• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 5 - 1097 to 1107: The Turbulent Years

With the King of England having lowered the crown authority on behalf of the civil war, Ralf begins planning his next move. Essex will surely be the next target, then Northampton. Before any war effort, though, Ralf and his council agree that East Anglia should rebuild its levies and restockpile its gold.

fkv8XKK.jpg

In July of 1097, King Eadwig of England requests that Ralf becomes Marshal of England. He, of course, accepts.

83f3MuP.jpg

Then, less than a month after the First Civil War of England ended, a second war, this time trying to overthrow the 'tyrant' king. The leader of the revolt is a mere child, duke of Essex, who is being controlled by his devious regent. He sends a letter, begging Ralf to join their cause, as they are thoroughly outnumbered. Having seen enough of war at the moment, Ralf declines.

VOjKwpG.jpg

The next matter of important that Ralf must take care of is his imprisoned, treacherous half brother, Catguethen. While he is no longer heir, he does have a claim on the duchy. Ralf, not wishing to kill him, banishes him to the Breton kingdom of Breizh.

iw18Htd.jpg
2DJeK2M.jpg

5 years after the Pope called it, the Crusade for Jerusalem ends in a defeat. Europe, having been too preoccupied with its own problems, seemed less than committed to the Crusade.

FRnsnss.jpg

bDezqeU.jpg

after 2 years of quiet in East Anglia, although not in the rest of England, there is little new other than the death of Gunhild, and the news that levies are back up to prewar levels.

xT5Nl3e.jpg

In December of 1099, Duke Ralf II of East Anglia passes away at the age of 59. His son and heir, the new Duke of East Anglia, is only 6 years old, and his uncle Gouletec is chosen as regent until Ralf III reaches maturity. For now, his heir is his brother Cenguethen.

cLt2iTP.jpg

nK8z8bi.jpg

(I know it says he is 8, but I took the screenshot a little late)

In July of 1102, Spymaster Ceolwulf passes away. He is replaced by Bishop Cenguethen of Norwich. He is sent to study technology is Paris, France.

EX7pTS2.jpg

In September, the Court Chaplain also passes away. However, no replacement can be found and the job remains unoccupied for the time being.

CwEaHNA.jpg

In November, even worse news reaches Norfolk. Count Ealdwulf of Suffolk, son of the late Count Harold of Suffolk, declared that he is the true ruler of East Anglia. He sends an ultimatum to Ralf and his regent, demanding they step aside. They refuse and the East Anglican Civil War begins.

iSfWfU9.jpg

SyZwnoI.jpg

Unlike the enemy, Norfolk nearly always has a good store of gold in case of war. 1 thousand Norfolk troops are raised and 2 thousand mercenaries hired. All that the treacherous count can muster is 1143 troops. At the same time, the Second English Civil War ends.

kiabDvF.jpg

In a surprising move, the King of England decides to implement even lower crown authority. It is quickly approved and passed.

Xvr8YAY.jpg

In March of 1103, the army of Norfolk marches on Suffolk. It is a victory, and the winning army lays siege to Suffolk.

D75astb.jpg

6XSniIe.jpg

Money runs low, and in September, the Mercenaries Ralf hired refuse to work for nothing. They turn and join Count Ealdwulf instead.

UWoHKwE.jpg

With a much smaller army, against a much larger foe, Ralf and his regent send an offer of White Peace to Ealdwulf, who accepts. For now, there is peace within East Anglia. But Ralf, now 10 years of age, will never forget the betrayal, and, certainly, neither will Ealdwulf.

eMIJunn.jpg

(I'm not sure why Guoletec was imprisoned from a white peace. Is it just me, or have I never seen a white peace end in the aggressor's imprisonment?)

With the stockpiles of gold now nonexistent, East Anglia must again rebuild its wealth. In 1104, the East Anglican Marshal dies. Again, no suitable replacement can be found. Ralf is now without a Marshal or Court Chaplain.

4EzZgo9.jpg

On the 22 of March, 1107, Ralf III reaches manhood.

Ftz0ePV.jpg

After the last few turbulent years in East Anglia, can Ralf finally reunite East Anglia under one duke?

Reactions:
You handled the civil war nicely. Duke Ralf III is proving to be competent, at the least. What are his stats?

You handled the civil war nicely. Duke Ralf III is proving to be competent, at the least. What are his stats?
I'd say his regent did most of the work in the civil war. His regent was pretty competent. I'll post a full account of Ralf III in the next update.

England and East Anglia are still unstable, but hopefully the white peace in your civil war will bring stability to the duchy for the years to come.

Good thing that you were able to pacify Suffolk so efficiently – although with a white peace does he lose the claim? I worry that you may have only postponed the time bomb.

Of course, Norfolk could just keep him imprisoned for ever – but I dare say that would help the situation even less.

EDIT: Also, check this out.

Last edited:
Very interesting! I'll have to follow this. :)

Wow England is really is not in the strongest position right now. Quick! exploit this and grab the rest of the East Anglia! :)

Chapter 6 - 1107 to 1112: Reunion

Duke Ralf III of East Anglia shares very little with his father. While his father was a brave warrior and a great administrator, Ralf III lacks any sort of military or administrative training. However, he is an excellent diplomat, and that may be what East Anglia needs at the moment.

eKzT0Ca.jpg

Having finally reached maturity, Ralf III sets about trying to stabilize East Anglia. After a thorough search of the duchy, a new marshal and spymaster are hired, the spymaster being Ralf's mother. Neither has any talent in their 'areas of expertise', but they fill the role until a more suitable candidate can be found. A court chaplain is still unable to be procured, and the duchy is running low on commanders. It appears the civil war and the years prior to it drove many people away from East Anglia.

JqPCXpg.jpg

Chancellor Guoletec is sent to improve relations with the King, while the new marshal, incompetent as he is, is sent to calm the peasants in Norfolk after the tough years of the war. Since he is now of age, Ralf starts thinking of marriage. In April of 1107, Ralf marries the daughter of King Leofric of England, princess Beorhtwaru. While this does not create any new alliances for Ralf, it does much to improve relations with the King.

LbOirFQ.jpg

In April of 1108, Ralf's sister Margaret comes of age. She is married to the Duke of Essex, securing an alliance.

CSB7YZh.jpg

Cenguethen, brother and current heir of Ralf, comes of age. He is betrothed to the daughter of the Duke of Mercia, the most powerful duke in England, having inherited the Duke of York just months previously.

Q2H9F5b.jpg

Q2H9F5b.jpg

ggYhlsS.jpg

(The Duke of Mercia's Land)

Before he could be married, Cenguethen dies of pneumonia. Mercia will not become an ally.

SJAjmKz.jpg

Having waited long enough, Ralf declares war on the count of Essex on the first day of the year 1111, claiming the county as rightfully his. A several thousand man army is raised. East Anglia's ally, Duke Leofheah of Essex (ironically) joins the war on Ralf's side. On the enemy's side is also the Duke of Kent and earls of Wessex and Shrewbury. In East Anglia, Guoletec dies. No new chancellor can be found and East Anglia is now without a chancellor or court chaplain.

Nvhn623.jpg

The East Anglican and allied armies march on Essex in March, destroying their small army, and laying seige to the county.

842auYc.jpg

(Forgot to edit this one, You'll get to see the -17 gold in ALL its glory)

In July, Ralf's wife is pregnant with their first child. Unlike his father, Ralf is beginning his family at a young age. To the north, a large army of enemies lays siege to Norfolk.

h6Q7pOY.jpg

Meanwhile, the King of England is in a minor war against one of his vassals, and he requests that Ralf becomes a commander. Why is unclear, as Ralf is not known for his military prowess. Nevertheless, he accepts.

e7i3Cmp.jpg

Not wanting to lose Norfolk so early in the war, the combined army moves and engages the enemy besiegers.

muMS5jY.jpg

It is a victory, and the victors travel south to set up their second siege of Essex.

RWZTkVd.jpg

On February 3rd, 1112, Ralf's first son is born. He is given the name Attalus.

16a8UDz.jpg

In September, the English war ends with a victory for the king. At the same time, Ralf's sister, who was married to the Duke of Essex, passes away.

V9JKnWB.jpg

GiMTv2m.jpg

Shortly after her death, the defenders of Colchester, Essex, give up. With his capital taken, the Count of Essex surrenders.

jHM9dU9.jpg

pxBtoFt.jpg

The Duchy of East Anglia is finally united under one ruler.

iwsswZT.jpg

NOTE:
- I was a little lazy with this update, I apologize. I got up early and was out all morning, so I was pretty tired.
- I think I'll be naming children based on the earliest consistent commenters.
- Beorhtwaru is quite possibly the most horrific name I have ever seen. I will probably never refer to her by her name. Maybe just 'the wife'.

Reactions:
Okay I see that the world out side of England is once again on a very different course and one can only hope that your exploits will bring you enough power quickly enough to bring about a new world order.

England looks like its going to be rife with civil war soon.

Yes, East Anglia is united ! That's a start.

Very pleasant to read by the way. :)

How did France divide?

Shame about Ralf III's siblings dying so young. Here's hoping young Attalus will not be an only child, as House de Gaul seems to be few in number so far.

Looking forward to the next update :)

Last edited:
Ah, at last your duchy is united. Now you can start grabbing more power.

Also, you're not wrong; the wife's name is... odd, to say the least.

What hirsute 14-year-olds you have! Evidently all the hair had some sort of Samsonesque affect and allowed you to conquer the rest of East Anglia so easily.

Reactions:
Okay I see that the world out side of England is once again on a very different course and one can only hope that your exploits will bring you enough power quickly enough to bring about a new world order.

That might be in at least 8 or so more centuries.

England looks like its going to be rife with civil war soon.

Yep. The diplomatic situation is pretty wrecked.

Yes, East Anglia is united ! That's a start.

Very pleasant to read by the way. :)

Thanks. The county of Essex not de jure part of East Anglia, but the original Duke did control the county.

How did France divide?

Not sure. In most of my games, Aquitaine always gets independence and wreaks havoc in France.

Shame about Ralf III's siblings dying so young. Here's hoping young Attalus will not be an only child, as House de Gaul seems to be few in number so far.

Looking forward to the next update :)

I'm getting kinda worried. The de Gaels are a pretty sickly bunch.

Ah, at last your duchy is united. Now you can start grabbing more power.

Also, you're not wrong; the wife's name is... odd, to say the least.

Ralf is probably the most normal in the AAR. Cenguethen, Guoletec, they all sound so strange.

What hirsute 14-year-olds you have! Evidently all the hair had some sort of Samsonesque affect and allowed you to conquer the rest of East Anglia so easily.

Yes! Although I love the mod that lowers the age of manhood and education, it is pretty silly when your 14 year old has a beard longer than his father.

And, to everyone, I'm sorry that I post updates at such weird times. I live in a pretty out-of-the-way area of the world, so my morning to noon (when I usually play, edit, then post) is usually the US's and Europe's very late night or early morning.

Chapter 7 - 1112 to 1122: The Quiet Years

The Duchy of East Anglia is back to the largest it has been for over 40 years. While its size has increased, its strength has dwindled. Years of civil war, both of England and East Anglia, have depleted the gold stores and manpower of the land. Diplomatic relations between the vassals and the Duke are the lowest they have ever been, the Count of Suffolk even imprisoned. Soon after the victory feast in the conquered county of Essex, Ralf III sets about fixing the dire situation. A new chancellor is still nowhere to be seen, the only candidate of such low skill that Ralf refuses to hire him. But a court chaplain is found, though with very little skill, by the name of Sigeræd of Waltham. He is sent to make connections with the Papacy in Rome.

doPghlV.jpg

To secure a future alliance, Ralf suggests to the Duke of Mercia a betrothal between Ralf's son and his daughter. The Duke accepts. Of course, little Attalus is only a few months old.

o1KezO1.jpg

In October of 1114, King Leofric of England declares war against Scotland over the county of Cumberland. In the last few years, the last Count of Cumberland died. His only heir was the Scottish Duke of Lothian.

9FxqA8f.jpg

9 thousand troops of England engage 6 thousand troops of Scotland. It is a close victory for England, although the victor came out of it with less than half his original force.

klELQdx.jpg

AxRtzej.jpg

In September of 1115, Ralf's wife is pregnant. A few months later, Attalus becomes 4 years of age. Ralf decides that he should tutor his son himself.

7joDBzv.jpg

Pcuwu7D.jpg

April of 1116 brings about the birth of Ralf's first daughter. She is named The Anguished One.

dN5Tnkm.jpg

In November, Ralf is offered the position of Commander of England. He accepts and makes for the lines of war in the north.

NcEl8Wf.jpg

In 1117 gold is flowing in East Anglia, and Ralf orders the construction of a new Militia Training Grounds in Norfolk. With this he hopes to improve the Duchy's fighting force.

yCHAmfg.jpg

Shortly after, Scotland surrenders the County of Cumberland. England is again at peace.

legvrAH.jpg

In December a messenger of the King brings Ralf a formal invitation to a feast hosted at the border county of Teviotdale. Ralf accepts and sets out. All in all it is a rather uneventful feast, and Ralf heads back to Norfolk in February of the next year.

4m6R2C3.jpg

In March of 1118, the Court Chaplain dies. A new, very skilled court chaplain is found. He is named Samson of Waltham, and he was the heir of the last Court Chaplain. however, Samson passes away within the year and is replaced by his own heir as Court Chaplain.

SvdK161.jpg

Nothing of interest happens in the next year other than the completion of the Militia Training Ground is finished in January of 1119. The armies of East Anglia grow in size...

The wife is again pregnant in October.

z2jk4Q6.jpg

In November, a traveler from the Breton Kingdom of Breizh decides to remain in East Anglia. He is a skilled diplomat and is offered the position of Chancellor, which he accepts.

1U9Dkta.jpg

A son is born in May of 1120. He is named Loup.

2m9xZj7.jpg

Later in the year, the King hosts another feast in Teviotdale. Ralf, invited, sets out for the border once again. While there, Ralf begins consuming alcohol to no end. By the end of the feast, he is known as a drunkard by all the guests there.

sY71IdT.jpg

A month after he returns to Norfolk, the wife is again pregnant. By October of 1121, she gives birth to a daughter whom they name Saxona.

moAkPLD.jpg

In November, King Leofric declares war on the small Welsh kingdom Gwynedd. His intent is to take the kingdom in the name of the Duke of Mercia, who has a claim to it.

DkP22W9.jpg

As the year turns to 1122, things are looking up for East Anglia; their armies are strong again, gold is flowing, and there are plenty of de Gael children.

dxBnnDu.jpg

NOTE:
-I know the names are a bit silly, but I kinda like it that way!
-France is back as one. Aquitaine didn't last long!
-Christianity is getting wrecked pretty badly in Anatolia, not quite as bad in Iberia.
-I've changed my inheritance laws to Elective. Just FYI.

Reactions:
These years of peace worked out quite nicely for the Duke. Hopefully you can start working your way up the ladder...

The weird names are great. Ralf III's first daughter, The Anguished One. Ah, that's hilarious to me. Elective succession law should make things more interesting for the de Gael family.

How low is Christianity's authority? You might well end up a heretical duke.

Saxona? nice name. :)

Reactions: