• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Letter to Juan de Porcelli

Your accession to the title of Count is a joyous occasion. If it pleases you, our houses could be joined in marriage to celebrate this event. My Granddaughter, María will be in need of a good husband if you would take her upon her maturity.

Armand Antonio Sastre,
Count of Urgell.

Letter to Armand Antonio Sastre

My friend of course I accept your most gracious offer to become your daughters betrothed. I hope his situation can bring a long lasting Union to both houses

Juan de Porcelli
Count of Almeria

You are being placed under arrest in the name of the Holy Aragonese Inquisition for crimes against the Catholic Church.

Maybe your heathen gods will answer you at the bottom of a dark cell.

-the Iron Cardinal

Xs93UHA.png

I admit from what I've heard of the investigation, the evidence is slim. Nevertheless, the recent vote has me concerned. This heresy could already have roots in this court we're not even aware of. I will not interfere with the Inquisition in this matter and allow this to occur. May this heretical faith be rooted out and destroyed. If the Inquisition decides to release Ferdinant II de Almeria if no further evidence is found, I will permit him to resume his position as admiral and merchant of Aragon.
- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

((@ThePatriotOfDreumel is now placed under arrest. His VP is cut in half and he loses all his positions, at least for now. The imprisonment can only last a maximum of 10 years, although the clergy/Inquisition may release him earlier than that. Since the investigation did not come up with any evidence of heresy and is imprisoning the man anyway, the Inquisition may not conduct an investigation after the next update.))

1544-1545 – Piety

Change had come to Europe. People in Germany were denouncing the Church and the word was spreading. The people seemed on the outside not to be too concerned, but matters were different at court. Support for recognition of this new faith had grown almost overnight. King Ferran III, ever the pious man, was appalled by this sympathy for heresy and refused to hear anything of it. An attempt to officially recognize Protestantism was tossed aside by the king. Instead he backed the Conventicle Act, banning all religious gatherings not authorized by the Church. Heresy would not find root in Aragon.

The Inquisition, with the full support of the Crown, started a series of investigations into heretical activity. Most of those investigated were nobodies, but the first suspect of note was Ferdinant II de Almeria. The initial investigation found nothing linked to heresy, although a few unsavoury habits of the man were discovered. Cardinal Cassano Velazquez, heading the Inquisition’s efforts, locked up the head of the Atlantic Trading Company, much to the surprise of many at court. The king allowed this effort, more fearful of possible heresy than the legality of the action.

There was also the issue of Epirus. Representative to Byzantium Alexandros Kostopoulos returned from Constantinople expressing a concern by Emperor Andronikos that tensions would rise unless a solution was found. The court was more in favour of handing over the province to the Greeks. After the recent debacle in the province, perhaps Greek rule would better handle affairs there.

Other than religious matters, affairs back in Iberia were quite tame. A small army of 3,000 men were recruited and sent to Barcelona under the order of Marshal Cassano Velazquez. Chancellor Jaume Limmona carried through with his plan to break ties with Bohemia, a faraway nation whose royal ties had been sundered years ago when the Habsburgs took over. Instead an alliance was formed with Galicia. There had been conflict between the two kingdoms long ago, but now Galicia was on its own again. There were rumours that the Galician duke, Garcia II de Alba, had merely accepted the alliance to avoid being conquered by Aragon. Regardless, ties were made as King Ferran III arranged the marriage of his son Marti to the duke’s daughter. Ties to Galicia seemed more pressing as Portugal was caught fabricating a claim on Granada.

Over in the New World, Conquistador Mathieu Valeyron went missing yet again. The expedition waited for his return, since he had wandered off on his own several times. Inevitably he did return a week later, only to inform his expedition that he had been kidnapped by a native band and had been forced to escape on his own. Perhaps the expedition would keep a closer eye on him this time.

A group of nobles complained that new production techniques were not working and that the kingdom should revert back to the old methods. King Ferran III politely turned them away, with more pressing matters on his hands.

Conquistador Miguel de Leon encountered more trouble with whiskey thieves. His men never learned. The men had been wandering the wilderness for a long time though, so he was more willing to let it slide this time.

Even though the Chancellor may have intended to bring Galicia into the fold peacefully, peasants and others who learned of peaceful relations with a nation that should be conquered by Aragon did not sit well with them. The Chancellor had to spend time calming the people and making his plan seem like a good idea.

The colony in the Falklands finally reached fruition, even if its backer was gone. It could now serve as a valuable stopping points for ventures further west. In the meantime, Colonist Miguel Villanova set off for Montevideo to found a colony for the Lübecker family.

The king had spent the last few months strengthening the faith through cooperation with the Church and Inquisition. Heresy had to be rooted out at all costs. This created a reputation for piety internationally for Aragon. The world was recognizing the kingdom’s strong faith.

As funds became available, Steward Armand Antonio Sastre began work on the construction of several barracks in northern Aragon. Manpower had always been an issue for the kingdom, so a proper training and recruitment effort could work wonders.

Conquistador Mathieu Valeyron fell for the old mistake of believing quartz was diamonds. A humiliating discovery, but all too common. However, this was meaningless compared to what was to come. An encounter with a warlike tribe went wrong when the hostile natives brutally murdered the conquistador. Aragon had lost yet another honourable man to the natives of the New World. ((Sorry @alscon but your character was killed off… again. EUIV is relentless with our conquistadors. I’m tempted to ignore these events entirely.))

Provence was spiralling downwards, losing now to Alsace of all nations. They would not be a problem in the future.

The Reformation was growing in northern Germany. Both Brunswick and Saxony had embraced this new heresy, with the latter being an elector. This heresy had not spread to Aragon yet, but it could not be ignored.

It became clear to Conquistador Leon that all natives of the New World undoubtedly separated their tribes based on sex. Those that didn’t were clearly the odd ones out. ((I can only conclude based on how many times this event fires that it was a common practice to make the women live separate. I can’t say no to free monarch points though. :p))

The Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company approached the king in August of 1545, demanding that efforts be made to take Brakna from Jolof. King Ferran III did not see any need to start a war over greed and thus declined. He had not forgotten that the head of the TPTC, Philippe de Saint-Pierre, had been the one to call for the recognition of the new heresy.

Conquistador Leon spent winter in the presence of the people of Quito, building up good relations with the locals.

The events of August 12 shocked everyone. King Ferran III, quite a spritely man for someone in his 60s, passed away without warning. The night before the king had complained of a stomach ache and went to bed, never to wake again. Some suspected poison, although proof could not be found. Rumours spread that this was the work of the heretics, trying to remove the one man standing in their way. Others pointed to the recent denied request by the TPTC to expand further in Africa. Still others suspected some of the nobles, displeased with the king granting more and more power to the Inquisition over them. Either way, the king was dead and a new one would reign.

Xs93UHA.png

Presenting His Majesty, Alfons VII de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks. ((Greedy, Paranoid, Just))

The sudden passing of my father has distressed me greatly. I had spoken to him but the day before and he had seemed in perfect health. If there is indeed foul play at work here, I want it found. All those responsible must be hunted down and made to pay for their crimes!

Queen Catherine whispers something in the king’s ear. He nods in understanding and clears his throat.

What we meant was that we do not wish our father’s death to be in vain. He had a great vision for this kingdom, one that relied on a strong dedication to the Church and the true faith. We must ensure his vision is carried out as best as we can. Now we must leave, for we must mourn our beloved father properly.

((Well that was a short update. Anyway, all ministers have until Thursday at 9am PST to post their plans, although due to the shortness of the update I expect most plans to stay the same. You may also present laws and proposals in that time. Just a reminder to our clergy that the Inquisition may not perform an investigation this turn. Also, with the king’s death, perhaps some of you want the national focus changed from admin to something else. You’ll have to request it before the deadline if you want it changed. I’ll also be editing the colonial provinces list since we can reach the west coast of South America now.

Pensioners:
@Italianajt

Dying:
@Artistove))

Heresy and treachery! Clearly these rogue villains were behind it. But this vile Almeria still would not crack after years in the dungeon and some light torture on the rack. He would have to redouble his efforts. The Mother Church was counting on him, as their many letters to the cardinal had shown. The Vatican was very worried about this mad Luther's doctrine, very worried indeed.

And the Iron Cardinal would make them pay...

He entered the tiny prison cell. The room was completely dark and windowless. The cell smelled fetid air and human waste. Velazquez used to wretch when he entered but he was now accustomed to the stench. The smell of justice.

The once proud Ferdinant II de Almeria was sprawled on the cold stone floor, completely naked.

"Today you will confess your sins," the cardinal said.

De Almeria weakly turned toward his captor.

"Did you kill His Majesty, King Ferran II?"

((Requesting a roll to frame De Almeria for the king's murder))

Rczoc1p.png

To His Royal Majesty, King Alfons VII
Your Majesty, I am so sorry for your loss. Your father was a just and pious man who dedicated his life to preserving Aragon's soul in the face of growing heresy. May his example serve as an inspiration for your reign.

I believe that your fears are correct and that there is a vile conspiracy underfoot in the court to destroy Aragon and institute a heretic cult. I am currently gathering evidence to unmask this conspiracy and discover who the culprit is behind your father's death. My belief is that the criminal Ferdinant de Almeria is behind the murder and is the main proponent of this disgusting heresy. However, I have not extracted a confession yet. I shall keep your majesty informed of my findings. We shall discover the source of this heresy and rid the court of Jewish and Lutheranite influences.

God save Aragon!

Your holy servant,

Cardinal Cassano Velazquez
Archbishop of Pirineo

((Requesting a roll to frame De Almeria for the king's murder))

((I did the roll, as requested. I gave it a 20% chance of success, based on the fact that Dreumal was locked up all the time during the death, even though at your mercy the whole time. The roll just barely favoured him, so you failed to frame him but you were close. You were not caught in the process.

On a side note, I might now simplify the crime rules so that someone can request to commit any crime and I'll make up a roll for it on the spot. Trying to organize rules for every type of crime has made a mess that I don't think will work.))

Philippe was in his office eating his dinner while looking through latest reports. On his way home Philippe felt a terrible stomach ache and collapsed to the ground. Many of the ingredients for Philippes's last meal came from the New World and had to be acquired through the ATC. Philippe de Saint-Pierre was lying dead on the streets of Valencia.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name: Auguste de Saint-Pierre
Date of birth: 1517
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Eldest son of Philippe de Saint-Pierre.He strongly supports the King, and he wants to give more power to the Crown. He is rather humble, loyal and he doesn't care for money.

A letter to King Alfons VII

Your Majesty,
I do realize that you are mourning your father, but I would humbly ask to be appointed to the same positions as my father. Well maybe expect the position of admiral. I never was a man of war...
I hope for a good cooperation between TPTC and the Crown.
Auguste de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company

Reactions:
((Private))
Ferdinant could barely walk. 12 years of hard work, gone in an instant. Nobody in court saw his importance. His only allies have betrayed him, died or disappeared. All of Aragon was in the hands of a couple of people, while the opposition slowly but surely got eliminated. One by one. He asked if he could write a letter to the king.

((Private letter to king Alfons VII de Trastámara @Michaelangelo ))

I write this, because I worry for the future of Aragon. One by one, people got eliminated from power. Aragon is in control of a small coalition of extremely powerful men, and nobody has noticed. I fear that they want to abolish the monarchy and install a theocracy or a noble republic. I was one of the last obstacles in their way and I have been imprisoned by the Inquisition, under full control of one man. I don't know who are in this coalition, but I do know that cardinal Cassano Velazques is part of the coalition.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria

Diego, as a Count and Diplomat, was naturally present to mourn the passing of Ferran III and to celebrate the coronation of Alfons VII. He had just returned from Galicia where he had assisted in the marriage negotiations and the news of the King's death surprised him somewhat but also inspired him to a degree. Ferran III was pious and humble to a fault that there was nothing there for Diego to use to his advantage, This new King however presented a new opportunity to advance himself. He waited diligently until he could secure a private audience with the King and when he did he was sure to take advantage of it.

"Your Majesty..." a deep bow followed.

"I grieve greatly with the passing of your father but my heart is lighted by your majesty's coronation for we are not a forsaken flock with you as our shepherd. In the past few months I have thought greatly about the recent strife in our Kingdom and the heresy that has touched your majesty's lands. As we speak your majesty's own Grand Admiral sits in a cell guilty of heresy."

The factual basis of the last part was of little consequence now in Diego's opinion.

"These trade companies are wealthy endeavors indeed but who do they assist? Your majesty or greedy commoners who run them? This Atlantic Trade Company has provided riches to the Kingdom but have they served you as their master? On the contrary they have served Ferdinant as their master. As we speak we have no Viceroy for Sanchonia which means the ATC are the masters of that great land. In fact the most recent counsel from your majesty's council to your father seemed to indicate from his announcements that there are nefarious forces at work so close to you. In my travels for your majesty's service I have interacted with similar councils but they differ in that one man acts as the pathway between the King and his council and that is a Lord Privy Seal...a man who carries the royal seal and acts as a true servant to the King as opposed to a servant to his own ambitions. Perhaps your majesty would receive assistance from such a position in his court? Such a position could assist your majesty in bringing these trade companies in line and ensuring that they answer to you as their master as opposed to common rabble."

He tried to get as close as possible now and Diego knelt.

"Your Majesty I fear dark forces are at work close to you. I speak to you today as your humble servant and at your command in any way you deem necessary."

Reactions:
Santiago had just the heard the news of his business partner's imprisonment. It could not be true that Ferdinant was a heretic! "I must attempt to get to the bottom of this. However, in Ferdinant's absence, the ATC must continue to establish Aragon's economic presence in the New World," thought Santiago.

Ferdinant,

With you in prison, the ATC currently is without purpose. Would you grant me permission to serve as the head until your release?

Santiago Aybar

((Can I do this?))

While Valeyron was captured by the natives, Gutierrez had gone on on his own, just like he had done the week before. To look for the conquistador, he had said. Now all could see what he really wanted.

'These dumb heathens aren't even able to accomplish the simplest of tasks', he said, pointing his musket in Valeyron's direction. 'All they had to do was keep you a bit longer, until your men abandoned you like they had abandoned me. A great explorer always is alone.' He sighed. 'Alas, I didn't want it to come to this.' The bearded men behind him grimly watched the expedition, bows ready. 'You know, I enjoyed your company. Iw ould maybe even have invited you to follow me. But Saguenay will never fall into anyone's hands but mine! Least of all Aragonese!' Gripped by the fury of his madness, he shot, piercing Valeyron's chest. All hell broke loose as the bowmen loosened their arrows and axemen attacked from behind.

Valeyron was struck hard by the betrayal, so hard that he didn't even try to defend himself. It was pointless. Now, shot, he fell on his knees. He repeatedly uttered 'Was it worth it?' as much at Gutierrez as at himself. He had no answer. Gutierrez ignored him, his attention focused on the slaughter around.
The expedition was cut down mercilessly by the attackers. He only saw one man escape, though he couldn't tell who. One thing was sure. 'No miracle here.' With these last words, he fell down under Gutierrez' maniacal laughter. 'Mine! Mine! I have found it! Saguenay is mine!' Before the laughter was abruptly cut short as the battle sounds subsided. The last thing Valeyron heard in his life was a familiar sound in an unfamiliar language. 'Nei.'

((About the matter of conquistadors, I feel the current way is fine. Else, with the speed of the discoveries I am pretty sure that Juan Ponce de Leon and Denis Philippe de Montségur would have uncovered all of America by themselves. Also gives the conquistador a chance to return to court.

Also, @05060403 , as two Saint-Pierres were on the expedition, you may want to include something about their fate... Maybe one of them has escaped the mad Castillian and the angry Vikings not wanting to have their kingdom uncovered?))

Name: François de Montségur
Date of Birth: 20th September, 1503
Class: landed noble
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Twin of the conquistador Denis Philippe de Montségur, the duke of Trinacria kept out of the kingdom's politics until now, preferring to administer his duchy's affairs from his study or admiring the sea from the nearest cliff. But with the disappearance of his brother, the death of Valeyron as well as the spread of heresy, the circumstances have changed. The interests of Trinacria needed a representant. And with the death of king Ferran III, he couldn't stand by idly any longer. He had to do all he could to prevent Aragon from heading into the wrong direction, which was the path of violence he abhorred so much.

myKh8vJ.png
Your Majesty,

My sincerest condolences for the death of Your father. He has been a great and wise king, and I am confident that You will follow in his footsteps. Yet the times are ever-changing and new problems need the attention of the crown. All these will need to be dealt with. As such, I am offering to alleviate Your grief at least a bit by dealing with the financial situation as Treasurer. My experience in my duchy will certainly help my administration of the kingdom and give You one less thing to worry about so Your Majesty can concentrate on what needs Your attention.

Long live the king!

- François de Montségur, Duc de Trinacrie

To the noble King Alfons VII,

Your Majesty, I would like to extend my deepest condolences to you regarding your father's passing. I am sure that he will be honored in the Kingdom of Heaven for his diligence protecting the Kingdom from heretics. I trust that you will continue his legacy, and lead Aragon into an era of prosperity, though not necessarily peace.

May you live a long and be healthful,

Santiago Aybar

((I'll leave the AAR for a while. The current situation is too unbalanced to be fun. I'll come back when the court is more balanced. Also, Andre is way too powerful for me. He can basically do almost everything he wants with no consequenes.))

((I'll leave the AAR for a while. The current situation is too unbalanced to be fun. I'll come back when the court is more balanced. Also, Andre is way too powerful for me. He can basically do almost everything he wants with no consequences.))

((Well, Andre is our sole clergyman. So he has to be the head of the inquisition. See his actions as those of the inquisition, and the church is very powerful indeed. The inquisition can do almost everything they want. We need more clergy. (I am highly unsuited for that.)
Besides, is it balanced if somebody appears out of nowhere and then throws around money at everything that moves?))

Reactions:
((Well, Andre is our sole clergyman. So he has to be the head of the inquisition. See his actions as those of the inquisition, and the church is very powerful indeed. The inquisition can do almost everything they want. We need more clergy. (I am highly unsuited for that.)
Besides, is it balanced if somebody appears out of nowhere and then throws around money at everything that moves?))
((There the people still have a choice. Andre can ruin people if they say something wrong and put most of their fun on a RNG roll.))

Last edited:
A letter to King Alfons VII

Your Majesty,
I do realize that you are mourning your father, but I would humbly ask to be appointed to the same positions as my father. Well maybe expect the position of admiral. I never was a man of war...
I hope for a good cooperation between TPTC and the Crown.
Auguste de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company

Xs93UHA.png

Very well. If you wish to serve us as a merchant and Grandmaster, so be it. ((I assume those are the positions you're talking about.))

- His Majesty, Alfons VII de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

"These trade companies are wealthy endeavors indeed but who do they assist? Your majesty or greedy commoners who run them? This Atlantic Trade Company has provided riches to the Kingdom but have they served you as their master? On the contrary they have served Ferdinant as their master. As we speak we have no Viceroy for Sanchonia which means the ATC are the masters of that great land. In fact the most recent counsel from your majesty's council to your father seemed to indicate from his announcements that there are nefarious forces at work so close to you. In my travels for your majesty's service I have interacted with similar councils but they differ in that one man acts as the pathway between the King and his council and that is a Lord Privy Seal...a man who carries the royal seal and acts as a true servant to the King as opposed to a servant to his own ambitions. Perhaps your majesty would receive assistance from such a position in his court? Such a position could assist your majesty in bringing these trade companies in line and ensuring that they answer to you as their master as opposed to common rabble."

((Are you asking to create a new council position? I'm not sure what exactly this role would do. Personally I'd prefer to see less council positions than more, since I have a hard enough time filling them as is.))

Your Majesty,

My sincerest condolences for the death of Your father. He has been a great and wise king, and I am confident that You will follow in his footsteps. Yet the times are ever-changing and new problems need the attention of the crown. All these will need to be dealt with. As such, I am offering to alleviate Your grief at least a bit by dealing with the financial situation as Treasurer. My experience in my duchy will certainly help my administration of the kingdom and give You one less thing to worry about so Your Majesty can concentrate on what needs Your attention.

Long live the king!

- François de Montségur, Duc de Trinacrie

Xs93UHA.png

We do have need of a treasurer, so we shall grant your request. Just ensure there is a large stipend available for miscellaneous expenses. It's always good to have a large supply of ducats on hand, just in case.

- His Majesty, Alfons VII de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Last edited:
Xs93UHA.png
Very well. If you wish to serve us as a merchant and Grandmaster, so be it. ((I assume those are the positions you're talking about.))

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Your Majesty,
Thank you for appointing me to those positions. ((Yes I only want Granmaster and merchant, (at least for now :p) )) As for my ministry plan it shall stay the same.
Auguste de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon