• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think most laptops are actually perfectly capable of playing PDX games, my old laptop sure was, but holy shit when i got this laptop i was surprised at what speed 5 is like! 1 month passes in 1.5 seconds, it's insane!

I always scratch my head a bit when i see people complaining about ck2/eu4's performance (other than a slight memory leak issue in late game). i honestly think they may be blaming the game for something more likely to be caused by outdated drivers, hardware with compatibility problems, faulty hardware, other programs hogging up system resources running in the background, et cetera.

EDIT: also a lot of people forget that GPU doesn't matter as much for most PDX games, what is really important is having a powerful CPU

so.... you're problem is that France is France? :rolleyes:

I don't have a huge problem with it, it's just weird when you're playing the big boy with the butter and every other day someone asks if it's alright to duel their rival. Of course the women are plotting to kill each other and bastard children. It's just one big bloody mess.

I think most laptops are actually perfectly capable of playing PDX games, my old laptop sure was, but holy shit when i got this laptop i was surprised at what speed 5 is like! 1 month passes in 1.5 seconds, it's insane!

I always scratch my head a bit when i see people complaining about ck2/eu4's performance (other than a slight memory leak issue in late game). i honestly think they may be blaming the game for something more likely to be caused by outdated drivers, hardware with compatibility problems, faulty hardware, other programs hogging up system resources running in the background, et cetera.

The game IS slow.
Most likely, people complain about speed because they've witnessed the decrease in perfomance with each expansion... Just to show some data: in my PC a year with the latest version lasts about 30s, and a year in the earliest version lasts 15s.

Don't get it really, about which time-passing you are talking about above?

In-game, i have or set it so, that 1 day needs ca. 1 second.

Do i understand right, you play it like 360 days (ca. 1 year) need only 30 seconds of realtime?
Per day ca. 0.08 seconds realtime, really?
Is this kinda default setting of the game? ... i can't remember how it was before i changed the speed.

Don't get it really, about which time-passing you are talking about above?

In-game, i have or set it so, that 1 day needs ca. 1 second.

Do i understand right, you play it like 360 days (ca. 1 year) need only 30 seconds of realtime?
Per day ca. 0.08 seconds realtime, really?
Is this kinda default setting of the game? ... i can't remember how it was before i changed the speed.

You can set different speeds for the game with the "+" and "-" keys. The speed I mentioned is at full speed and I don't think anyone plays in such way, but it's a good way to measure how the game performs --and the changes in performance--

You can set different speeds for the game with the "+" and "-" keys. The speed I mentioned is at full speed and I don't think anyone plays in such way, but it's a good way to measure how the game performs --and the changes in performance--

Many, many people play at Speed 5. I tend to be one of them, playing the majority (75-80%) of my time at either Speed 4 or 5. I do pause a lot though.

Reactions:
Will personal claims get lost again in the new patch when i lose a war for it ?

Currently (since 2.4) one doesn't lose a claim aynmore.

I didn't see anything in the patch notes for any 2.4 patch, so i guess it's NOT WAD, even though the text also doesn't show up anymore in the CB tooltip ?
I was quite surprised when i read a thread on it and tested and confirmed it.
I only found one unconfirmed/unacknowledged bug report: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-losing-claim-after-losing-claim-war.884820/

That can't be working as designed and if so, why wasn't it mentioned in the patch notes ?

edit: posted a bug report myself.

Last edited:
Many, many people play at Speed 5. I tend to be one of them, playing the majority (75-80%) of my time at either Speed 4 or 5. I do pause a lot though.

Well then I stand corrected.

Paradox please fix the bugged refresh rate slider in video settings.
If you choose a refresh rate above your lowest possible rate it works.
But after the game restart it shows the lowest value in display settings again but
it's running at the right setting you choosed.
For example my display: 60Hz - 144Hz.
I choose 144Hz and then restart the game. Now the 144Hz are working but
in settings menu it shows 60Hz again. The slidder is bugged.
It's fixed in EU 4. Victoria 2 has the same bug....

Register your game and report it in the Bug Reports subforum.

I've wondered this, too, no wonder people complain about performance, then. I play at speed 3 and sometimes 4 during a regency. But even at those speeds I find myself pausing often and getting overwhelmed with messages. I guess I'm getting too old!

Reactions:
View attachment 155094
Full patchnotes will be released with the patch...

Wait a minute...I don't understand; everyone has been telling me that RESTARTING the whole game is practically a must-have when loading/starting a new one...why was an option to load from a game-over screen added?

Wait a minute...I don't understand; everyone has been telling me that RESTARTING the whole game is practically a must-have when loading/starting a new one...why was an option to load from a game-over screen added?

Restarting the game is to reset the checksum. You can afford to reload your game once or twice using the load screen. But yeah, doing it too often might screw things up when the checksum changes too much.

EDIT: also a lot of people forget that GPU doesn't matter as much for most PDX games, what is really important is having a powerful CPU

so.... you're problem is that France is France? :rolleyes:

My gaming laptop can run games, that require 5 times more power than CK 2, perfectly. So the problem is with CK 2, not my laptop.

My gaming laptop can run games, that require 5 times more power than CK 2, perfectly. So the problem is with CK 2, not my laptop.

I don't know your laptop and othergames specifically but the clausewitz engine utilizes a GPU feature insanely heavily that most games barely even touch and that is GPU computation. Most other games only use it for things like physics and will often dish it off to third party software like Mantle and Physx. Paradox games, specifically Vic/ck/hoi/stellaris/eu4 run heavily with computation. If your graphics card is fast but lacks cores, the CPU has to pick up the slack on computation and aside from EU4, most of the games so far have failed horribly due to poor CPU core utilization when using software shaders/computation. Starting with dx12 and Vulkan 1.0(releasing early march) every game that utilizes AI and computation from GPU's will recieve a major unprecidented jump in performance due to the unlocking of CPU cores for asynchronous computation. It will basically be universally all around "Mantle on steroids" game development. Vulkan will support many old generation cards and either push Dx12 off the market completely or force Microsoft to allow dx12 on Windows 7/8 or face extinction. The only people who will lose out on this major tech leap are iOS people because Apple is trying to market its own version called metal and its horrendously far behind in implimentation and Apple wanted no part of Vulkan development.

Reactions:
I don't know your laptop and othergames specifically but the clausewitz engine utilizes a GPU feature insanely heavily that most games barely even touch and that is GPU computation. Most other games only use it for things like physics and will often dish it off to third party software like Mantle and Physx. Paradox games, specifically Vic/ck/hoi/stellaris/eu4 run heavily with computation. If your graphics card is fast but lacks cores, the CPU has to pick up the slack on computation and aside from EU4, most of the games so far have failed horribly due to poor CPU core utilization when using software shaders/computation. Starting with dx12 and Vulkan 1.0(releasing early march) every game that utilizes AI and computation from GPU's will recieve a major unprecidented jump in performance due to the unlocking of CPU cores for asynchronous computation. It will basically be universally all around "Mantle on steroids" game development. Vulkan will support many old generation cards and either push Dx12 off the market completely or force Microsoft to allow dx12 on Windows 7/8 or face extinction. The only people who will lose out on this major tech leap are iOS people because Apple is trying to market its own version called metal and its horrendously far behind in implimentation and Apple wanted no part of Vulkan development.

I have 640 CUDA cores, is that good?