• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Due to all trials having failed in which I was not involved, the crime and legal system is hereby put on hold. This means characters are not allowed commit crimes anymore. I cannot babysit every trial case; especially not when it's for something small like slander.
This decision has been made after ML told me that the latest trial has failed after quite a lot of ICs have been written after I asked. Once the players are more ready for crimes I will consider bringing it back.))
((Good. Walpole may now live in peace...))

Reactions:
Once Peter, returned to the inn which he was staying at while in London. He realized that he had to write to Robert to make sure that he could help with the printing press and further his own agenda. So purchasing a pint of beer, Peter gets to work in writing the letter.

I would like to offer my services to you to help with your printing press.
I have heard that you gave the same chance to my farther and he turned it down. My farther, while smart was proud and did not like to rely on other people. But for his ignorance in not wanting to help you, I offer my apologies. Though I hope that you offer the same chances to me, I promise that if you do accept I will not let you down and will help you to the best of my abilities.
Also since I already posses some of the machinery for the actual printing press. It would not cost you as much to make the printing press, maybe all that would be needed is 75 ducats.
Though I hope that you do accept my proposal.
By Peter Andrews

Reactions:
((Seeing as how crimes are now null and void, I'm gonna propose Alyssa didn't accuse Hudson and Hayk of slander and sue, but instead publicly asked them for an apology or if thats not allowed and I still technically sued, I'm just going to say I dropped all charges on them both))

Reactions:
London 1472 - The Royal Chancellory
((joint IC between the @ThePatriotOfDreumel and me))

Robert was sitting in his office in the Chancellory. He was expecting to meet Henry Walpole today, the son of the late Count Walpole who has been a rival of his own father, may God give rest to his soul. The families had been in dispute for as long as Robert could remember, he could even recall his father giving him advise to stay as far away from every Walpole as he could. Today he would meet one, Robert hoped he could fix some of the damage that had been done between their families. As he heard a knock on his door he stood up and opened the door himself and let Count Henry Walpole of Meath enter.

Robert: Ah, Count Walpole, I am glad you came here today. Please, have a seat, do you wish for something to drink?

Henry: Thank you for the offer, I would like a glass of wine, if you have it here, Sir Robert of Huntingdon.

Robert: Sure.

He called for his assistant.

Robert: Rivington! Bring wine and glasses for the Count and myself.

After the servant had brought the drinks, both the Chancellor and Walpole seated themselves.

Henry Walpole: Thank you, sir.

Henry takes a sip of his wine.

Robert: Well, Sir Walpole, you asked for a meeting today. You know the history of our families therefore I am quite interested in the things you might have to say. What leads you to me, sir?

Henry: I came here to put aside our families differences, and to forge an alliance to stop the corruption and infighting within the Assembly.

Robert was relieved hearing this answer:

Robert: Putting away the differences between our families seems like a great idea to me. It was a rivalry between our fathers which should have died with both of them, may God have rest on their souls.

Henry: May God have rest on their souls.

Robert: I am also glad that you see the problems at the court at the moment. Everyone is suspecting everyone else to be a criminal or assassin. Nobles got attacked in the open streets, you yourself just got away with your life two times. This has to be stopped. My family has to be always protected by a mercenary and Mister Rivington knows more about fighting then you might think. What is your proposal to make a change in these matters?

Henry Walpole: We should reward loyalty more actively, and have harsher penalties for corruption. My other suggestion is to have more guards on the streets, to keep order, and if neccesary, intervene in battles.

Robert: I understand the point of guards in the streets and harsher penalties for corruption, Sir. But do you mean with “intervening in battles” - preventing fights in the streets? And what should rewarding loyalty mean? I think we should lead at first by example, trying to use reason and discussion over plots and murder.

Henry: By intervening in battles I mean to stop them from escalating, and to stop murder on the streets. And by rewarding loyalty I mean rewarding people whose loyalty has been proven, by giving them more chance to get positions in the council for expample. People who have been proven to be corrupt, should have penalties on the things they can do, to give them a harsher penalty than sitting for a couple of years.

Robert: But the Queen allready appoints only people into Small Council positions that have earned this position in some way or another and are therefore loyal in the eyes of Her Majesty. The only way I can think of removing corrupt and illoyal characters would be the following: Everyone who looses in a trial looses also his position in the government, may it be a seat in the Small Council or just the command over a unit.

Henry: I can agree to that. May they be found guilty of corruption a second time, and they are noble, they should lose their county, if they are clergy, they should lose their bishopric and if they are courtier, their trade companies, or be banned from voting for 5 years.

Robert: I disagree with the removal of titles, Sir. These are invested either by Her Majesty or the Holy Church for a lifetime and should only be taken away under dire circumstances. For the second part, the banning from voting, I can agree. Who is a suspect shall be unable to vote for one major voting session in the Royal Assembly. What do you say, Sir, shall these issues be brought as an act before the Assembly? We can additionally use our influence in the factions to make those matters heard.

Henry: I shall try to, but unlike you, I am not the leader of a faction.

Robert: But one last question is to answer, Count Walpole: How do we want to celebrate the end of the rivalry between our houses?

Henry: With a glass of this delicious wine!

Reactions:
((Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: Abstain
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Abstain
The Petty Crime and Punishment Act: Yes
Wartime Conscription Act: No
The Acceleration of Colonization Act: Yes
Rightful Rule over France Act: No
Owl Agenda: Ximeno
))
((Given that Ximeno is Master of Coin, you get to vote also on the Military Experience Requirement proposal from CoF Talbot. It's a small council vote :) ))

(Oxford; May 1472)

Life had been good in Oxford for Matthew. Despite the war with the Portuguese, his wife Andreia, Princess of Portugal, delivered their second child named Henry after Matthew's father. The war between the two countries had saddened her deeply but her loyalty reseted with England - Andreia had accepted that she was Matthew's property.
The Crown Prince was now 26 years old and had completed his studies at the renowned university. This meant it was time for him to move back to the capital, after all his plan had always been to work eventually at the London Grand College.
Matthew and his family moved back into Westminster Palace which was spacious enough to house them. A few days after his arrival, Matthew was given an office in one of the high towers of the mighty Grand College. He was excited for what the future would hold.

Last edited:
Wilhelm have received some information about the new proposed laws of the reign. He read the acts and provided his opinions about them

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: This law dealed with the practical aspect of the crime-fight, not with the legal one and given that Wilhelm didn't have much taste for public execution, he decided to Abstain.
The De Heretico Comburendo Act
: Wilhelm have some contrary opinion, given that he believed it went against the spirit of the The English Language Act, given that it reduces the capacity of english subjects to learn god's word. However, given that the issues of Church were complicated, he decided to Abstain.
The Petty Crime and Punishment Act
: Wilhelm agreed, some crime could be deal more efficient with one judge, of course with the limitation of the type of crime that required only one judge. Wilhelm voted Yes
Wartime Conscription Act:
Wilhelm believed that a law like this will only be required if the war plans weren't correctly prepared. Also, it was obvious that this kind of forced conscription will generate animosity against the crown and even generate rebellion in the future, something more dangerous that the lack of soldier for expansionist wars. Wilhelm decided to vote No
The Acceleration of Colonization Act
: The necesity of this law was obvious, England could expand its territories without bloodshed. He voted Yes
Rightful Rule over France Act
: Of course, in legal terms it was clear that the "de jure" demands of England should be forced, given the negative of the Valois "dinasty" to consider the rightfulness of this claims. Wilhelm voted Yes

After voting, WIlhelm met with his 6-years-old Son, Friedrich, whom he tried to be with the most he could. He has lost almost 2 years of his son's life and he didn't wanted to be a strange for him.
Friedrich: You were there in that big building, Vater? How it is inside? Was there the Queen?

Wilhelm: Yes my son, she's always there listening to her subjects, one have to care for the people on its care. After saying those words, Wilhelm saw his son face, he was smiling and that hurt Wilhelm, because he knew he would have to go soon. My son, i believe is time for you to have a more formal education.

Friedrich was still smiling, he was a good boy who wanted to gain his father respect, he wanted to be like him!

Reactions:
((Sorry, I don't have much time at the moment, so I will keep it just to the votes.

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: No
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: No
Rightful Rule over France Act: Yes

Owl Agenda: Ximeno

William Clifford, Count of Cumbria and Lord of Mann - 9 votes))

Reactions:
((This Joint IC between @delpiero1234 and me takes place in the Royal Palace))

Hayk has been summoned by the Queen, he supposed it was related with the presence of that Woman who claimed that she was a native of Ceylon. He entered into the royal hall and bowed to the Queen, who in recent months have added Norway to her demesne, making her one of the most powerful rulers of Europe.

“Your Highness, this humble servant of yours is honored to be in your presence” said Wilhelm Hayk while bowing

“Thank you for coming, Mr Hayk.” The Queen smiled as she was happy to see her explorer.

“May I ask why do you required my presence?”

Elizabeth looked surprised by Hayk’s question.
“Why do you think I have summoned you here? I want a report on when the next expedition to Ceylon takes place. Is everything going according to plan?”

“Certainly your highness, at this time, my crew is getting all the supplies on the ships, we should be ready to sail on in a couple days” Hayk stopped, took a deep breath and said: “I am sorry if didn’t understand the intentions behind my summoning, but given the recent commotion that the Woman of the East has caused in the court and her accusations against me and the General Hudson, I didn’t know what to expect.”

“Leave Alyssa be! She will be of great use to the ERTC. Don’t you see that? You should concentrate on your expeditions, not on her.” Elizabeth gave Hayk an angry look.

“I understand your Highness, I believe it was just a misunderstanding”. Hayk took some maps out of his bag and showed them to the Queen. “As you can see here in the Map, we will part from Portsmouth to the Port of Sevilla where we will resupply, then we will take the same route to this island that we found the last time” Hayk signaled the recently drawn island “ After that, we will try to keep traveling to the West where I believe we will finally find Ceylon.

“It seems you have it all figured out. Very good. I want you to take William Becket with you to India. Drop him off when you reach the coast. He will explore India to establish trading connections with the Indian kingdoms.”

“As you wish, I will make contact with Herr Becket to inform him and make the required preparations. Also, I will provide your Highness with a copy of this map as soon as possible”

“Very well. May God watch over your expedition. You are dismissed.” Elizabeth was happy that she had entrusted the exploration of India to this capable man. She was confident that he would bring glory to the realm.

Reactions:
Alyssa sat down in her room and began to write a letter
Dear Ximeon,
I understand that you are a very busy man, but I must be informed in due haste whether you have allowed me to go to Bergen and conduct trade missions for the crown and the reputation of the ERTC
Yours truly,
Alyssa Nuzhat, Merchant of the Royal Trading Company

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: Yes
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Yes

((Given that Ximeno is Master of Coin, you get to vote also on the Military Experience Requirement proposal from CoF Talbot. It's a small council vote :) ))

((Forgot that :rolleyes:.))
Ximeno will abstain from this act, as it is an internal decision of the military. He wouldn't expect any general to tell him how to appoint his own merchants, so he won't meddle in their affairs.

Alyssa sat down in her room and began to write a letter
Dear Ximeon,
I understand that you are a very busy man, but I must be informed in due haste whether you have allowed me to go to Bergen and conduct trade missions for the crown and the reputation of the ERTC
Yours truly,
Alyssa Nuzhat, Merchant of the Royal Trading Company

((private))
Gilen is desperate as he reads his father's instructions one more time to make sure he doesn't miss some secret meaning in there. No, he still finds nothing else than what is written down here. He sighs. How best to tell that to the woman waiting for him to call her into his office? Once more perhaps...
Son,
I have gotten a letter from that foreign woman, I won't even try to write her name, as she didn't even try to adress me correctly. She wants to go to Bergen for the ERTC - well, what folly is this! A foreign woman, from 'Ceylon', that has a past as diplomat's daughter. I am certain you see the same thing that I do. And a bad diplomat at that, seeing that she wrote that she is a merchant of the ERTC, but neither used my title nor any of my offices - even if I am her superior, as you are too. Then, she has not the least experience on her side - just that she had been hired by the Queen herself. No wonder that I had to repair the economy! The woman could be a princess, I'd still not place her at an important trade port! Lastly, she is a foreign woman, quite easily to see - I wouldn't know anyone who wouldn't try to use that to his own advantage. A risk I can't take, as then it would of course be my fault and not the Queen's. 'The reputation of the ERTC' she wants to advance is my reputation at stake.
Send her to the Shetlands - the one or two fishermen there will provide goods for the one ship that comes irregularly. She can negotiate with the two. Ah, and send word to Hayk as well - he shall take a native with him the next time he goes to Ceylon - Miss Whatever can probably serve as an interpreter upon his return.
Gilen puts aside the letter. 'Call her in.' He sighs.

'Ms Nuzhat, please sit down', he points towards a chair, 'or not. It won't take long.' She looks nervous, but each time she looks like she wants to say something, Gilen interrupts her. Better that way. 'You request to be appointed to Bergen?' Some nodding, before she can speak, Gilen interrupts again. 'Well, it might please you that my father has made a decision - not the one you expect though. How to say it...' Alyssa should know what comes now. 'My father feels it is best if you go to the Shetlands.'
'B-b-but Bergen...'
He ignores that. 'It is in the interest of the ERTC, and my father's instruction - I have to follow it as vice-executive, and as son, or I'll get my head ripped off.' He smiles, trying to ease the tension. 'Anyway, you are to go to the Shetlands, and buy the fish from the locals there to sell it in Germany later - a ship will come to take the stocks of fish you buy. And if Hayk returns with a native next time, you might serve as interpreter. That would be all.' Gilen stands up, indicating the door. Hard not to feel some mercy now, but it is his job, and if he wants to leave his father's shadow one day, he has to become an even greater merchant. 'Your ship awaits in the harbour.' Sad.

After she had left, Gilen writes some instructions to Hayk.
Mr Hayk,
As you prepare your next expedition to Ceylon, I would ask that you bring back a native from your journey. We might learn a lot from him.

Gilen Arantxez, Vice-Executive of the ERTC

Herr Aramtxez,
I understand the reason of your proposal, i hope this shed some light on things happening now in the realm. I promise it will be done
Thanks for all
Wilhelm Hayk

((Private))
Alyssa walked to her crappy room in crappy England and packed her crappy things in a crappy little bag.
She was really not happy. She chucked everything in messily and slammed the bag close, sighing as she walked out of her room and slammed the door close behind her.
She started to regret coming to England, she just didn't fit here, no one seemed to really like her, she just seemed to be a nuisance to everyone, the stupid foreign girl from Ceylon who was savage and just unworthy of living in England.
Why didn't Gilen just let her talk? She could've convinced him to let her go to Bergen instead of him being a puppet of his father and sending her to worthless Shetland instead.
She walked to the port and looked at the boats - they ranged from merchant ships to transport ships and then there was hers.. she couldn;t really call it a ship, it looked more like a piece of wood barely staying afloat - destined to be shipwrecked before they even set sail.
She really did not want to go to Shetland.. it was so empty.. and so.. isolated. She cried a little as she boarded the ship, thinking of home and how she was actually respected there.
She set sail, alone with her thoughts (and the captain obviously) and thought about her life in England.

Reactions:
John was happy to see that many of his acts were being put forward to the assembly, indeed even the honourable Robert of Huntingdon seemed to grasp his meaning when he put forward the rightful rule over France act. He had made quite a stir at court already, which surprised him. He imagined himself as meek, but it seemed that most he had met felt him brash and coarse, he must try to seek amends somehow in the future, he felt. But still he cast his ballot, and hoped for a successful session of the Assembly.

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: Yes
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Yes
Wartime Conscription Act: Abstain
Military Experience Requirement for ranks: Yes

London 1474 - Of Huntingdons House
((not having much time today, just some quick reasoning for every issue))

At his home, Robert, was writing a letter to the Assembly. Multiple issues had been brought forth, two by himself in the name of his faction. His votes and some reasoning where summarized in his letter but he wouldn't go there to debate the issues with the other candidates, none of the acts seemed so outrageous to him that they needed discussion. He had to prepare for a second journey to Poland and got no time for this folly today.

Making Executions more brutal doesn't help anybody. The criminals still get executed so they aren't scared away and the crown is simply seen less civilised.

Why shouldn't people read the word of God in their native language? What bad can come from it? Shouldn't clergyman like John Bourchier be happy if the normal man reads the Bible? Every sunday they want us to listen to them talking about it, why denying people access to it?

If small crimes which don't need much investigation are tried, then one judge should be sufficient.

Arming random men is one of the most stupid ideas brought forth to this Assembly. You get people to fight who haven't used a weapon in their life or never participated in a battle. They'll loose morale and desert within the blink of an eye. We would be better of to search the realm harder for voluntaries.

Strengthening colonization would help the crown to expand their influence in far away places without warfare, this is most preferable.

Even if this act by John Bourchier is aimed to agressively attack France, I was able to give the burden of actually proposing war to someone else. Elizabeth I is the rightful ruler of France, there is therefore no denying.

Obviously General Talbot wasn't in control of his own faction. This last issue confirms this. It is quite contrary to the Wartime Conscription Act - The latter one proposes that random people may join the army, this one favours experience over everything else. - Of course I am glad however, that he doesn't want to promote officers just because of their nobility but because of their abilities and experience. This would help to give England a professional army.

After writing his reasoning down, Robert had two more letters to send:

@LadyAlyssa
Dear Miss Nuzhat,
I am glad that you followed my advice and dropped the charges on the two noble man, General Hudson and Explorer Wilhelm Hayk. With this missunderstanding out of the way I welcome you to join the Foxes, may you add your experience from far away lands so our faction may be stronger.
With my best regards,
Lord Chancellor Robert of Huntingdon, First of the Foxes.

