• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know if "The Cossacks" is a good name anymore what with all the big changes 1.14 brings to the table.
I mean "Art of War" was a big and good powerful name for 1.8.

If we can't rename it to "Art of Diplomacy" can we at least rename it to "Art of Cossacks"? ;)

EDIT: Relax folks, the post is meant as a joke [you didn't realize it from "Art of Cossacks"?].

Last edited:
Reactions:
How will multiple ZoC affect provinces in convoluted wars like the Religious Leagues? I assume we need to clear all forts that exert control to be able to pass through the province?

Reactions:
I really don't like the precedent that this sets. Putting balance changes behind paywalls, even ones that add new actions, just seems a bit off.
its a new feature so i dont see the problem
if you dont buy the add on nothing changes from now so its not in anything bad for you then

Reactions:
I'm a little concerned that Espionage is still not that useful to take. The 2 technology difference basically means I wouldn't take it if I have western, eastern, or Ottoman tech. The agitate for liberty is pretty neat.

The problem is that I always have the feeling that the Espionage ideas and features should be available to every country but at a gold or monarch points cost. I should be able to get specific information that I can't even get from the ledger from Espionage idea group.

I wish there was a special CB you could get from Espionage group called something like "Nation breaker" where it doesn't cost diplomatic points to release vassals and nations.

Either way, my response is meh on the changes. It isn't enough to make me want to take it now as a European. I'd rather see a comprehensive espionage DLC or expansion that significantly adds/reworks spying and using diplomatic influence to bring down other empires.

I like the other changes though and very glad to see them.

BTW, Wiz, how do you make it so that I can see the province number like you have in that screenshot?

Reactions:
Will the UI mention somewhere that you might not be getting any effect from the new spy actions? Like if you already have a diplomat getting you all the points you can, will the game let you know that sending one to another country won't have any effect?

Reactions:
Reactions:
darianstarfire: In general the entire espionage system should be more widespread in parts, I agree. However, just limiting it to money would give rich nations a huge advantage again.

Reactions:
I really don't like the precedent that this sets. Putting balance changes behind paywalls, even ones that add new actions, just seems a bit off.
But this is how all expansions for all games have ever worked. The only thing P-dox is doing diffenently is that they also give you some of the content for free.

Reactions:
Every gameplay DLC has balance changes over and above the impact of the associated free patch.

Transfer Occupation (AoW) is a balance change. Subject Interactions (CS) are a balance change. Protestant Church Aspects (CS) are a balance change. Support Independence (CoP / ElD) is a balance change. National Focus (RP/CS) is a balance change. Paying monarch power to develop provinces (CS) is a balance change.

Reactions:
Actually, even as Western you would be able to use it if you rush an idea group and go behind in the relevant tech. Also, Italians will be great mana-sources.

Reactions:
Some nice changes there, especially spoils and fort changes.

About espionage, these are new shiny tools but it won't save bad idea group by itself. Some things are just wrong there. And people without expansion will feel alienated if espionage is not overall improved:

Some things still wrong imo:

- defensive espionage needs to become important: its alsmost completely useless atm - 20% bonus fighting rebels would be quite a good boost. Or better rebel supression in your own country; revolt risk for example is great modifier that could be added here

- −33% Covert action relation impact - that does this even do ?!

- support rebels is mostly useless action: almost always ineffective and too expensive - 50% end group bonus does little to change this

- sabotage reputation -50 - looks good on paper but this doesn't really mean anything in game: countries either don't care about each other, or they hate themselves; or if they are allies and you want to break alliance - then they can usually easily improve to +150 +200 relations and these -50 is worth nothing. There's like 0.01% chance to make this action actually good. You may teeze maybe HRE emperor a bit and thats it.

-good stuff in espionage group: offensive espionage is useful, + diplomat also, Sow discontent seems ok, as well as embargo/privaterr efficience - don't ruin these please

Reactions:
*cough* Transfer occupation *cough* National focus *cough* Abandon idea group *cough* Support independence *cough*

Do I need to continue?

Reactions:
I'm a little concerned that Espionage is still not that useful to take. The 2 technology difference basically means I wouldn't take it if I have western, eastern, or Ottoman tech. The agitate for liberty is pretty neat.
I should be able to get specific information that I can't even get from the ledger from Espionage idea group.

Espionage is more suitable for MP games where you don't have access to the ledger.
Doesn't make much sense in SP if you don't disable it.

Reactions:
Some how I knew permanent/strong claims would have a blue outline...
Will they appear with blue diagonal lines in diplomatic mapmode?

I'm curious about the interaction between permanent claims and cores. If I form Great Britain as England, then presumably I have a permanent claim on Cornwall (assuming I don't already own the province). But what if I core Cornwall, and then lose it later? Do I lose all claims to the province after X years, or does a permanent claim survive, like it would if I didn't own it in the first place?