• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But that's not heresy, that's just plain blasphemy and worshipping of false gods!

Wouldn't that be apostasy, you have to be known as a Orthodox Christian to get in the Senate, abandoning the Church is apostasy, of course it also could be blasphemy and heresy as well. That makes him a triple heathen. And I have no idea how we will punish that.

Wouldn't that be apostasy, you have to be known as a Orthodox Christian to get in the Senate, abandoning the Church is apostasy, of course it also could be blasphemy and heresy as well. That makes him a triple heathen. And I have no idea how we will punish that.
Agreed, we need something better than a normal burning at the stake!

Also, isn't the definition of heresy the rejection, denial, or doubting of a core doctrine of the Christian faith while remaining within the Church, while apostasy is a full rejection of Christianity?

Agreed, we need something better than a normal burning at the stake!

Also, isn't the definition of heresy the rejection, denial, or doubting of a core doctrine of the Christian faith while remaining within the Church, while apostasy is a full rejection of Christianity?

From my understanding, these are the key differences, obviously CzokletMuss will need to clear up any mistakes that I made

Heresy - differing from the Orthodox opinion, but still in communion with the (Orthodox) Church
Apostasy - breaking communion with the Church, denouncing God, Jesus, selected Saints (Saint Markos obviously but there are other big names), and the Emperors
Blasphemy - speaking ill of the Church, God, Jesus, selected Saints, or the Emperors
Heathen - a human (having a soul, Xenoi are not heathens as are animals) that was never a part of the Church.
Xenoi - Soulless animal in human shape, sin to not purge
Witch - Person who swore to serve the Diabolus

For Example, Sophia is without a doubt a heretic, but in her responses to the questions about the Nicene Creed could make her a Blasphemer and maybe a Apostate.

Reactions:
From my understanding, these are the key differences, obviously CzokletMuss will need to clear up any mistakes that I made

Heresy - differing from the Orthodox opinion, but still in communion with the (Orthodox) Church
Apostasy - breaking communion with the Church, denouncing God, Jesus, selected Saints (Saint Markos obviously but there are other big names), and the Emperors
Blasphemy - speaking ill of the Church, God, Jesus, selected Saints, or the Emperors
Heathen - a human (having a soul, Xenoi are not heathens as are animals) that was never a part of the Church.

For Example, Sophia is without a doubt a heretic, but in her responses to the questions about the Nicene Creed could make her a Blasphemer and maybe a Apostate.

And to think, all of this happened because of this little sentence...
Religion has no place in my heart, all that I care about are facts, and information, and how to use them in ones favor.

Man I am really good at causing a stir. :p

More or less this. Xenoi are not considered to be human.

Reactions:
But no Mach, our characters would not likely get along.

More or less this. Xenoi are not considered to be human.

:) I guess it will be okay to operate under these definitions, and anything incorrect is merely a lay man not understanding the finer points of the concepts.

Question: If apostasy is punishable by death, and excommunication is expulsion from the Church, doesn't that mean excommunication would be a death sentence?

Man, remind me never to get on the Church's bad side... again.

Question: If apostasy is punishable by death, and excommunication is expulsion from the Church, doesn't that mean excommunication would be a death sentence?

That is, if they catch you of course!:D

Welcome to grimdark. Although I would bet an excommunicated man could get it lifted with an appropriate penance (gold or time in an holy order). Apostasy seems more of a deliberate action of an individual and not a punishment like excommunication.

Welcome to grimdark. Although I would bet an excommunicated man could get it lifted with an appropriate penance (gold or time in an holy order)
Wait, we have indulgences now? No wonder we've got a Reformation...

Shut up and take my money! *throws indulgence gold on the ground*

Wunderbar! Your donation to the Holy Church will be remembered, pious soul.

Reactions:
I still propose sending the suspected traitors and heretics to Cherson.

It will be like the Nigh Watch, except without a giant wall of ice to protect you.

/offtopic

Nope, been too busy playing dwarf fortress which is somehow harder than hoi3. Which was somehow harder than Vicky 2. Which was somehow harder than CK2. Which was somehow harder than EU4. Which was somehow harder than Civ.

I feel like a junkie moving onto progressively harder drugs. DF is essentially krokodil.

Send help.

Please.

/ontopic

It'd be interesting to see the Patriarch make a play for (temporal) power as well.

I feel like a junkie moving onto progressively harder drugs. DF is essentially krokodil.

Send help.

Please.

So Dwarf Fortress is moderately caustic and reduces the flesh around the injection area to primordial ooze by breaking down the polymer macro-molecules in your flesh?

Thanks for the tip.