@Rapop101
Dear Mister Andrews,
your father has denied my gracious offer to join my endeavours in starting a printing press in the Chancellory. I hope therefore, that you as his son didn't inherit his false understanding of pride and honour. If you want to work at the printing press in the Chancellory you will work for me and would be under my supervision, you would follow the orders that I give you. You must understand, dear Mister Andrews, that I do not need your help, but I could use your service. You shall therefore come to the Chancellory tomorrow morning and if you don't fail my questions you might be given a place to work in the workshop.
Lord Chancellor Robert of Huntingdon.

((At the Royal Assembly))

This time, there was more controversy among the delegates of the Royal Assembly which was emphasised by three of the acts failing to acquire the necessary majority.

((
Owl Agenda: Ximeno's Plan (Tie between Ximeno's Plan and Alexander's Plan. Given that Ximeno is the leader, I have cast a tie-breaker in his favor.)

The Foxes are now the strongest faction due to Alyssa having joined them.

@alscon Please give me a list of the priorities of the projects the master of mint wishes to finance should you be unhappy with the list of priorities I made. I believe you allowed the
  • Funding of a paper mill for 100 ducats
  • The construction of 7 light ships
  • The construction of temples in the provinces ML has listed.
So unless you want something changed; money will be spent first on the paper mill, then on the light ships and only then on temples.))

Last edited:
Peter was in Edinburgh, arguing with a few of the fishermen about the outrageous prices. 10 shillings for 2 smacker, honestly who did they think they were, fish is dirt cheap in Scarborough. He had no idea why he was even here, Edward had said something about expanding the business to the Northern islands.
When he finally haggled the fish down too four shillings, still an outrageous price. After this Peter returned to his own ship and set sail for Scarborough. When one of the crew members ran in, handing Peter two letters he ran out. One was from the Royal assembly and the other from Robert of Huntington, most likely concerning his letter, hopefully he agreed and decided not to ruin his life, by continuously rejecting his proposals.

For the royal Assembly, Peter was pleased. Thank god that they hadn't passed the dreadful acts of the Capital punishment and the Bible burner act. Both of these crimes were to horrible, Hung, drawn and quarter, was just plain disgusting, like someone dragged it out of a nightmare and Edward told me about what the Castillians had done to the Muslims in Granada and that's why he would never help with anything to do with being burnt at the stake.
They had also passed the colonial act, meaning that Peter would get a job soon.
Finally, Peter read that Ximenos agenda had become the official one in the Owls, that would mean Ximeno would become even more powerful, but he was a clever man and it was better to have someone clever that a nutter, not that Alexander was a nutter, it was that Ximeno is better to lead due to being master of the coin. Hopefully in the future, Peter could become important just like them, other than bottom of the court food chain, other than poor Alyssa, being ganged up on.

After reading this, Peter drank a glass of beer, getting ready for what Roberts letter had to say.
Thank god Robert accepted Peter thought, now he could further his own agenda. But he better sail immediately to the Chancellery. He doesn't want to be late for the first day.

Reactions:
((@alscon Please give me a list of the priorities of the projects the master of mint wishes to finance should you be unhappy with the list of priorities I made. I believe you allowed the
  • Funding of a paper mill for 100 ducats
  • The construction of 7 light ships
  • The construction of temples in the provinces ML has listed.
So unless you want something changed; money will be spent first on the paper mill, then on the light ships and only then on temples.))

((The paper mill discussion was five years ago :rolleyes:. Might make it gameplay-wise that the whole project costs 200 ducats if we agree on it in five years. Else, it looks fine as it is, just add some workshops as part of Ximeno's Owl agenda - I'd say in the cloth/iron provinces as these are/ can produce good wares for export.))

((The paper mill discussion was five years ago :rolleyes:. Might make it gameplay-wise that the whole project costs 200 ducats if we agree on it in five years. Else, it looks fine as it is, just add some workshops as part of Ximeno's Owl agenda - I'd say in the cloth/iron provinces as these are/ can produce good wares for export.))
((I guess there were "complications" with building the paper mill then ;) I think the IC about funding it was posted after the chapter so I had no way of building it in-game. We have currently less than 100 ducats in the treasury so building the actual printing press is something that can be discussed after next chapter, I'd say :p
Will add a few workshops if we have the funds. I actually doubt that we'll be building more than one or two new buildings given that the 7 light ships cost us 140 ducats alone. ))