• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dauth

Wiki Mod
57 Badges
Jan 30, 2011
  • Major Wiki Contributor
Roughly 10% of the population is colourblind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness in one way or another, and the use of Red and Green as indicators is not optimal. For those with access to academic journals I recommend Ed Hawkins' paper in Nature http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v519/n7543/full/519291d.html. I suggest instead the use of a red-blue scale which hits none of the major colourblindness axes.

A fading to white between red and blue can also give gradients of how beneficial/harmful an effect could be. Many people can easily distinguish up to 10 steps in that range, but I'd suggest only using 5 since the aim is to make things easier.

Reactions:
I understand what you're saying, but I'd make it an option; most people are familiar with red-green indicators, but then if you are color blind you can enable an option to change it to red-blue indicators.

Reactions:
I certainly feel the games could do a bit more to be easily usable by colorblind people.
Either as an option or a global change. Several games have done the latter without problems, such as TF2 using red and blue for team colors rather than the more traditional red and green. As long as the games are consistent about it, a changed color scale should be pretty intuitive for both those who are and aren't color blind, while the current colors are nigh unreadable by colorblind people.

Reactions:
I understand what you're saying, but I'd make it an option; most people are familiar with red-green indicators, but then if you are color blind you can enable an option to change it to red-blue indicators.
When I played Pillars of Eternity I somehow had color-blind mode enabled without noticing. It didn't strike me as odd that things were red and blue until I noticed that all of the screenshots people were posting had red and green. Then I left it enabled because blue is better than green. :p

Reactions:
I'm not color blind and i frequently turn the option on anyway. Thing is, if it's going to be clear for someone with colorblindness, it's going to be clearer for those who do not. And i for one believe that clarity is awesome.

Also, here's a great site for getting those color palettes
http://colorbrewer2.org/

Reactions:
I agree, but think it should have an option for colorblind mode, so everyone is not forced to play on that mode.

Reactions:
It should definitely be an option if they do implement something like this, colour blind friendly colours can sometimes be a bit ugly for the non-colour blind (see CK2+).

Reactions:
As someone who is colourblind, I would prefer that instead of it being an option that a colour scheme that was clear to all users was the default and used as the design basis.

Other than te psychological attachment to red and green there is no real reason why a different colour palette could not be used.

Reactions:
I've left this alone to see what people felt after a week. I'd appreciate hearing input from the devs. With Stellaris coming along soon, a new interface would find the switch to a red-blue scheme less of a jolt than in the current games. Especially as blue tends to be associated with high-technology a lot it would merge well.

Part of the reason I made this thread was that Paradox surveyed about going into board games, something where the makers are already quite good about ensuring colourblind players can play (see ticket to ride for an excellent example).

Coming to think of it, there is probably a mod for this already. If not, then I don't imagine it to be too difficult to do.

Edit: After a very quick search I could not find one, but like I said, I do not think it would be hard to make a mod for it, which should be ironman mode comparable as it only changes the interface colours.

As a colourblind person, one of the things I have the most trouble with is the simple-terrain map-mode. IIRC, it was a bit easier to distinguish, but a couple patches ago the colours were changed to the point that I now find it impossible to distinguish between some of the colours, especially farmland vs plains.