• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 28th January 2016

Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.

Reactions:
With the gap from Sligo to Hungary being only 25 or about a 10% increase, it seems like something where the base value contributes much more than the country. Maybe some kind of officer pool. Could it be a rework of how you recruit generals? Don't see a big need to shift away from using Military Points, but the Army and Navy traditions are tricky to manage, so maybe something moe simple?
Could be. My bet is on something which involves less randomness. I think that Paradox has noticed that players hate randomness (the old disasters, the old rebel system) and the new system is probably a new resource which the players can control to reliably generate something else. What else... I could not say. But going by the icon, it should be something related to the military.

Reactions:
There is definitely a line going down the east coast of ireland around the Pale and Leinster in the culture map mode.

Or
With the gap from Sligo to Hungary being only 25 or about a 10% increase, it seems like something where the base value contributes much more than the country. Maybe some kind of officer pool. Could it be a rework of how you recruit generals? Don't see a big need to shift away from using Military Points, but the Army and Navy traditions are tricky to manage, so maybe something moe simple?
Or a reflection of coastline. Manpower in coastal provinces maybe?

Reactions:
Actually, there is a line around the Pale and around that Cork province. Need automatic updates to complete so I can check on something else than my phone.

I like the new cultural set-up, with split up Hungarian and Russian. Not too happy with the new way cultural groups work, but that's just personal taste and easily changed; I get why it's done.

Reactions:
Total nonsence. Czech and Slovak are both west slavic ,though there was an unsuccessful atempt to germanize bohemian kingdom and hungarize slovak minority ,nowadays people of both czech and slovak republic can communicate by using their own language with each other . There is even a theory that czech and slovak are 2 branches of the same language. If you would tell me face to face that czech is german language or slovaks are hungarian , in czech republic I would take that as an insult.

Reactions:
Czech language and culture is slavic. They have german words but the way the grammar works and everything they are slavs. I don't know why everybody gets it so confused.
- he is referring to the fact that on sreens slovaks are part of new carpathian culture, which unites romanians, hungarians, slovaks and transylvanians. Hence he asks that shouldnt by that logic silesians and czechs be part of german group. Language and grammars have nothing to do with it.

Reactions:
@riadach ok looked carefully, the Pale Province is marked out in the cultural map mode. It has the same colour border on that map mode as the internal cultures of say France etc. The colour in the Pale province is the same as the Celtic group so that's a Hiberno-Norman or Old English culture.

I wonder what minors will be that culture. Kildare definitely but who else!

Reactions:
Total nonsence. Czech and Slovak are both west slavic ,though there was an unsuccessful atempt to germanize bohemian kingdom and hungarize slovak minority ,nowadays people of both czech and slovak republic can communicate by using their own language with each other . There is even a theory that czech and slovak are 2 branches of the same language. If you would tell me face to face that czech is german language or slovaks are hungarian , in czech republic I would take that as an insult.
Remember languge =/= culture. The Slovaks were culturally more close to Hungarians, then Czechs, even thought they had almost same language.
There is also gameplay reason to have Slovaks in Hungarian group - Hungarians are no longer alone! Yay!

Reactions:
Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.
Im assuming 1.16 wont be compatible with saves at all due to map changes?

It's debatable. As far as I know during this period the Slovaks were definitely influenced a lot by the Hungarians. They did have a Slavic language but they were joined at the hip with Hungarians up until the 1800s, I think.

Sure, there was no Slovakian state at all in the EU4 period, just the people. Highlanders mostly ruled by Hungarian Nobles. But those people are so much West Slavic as it could be :)

Reactions:
Few changes I think. The croatian borders are quite bad I think. And would be great to see changes in other parts of the map, like France, Austria, Scandinavia or Iberia.

Reactions:
1.15 is barely out, we haven't even gotten 1.15.1. It's safe to say that 1.16 is at least 1 month away. So you can probably start playing, if you don't mind reading new dev diaries with cool, new features.

at least 2 months.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Johan :). Love the new look Ireland, and intrigued at the new take on cultures. Looking forward to the new concept, you big tease :p.