• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lords of the realm,
I believe that if we truly want to establish a great college here in England, we must build the foundation in one city: London. It is the biggest and greatest city in Britannia, and it will probably have the greatest impact on our culture since London is filled to the brim with many different cultures, languages, and identities. As all of you may know, I am a Welshman, and I am certainly proud to say that. But, I am also proud to say that I am an Englishman as well. But, I must digress. In conclusion, the great college that Friar Bedford speaks of establishing should be built in London and should serve as a beacon of English culture and a symbol of our devout faith to God and his son Jesus Christ.

Reactions:
Gentleman of the Assembly may I be quick to point out London lies within the heart of England and therefore will have little effect of the surrounding area while Northumberland lies closer to are newly conquered lands in Scotland and Ireland so will have more power there as well as being as coastal province with ports such as Hull, Newcastle and Sunderland allowing the college to exert influence across the North Sea to and islands we may annex.

((Let the debate begin :D))

My Queen and gentlemen of the assembly. I have written to my order of the Dominicans, an old and Pius order indeed. From our foundation we have done more than cloister ourselves like some monks, we have been active and are renound as educators and teachers.

If the act passes then know that the black friars are ready to act as teachers in the grand college.

As to the location, I feel it is not my place to make such a decision, I am a humble friar and not a high lord. I have faith a consensus can be reached from our esteemed assembly.

I do not see why this college should go anywhere but London. If people are to be educated there, especially in our English ways, then it should be in the capital. Moving closer to the fringes of the kingdom to satisfy some minorities is foolish. Let them come to London to learn, not take the college to them. I'm sure they can handle a few extra days of travel in the pursuit of knowledge, and in the process be exposed to the greatest English city in the Isles.

- William Benjamin Briggs, Earl of Marches

Reactions:
Good sir, do you have any male relatives in their early teens requiring betrothal. I ask this as I have a grand niece who needs a husband and I see your family as an upstanding one and as such I would like to bind myself to it by blood.

-Bishop Chaffinch

I propose that the Grand Collage be in Calais.Its location is close enough to London Paris and the Low Countries to spur academics to migrate to England.Its central location in Europe will bring many academics to England proper.There is much need for educated people in England.((I think the collage should put 2 advisors in the advisor pool to show more educated people in England))
If you like,I will bring Mary to Calais if you like.Christian should be back a week after,he was fighting in some German war with his mercenary company

Good sir, do you have any male relatives in their early teens requiring betrothal. I ask this as I have a grand niece who needs a husband and I see your family as an upstanding one and as such I would like to bind myself to it by blood.

-Bishop Chaffinch

No, unfortunately I don't.

((@Duke Dan "the Man" The College may only be built in England, as in the region. It may not be built outside of it. Calais is in Flanders. I like your suggestion that it increases our advisory pool so instead of tech bonus which is quite OP; the bonus could be +1 advisor pool and -1Unrest; the cost could stay the same as I suggested earlier.))

((@Duke Dan "the Man" The College may only be built in England, as in the region. It may not be built outside of it. Calais is in Flanders. I like your suggestion that it increases our advisory pool so instead of tech bonus which is quite OP; the bonus could be +1 advisor pool and -1Unrest; the cost could stay the same as I suggested earlier.))
((Makes sense,English collages should be in England.I think there should be a small tech increase.))

Reactions:
((I think he means that there should be a small decrease in the cost of technology.))
((Ah. Sorry I misunderstood him then. Well, -tech cost is very powerful so I like to keep it balanced. I think a +1 advisor and -1unrest is already very strong.))

Although I will not deny that there is some merit in the plan of building the college in the north for the sake of integrating newly taken lands, I would point out that this is short-sighted. We must consider England's future expansion on the continent, so placement in London or anywhere in the south would allow for people of all of our future empire to be educated instead of those on one, eventually insignificant, border.

-Oliver Talbot, Count of Caux and General of the Royal Army.

To all members of the assembly,

I admire the proposal for a language institute. The glory of a nation is properly reflected in these. I would like to make an addendum to the proposed bill though. I feel that if one wants people to educate themselves in the language and culture of a different people, it should be accessible to them closer to home. I agree that prestige dictates that the grand college be founded and based in London, but while we still have the spirit and wisdom to see the importance of education, we should also invest in additional smaller wings of the new college. Local smaller universities in new territories, where the local nobility can educate itself. Aleck Morgan already proposed Calais and I think it would be a good place for a smaller university. Another suitable location would be Dublin. It will take a bit more of a strain on the crown's treasury, but it is an investment that in the long term will lead to more stability in the realm.

Should this be agreed upon, I'm willing to invest a significant amount of personal wealth in these plans and act as an overseer of the project and future matters of education and science.

Humbly,

Renato Noguiera

((While theorizing locations in our new territories for royal universities, I figured Dublin would make sense. While Googling if it actually was a major city at the time, I found that Elizabeth I actually founded Trinity College in Dublin. We'd just be 100 years quicker ;) ))

((Having read through the chapters, I will give it a try and participate. Though it'll likely take some time to settle in, so I am choosing a background befitting it. ;)))

Name: Ximeno Arantxez
Birthdate: 11.05.1434
Religion: Catholic
Class: Courtier (Basque merchant)
Biography: Originally from Labourd, Ximeno moved to Bordeaux as a child when his father saw a great business opportunity. He managed to start a profitable trade with the isles, but also made himself a lot of enemies in the port. During the war with France, Ximeno's father received an intriguing offer to supply the Portuguese army - and was promptly caught with them in the Pyrenees, never returning to Bordeaux. As a young man, Ximeno entered into his father's footsteps, but laid low for a while - some say simply out of natural slothfulness - until he recently made good progress with very profitable smuggling of goods through France. His concurrence was so surprised he tried something new that it gained him a great advantage for a while. Maybe it was time to further expand? A royally supported Trade Company would be a good start. Maybe he'd found one?.... It has time until tomorrow, though.

Reactions:
((Can I propose an expansion plan?))
((Yes, anybody can propose an expansion plan. However, our current expansion plan was passed only in the last meeting of the assembly.
On a different note: Do you know that Crawely has become cardinal?))

((While theorizing locations in our new territories for royal universities, I figured Dublin would make sense. While Googling if it actually was a major city at the time, I found that Elizabeth I actually founded Trinity College in Dublin. We'd just be 100 years quicker ;) ))
((The college must be built in England, as in the region. Dublin is in Ireland.))

((Having read through the chapters, I will give it a try and participate. Though it'll likely take some time to settle in, so I am choosing a background befitting it. ;)))
((Welcome on board :) ))

Given that I heard that at least one player is looking to denounce another player as a heretic, I have developed some basic rules for our Ecclesiastical Court composed of all the clergymen of the country. Should there be any unexpected problems with these rules then they'll be changed. These rules have also been added to the front page.

Religious Crimes - The Ecclesiastical Court

In The Sun Never Sets heretics may face persecution and be tried in front of the Ecclesiastical court. The Ecclesiastical Court is composed of all clergymen of the country with the Archbishop serving as its head. It is the ultimate religious authority in the country and any heretics whose religion is not tolerated in the country will be brought in front of the Ecclesiastical Court. Anybody may suggest that a person shall be investigated for being a heretic. The Archbishop then decides whether the investigation shall be carried out and the denouncer may present any evidence they have.
Evidence includes, but is not limited to, letters the denouncer has access to, conversations he was a part of and testimonials of others.

If the Archbishop finds the person guilty then the members of the Ecclesiastical Court judge the accused. Should the Archbishop be a NPC then an RNG system will determine whether the accused is guilty or not.
The jury may either show mercy, imprison the accused or have him executed. The monarch may overrule the judgment of the Ecclesiastical Court. If the vote was unanimous then overruling the judgment will decrease legitimacy by 5 and increase revolt risk by 1 for one year.

If the accused is found non-guilty then the charges are dropped and the denouncer's reputation suffer. The denouncer may then not denounce a different character for the next 10 years. The accused may also not be denounced again in the following turn.

Currently tolerated heretical religions:
Orthodox, especially Byzantine Refugees

Edit: Added another paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: