• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Conclave Dev Diary #2 Power to the Council

Greetings!

I know last year featured a lot of dev diaries with very little information about new features of the game. The reason for this was the lack of an announcement of the expansion and we had decided not to talk about the expansion before the announcement. All that has changed now and last week @Doomdark gave you an overview of the features we’ve added and the aim of the expansion.

This week we’re going to go a bit deeper into the new council mechanics.

@Groogy has written the following presentation of the council:

So to the meat of this expansion and my favorite part. The empowerment of the council. As we promised we were gonna let the council in on the day to day governing of your realm becoming more than simply a privy council. Now in fact the strongest vassals in your realm will threaten with civil war if they are not given a position where they can become part of your council and in turn giving them influence on the politics of your realm. Having them on the council prevents them from joining factions and as a liege you can use this to stabilize his/her realm. The councillor will adopt a certain position, these are the colorful icons you see, and this position will dictate how they align themselves with the decisions you take but we will cover that in a later dev diary.
1.jpg

Since King Alfonso is a paranoid guy and constantly in hiding, his realm is mostly ruled by his council...

The councillors can choose to either yay, nay or abstain from a vote. You also get a vote (always voting yes when you’re suggesting something) and your own vote decides in the case of a tie. The characters abstaining from a vote are always swayed by the distribution of diplomacy skill between the yay and nay sayers. Meaning that some highly influential members might turn the tide in a vote as they persuade the voters that have no opinion on the matter. If the council has a majority voting yes on an action, you’ll be free to take that action, but if the council votes against the action, you face the choice of either going against the council or do something else. Going against the council will make it discontent as you have broken the contract with them. Such action also incur tyranny and the council members become free to create and join factions again for a limited time.

For conclave we have also changed how regencies work and the old system with a single regent deciding everything is gone. Instead, If you are in a regency, the regent is put on the council and will vote instead of you and you don’t have the option of going against a council vote.

2.jpg

The council also have powers to vote on your laws and even propose that a vote shall be started on something they want by cashing in on a favor they might have with their liege. But we will cover the redone laws in the next dev diary as well.

Next up @Moah, our newest addition to the team, will explain some of the new tools you have to influence your council members and how you as a vassal can make your liege do things for you:

Hello everyone,

I’m @Moah and I joined Paradox and the CK2 team recently. I’m here today to talk about Favors. As you know, in the game relationships to other characters are important, especially family. But family, friendships and rivalries are not the only kind of relationships that exist. Sometimes you just do a favor for someone, and hope that somewhere down the line, they’ll return it.

And since in the CK2 timeline debts, honor and duty had such a huge impact, we’ve modelled that through a mechanic we cleverly called “favors”.

Getting Support on the Council

As a liege (or part of the council), you can call in a favor on a council member to make them vote like you on the council for one year. This can be used to get an ok to revoke that title you want, execute someone you want to see dead and start that war that you’ve longed for, but the killjoys of the council is constantly saying no to, without the hassle of tyranny and factions. If you don’t have a favor to call in, you can request support from a council member in exchange of a favor. They can turn this down, but if they accept they’ll vote just as if you called a favor on them. The difference is that now you owe them a favor. This is one of the basic generators of favors and a way that vassals gain favors on their lieges. As a liege you can often gain a favor by fulfilling the ambition of a vassal and everyone can accept a sum of money in exchange for a favor. When dealing with powerful lords, you can expect their price to be quite high however.

You can only owe someone at most one favor at a time, so if you already owe them, you’ll have to wait in requesting support again until they’ve used that favor to gain something back. Council members can also call favors on each other and a clever vassal can set up scenarios where they control how the council votes.

Forcing Acceptance

Say you’ve accepted to support your liege on the council, or you paid the emperor of the HRE a large sum of money and you want your investment to pay off. With a favor in hand you can make them accept a marriage (some limitations apply) and gain that Non-Aggression pact you’ve been longing for.

Invite to Court, Educate Child and the Embargo interactions can also use favors to force acceptance and as the liege you can use a favor to keep a character out of factions.

Building a Strong Faction

If you have favors from your fellow vassals, you can use those to get them to join your faction (if they are valid to join the faction) and since they’re bound by the favor, they cannot freely leave the faction.

Pressing a Claim

If your liege owes you a favor, you can use that favor to propose a war declaration where he/she presses one of your claims. In order to do this, the council needs to vote in favor of the war declaration. The liege can deny your proposition, but doing so incurs tyranny and makes the council discontent.

There are more uses of favors that will be presented along with their respective features, but these were some of the basic ones.

3.png

4.png

Now @rageair will walk you through another new feature, the Realm Peace and how it will help you bring order to the realm.

Realm Peace

5.jpg

Previously, your level of Crown Authority decided if vassals were allowed to declare war or not. As of Conclave we’ve replaced this system with a more intuitive one - Realm Peace. With Realm Peace the ruler, in accordance with the Council, decide when wars waged between your vassals have to end. Do you need to change your Succession Law but your vassals just won’t stop fighting? Is the precarious balance of power in your realm being shifted by warmongering vassals? Enforce Realm Peace to make them stop!

After pressing the Realm Peace button your vassals have 3 months before the peace takes effect, after which all wars will end with a white peace. The Peace is then enforced for 60 months before your vassals can declare any internal wars. A long cooldown ensures that you’ll only want to use this ability when it’s really important, and when playing as a vassal you won’t ever find yourself in a completely deadlocked position where you’re not able to attack at all any longer!

Favors and Realm Peace

As a vassal, you can use a favor on your liege to interact with realm peace in two ways. First, you can block your liege from using the Realm Peace or stop a pending Realm Peace from taking effect. This makes sure that you actually get time to win the war that you invested all your precious coin to hire those Swiss mercenaries to fight for you and don’t just end up with nothing gained and empty coffers.

Secondly, you can ask your liege to use the Realm Peace for you. This can be pretty handy when you’re working your way to power and your rivals decide it’s time to partition your lands and join those parts into their own lands.
6.png

That’s all for this week. Next week we’ll take a closer look at how council members vote, the new education system and how we’re turning feudal lords into small business owners.

Reactions:
I'm cautiously optimistic that if these changes work, they will open the way in future for (i) inland republics, (ii) playable theocracies, complete with cardinal-electors, and/or (iii) East Asia, including shogunates and so on.

Shogunates? We can only dream of that.... Theres a long way from India to Japan, and China has a lot of history from this era

Reactions:
interesting, so assuming I'm a council member and I bribe 3 other council member could I force the passage of Elective Monarchy, making it easier for me to seize the throne. Or does the King still have final say so he can reject Elective Monarchy although it would cause him to be seen as a tyrant?

Just a thought here, and we haven't seen how things like inheritance might be affected by councils - but if they can be changed through that mechanism then perhaps a fail-safe should be put in place for them, as they are a special and unique set of laws unlike say taxation. You could call the modifier "tradition" and the longer such a law has been in place, unchanged, it would be much harder to change, the people of the realm would react very badly, especially if it was some "evil councilors" forcing the king's hand. So my thinking is that the very conservative medieval society would not react well at all to a powerful councilor calling in a few favours to introduce an elective system - spitting on the centuries old practice of primogeniture for instance. I'm not saying such a modifier should prohibit ever securing change, but you'd have to change slowly and gradually - so maybe you can only manage a change in the gender rules to a more restrictive male only inheritance. And should this lead to more succession crisis's then there's your opportunity to strike.

Ultimately one thing I would want for this is that you cannot (all the time) engineer everything to your favour (such as the example above). You should be forced more often that not to react well to crisis and opportunity - the sign of a canny political operator. Ultimately it's not about your grand plans, but about the events dear boy, events.

Reactions:
Perhaps there could be differences for Christian tribals as opposed to pagan/muslim tribals when it comes to favours.

In the eighth century, Irish kings (be they at the level of province, duchy or kingdom) were not domini terra, i.e. they did not own the land under their control, like feudal lords idealistically did, and their vassals were not appointees idealistically administering lands on their behalf, but sub-kings who viewed themselves as representatives of their respective people and kingroups. This means that these kings had even less leverage over their subjects than feudal lords had and had to provide them with even more advantages in order to retain their support. They had to fulfill the rigorous prerogatives of kingship or they risked being deposed and killed. I would then put even more restrictions on their decision making (such as giving the right to rival dynasties to gain a seat on the title, simlar to nomads) not less.

Reactions:
Will it be possible to disable Enforce Realm Peace for certain cultures/religions?

Thinking along these lines, should there not be two versions - the absolute realm peace if it's all going to shit, the King's peace has absolutely broken down, and there are dozens of smaller wars in place, and you need everyone to stop.

But most times the crown interfered with two warring vassals was to end a squabble between two parties and that's that. Considering the massive cooldown, I'm not going to trigger it to prevent such conflicts. But there is something to work around with here - the crown intervenes to end a conflict, or return stolen land. Obviously this gives the crown the support of whoever benefited from the intervention, and the ire of whoever suffered as a result. This could easily be tied in with the favours system. It could also tie in with the tyranny system - is the aggressor in this obviously pressing forward with a fraudulent claim, and the crown refused to intervene because the aggressor duke is the crown's friend?

It might also be a way of a building your realm - if an independent small ruler is being hammered by the vassal of a king, the king could offer vassalisation of the independent ruler. In accepting the crown acknowledges said ruler's lands - hence the vassal of the king is now prevented from warring against them. The king gains a new (possibly loyal) vassal, and grows the realm, but the ire of the vassal who was seeking to expand his own territory.

The realm peace does look like a sensible addition, but it looks like it might function only as an "emergency brake" option - a more nuanced and targeted option could be available, and could fit in with other new aspects of the game.

Reactions:
Now, since it's been mentioned that the council can have varying levels of power as to what they actually have a say in, do all realms of the same government type start at the same amount of council authority, or will there be some variance?

Thinking along these lines, should there not be two versions - the absolute realm peace if it's all going to shit, the King's peace has absolutely broken down, and there are dozens of smaller wars in place, and you need everyone to stop.

But most times the crown interfered with two warring vassals was to end a squabble between two parties and that's that. Considering the massive cooldown, I'm not going to trigger it to prevent such conflicts. But there is something to work around with here - the crown intervenes to end a conflict, or return stolen land. Obviously this gives the crown the support of whoever benefited from the intervention, and the ire of whoever suffered as a result. This could easily be tied in with the favours system. It could also tie in with the tyranny system - is the aggressor in this obviously pressing forward with a fraudulent claim, and the crown refused to intervene because the aggressor duke is the crown's friend?

It might also be a way of a building your realm - if an independent small ruler is being hammered by the vassal of a king, the king could offer vassalisation of the independent ruler. In accepting the crown acknowledges said ruler's lands - hence the vassal of the king is now prevented from warring against them. The king gains a new (possibly loyal) vassal, and grows the realm, but the ire of the vassal who was seeking to expand his own territory.

The realm peace does look like a sensible addition, but it looks like it might function only as an "emergency brake" option - a more nuanced and targeted option could be available, and could fit in with other new aspects of the game.
Well, I'm mostly looking at it from the modding perspective for non-humans. Humans or elves or dwarves could have such a concept as "Enforcing Realm Peace", but orcs, beastmen and so forth should not be capable of clicking it ever, under any circumstances. Right now it's easy to restrict away the higher tiers of the Crown Authority laws (or the whole section) so that internal peace can be achieved only by certain species, but the way that "Enforce Realm Peace" button appears on the interface makes me wary.

Shogunates? We can only dream of that.... Theres a long way from India to Japan, and China has a lot of history from this era
Oh, indeed. I'm just noticing that we're moving in a direction which would support this if it were desired. I know less about Chinese history, but I get the impression from others' comments that this is a potential step in the right direction for that too.

nd

I have some questions about the upcoming DLC. I don't expect them to be answered all at once, or even answered at all, but I have to ask anyway : P. Furthermore, sorry if any of these questions have already been asked. The thread is just too long.

Republics: Concerning the new changes to Crown Authority, how will this influence republics gameplay? One of the main issues (at least for me) with Republics was that, even if I understood the reasoning behind CA limit (patrician infighting) it made a lot of other cool CA features unavailable. I'm also curious about the "enforce realm peace" feature within republics. It is my understanding that feudal realms will no longer be able to have full internal peace with the new system, and trying to be at full peace for long periods will be costly as you have to keep your vassals happy. So what about republics? Are they going to have the enforce peace feature as well or not? Maybe a limited form of enforced peace (in time or type of vassal that can wage war)?

Playing as a vassal: Another thing that I was really looking forward to was some flavour to play as a vassal. CK2, right now, only encourages the player to become emperor, keep stability and expand his realm. Being some sort of hybrid RP/Grand Strategy Game, I really liked the idea of playing other type of games, like the faithful vassal or the power behind the throne. Conclave gives me some hope in this regard, as finally vassals are something more than loyal or rebellious vassals, but instead have something to say about how to rule the country. So far we've seen Conclave features as a liege lord, but I really want to know if these features are going to be expanded as well to make being a vassal something more enjoyable. We've seen countless times during the middle ages how powerful vassals become almost de facto kings while there's still a de jure king, with no real power at all. Will the new favor system and intrigues allow a player to try to do anything close to this?

Succession laws: They were traditionally tied to Crown Authority. Now that CA is no longer available, how will different succession laws be made available?

De jure kingdoms: How will the different de jure kingdoms affect the whole "enforce realm peace" feature and the council itself? Currently in CK2 we can have different kingdoms with different Crown Laws with a single character. Again, now tha CA is no longer present, how will this affect the different realms and their laws? For example, council members are supposed to be able to enforce law changes during regencies. What if a noble in the council is from Scotland and you're the king of England? Will nobles be allowed to have more than one issue on their agenda?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this DLC. I can't wait to play it : )

Reactions:
Is there also a change about Charlemange making him more likely to from the HRE because i really never saw an AI form the HRE :/, not even with Chartlemagne...

I feel like this is by design because the game simulates the Karling crash better if he doesn't form the empire title.

I feel like this is by design because the game simulates the Karling crash better if he doesn't form the empire title.

Well, they do have the event scripted if he manages to form Francia, but in the few times I've seen that happen the Empire was hardly stable. Although, I've noticed that some times that event fires when any Karling manages to form Francia, not just Karl, so it may be a Karling specific event.

I am not talking about a major change here u know, just some tweaks like make it more likely Karl invades Lombardy, gets claim on bavaria and i am happy. If Karl doesn't conquer Lombardy HRE will prob never be formed since they need it to form it. I am sure the majority of the ck II players think this mechanic of the 769 start date is way to weak.

Reactions:
Hes way more likely to from Francia regardless. The amount of money he'd need to form the HRE before suddenly splitting apart is unreal and then he needs to get the popes approval which is also a pain because he own duches for land vassals for former Lombard king have. Land the AI probably wouldn't give to the pope anyways if they did get their hands on it after conquering Lombardia. I think the events as they stand are fine. We don't need the AI on heavier tracks than they already are when it comes to ol' King Karl. The fact that anyone is reporting that the HRE forms at all in some games seems proof enough to me that the possibility exists to the reasonable extent that it should.

Reactions:
So basically... We get a permanent regency (with a different name!) but instead of just being blocked from going against it we incur tyranny?

And now we no longer have Crown Laws to prevent vassals from fighting, we have to rely on some Council-voted Realm Peace with a long cooldown. What about the other stuff linked to Crown Laws, like Vassal Limits or Imperial Administration?

All in all, not excited. Changes are meh to downright bad.

Reactions:
Yeah. Might be good if you are a councilmember, but to me it just seems to burden the ruler.

Reactions:
So basically... We get a permanent regency (with a different name!) but instead of just being blocked from going against it we incur tyranny?

And now we no longer have Crown Laws to prevent vassals from fighting, we have to rely on some Council-voted Realm Peace with a long cooldown. What about the other stuff linked to Crown Laws, like Vassal Limits or Imperial Administration?

All in all, not excited. Changes are meh to downright bad.

Get tyranny is better than to be blocked... being blocked means you can't do nothing at all. If you play as vassal this give s you more influence too.
Imperial Administration is still in, they even added a new type 'Late'.

Reactions:
Now, since it's been mentioned that the council can have varying levels of power as to what they actually have a say in, do all realms of the same government type start at the same amount of council authority, or will there be some variance?

It's been mentioned that early Muslims start with an Absolutist Law that blocks voting.

Yeah. Might be good if you are a councilmember, but to me it just seems to burden the ruler.

That sounds period appropriate though?

Last edited: