• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is this going to be the final expansion? How do you know?
Final or second to final seems likely. Early last year they said there would be three more expansions, since then horselords and now conclave has been released, so there might be one more, but a lot could have changed in a year.

Reactions:
Is this going to be the final expansion? How do you know?
There's been no evidence to suggest this will be the last DLC. Anyone saying differently is just speculating.

Paradox will likely continue making DLC as long as it makes them money. Given the fact the number of CK2 players is actually higher now then it was at launch, we have every reason to believe they will keep making DLC.

Another thing. People have been saying "this will be the last DLC" for the past five DLCs in a row. And they've been wrong every time. In fact, the CK2 team has gotten even bigger despite the fact that Paradox has two other strategy games in the works.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Final or second to final seems likely. Early last year they said there would be three more expansions, since then horselords and now conclave has been released, so there might be one more, but a lot could have changed in a year.
I also remember reading there's no real reason to stop creating extra content, as long as there are enough players willing to buy it.

Actually not 100% sure this was about CK2, may've been EU4 or even Cities: Skylines, but it seems reasonable enough, albeit vague.

Reactions:
Do you have evidence to support that?
Stupid question. That dev diary has 304 dislikes. According to Steam Charts, CK2's peak player count today was 4,899. Now - we can safely assume that all CK2 players weren't logged into Steam at once. But even if they were, the people who disliked that diary would only represent 6% of the player base. So yeah - a vocal minority.

Last edited:
Reactions:
There's been no evidence to suggest this will be the last DLC. Anyone saying differently is just speculating.

Paradox will likely continue making DLC as long as it makes them money. Given the fact the number of CK2 players is actually higher now then it was at launch, we have every reason to believe they will keep making DLC.

Another thing. People have been saying "this will be the last DLC" for the past five DLCs in a row. And they've been wrong every time. In fact, the CK2 team has gotten even bigger despite the fact that Paradox has two other strategy games in the works.
Devs announced last year that there were plans for 2 more major DLCs, one being Horselords.

Reactions:
Devs announced last year that there were plans for 2 more major DLCs, one being Horselords.
Do you have a source for this? "Plans for 2 more major DLCs" doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any more beyond that - especially when taken out of context. It could mean that's all they have planned at that time.

I'm assuming people are taking this from the quote where they said there'd be 3 major DLCs in 2015. And that's obviously been proven false.

Reactions:
Is there a source for this? Taken out of context "plans for 2 more major DLCs" doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any more beyond that. It could mean that's all they have planned at the moment.
Sorry it was before Horse Lords was announced so I'm really not sure where I saw it but I'm 99% certain the devs definitely did say it. Maybe @Groogy can shed some light on this. Also it's ambiguous whether "planned" also means "in the works", there very well might be more major DLC coming.

Sorry it was before Horse Lords was announced so I'm really not sure where I saw it but I'm 99% certain the devs definitely did say it. Maybe @Groogy can shed some light on this. Also it's ambiguous whether "planned" also means "in the works", there very well might be more major DLC coming.
Yeah... I assume people are just taking "3 major DLCs in 2015" quote out of context and assuming that Horse Lords was one of these DLCs so there must only be 2 major DLCs left. Like I said... that's not necessarily true. Their plans have obviously changed. I believe Groogy even explicitly said so in one of the dev diaries last Autumn.

Last edited:
Reactions:
No history in the historical simulation game? What a nonsense...

No, it means that the history files won't load on a save game, resetting the flags and de jure set up every time you restart the game.

This is pretty huge/awesome/etc. It finally means that de jure changes can be made to different start dates AND HAVE THEM STICK AFTER A RELOAD.

Reactions:
No, it means that the history files won't load on a save game, resetting the flags and de jure set up every time you restart the game.

This is pretty huge/awesome/etc. It finally means that de jure changes can be made to different start dates AND HAVE THEM STICK AFTER A RELOAD.
Is THAT what that means?

Does this mean the old custom duchies mod might make a comeback?

I'm about 95% sure that's what it means. Having the history load every time screwed up PDS's own, original set up in the CM start too. It still causes problems with flags too.
Jesus. That would allow for true dynamic de-jure setups that would persist.

Reactions:
What does "History is no longer executed if the player loads a save game" mean?

Aaaaaaand saw that was (probably) answered already after posting it. Still, would be nice to have some Dev clarification.

Reactions:
What does "History is no longer executed if the player loads a save game" mean?

Aaaaaaand saw that was (probably) answered already after posting it. Still, would be nice to have some Dev clarification.
Probably that it doesn't load the History folders, and just reads the save file.

History is loaded every time you start the game. I'd say your looking at that only loading up when you actually start a new game. Since loading it and dumping it everytime you load up a savegame is a bit of a waste.

As for the speculation about 3 DLCs, I believe it was that it was planned that there was to be 3 DLC's last year, this was before the issue of what happened with WoL and its release just before christmas. After which there was probably a lot of shuffling around including new team members, QA and even beta testers all confirmed as being added last year. The fact is there was 3 planned, only one was released, this is probably the second of those or perhaps the other 2 are still even being discussed. I doubt we will know. There was nothing said about 3 more DLCs and that was it. Only that there was 3 for that year planned, I believe it was mentioned in a WoL DD if someone wants to go searching.

Will the game continue to be developed? Most likely, there hasn't been anything to suggest otherwise. When will it end? When the game can no longer handle any changes. It isn't likely to come to an end before China is added at least as far as I can tell.

Will the game continue to be developed? Most likely, there hasn't been anything to suggest otherwise. When will it end? When the game can no longer handle any changes. It isn't likely to come to an end before China is added at least as far as I can tell.

No China please, or my laptop will fry. I have a video card with 4GB of memory, I have 12GB of RAM and one of the best processors a laptop can have. Still, adding China would fry my gaming laptop. Even running GTA V, Oblivion and CS GO at the same time doesn't make my PC as slow as CK2 after a few hundred years.

Reactions:
Not a fan of the infamy+coalition mechanic, looks like its going to unfairly/ahistorically punish expansion+war, I was hoping that the new council mechanics in conclave would cause them to drop this infamy idea, sadly they didnt. If things end up going south and the feature is awful, i hope Paradox do indeed adjust/remove it. If the coalition/infamy mechanic does suck and end up breaking gameplay and immersion, we can make enough noise until its addressed. At the end of the day, without user support, a game is nothing. Until then, I'll experiment and test when this patch drops and post my findings along with a pros and cons list. We should give this a chance, but we shouldn't stop providing constructive criticism to Paradox, we dont want an inferior rehash of EU4 in CK2. This our game as much as it's Paradox's game.

Reactions:
Not a fan of the infamy+coalition mechanic, looks like its going to unfairly/ahistorically punish expansion+war, I was hoping that the new council mechanics in conclave would cause them to drop this infamy idea, sadly they didnt. If things end up going south and the feature is awful, i hope Paradox do indeed adjust/remove it. If the coalition/infamy mechanic does suck and end up breaking gameplay and immersion, we can make enough noise until its addressed. At the end of the day, without user support, a game is nothing. Until then, I'll experiment and test when this patch drops and post my findings along with a pros and cons list. We should give this a chance, but we shouldn't stop providing constructive criticism to Paradox, we dont want an inferior rehash of EU4 in CK2. This our game as much as it's Paradox's game.

How is it ahistoric to punish expansion and war? You can count on no hands how many people in the CK2 time period successfully conquered Europe. It should be harder for players to do it. You know what I felt the first time I successfully painted every province in the game my color? Satisfaction. Not pride. Just satisfaction. I want to reconquer the Pride I felt when I first united Ireland. When I first formed the Empire of Britannia. When I first won Jerusalem as a goody prize for a Crusade. When I first defended Jerusalem from a Jihad....

I want to face a challenge again, and feel pride at overcoming it.

Reactions: