• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So Densley turned out to be a good heir. And his heir has the potential of inheriting half of Europe. Exciting times.
What could happen, and correct me if I'm wrong, is Densley's heir could inherit all three empires, and set the HRE as his main. Then, in EU4, it would split the nations into separate entities and we would have a Britain that is part of the HRE.
Yes, this is what would happen most likely. But what is the HRE/Byzantium's succession laws? Perhaps you could split the two realms before an EU4 conversion though?

So Densley turned out to be a good heir.

You sound surprised. :p

I'd advise against involving yourself in the HRE. Honestly, I think having such a large – and frankly just-outside-of-plausible – empire would take a lot of fun out of the game – especially considering your goal is more oriented towards the US. There's no need to tie yourself so much to Europe.

Chapter 33 -1332 to 1361: Northern Conquests

As the war begins, 25 thousand Britannic men are raised. Scotland is set as the grouping position, and a Fleet of the Emperor begins massing in Buchan. In May, the troops and fleet are ready and 12 thousand board under the command of Emperor Loup, the Duke of York, and Scipion. The other half moves to Caithness, where it will be ferried to the island of Orkney. The next month, the army of Loup lands in Hjaltland and sets siege to its fort, Konungsborg. A month later, the southern army, under Halkell (Loup's son-in-law), Dunaden, and DKM III, arrives in Orkney.

tVIRbRD.jpg

As winter nears, half of each great army is sent back to the mainland to prevent mass attrition. Each county's castle falls as winter hits. As Hjaltland has no other holdings on the island, the rest of the army of Loup withdraws to Scotland.

aBU1PV3.jpg
uGWDJJc.jpg

As of yet there has been no military efforts against Britannia by the King of Norge, and the reason is apparent: he is midway through a civil war.

peFy5ln.jpg

The last holdings of Orkney fall in Spring of 1333, and the next offensive is planned. Loup could well wait out the war, as he holds both objectives, but, feeling confident, he orders a direct landing on mainland Norge. His 12 thousand troops are loaded back onto the fleet and set sail in April of 1333. They land in July, and quickly defeat the small Norwegian army.

3OEtJdr.jpg

However, winter begins severely biting at the troops, and half are force to return home to prevent catastrophic losses. Loup, a rather poor military leader, is overwhelmed by the bitterly cold winds and snow. His military staff advise him to give up the offensive and return home before hundreds more of his troops succumb to death. Loup listens, and the last of the troops withdraw in January. For now, the Empire will play the waiting game.

In May of 1334, The Number 9 comes of age. She shares much of her siblings' (most of them) diplomacy skill, although she tends to become quite envious of others. She is married to a very young and very talented administrator from Germany named Hans von Oldenburg.

twHKtKO.jpg
Gc7yuMD.jpg

As the war slows down, Loup sets about with his other errands. Densley Blair, the heir without a wife, is married to young Princess Ingegerd of Danmark, who comes from a family of strong men and women. As the young couple is married, Emperor Loup sends word to the King Leif III of Danmark to come to his aid against Norge. Leif, currently at war with Sweden, promises aid if Britannia joins his war. Loup accepts.

nKqLZHt.jpg

7KmF0Z0.jpg

The troops are loaded back onto the fleet and sent this time to Skåne. They arrive in November and they engage a small Swedish army in Möre. As the enemies flee before the Brits, the army besieges the castle of Möre.

ulG358h.jpg

The war with Sweden ends in August of 1335 as the Swedish King surrenders.

g3IKqGb.jpg

The armies of both Britannia and Danmark are redirected to Norge, where they take several holdings. As Norge is exhausted by years of civil war, the King finally surrenders in April of 1336. Orkney and Hjaltland are ceded to Britannia.

kDGX19H.jpg

At the same time, young Attalus reaches majority. He shows little true skill, being more a jack of all trades. He is married to Princess Isabelle of Aquitaine.

tNxQjMw.jpg

In November of 1338, Dunaden dies of Pneumonia. He sired 7 children (6 of which still live) and had 4 different wives (not at the same time!). His eldest son Ealdwulf, Duke of The Isles, inherits his father's Duchy of Ulster.

OT40ru3.jpg

BPM reaches maturity in 1339. He focuses his life mainly on the study of books and texts and lacks any knowledge of war. He is married to a princess of Brittany, forging an alliance between the once close nations.

IdbZMWA.jpg

ZZZ comes of age by the end of 1339. She, the youngest of Loup's children and the only child Loup had with Peigi, is married to a German soldier named Wigerich von Zähringen.

PHcdPbm.jpg
OXTBdIz.jpg

Pope Hadrianus IV calls for a Crusade for Andalusia in 1341. Emperor Loup accepts the call to arms, but does nothing more to help in the war, for he has lost his zeal in the past few years.

R7bT1LW.jpg

The Crusade ends in 1344 in victory for Christianity. The vast Andalusian lands are granted to the Teutonic Order. This Holy Order of Christian men is placed as the new ruler over a million Muslims, tasked with the responsibility to convert the lands back to Catholicism.

6G44qrU.jpg

Many quiet years follow for Britannia. In 1346, Scipion dies a maimed cripple, courtesy of the war with Norge. He leaves behind no children, and his Duchy of Galloway is returned to Loup.

Xx6T5Y2.jpg

Another decade passes in peace. It seems Loup wants nothing more than to live the rest of his life without conflict. That is until June of 1353 when Empress Peigi, working as Spymaster in Norfolk, is murdered on the orders of Wulfrun, the daughter of Blitz the Dragon.

ScvM7Zz.jpg

Fueled by rage, Loup orders the arrest of Wulfrun. Within a week, she is locked away in the dungeons. Eventually, Loup orders her thrown in the dark, dank Oubliette.

9MUtfvi.jpg

Another 8 years pass without war. On August 10th, 1361, Emperor Loup 'the Gentle' dies at the age of 73. He was the longest reigning Emperor of Britannia at 49 years. The Empire is passed on to his son Densley Blair II.

eEZaeOk.jpg

NOTE:
-I expected another outbreak of the Black Plague around 1345-50, and thus I intended to end this chapter as soon as that started. As nothing happened, I then decided to continue until Loup passed away, but that happened years later than I would have thought!
-DKM III passed away while I played, forgot to screenshot it though. His grandson, DKM IV, took over Gwynedd! But, this new DKM quickly became a giant... jerk, and his wife is much older than he is, so it is unlikely he will sire any children.
-You will notice that Galicia has been taken by Aquitaine. A short holy war saw to that! It appears that the Reconquista is underway!
-Due to Loup's many children, and their many children, and even their many children, the Dynasty of de Gael has grown to be one of the most numerous dynasties in the world! In this chapter alone it went from around 90 living members to 180!
-Tomorrow will be another intermission. 3 quarters of the way through CK2!

Last edited:
Long may Densley Blair II reign!

And it pleases me to see such a large family tree. In due time, the de Gaels will come to envelope the entire nobility of Britannia.

So Loup died after so many years on the throne. All Loup's in your AAR have been important, the first one being the first De Gael king, and now this Loup becoming the emperor with the longest reign.

Nice to see such a huge family!

The war for the Norwegian Islands went rather well. Might even still have time to conquer Brittany and Iceland.

Emperor Densley Blair shouldn't have too many problems with the family, seeing how large the dynasty has grown. You may well be the largest by the end of the game at this rate. As for the marriage, from a narrative point of view, it makes sense... but the part of me that loves to paint the map weeps at the lost chance too gain an empire without a war.

The Teutonic Order holds quite a bit of Spain. I wonder if they'll manage to survive.

Subbed,hail to Densley Blair II

Gutted I was born the last son of an unwanted wife! Didn't turn out too badly except maybe for being An arbitrary coward! Oh Well..... Maybe I will re-incarnate further down the timeline -fingers crossed-

Chapter 34 - 1361 to 1371: The Reign of Densley

Deep in the dungeons of Thetford Castle, there lies a small trapdoor under which exists a small room 3 meters by 3 meters. Not much is contained in the room except an old, splintered table, a pile of hay, and what looks like a small collection of rags. The wretched being under the rags stirs suddenly as the trapdoor opens and a ladder is lowered. Wulfrun, daughter of the long dead Blitz the Dragon, raises her thins limbs to a standing position, or as close to a posture resembling it as she can manage. She has been imprisoned in this room for 8 years after she ordered the murder of Empress Peigi, having a scarcity of food for nearly a decade.

As she is taken by the guards out of the dungeons, she learns of Emperor Loup's passing. Emperor Densley Blair, who had no love at all for the 'wench' who seduced his father, has ordered her released. His true mother, Mafalda of Aquitaine, died 4 years previously at the age of 57 in Poitou. At long last, he is Emperor of all of Britannia. At long last, his father has passed on, leaving him what he knows he so rightly deserves!

zfBMyKO.jpg

Although Emperor Loup had inherited Britannia at a fairly young age, Densley ascends to the throne aged 43 with 2 children; one is a son named Loup, the other a daughter named Cuthburg. Young Loup is much like his father in Humbleness and kindness, and, despite his tendency to hide in the face of danger, he is not a bad commander. He is already married to a young woman named Effros, who is directly descended from DKM, son of Breselueu. Upon Densley's acquisition of power, his son is granted the Duchy of Orkney.

B93Aihk.jpg

Cuthburg comes of age in August of 1362. She, like her mother, shows unnatural physical strength. Other than that, her gregarious nature makes her quite learned in the ways of diplomacy. She is married matrilineally to a Prince of Hungary, thus securing an alliance.

tOZwi57.jpg

Determined to prove himself worthy of the legacy of Emperor Loup II, Densley declares war on Norge for the last of the northern islands: Færeyar.

CJK0CjI.jpg

The 5 thousand troops of Norfolk's standing army (built during the peaceful years of Loup II's reign) are sent to York where they are joined by 6 thousand levies from elsewhere in the Kingdom. They are loaded onto a Fleet and to the north.

vYNGFNn.jpg

They arrive on the island in March of 1363 and defeat the minuscule garrison located there. Despite a ratio of 35 Brits to every Norwegian troop, Densley calls the day a stunning victory for Britannia.

TldKucl.jpg

During the siege of the Fort Skansin, Færeyar, Densley Blair returns to Norfolk for a few months; the siege will take some time. In June, his wife Ingegerd becomes pregnant.

Y2aEt15.jpg

The siege of Skansin ends in October of 1363. Winter is on its way, and Densley orders half of the troops to return home to avoid losses from the cold.

T4EGxfu.jpg

The army left to take the remaining town of Torshavn faces several attempts by Norge to retake the island, all of which are repelled. In January of the next year, Ingegerd gives birth to a son they named Stingrex.

RXsPVSm.jpg

Then, in February, as the men are huddled in their tents from the cold, 10 thousand Norwegian troops land on the beaches and annihilate the Britannic army of 5 thousand. Luckily, Densley was in Norfolk for the winter and thus evaded capture or death.

O6Ji0lc.jpg

This unexpected defeat forces the mobilization of another 11 thousand troops. Soon, 16 thousand troops stand ready to meet the enemy (Densley is taking no more chances in his first war). They are loaded onto the fleet and sent to the north in June of 1364.

They land and engage the enemy in July, just before the small garrison of Britannic troops left in Skansin could succumb to the enemy siege. It is a victory for Britannia, with nearly all 7 thousand of the enemy troops either dead or captured.

II8Pq3E.jpg

The final siege ends in November. Knowing he is defeated, the King of Norge surrenders the island. Now the only Norwegian held territory north of Britannia is Iceland.

jFP54FX.jpg

In January of 1365, Densley's sister The Number 9 commits suicide. She leaves behind 3 de Gael sons and a husband who is Steward of Britannia.

UXKlF32.jpg

In 1371, claims are made on the Norwegian island of Iceland. Before Emperor Densley, aged 53, has the opportunity to press them in war, he dies a natural death. His rule was short, accomplishing little more than the annexation of another Norwegian island and leaving behind only 3 children. His eldest, Loup III, now ascends to the throne.

y4CC9Dc.jpg

Long live Emperor Loup III!

NOTE:
-I will call the 'Duchy of Island' Iceland to avoid confusion.
-I know it calls him Loup II not III, but I consider him the third. Apparently the game doesn't take into account King Loup, the first de Gael King of England.
-I had hoped I would have been able to take Iceland before Densley died, but no matter. It does suck that I had such a short time to play as him.
-Oh my gosh! I completely forgot about the planned intermission for today! I will have to do it tomorrow instead.

Aw, poor Emperor Densley. He had so little time. Now we have Emperor Loup III. Both of his namesakes found great success, hopefully this one will do the same. That said, hopefully we don't get too many Loup rulers. :p

Alas, poor Densley, he died before his greatness could be realized :(

Thus passed Densely the first of his name the rightful king of the Andals... Sorry wrong fantasy series. :D Joking aside Loup IV looks like he will do very well as king. Holding out for at least one king named Saxon. :)

Almost all the islands, nice! And I'm always entertained by the Tuetonic Knights being in strange places. They should get renamed according to region or something.

Haha! Yeah... It is unfortunate that Densley Blair became Emperor so late in life.

Do not fret, Densley! Another shall rise to bring honour back to your name.

Let us hope! The first Densley Blair did quite well for himself. He was never king, but he and his children accomplished much.

Aw, poor Emperor Densley. He had so little time. Now we have Emperor Loup III. Both of his namesakes found great success, hopefully this one will do the same. That said, hopefully we don't get too many Loup rulers. :p

Then again, it appears the game will automatically assign good traits and ward off bad ones if a character is named Loup!

Alas, poor Densley, he died before his greatness could be realized :(

He had excellent traits and, if he were to have inherited at a younger age, I am sure he would have done so much more.

Third Loup's the charm!

But can this Loup do even better than the last 2?

Thus passed Densely the first of his name the rightful king of the Andals... Sorry wrong fantasy series. :D Joking aside Loup IV looks like he will do very well as king. Holding out for at least one king named Saxon. :)

Your name is still in rotation, so any day now a child could be Saxon!

Third Loup Lucky. I wonder what I have been up to during the short reign?

I will have to check, but if I were to guess, I would say having more children, same as your 10 siblings.

Almost all the islands, nice! And I'm always entertained by the Tuetonic Knights being in strange places. They should get renamed according to region or something.

Much of their lands' culture is Andalusian, so... Andalusian Knights? :)

Reactions: