• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The fresh air had helped as it always did, and Montségur made his way back into the hall with some things in mind. First, he looked for Ioannes de Alvaro. A short exchange of greetings later, he told him what he wanted.
'Count Ioannes, you surely know of my plan to better represent your people on Sassari. As it concerns your county, I wish to ask for your opinion on the matter. Surely it is beneficial to accept these cultures, but how to achieve that... there may be several ways. What do you think?
On an unrelated note, I am looking for a suitable candidate for the Cortz' Chamberlain. As someone with some experience, I was thinking of you. We aren't getting any younger, now are we? But our experience is certainly beneficial in such matters. Would you be interested?'

Some time later, François came to the Queen Mother again.
'Your Majesty, the feast truly looks great. The cost was certainly worth it.' He then lowered his voice. 'It wouldn't be worth it to sever relations with France. The cost would be too high for both of our realms. And besides... I certainly don't want my cousin to stand before me, taking me prisoner - or the other way around, when I am arranging possible ransoms. My ties with France are too strong.'
'The Portuguese are not to be trusted, on the other hand. But wouldn't it be wise to weaken them economically instead of heading out to war? If they cannot support their colonies any longer, then they do not pose any threat. But I understand that might not be possible.'
'So I have to say that I will rather abstain from my limited influence on the choice of the chancellor. Or not. With your experience, you certainly know that the nobility has sometimes very differing opinions and few are voiced openly. Maybe a diet should be called for the nobility to express their wishes in a way to introduce the Chamberlain into his role. Could Your Majesty maybe make use of your influence at court? I also feel that the Cortz should have the ability to judge over its fellow nobles alone with the king, but that is for another time.'
'Maybe these concessions towards the nobility would bring me to express my support for you. Even if I urge you not to call for war too quickly, I would be inclined to see it as a bad necessity...'

Juan was bemused, father had said court was chaotic and he hadn't lied, with the death of the king so recent in the minds of most attending. But overall he kept to himself, but a little power play never hurt anyone now did it.

He moved with an unnerving grace, something he recalled his late father had refered about when talking about Pope Clemens. Guess it comes to us clergy naturally he reasoned. He offered his respects to the shrouded king, and greeted all whom he met, many being distant or not so distant relatives of his, and he chuckled to himself when the looked at him with confusion, understandabe he knew due this being his first formal outting from Zaragoza, although he would often shift to pirineo, to see family and get words of advice from The Iron Cardinal. Eventually he met the Prince, who seemed different his brother, but he knew the weight he carried, Prince never King, or in juan's case Archbishop not Duke. He spoke softly to him, being most cordial- informing the prince about himself. "my brother aplogises for not being able to attend, he is too poorly currently, but i ask on his behalf whether the royal family hath any children" explaining it as his brother was always eager, like their father, to quickly marry off his children.

After the Prince's response, Juan bowed and resumed his watchful gaze, ever watching in this game of shadows.

New character profile
Name: Juan II Francesco Michael de Soneta
DOB: 11th March 1542
Class: Clergy
Religion: Catholic
Biography: Born the second son to Francesco de Soneta, he knew from the outsed that he would not lay claim to Pirineo, his brother being ever healthy. He watched distantly throughout his life as his brother and sisters got married, as he had done through his life. But through diligance and dedication he has prepared and learnt a great deal, both eccelescial and natural, as he has risen to the rank of Archbishop of Zaragoza. With his father now passed, he hopes that he too can achieve greatness like his namesake had before him

((in case isn't blatent- i would like Juan II to become Archbishop of Zaragoza))

Reactions:
Some time later, François came to the Queen Mother again.
'Your Majesty, the feast truly looks great. The cost was certainly worth it.' He then lowered his voice. 'It wouldn't be worth it to sever relations with France. The cost would be too high for both of our realms. And besides... I certainly don't want my cousin to stand before me, taking me prisoner - or the other way around, when I am arranging possible ransoms. My ties with France are too strong.'
'The Portuguese are not to be trusted, on the other hand. But wouldn't it be wise to weaken them economically instead of heading out to war? If they cannot support their colonies any longer, then they do not pose any threat. But I understand that might not be possible.'
'So I have to say that I will rather abstain from my limited influence on the choice of the chancellor. Or not. With your experience, you certainly know that the nobility has sometimes very differing opinions and few are voiced openly. Maybe a diet should be called for the nobility to express their wishes in a way to introduce the Chamberlain into his role. Could Your Majesty maybe make use of your influence at court? I also feel that the Cortz should have the ability to judge over its fellow nobles alone with the king, but that is for another time.'
'Maybe these concessions towards the nobility would bring me to express my support for you. Even if I urge you not to call for war too quickly, I would be inclined to see it as a bad necessity...'

"Indeed, it would be tragic for our ties with France to be cut. There are many families within Hispania with close ties to nobility with France. I would hate to see them pitted against each other. As for the Portuguese I do not think targeting their economy will be enough. They will continue to expand in the Caribbean and grow richer as they do. We must strike at the source of their wealth, especially before they can convince the Papacy to endorse their colonial efforts in the region. That is why it is imperative we strike now."

Queen Mother Caterina listened to the rest of the duke's concerns about the nobility. Could she convince the king to hold a diet? Such a thing would certainly speed up the process of picking the first chamberlain, but it could also backfire and allow the nobles to organize, potentially against her. She knew many of them held no love for here. Then again, gaining the support of some of the more influential nobles, such as Montségur, might fix that dilemma for her. After plastering a smile on her face, Caterina said, "I may be able to convince the king to hold a diet for the nobility to help select a new chamberlain, seeing as the position is brand new after all."

New character profile
Name: Juan II Francesco Michael de Soneta
DOB: 11th March 1542
Class: Clergy
Biography: Born the second son to Francesco de Soneta, he knew from the outsed that he would not lay claim to Pirineo, his brother being ever healthy. He watched distantly throughout his life as his brother and sisters got married, as he had done through his life. But through diligance and dedication he has prepared and learnt a great deal, both eccelescial and natural, as he has risen to the rank of Archbishop of Zaragoza. With his father now passed, he hopes that he too can achieve greatness like his namesake had before him

((in case isn't blatent- i would like Juan II to become Archbishop of Zaragoza))

((There is no archbishopric in Zaragoza, so you'll have to pick another one. I may have confused you by saying that it should be one in the chat the other day, but that's because the one in Pirineo is the inaccurate one and should be in Zaragoza. However, since it is occupied, I can't switch them.))

((fair does, i did miscatch your drift then mike :p, guess i'll take either barcelona or valencia, wherever you'd rather have me :) also can i get a answer for Manuel's (Juan II's brother) interest in royal babies :) ))

((@Andre Massena sorry about breaking our tradition, francesco died too soon, so had to be done))

((Private))

Caterina did her best to hide a smile. The Inquisition was already a sore spot at court, especially amongst the nobles. She personally had no issue with it. As long as it rooted out heretics and did not threaten the Crown, it could only strengthen Hispania. Caterina took a moment to collect her thoughts before speaking.

"The rumours are indeed true," the Queen Mother said. "While the position of chancellor has little to do with internal affairs, and thus the Inquisition, it might make the king listen more closely to his mother. And I can assure you that I will only have good things to say about the Inquisition."

"A toast to our friendship"

((Chancellor: Caterina))

((fair does, i did miscatch your drift then mike :p, guess i'll take either barcelona or valencia, wherever you'd rather have me :) also can i get a answer for Manuel's (Juan II's brother) interest in royal babies :) ))

((Barcelona it is. :) I think I'll start saving Valencia for Trastamara clergy.))

Juan was bemused, father had said court was chaotic and he hadn't lied, with the death of the king so recent in the minds of most attending. But overall he kept to himself, but a little power play never hurt anyone now did it.

He moved with an unnerving grace, something he recalled his late father had refered about when talking about Pope Clemens. Guess it comes to us clergy naturally he reasoned. He offered his respects to the shrouded king, and greeted all whom he met, many being distant or not so distant relatives of his, and he chuckled to himself when the looked at him with confusion, understandabe he knew due this being his first formal outting from Zaragoza, although he would often shift to pirineo, to see family and get words of advice from The Iron Cardinal. Eventually he met the Prince, who seemed different his brother, but he knew the weight he carried, Prince never King, or in juan's case Archbishop not Duke. He spoke softly to him, being most cordial- informing the prince about himself. "my brother aplogises for not being able to attend, he is too poorly currently, but i ask on his behalf whether the royal family hath any children" explaining it as his brother was always eager, like their father, to quickly marry off his children.

"I imagine the Queen Mother has been busy arranging marriages of her grandchildren to any foreign royal that could increase Hispania's power," Prince Marti said. "I, however, have been looking for more local nobility to marry my daughters into. I believe it is always important that the royal family maintains close ties to its nobility."

((I'm back.))

9f3d264b74874d8a1e25bf7a8a45f865.jpg

Name: Ferrante Peralta
Date of Birth: 6 March, 1545
Class: Courtier
Bio: The eldest son of a minor merchant, Ferrante Peralta, while not a noble, comes from a family of affluence, and he has received the best education a commoner's money can buy. Tutored in the arts of politics and court intrigue by his teachers and instructed in the ways of finance and trade by his father, Ferrante is an ambitious young man who seeks to make his mark on the world. Wishing to surpass the relatively insignificant achievements of his father, Ferrante has arrived at the Hispanic court, eager to serve his King, his God, and (probably) himself.

Traits: Fortune Builder, Administrator, Diligent, Ambitious, Greedy

Last edited:
Reactions:
Juan replied in earnst to his prince "my brother, as i said earlier, marries his children quick, so he can not offer the hand of his first born, but he does have a new babe, a bubbling son called Ferran- i believe in recognition to your late brother, May the Lord bless him. Should i pass on that you would wish to have a daughter of yours married to the child, or would you be against such a notion" almost purring at the end of his enquiry. Juan could only wait, and he hoped brother would be happy, should his playing work...

((Finally, people are coming back instead of leaving. :)))

Juan replied in earnst to his prince "my brother, as i said earlier, marries his children quick, so he can not offer the hand of his first born, but he does have a new babe, a bubbling son called Ferran- i believe in recognition to your late brother, May the Lord bless him. Should i pass on that you would wish to have a daughter of yours married to the child, or would you be against such a notion" almost purring at the end of his enquiry. Juan could only wait, and he hoped brother would be happy, should his playing work...

((*cough* late brother = Alfons *cough*))

"How old is the child?" Marti asked. "I have many daughters to marry off and it would be most appropriate for them to be of similar age."

((I'm Back! Well, more like back to lurking. Let's just say this whole feast thing has instilled some confidence in me when it comes to future of this iAAR. And I couldn't resist keeping an eye on some old Aragonese friends. You may see House D'Este return to Modena yet! :)

Reactions:
((@Michaelangelo woops, Juan has been shut away from politics, he not the best on recalling all the kings, and the child (might as well do in here as this already addressed to you, thereby saving me time, was born 1570))

((@Von Habsburg wooohooo glad to see you back, was sad when you went, but now that you are back, excited to see what you will be as now :) ))

((@Michaelangelo woops, Juan has been shut away from politics, he not the best on recalling all the kings, and the child (might as well do in here as this already addressed to you, thereby saving me time, was born 1570))

((Well Marti has daughters born in 1551, 1556, 1563, 1567, and 1570, so I assume something can be worked out.))

Hernando Francisco de Leon got up and walked around the dining hall (or wherever the feast was being held). The food here was some of the best. He hadn't eaten good food in a long time, not since he began exploring the savage lands of the new world.

By chance he passed by Prince Marti. "Pardon me for interrupting, your highness, but did you say you have daughters to marry off? I have been searching in vain for a suitable match for my son. It has been quite hard to manage family affairs, what with my expeditions in the new world."

Hernando Francisco de Leon got up and walked around the dining hall (or wherever the feast was being held). The food here was some of the best. He hadn't eaten good food in a long time, not since he began exploring the savage lands of the new world.

By chance he passed by Prince Marti. "Pardon me for interrupting, your highness, but did you say you have daughters to marry off? I have been searching in vain for a suitable match for my son. It has been quite hard to manage family affairs, what with my expeditions in the new world."

"Why yes, I have been seeking matches for my daughters," Prince Marti said with a smile. Perhaps another marital alliance here? "How old is your son? I am certain I can arrange a suitable match with one of my daughters."

Marina approaches Jan Pieterszoon.

((Private @ThePatriotOfDreumel ))

I see you have not yet expressed a choice for chancellor, sir.
Can I convince you that the prince may be a better choice than Queen Dowager Caterina? His Highness' Plan would secure far greater trade income, I am sure. The Portuguese are our competitors at home - and thus it is at home that they must be stopped.
Heavens knows how far she will go to appease the French, It would be a great blow to trade if she ceded Provence to them... She certainly seems more concerned with the Church than with Trade.

Marina Points at the retreating backs of the Iron Cardinal and Caterina, deep in conversation.

"Why yes, I have been seeking matches for my daughters," Prince Marti said with a smile. Perhaps another marital alliance here? "How old is your son? I am certain I can arrange a suitable match with one of my daughters."
Well, he was born in around 1565, your highness, if that is desirable.

Marina approaches Jan Pieterszoon.

((Private @ThePatriotOfDreumel ))

I see you have not yet expressed a choice for chancellor, sir.
Can I convince you that the prince may be a better choice than Queen Dowager Caterina? His Highness' Plan would secure far greater trade income, I am sure. The Portuguese are our competitors at home - and thus it is at home that they must be stopped.
Heavens knows how far she will go to appease the French, It would be a great blow to trade if she ceded Provence to them... She certainly seems more concerned with the Church than with Trade.

Marina Points at the retreating backs of the Iron Cardinal and Caterina, deep in conversation.

((Private @Keinwyn ))

None of the candidates seem to really wants the trade the way I want it.

I want Portugal and their colonies both conquered. None of the candidates actually seems to say this...

If you can convince Prince Martí to do that, I'll vote for him.

((Private talk with Prince Martí @Michaelangelo))

"Hõla, senõr Martí! I wanted to talk about your plan as Chancellor of the nation. I would like to conquer Portugal too, but I also want the colonies for trade. If you make this change to your plans, you will have my full support."

Last edited: