• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Excellent stuff, TJDS. Thanks for compiling. :)

Some general comments/suggestions:

*Although Mitsuhide was against the war with Spain, it should also be mentioned that he was also one, if not the, prime figure in kickstarting the debate over war with Korea, which he supported. It would be thus wrong to say that either him or his faction were originally anti-war, though with the good doctor in charge they are likely moving in that direction.
* I'm pretty sure Mitsuhide was a Count, not a Marquess, and Hiroshi a KMT not JMU MP.
* Innovation Association is an awful name for a faction. Why not call it the Reform Association instead? Not only are innovation and reform sometimes synonymous in East Asian languages, but it sounds better in English and also references Mitsuhide's failed Reform Act.))

As leader of the Farmer-Labor Party I must propose a 12 hour nominating period (Ends Monday at 1 AM) for anyone running against me for leadership of the Party. I welcome any members of the party wanting to challenge my leadership position and the debate that would ensue. I will be running this time under a platform of Protectionism / State Capitalism / Pluralism / Limited Citizenship / Pacifism to include a wider tolerance of all Japanese citizens while protecting the rights of the Japanese people over all. Following this war in which we nearly lost everything we must adopt a policy of pacifism and cooperative diplomacy to ensure Asian unity and prosperity. Our platform must also include the expansion of the suffrage, legalization of all kinds of trade unions, farm subsidies, work safety improvement, and land reform.

jg1c0nk.png

((Private Maxwell))

General Yamagata.

Following the death of Date Munenari, and the failed attack in Russia, we wish to personal speak to you about the future of our military. The military seems to be falling in line with you General Yamagata. We may discuss the future of the Imperial Army over tea and lunch at my estate in Kyoto. We do hope the honorable general will be able to attend

-Emperor Meiji

((Private))

"Date dead..." Ryoma read.

"Everybody must die at some point," said Sayaka, his wife.

"Yes, but Date...you sort of got used to him being alive," Ryoma said.

"But aren't you guys rivals?"

"Technically no."

"So what are you going to do now? Jiyudo is dead, and there is nobody that would be willing to reform the Loyalists with you."

Ryoma looked at his son practicing with a katana outside and then looked Sayaka in the face.

"We need a political revolution ((RP only))," he said, "I'm joining the NLP and taking down the jingoists from inside."

((Public))

I announce my defection to the NLP and my support of the honorable Dr. Satake Hiroshi as the NLP candidate for Prime Minister. I refuse to work with a corrupt and immoral party that has lost its way.

~Sakamoto Ryoma

I announce my defection to the NLP and my support of the honorable Dr. Satake Hiroshi as the NLP candidate for Prime Minister.

((Ugh. Entryism...))

Reactions:
((Join or stop being snarky))

((I said I'd leave if rigging became a thing, rigging is not a thing ergo I haven't left.))

((I said I'd leave if rigging became a thing, rigging is not a thing ergo I haven't left.))

((Don't be a pedant, it was a thing and you left and because you make lil OOC snippets no one can tell if you rejoined. Stop being snarky.))

((Don't be a pedant, it was a thing and you left and because you make lil OOC snippets no one can tell if you rejoined. Stop being snarky.))

((No dude this isn't pedantry, it's what I said. I said if this becomes a regular thing I'll leave and Naxhi said this won't be a regular thing. If he said, "no, this is going to be a thing" then I'd have said "fine, I'm off. Enjoy the AAR guys."))

((No dude this isn't pedantry, it's what I said. I said if this becomes a regular thing I'll leave and Naxhi said this won't be a regular thing. If he said, "no, this is going to be a thing" then I'd have said "fine, I'm off. Enjoy the AAR guys."))

((What did I just say... >.>))

((Actually, Naxboi got rid of the election rigging thing, by the by))

In response to the Marquis Uesugi, Count Kusaribe makes an opposing speech.

In a world where men are not equal, Prince Date was a man blessed by heaven. Head and shoulders above his peers, his iron will and steady hand kept the land stable, his courage and discipline swept enemies before him, his diligence shaped the nation we see today. Is it any wonder then that such a man should rise to lead us?

Likewise nations are not equal, the strong and capable rise to the top, the weak and passive shall be cast into the oblivion of history. Do we want Nippon to be a forgotten island dominated by some barbaric nanban power? We must grasp our place in the world! For I guarantee you, it will not be bestowed by another.

Nippon is prepared to sacrifice whatever it takes to protect her own. The Marshal and his heroic soldiers proved that with their deaths. With those very same deaths Nippon evolves towards her future, her spirit, resolve and unity stronger and more full of purpose than ever before. Men of Japan! Honour your Marshal and fight! Fight for your future! Fight for the Memory of Prince Date!

The Marquis responds to the Count Kusaribe.

"Prince Date was a man of fortitude, and his place will be judged by history. I will pass no judgement on the recently passed, for they cannot defend themselves from criticism or compliment.

However stating that we need war to ensure our independence and national vitality speaks volumes as to the class of character exhibited by the National Liberals. Are we such small thinkers that to meet one's ancestors is the epitome of life upon this earth? Do you ensure your place in your home by killing all your neighbours? No. Or at least I pray not. We need not take what we can easily purchase.

Furthermore, the need for sacrifice is redundant. Why should we have immense waves of death, robbing our land of sons, fathers, and brothers? We rob the fields, rob the banks, rob the factories, and rob the markets of those that would seek to do business. We cannot build a strong Japan on a throne of bones. No, we need to build a strong Japan on a throne of gold, one that enables us to ensure any and all threats can be cast off with neither hesitation nor response.

Lastly, to sully the name of the dead by using their name as a cry in which to have the youth charge into the enemy is low. I do hope that you apologise to the late Lord Date's family and light a candle in their honour before long."

With a new election around the corner, one which we must hope will remain free from interference, I have decided to pledge myself to a party. Despite my previous disagreements with the Farmer-Labor Party I see the current Primaries as an opportunity for change. I will join the Farmer-Labor Party.

I nominate myself for Farmer-Labor Party Leadership. As a former Radical Progress Party and Freedom Party member I have long supported Pacifism throughout Japan. As a nation we must realize that sending our youth do die amongst mud and sulphur is not the way forward. To know that over two hundred thousand men died for nothing, men who were sons, men who were brothers, men who were fathers; to know this is a dreadful thing. I will be running in support of Pacifism. Together as Japanese we must learn to tolerate and accept other people & cultures; we claim to be the Protectors of All Asia, first we must show that we are just and fair to all. I will run in support of Limited Citizenship. We must learn that Asia is a diverse continent, home of many different religions. I shall support Pluralism. We must protect our industry, for it is the lifeblood of our nation. We must reduce our trade with the Nanban so that Japanese products can be sold on our shelves. For our industry to bloom we must have Protectionism. The State will provide and to the State we must give. The State should be in control of our economy but we must allow the People to contribute to society as well. We shall have State Capitalism. I will support the industry and move for more rights for workers; should they toil in factories, in mineshafts, or on a farm. For the good of the People I advise that you vote Hajamoto for the Farmer-Labor Party.

~ Hajamoto Kiyotaka

Recently released after a prisoner trade, Iroh Hirotaka is now finally able once more to take part in political discussion.

I second the nomination of Count Yamagata Michitsura as the leader of the NLP after the death of Date.

The Count General had recently arrived in Edo when servants from the Imperial Palace in Kyoto arrived bearing a letter with the seal of the Emperor. Fanatical in his devotion to the Emperor and Japan, the letter was quickly opened, the aged Count General humbled and awed by the Heavenly Sovereign's invitation for him to visit Kyoto. It was his first priority, above all else, to respond to such and make for Kyoto to present himself to the Emperor.

His Majesty, the Heavenly Sovereign,

I am most humbled to be invited to the Imperial Palace to discuss a number of important matters with the Chrysanthemum Throne. I shall make for Kyoto with utmost haste and present myself, ready to seek audience at the discretion of the Sumeramikoto.

His Majesty's Humble Servant,

Yamagata Michitsura, 1st Count Hagi

"And so, in an inevitable result of his warmongering, Date died as he lived: on the battlefield. But I do not cheer his death, though it will hopefully bring an end to the endless war that has plagued a generation of our young men. No, I pity him, for the same folly that claimed the lives of so many of our children has claimed one life more, and that is never something to cheer. I can only hope that whoever wins this election chooses to pursue the path of peace. Have not the people suffered enough?"

- Excerpt from an editorial penned by the Viscount Okayama for the Mainichi Shinbun

---

Nominations for General-Secretary of the Constitutional Democratic Party are now open, and I will put in my name as a contender.

My platform will be the same as in 1891, that is Free Trade / Laissez Faire / Secularism / Limited Citizenship / Pacifism.