ?
How about the division of the occupation of Greece between Italy, Bulgaria and Germany. Though Italy was at war with Greece from October '40, they got pushed back by the Greek into Albania. The Greek then lost to the Pre-Barbarossa onslaught of the Germans and Bulgarians in Spring '41, but the occupation was divided between Italy, Germany and Bulgaria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_occupation_of_Greece#/media/File:Triple_Occupation_of_Greece.png

Reactions:
Hello everyone! This weeks topic will be the side effects of war: Occupation and Resistance.

Resistance
The main goal of modeling local resistance in HOI4 is to remove whack-a-mole of rebels running around and to model the strategic problems with occupying large chunks of enemy territory.

IEe6SJd.jpg

Yeah, run and chase rebels popping everywhere was very painful and unrealistic (with some exception like the Warsaw Uprising and some french Resistance movement). This system is largely better.

For the screenshots I've quoted, how can we release a country ? It must be fully annexed (so not in a faction) ?

Reactions:
Are there any point in annexing nations if you lose control over what occupation policy you will use?
Sooo... do resistance dissapear after you take the land in a peace deal or do they want to return to their original country?

After a peace deal the land is no longer occupied, so in say 1948 when you carve up europe and defeat the other side you will not get a polish resistance anymore. Non-core territory still doesnt give the same perks as fully yours but it wont cause any trouble for you.

Thanks for the DD.

So if I attack say Switzerland as Germany from my ally Italy's borders, Italy will give me back the territory that Italy initially gets when pushing into Switzerland?

Yes, or you can ask for it.

That's great news about the global handling and vision of the problematic.

About "offer the occupation to an ally", I'm a bit concerned : Is it realistic to give this occupation for years and then neglect totally the weight of some annexion-or-something wishes from this ally at peace conference ? And what if, say as Germany, I give France occupation to Japan ??! :confused: Isn't there a bit too much of freedom here ? What are the historic actual examples that I fail to make pop up in my mind ?

The main point of this feature is to reduce border gore to be honest, as well as being able to spread responsibility with allies. If you dont have this stuff will end up looking quite bad border wise and this allows player to do something about it afterwards.

Thanks a lot. I feared for something on an annoyane scale of eu IV disturbance to vic 2 horror...

Do troops or military police only slow or halt the resistance progression or are there effective ways of reducing it? If not, why should I bother with Provinces at 100%, these would basically be lost now, wouldn't they?

If you have enough MP or troops etc the resistance will tick down and go to 0. So yeah you'll want that.

Is there any way for Britain to send for example equipment to help the resistance grow more powerful in France?

No there isnt, but you can send equipment as part of staging a coup/civil war which is similar I guess.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Does the population of a state have an effect on resistance? For instance, does it take more troops to suppress resistance in a high-population state than in a state with almost no population?

Population has no effect, but resistance flows outwards from victory points generally and get stronger from big VPs. So it works quite well in combination with defending occupied VPs to station troops there to reduce resistance.

Reactions:
I might be misunderstanding the UI, but why does France only have a Claim on Centre while the UK and Germany are the "owners"?

Its from WWW save where Franco-British Union have triggered so all of france is now owned by Britain

Reactions:
Very nice dev diary!

However, does this mean that there are no partisans this time? So with the current mechanic, while much better than whack-a-mole and more plausible, Yugoslavia (the only country liberated solely by partisans) during WW2 won't be properly implemented… again.

Reactions:
What percentage of man power would be used of occupied countries at the gentlest policies? Also would the conscription policies also apply to the occupied territories

Reactions:
Its from WWW save where Franco-British Union have triggered so all of france is now owned by Britain
Why does France still have a claim on those territories then? I thought "France" would not exist anymore? Also, when liberating French territory, would the land go to the Brits or to the French?

I think PodCat took a screenshot from a WWW save where France became a nation within Britain. (British Franco union).

Ah cool. I should really start watching WWW.

Reactions:
I might be misunderstanding the UI, but why does France only have a Claim on Centre while the UK and Germany are the "owners"?

I think the screen comes from the WWW where the "Franco-British Union" event happened, so France basically disappear from the game and all of his territories, divisions and stuff produced went to UK. That's why UK is the owner of the state while France (which doesn't exist anymore).