• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trade Event: Abstain, but Francesco may still want to buy shares of the ATC

Colonial Region name: Sanchonia

Part 2 to the Final Effects of Juan de Soneta/ Pope Stephen
Inside the box, they were surprised. Taking pride of place were 2 wonderfully ornate silver candlesticks, a surprisingly lavish item for the humble man, the couple mused. As they rooted further in, they saw many different scarps of letters and diaries.

Here is a summary of some of what they found

The Confession journal "what is he hiding.... The king having an affair..... But maybe something else, he was suspecious of me when i enquired on such matters....... A man?? May the saviour have mercy on him, and accept him to the ripe bosum so great a man deserves"
"The child Ferran..... Deported, what madness.... Blast a failure.... And now the empire?? How bizarre"

The appointment of Mòdena as Vice Chancellor: ((hope this ok @Von Habsburg))

It was warm and blustery as both cardinal and pope met, but this didn't deter from their business. It was a joyful reunion, with much hugging, and an obviously less stressed Pope showing through. It didn't take much to sway Pope Stephen to appoint the cardinal to the revered position, he could do with more close friends in Rone around him...

A summation of the tour
- start in around lower italy, heading down to Palmero.
- short boat journey to Sardinia, appointing and greeting Módena
- continuing up to corscia before going across to aragon, prolonged stay
- goes into remaing castile and portugal, before leaving spain via Pirineo. Long sermons in Valencia and annoucment of canonization of Vascona in Pirineo.
- general meandering tour up through France, greeting its cardinals and warm chat to the King
- travels to England, warmly received, but no chance of diplomancy to insure peace between Aragon and England, travels to the family home in England, meeting distant cousins.
- Contracts illness on route to the "netherlands", attempts to rush to Aragon for aid and comfort, but illness strikes quick, Juan passes on, but not before organizing this box.[\SPOILER]

((Glad to see you returning to the clergy Andre. We have missed you in our shrunken ranks. Though De Vascona and my character's father did not always see eye to eye, I think our current characters match perfectly. Both are a bit unorthodox and passionate. Maybe we could take down Tuscany and restore the church?))

To "The Iron Bishop",

Congratulations on your upcoming appointment. I find myself in need of another strong clergyman to combat the subversion of heresy in Aragon. We must continue the sainted Cardinal De Vascona's work should we not? The Tuscan threat looms over the Vatican like the horsemen of the Apocalypse and France obviously has no interest in protecting the Holy Father. We the clergy of Aragon are the hope of the Papal States now. Your experience in battle and Input on such.....secular subjects will be appreciated and I expect you to participate in any inquisition tribunals that may arise in the future.

Your colleague,

Vice-Chancellor Raffaelo Módena, Royal Order of Light, Court Chaplain, Cardinal, primate of Sardina, Archbishop of Cagliari

To Vice Chancellor Raffaelo Modena,

Thank you for contacting me, my friend. It is an honor to hear from one so high in the mother church's ranks.

I am in complete agreement with your assessment. Prestige must be returned to the Church, through force of arms if necessary. Tuscany is a heretic state that must be punished for their actions. I will gladly lead an assault against their wicked condotierri myself. Those weak mercenaries cannot hope to hold against an army of the righteous.

I am sure Saint de Vascona would agree with our thoughts. Even though he was a man of peace he knew that decisive action must be taken against the Church's enemies.

God bless His Holiness and the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church

Your friend,

Bishop Carrano Velazquez

((@Andre Massena no blessing Pope Stephen??? I'm offended :p, just kidding but surprised you fidn't reference him, with him despising Tuscany, and being the first aragonese pope :p thought he could be an aspiration, such as St de Vascona))

((Private letter to Count di Arezzo ))
Dear Count Antonio di Arezzo,

How are thing going back in Seville and Aragon? The colony is doing incredibly incredibly well, however, it is not large enough to produce trade goods but we are working our way to that point ((please be naval supplies, please be naval supplies)). We may have had several accidents regarding local life, but we have cordoned off several islands expressly for living.

Miguel Villanova

*Miguel did not know what some of these words meant but they sounded good to him, having heard them from Castilians who were forcibly "evicted" from their homes in South America*

*He then spent the rest of the day figuring out how to keep the pigs from multiplying, he remembered bringing 4 and now there were 30 pigs, maybe he should just leave some on an empty island*
((Miguel may have just created a plague of pigs on a Falkland Island with that decision, but he wouldn't have known better, besides who doesn't like bacon))

Reactions:
((@Andre Massena no blessing Pope Stephen??? I'm offended :p, just kidding but surprised you fidn't reference him, with him despising Tuscany, and being the first aragonese pope :p thought he could be an aspiration, such as St de Vascona))

((It's not a snub, it's just that my guy would see De Vascona as a kind of mystical figure watching over their actions whereas Pope Stephen was a figure that the Iron Bishop had actually interacted with and even fought for against Tuscany.))

To Vice Chancellor Raffaelo Modena,

Thank you for contacting me, my friend. It is an honor to hear from one so high in the mother church's ranks.

I am in complete agreement with your assessment. Prestige must be returned to the Church, through force of arms if necessary. Tuscany is a heretic state that must be punished for their actions. I will gladly lead an assault against their wicked condotierri myself. Those weak mercenaries cannot hope to hold against an army of the righteous.

I am sure Saint de Vascona would agree with our thoughts. Even though he was a man of peace he knew that decisive action must be taken against the Church's enemies.

God bless His Holiness and the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church

Your friend,

Bishop Carrano Velazquez

((Private letter to Bishop Velazquez))

Dear friend,

Another concern of mine is the influence of burghers and the bank of Tuscany in Aragon. They see everything as either means for profit or obstructions to their endless greed. Though I have no particular quarrel with the TPTC, the ATC and bank of Tuscany definitely hurt Aragon more than help. We should work to bring these members of the court back into the ideals of the church. Maybe coauthor a law of tithes? Anyways, the foreign and domestic matters of Rome are in my hands as well as the spiritual well being of Aragon. I need all the help I can get with dealing with this sinful crowd of money mongering merchants.

Lumen te Lumine,

-Vice-Chancellor Raffaelo Módena, Court Chaplain of Aragon, Royal Order of Light

Reactions:
((Private letter to Bishop Velazquez))

Dear friend,

Another concern of mine is the influence of burghers and the bank of Tuscany in Aragon. They see everything as either means for profit or obstructions to their endless greed. Though I have no particular quarrel with the TPTC, the ATC and bank of Tuscany definitely hurt Aragon more than help. We should work to bring these members of the court back into the ideals of the church. Maybe coauthor a law of tithes? Anyways, the foreign and domestic matters of Rome are in my hands as well as the spiritual well being of Aragon. I need all the help I can get with dealing with this sinful crowd of money mongering merchants.

Lumen te Lumine,

-Vice-Chancellor Raffaelo Módena, Court Chaplain of Aragon, Royal Order of Light

((Private letter to Modena))

My compatriot, Cardinal Modena,

Indeed, Aragon has fallen under the sway of a greedy clique of merchants and ((insert certain religious group here)). We must advise the king to ignore the pleas of these charlatans. Trade is, of course, necessary but the moral fabric of the kingdom is slowly declining. Not long ago, Aragon was the holiest state in Christendom. Our soldiers reconquered Hispania from the Moors and destroyed the wicked Turks in a series of grand crusade. But now the only warriors left are soldiers of profit and corruption.

However, I believe there is a solution. Our new lands present a great opportunity for all of Christendom. Our narrow-minded merchants can only see these virgin lands for the profit and trade they can bring them. But what I see is an open land teeming with holy possibilities. There are thousands of savages who have not seen the light of the Lord. Perhaps we can expand the boundaries of Christendom thousands of miles west. The east may be closed to us but I believe the west is ready to hear the word of God and embrace the mother Church. Thus, I propose we finance an expedition for a team of strong, young priests to establish a foothold in the New World for the Church. May you bring up this idea with His Holiness?

God bless,

Bishop Velazquez

((Private))
Antonio was sitting in his study reading and answering letters. One of the letters was from Miguel Villanova who was colonizing the Falklands in his name. It has been a while since Antonio had last heard form this man. He had started to worry that entrusting an uneducated farmer to lead the colonization of the Falklands might have been a silly move. After reading the letter, Antonio's worries proved not to be true, that is if Miguel's word could be trusted. He took a moment and replied.

((Private letter to Miguel Villanova))
Miguel,
It is good to hear from you. Life in Sevilla is still spending. The city has developed well but there is trouble on the horizon. In a hasty move, Ferdinant II de Almeria who is the head of the ATC, has suggested a plan with the intention to turn Sevilla into the staple port for goods from the Americas. Ferdinant II has failed to gather enough support and now it looks like that his plan is going to weaken my county, unless a miracle happens and more people support Ferdinant II's plan. Could you reconsider your vote and help out the count who is financing your expedition?

Do not worry about the Falklands being too small to produce anything of value. The Falklands are in a strategic position which is the sole reason why I am financing this colony. Once the Falklands are a prosperous, self-sustaining colony, it can be used as base to further colonize the Americas.
Your work on the Falklands is greatly appreciated.

~ Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown, Viceroy of Brazil, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon

((For future reference, when people change their votes can they please also include what their old vote was. When we have multiple options it forces me to look up the old vote so I know what to deduct points from.))

((Edited the charter of the ATC.))

Ferdinant was home. It was happening. The birth of his first child. And it was a boy. Ferdinant, in a quick stroke of genius and originality, called his son Ferdinant.

A letter to all courtiers, nobles and clergy,

I want to inform all of you, I am a father now. I have gotten a son. He will be named Ferdinant, after his grandfather. I will be hosting a feast to celebrate the birth, at my villa in Sevilla. Everyone is welcomed.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria

((Ferdinant III's traits are in! They are Ambitious, charitable, nationalist and drug addict.))

Last edited:
((Hope I'm doing this right. Excited to jump in and not fall on my face too hard.))

Character Creation

Name: Diego de Bazan
Date of birth: December 1520
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Diego is the first son of Don Ignacio de Bazan, a noble lord in Vizcaya. As a son of privilege and wealth in the tiny coastal region Diego excelled in both fighting and love-making. His rakish sexual exploits might not have traveled the circles of the the King's court but they had certainly been whispered across the County much to his family's chagrin and sometimes embarrassment. In an effort to perhaps cool his son's desires and focus his attentions toward more worthwhile pursuits, Don Ignacio de Bazan sent his son to serve in the army with some healthy financial padding to ensure an appropriate commission of someone of his social status.

It was during this time that Diego was confronted for once with the cruel realities of the world and warfare as he served with distinction during the quelling of the Byzantine revolt. During this time he lost his right eye and it is rumored he continued to prowl the battlefield like a stung lion salivating for its prey. Diego's past misdemeanors and careless interpretation of christian values meant that he had already crossed the morality line once and in Byzantium he did so again with brutality and mercilessness.

He has now returned home to a dying father, a stable of three unmarried sisters (although the oldest will most certainly die a maid), one alleged bastard, and an eye-patch to cover the crude stitch job over his left eye with the scars of the original strike peaking out of the top and bottom of the patch. He is of low principles, low funds (thanks to his own squandering of his family's wealth), and low depth perception ((Had to drop one joke)). However he is certain that at the King's court there is a place for someone of his martial abilities, his noble lineage, his rather unique set of talents and skills, and with luck he can find a bride who will add some coin to his coffers and serve his own political pursuits. He is certainly a social being but friends are carefully warned of the storm constantly rolling behind those merry eyes.

After all...there's good reason he was known in Byzantium as the Vicar of Hell.

((Requesting Vizcaya but not expecting anything.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Private letter to Diego de Bazan @Lord Logsdon))

Dear Diego de Bazan,
As you know, there currently is a debate whether to make Sevilla the staple port for colonial goods from the Americas or not. As Count of Sevilla, I'd like to invite you to the city so that I may go over the advantages with you. The plan was proposed by the Atlantic Trading Company.
I am looking forward to seeing you in Sevilla.
((Antonio is asking you to support the plan to make Sevilla the staple port in case that wasn't clear :) ))

Regards,
~Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown, Viceroy of Brazil, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon

Last edited:
((I'm just going to leave Ferdinand where he is now, he'll eventually die there. :p))

((Character Data...
Name: Wolfgang Oliver Lübecker (that's Ferdinand's brother)
Date of birth: 3-8-1489
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic
Bio: I still suck at these :p
))
Your Majesty,

It is about time I introduced myself. I am the brother of one of the great explorers you sent out a few years ago on the circumnavigation of the world, yet I still have not heard from him for a long time. So I presume him dead. I would like to fill his position in the court.

However, instead of pursuing the seas like my father and brother, I would rather fight on the land. That is why I request to serve Aragon (and by extent Your Majesty) as a general. ((Focus: Fire)) I may be new to the court, but I am no stranger to strategy and battle.

With Regards,

Wolfgang Oliver Lübecker
((*gulp*))

((Private Letter to Antonio di Arezzo @delpiero1234))

To His Highness The Count of Sevilla,

Your lordship does me great honor in inviting me to your lands and I graciously accept the invitation and will begin travel arrangements shortly. As a man of such stature and of good repute in the court of His Majesty the King I am sure your words carry great weight in His Majesty's court. I would greatly appreciate your lordship interceding on my behalf as someone with a valid claim on the County of Vizcaya as well as appointment to a position in which my talents could be of best use to our great Kingdom. Perhaps his lordship has use of me in his own endeavors of governing the New World? I will be travelling to court first before making my way to Sevilla should your lordship wish to reach me there.

Sincerely,
Don Diego de Bazan

Diego carefully sealed the letter with his family's crest pressed into the molten wax and handed it off to be delivered immediately. He groaned slightly and reached for the bottle of wine for it made sense that what caused this stupor in the morning must certainly be cured the same way. As he stood he moved towards the window of the room in his family's estate house. It was a prominent building but nothing like the palaces of Valencia. The female body resting in his bed shifted briefly and drew his attention. He picked up his sword and with the tip of it lifted the sheets before gently poking the woman which shot her out of bed with the abruptness of water being tossed on a cat. He smirked.

"I am sure your husband is on his way back home today so I suggest you grab your things and leave. I have business to attend to and I am not planning on delaying it to deal with a bereaved cuckold."

Once those matters were settled he called his horse to be readied and he left, riding towards the King's Court to hopefully be introduced that esteemed body full of promise and intrigue.

((Diego's vote will be held during this quid pro quo negotiation with Antonio))

Reactions:
Ferdinant has a terrible headache. Has to be from the stress. The vote to see if Aragon will focus on the New, or Old world will end in a couple of hours. He has prepared himself to be able to leave Sevilla at a moments notice. Antonio would not be happy if the vote went wrong. If he stays when it fails, the headache will end. Because he will not have a head.

((Private to Diego de Bazan @Lord Logsdon ))

Dear Don de Bazan,
Thank you for travelling to Sevilla. Of course, I will support your claim to the County of Vizcaya by sending a letter to the Crown. Vizcaya should be ruled by your family.
I'm very much looking forward to meeting you in Sevilla. I am afraid that I cannot make it to capital at the moment. The citizens of Sevilla need me now more than ever. I can't stress how important it is that you cast your vote on this important matter.
Regarding your request of serving in Aragon's colonial overseas territory, I'll consult with the Crown after it has been decided whether Sevilla will be designated as staple port for colonial goods form the Americas or not. Loyalty will be rewarded - that's for sure.

~ Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown, Viceroy of Brazil, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Arezzo
((Don't forget to vote though before Michaelangelo announces the results which should be soon))

((Private letter to the Crown @Michaelangelo ))

Your Majesty,

May I like to point out that the County of Vizcaya is not in the best of state currently. Therefore, I suggest that you appoint Don de Bazan as new Count of Vizcaya. His family has a rightful claim on the county and I believe that Don de Bazan is the right man to improve the situation in Vizcaya.

Your humble subject,
Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown, Viceroy of Brazil, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Arezzo

Ferdinant still had some business with Antonio. They would meet at Antonio's villa. Ferdinant had a big bag of gold with him. The money they would receive from the ATC and the payment of his debts to the Bank of Tuscany. He also took his sword with him. Sevilla was a beautiful city, but everyone would grab the chance to get a big bag o' gold. When he walked through the city towards the villa, he found some Flemish and Dutch merchants talking. He could only hear: Voor Nederland! Brabant zal de mensen van de Nederlanden unificeren! Ferdinant finally arrived at the villa of Antonio. Antonio told him a nobleman from Viscaya would arrive soon...

((2 Hours to go...))

Last edited: