• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just finished my first Ironman game as Muscovy->Russia. Note that this is still 1.13:
3NdG3mt.jpg

I'm the strongest power in the world, though the Ottos, Ming, Austria, and Great Britain are still very powerful. I'm the only Orthodox country in the world, but it is one of the biggest faiths in the world:
8KOnBnX.jpg

Britain got PUs over Spain and Portugal early on, so they dominated the colonization game. They owned the entire new world, apart from Brazil, East Canada, and the USA. But (with my help) many colonies managed to gain independence. Only Spanish Canada, California, Columbia and Australia are still under GB:
5yDMDPL.jpg

And I wasn't idle in the new world either. I managed to get my own colonial nation, though I'm sad it wasn't ruled by a Castro. I also dominate all Asian trade, funneling it to the Baltic Sea through Indus->Samarkand->Astrakhan->Kazan->Novgorod:
12runcu.jpg

Ending screen:
1H0z5PV.jpg

I gained a ton of achievements in this run: A Decent Reserve, Master of India, Rising Sun, Silk Road, This Revolution Was Crushed, Mother Russia, At Every Continent, Market Control, In the Name of the Father, A Pile of Gold, Four for Trade, and others.

Reactions:
0d04f4c5ca0dafd36a94a39a6915da0d.png
My empire at the end of my Uesugi survival campaign. It ended is 1638 with the death of the childless final Uesugi Shogunate and the ascension of an Indian dynasty member to the Chrysanthemum throne.

72c465f0d791315e309befc05d1a6765.png
A map showing the series of conquests of the Uesugi shogunate

The only orthodox country, you sure about that? Because if I look close enough it looks a lot like an Orthodox Albania sitting there in the Balkans. ;)

Oh, right, I forgot about that one. They became independent in... 1819, I think. Ottomans attacked the Papal State, and all of Europe descended on them, releasing Greece and Albania. I took the opportunity to attack them for the first time, taking their silk, Jerusalem, and trade centers. Hungary also became independent and orthodox recently, but they immediately came under a PU of Austria. So they weren't an independent orthodox country anymore. But I didn't mind being the only Orthodox country. Earlier there was Serbia, but they kept getting attacked by everyone, calling me in as Defender of the Faith. It's so much easier to defend Orthodox states when you're the only one.

I decided to play the Ottomans again to get a bunch of achievements. I got the achievements to unify Islam; have the most trade power in the English Channel, Genoa, and Venice; have 1001 provinces; and have 1 million manpower.
eu4_526.jpg

eu4_527.jpg

In 1820, I released a bunch of vassals to get the 21 vassals achievement and the achievement for having the highest income without having any province with more than 10 development. Since the Maldives was overseas and had more than 10 development, I had to give up all my European provinces so I could move my capital to Asia and thus release a client state there. I had to delete 2 idea groups since moving my capital cost 700 ADM. Here's what it looked like after I released my vassals:

eu4_538.jpg

Other notable things: I am the only Islamic country and all my provinces are cored and converted. I conquered Vienna, annexed Great Britain, and dismantled the HRE (I allied Brandenburg and all the electors and the emperor were OPM's, so it was easy). I had over a million troops at the end, my monthly income was over a thousand ducats, and I completed all techs and idea groups. I even westernized after taking Vienna.

Here's some campaigns I've made significant progress on since Cossacks.

Casual Ottoman campaign

64480BEA7CCA960A45C2A689F48B681AD837E32A

27D6265CFBE7CA8E7247F512660466CB3FB713CA

Not as impressive as other people horde campaigns, but was a fun campaign nonetheless.

E8CA12FC6F99EB25D8A2C00D707E1C8ED481117F

And this campaign. I quit it because it got kind of boring after I pu'd Austria (and I have a pu over Savoy).

3041D27F2B63655A44745C3E34BB0635ED8EDFB6

Reactions:
I present you, kind forumers, my latest creation, the Empire of Eternally Rising Sun!
66A7092B5807878E97C93315655A1CB2D847D061

Or, perhaps, Japanese East Indies... Ugh, i guess that is the moment when i turn the exclave naming off :D Japan unified - check. East Asia conquered - check. Oceania completely colonised - check. All good. But wait, what is the deal with strange Egypt...
7783EE5519675ABDD34E01B35F5022E6DF008E15

The initial idea was doing a reverse Suez channel, so the proud people of Asia could reach the lands of western barbarians without having to swim around the whole Africa... But then came another idea

A6F5B4195F8225D7BCF4C23D4EE289B69CF331E4

Crusades? I think i did it right: all the holy cities of Jerusalem, Mecca, Constantinople and Rome are firmly held by the Japanese Empire and converted to Shinto. You know, you should not have sent those missionaries to our home islands back then.

And the last thing i wanted to show off - the culture map! I kept getting high-DIP rulers and having surplus DIP points, and that is where it took me.

91F4D6CB5123C24CF5470B21467DDC4DD5718B2C

Other fun facts:

1) The Iberian Wedding never happened - Iberia was distributed between Portugal and Aragon - and it was like this for the last 200 years
2) That France is not actually France... The "real" France was destroyed in the first 50 years of the game and was split betwen... Foix and Luxemburg. During the course of the game, Foix prevailed and founded the current France
3) That giant Bengal was reduced to a 4-province minor by Vijay and Orissa at some point
4) The great Japanese Empire was the first country in the world to ban slavery
5) Yes, those are Russian provinces on Baluchistani shoreline
6) Denmark kept its union with Sweden and somehow even managed to integrate it

Last edited:
Reactions:
My first two ironman games :

Novgorod/Russia :
2016-01-11_00001.jpg

eu4_map_RUS_1820_12_01_2.png

A few comments if I may :
-I have been allied to Austria during most of the game, but in the end the alliance broke and I had two big wars with them in the last 30 years.
- The revolution happened in the Ottoman Empire, and momentarily, through my alliance with France, I was again allied to Austria against the revolution. This end game was the most exciting I ever had.
- I declared war to Portugal to remove the atrocity which was Portuguese Siberia. Thankfully, I was able to go siege Lisbon through military access, because I didn't think at the time I had to do that.

Kilwa :
2016-01-11_00002.jpg
eu4_map_ZAN_1820_11_01_1.png

Comments :
- My goal was to survive the portuguese onsaught. They were the very good friends of Spain, but I managed to snatch them a province around 1650, which allowed my westernization. I subsequently lost the province, but it thankfully revolted back to me at the end. I finished with all the techs and all the ideas.
- I ended with around 39% inflation. I finally controlled it and was also finally making money.
- I have been allied to the Hedjaz during almost all the game, with few interruptions. At the very end, around 1810, I invaded Egypt and took to the Hedjaz (which was allied with Egypt) two provinces on the Horn of Africa. That cost me their love.
- The green thing in France is Luxemburg!
- This is the fourth game I play in 1.14 in which the Ottomans are initially very strong, but then totally collapse against Austria. This is the worst case of all, tought, since they barely exist at the end.

Last edited:
I finally finished my converted Liao game which went from this
2ez3OLB.jpg

to this
vDd4M90.jpg

VakP2bW.jpg

Finland, Afghanistan, Moldavia and Transcaucasia (Armenian/Alan/Georgian client state) are marches (all ruled by dynasty members), Korea, Liang and Miao are tributary vassals, the rest of the Chinese countries (except Shu) are protectorates and Egypt has been my ally for most of the game - after I drove them out of Afghanistan. They were crucial to my early expansion into Turkish Persia. I also have two protectorates in India: Multan and Ladakh.
vKP1IcA.jpg

The CK2 converter still converts all Buddhists to "Buddhist" - which is now Theravada in EU4. I changed it to Vajrayana because it seemed more fitting, to be honest. I started as Tengri-Buddhist and embraced Buddhism whole-heartedly post-westernisation. Finland was originally an Animist principality before I vassalised/forcibly converted them to Tengriism - they got a chance by event to become Buddhist and took it.
The Palas conquered most of India (banishing the Kings of Tamilakam to the Maledives where they stayed for the rest of the game) and drove the Hindus out. The only Hindu nation left is Majapahit while Multan is also Buddhist and Ladakh's Shia - the only Muslim country in India. The Reformation was a downright failure, no idea why. Meanwhile the Japanese embraced Catholicism. The islands were split between the Shogunate, two independent Daimyos (Imagawa in the north, Otomo in the south) and Wu (in the south) for decaded until I invaded and restored order in favour of the Shogun. Originally, I colonised the Kurils, but I later sold them to Japan because I didn't have any need for them after the Japanese reunification - beforehand, it was one of the bridgeheads for my restorative invasion. Kongo converted to Catholicism and then was eaten by Loango for some reason.
dWEgut7.jpg

I actually did a bit of resettling in this game, especially in Scandinavia and the Southern Caucasus. Finland's split between Finns Samoyeds and Sami now and I reshuffled Armenians, Georgians and Alans for a while before settling on a result that satisfied me. I also expanded the Uighur area and replaced some of the Turks with more Karluks. The Kurils were originally Khitan post-colonisation, but I settled Ainu there before selling them.
Tibet's been busy spreading their culture to their Chinese holdings.
jXqqjYZ.jpg

America's a mess. 'nuff said.

Here's a labeled world map:
CW9EClD.png

Additional maps are here.

My capital's still in Theodosia (Caffa) because I didn't know a better place to put it - also, I can't relocate it to the east because it's "overseas". -_- Well, at least I got to establish a proper buffer zone to keep it well protected.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just started an Ideas Guy, beginning in Ladakh (Northwestern India) and seem to have had a nice start. Eastern Hindu Ambrosian Republic, with -10% Tech and +10 Discipline as traditions and +1/y RT as first idea.

4AA2E29CE8EE9529C455D73241ABE092C5E83E30

Decided to go east through the mountains as Delhi was a bit to strong early on, even if i got my allies to support, and retaliated against Bengal when they thought i was an easy target, and kept at it ... Current Allies (for not much longer) is Jaunpur, Orissa (also allied with each other), Mewar and Ayatthuya (allied with a Ming that looks like its about to collapse). Only reason why Timurids haven't collapsed as of yet is because whenever they get seperatists, they also get Pretender Rebels and/or Tribe revolts which kills the seperatists :p

Reactions:
Just finished a game where I went full retard as Timurids and became Uber-Mughals. Not as impressive as many other people, but it was still quite fun. Didn't require much thought, razing is extremely powerful so I easily kept up until I formed the Mughals. Then it was just a matter of muncing on the Indian nations and occasionally castrating the Ottomans when they got a bit too daring in Europe. My only regret is that I forgot to turn Random New World on, to see what the Europoors would do without player interferance. Oh well.

KFrWwWH.jpg

Europe is a mess, by the way. France rekt by Great Britain and Lorraine, of all people. Aragon lost PU with Naples, then got a PU with both Castille and Naples again. Managed to integrate the latter before losing the former. They then proceeded to invade North Africa and destroy their administrative tech with the coring costs. The Ottomans kept messing with Austria and Hungary. Hesse became Emperor after the second Austrian HREmperor died, and inherited the Netherlands. Around the 1580s the Emperorship changed to Pommerania, and a few years before the screenshot, to Bohemia.

On an unrelated note, anyone have any tips for a Serbia playthrough? I'm thinking of doing a game in the Balkans and their flag seems quite nice.

My Sun God achievement run (those native american runs are really fun :), nice early game mechanics, good job Paradox)

Ry7eZva.jpg

In the end realsed some vassals/protectorates to get Rags and Riches achievement ...

SVQqlwk.jpg

... to add to 5 other achievements (nice run) ...

Ipr7zYC.jpg

... for all of you who want to see Europe upclose

- at start Spain said that they don't want to play colonization game again (WHEN I WAS PLAYING NATIVE TIRBE!!) and went to beat France up
- France beeing beaten from all sides decided to evacuate most of their ppl to North and Central America, after regrouping there they came back to take their land in the east from Austria (Spain was like "can't touch this")
- Russia actually formed :eek: got PU from Norway that had entire Scandinavia (don't know how) and some few colonies in North America. After they intagrate them Russia AI went nuts and got their hand in literally EVERY major confilict changing alliances left and right like they were the BOSS. One time they fought France for independance of Russians CN, won (occupied entire French mainland) and when i few months later fought for independance of Franch CN they hurry up and joined the fight on French side :eek:.
- CN independace was a pain in the ... each time they tried to get free it looked like entire Europe ganged up to crushed them. In the end i manage to free Russian, Portugese and British CNs but couldn't do it for the French - one time i was close to winning Spain attacked me (Spain that was ALWAYS against French) done suprise landing in like 6 diffrent places (i swear it looked like player attack) and i had to change priorities
- Netherlands formed when there was nothing to colonize so they went inland
- Austria ate Ottomans only to be ravaged by rebels and be eaten by Russia

xoDKMJy.jpg

END GAME STATISTICS

82r508M.jpg

Reactions:
D3027668F38A92DC6056C159581E35B4FC3EBC83

Nassau is impressive! from an OPM of 5 dev to that... I had very little to do with HRE so I had very little to do with what happened to Nassau (although I'm sure there are butterfly effect in play)
Um, this is the empires thread, not the strange screenshot thread.

Byzantium. Did not focus on Italy until after I had taken India. Already had the Basileus achievement, so I did not press a war in the Crimea over a few provinces that had relatively little value for me. With control of all eastern trade, I had more money than I could spend. Burning Empire is the green blob in the random new world. It wound up eating almost every colonial nation, with France taking care of the overlords. Austria also wound up disbanding the HRE after being deposed by the Protestant League and converting to Calvinism.
Byzantium_SS.jpg
eu4_map_BYZ_1820_11_01_1.png

Kilwa, British West Africa, Jolof and the Madagascar tricolor made my day.

Empire of the Romans from the 1356 start. Current vassals are Poland, Montferrat and Nizhny Novgorod with Hungary as a PU. Goals are to tidy up the borders and start colonizing.
UXGwud2.jpg

This is my second try at creating an aesthetically pleasing British Empire, and I'm very happy with the results. Though I did not colonize all of South America or conquer Iberia, Norway, and Japan, I did manage to conquer all of India, colonize most of Sub-Saharan Africa, and keep my North American empire intact. Here are some screenshots of the world:

eu4_660.jpg

eu4_661.jpg

eu4_662.jpg

eu4_663.jpg

eu4_664.jpg

eu4_665.jpg

I was able to keep all my CN's loyal until around 1790-1800, I think, and then the Agitate for Liberty ticked up for all of them and I couldn't get enough prestige from wars to placate rulers. However, none of them ever rebelled, and I placed 200k troops in the colonies to fight any rebellion.
eu4_666.jpg

Trade was really good this game: I got 100% Mercantilism (thanks to Papal Influence, events, and the Staple Port decision, which I only took once because I didn't know you have to stay as England to take that decision), and thanks to my dominance of trade, I got the trading bonus in every single good (except gold)!
eu4_668.jpg

eu4_686.jpg

eu4_678.jpg

eu4_679.jpg

In addition to the Protected Market achievement, I got the Industrial Evolution and Voting Streak achievements.
eu4_681.jpg

And here's the final world map. Note that I own all the islands in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and and in the Pacific Ocean south of Japan besides Hainan. The one annoying thing about my empire's final borders is that the NW Territory wasteland wasn't filled in, even though California owned 4 of the 6 non-wasteland provinces adjacent. But overall, it was a very fun game, and I achieved more than what I thought was possible.
eu4_map_GBR_1820_12_31_3.jpg

Reactions: