• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes)

Senator Andronikos Ouranos (White Demes) :

*Andronikos reads the letter sent to him with great attention, nodding to himself for self-confidence, he heads off to find Decius. Once there, he bows his head in respect to the man*

"Senator, I present myself to you as a loyal Demes member. My grandfather only spoke of the highest virtues in your regard, and assured me that you of all Senators here is the most trustworthy. You have called for me, and I come here to you to offer whatever help my grandfather would of gratefully given."

Welcome Senator Ouranos. I hate to barge in on you and I severely hope that your grandfather told you about the special meeting during the last senate session. We are basically trying to find out how we can best advance our own position in regards to the dynatoi houses Komnenos and Dalassenos without getting destroyed in the process. Do not worry - you can freely talk among this "inner circle" of the white demes. We are friends, and there are no secrets or animosities between us.

*Decius also fills Andronikos in on the things that have been said so far*

Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos (White Demes)

The best option would probably to bring both families down some notches, but I have no idea how we could achieve this within a realistic time frame. It would probably the best option to throw in our lot with the Dalassenoi. I have no love for this people, but at least Dalassenos had shown the willingness to work with us, although I have no doubt that he would sacrifice the whole Senate on a whim, if he sees an advantage in it. The Komenoi on the other hand have shown nothing but contempt for the senate. But if it's true that they want to forward the cause of the Angeloduli, they pose a huge threat to the Imperium and can muster a considerable power.

*Lazaros mutters something to himself before continuing.*

I think the Dalassenoi are our best chance, but one thing should be clear: If we commit to play in the game of the great houses, we need to see it through to the end. If we play our cards right, we can enhance our power considerably, as individual houses as well as the senate as a whole, but if we play it wrong, we can loose everything as well.

That's a fair point. I don't see myself supporting the Komnenoi if they back up the book-burners. If the Dalassenoi are our best shot at getting rid of them, I would gladly support them, personal preferences cast aside. Do you think neutrality would be an option? I don't think that the Dalassenoi would let this happen. Since I was able to take quite a bit out of our relation with the megas domestikos so far, we might not have another chance than to go with it, if we want to have a say on the proceedings. And nothing is worse than just watching history unfold as a bystander when you are a member of the Imperial Senate.

Senator Marius Serapis of the White Demes

"In truth, I believe Hierusalem is just as threatened as Roma." He shrugs, "We do have a little house on Cyprus and the Monastery has scattered real-estate in many parts of the Imperium, but nothing spacious or protected enough to house a proper library. I'm afraid we've put more effort into aquiring land than fortifying it. I am glad you've found another location for your library."

--

"I am not sure any of the Dynatoi are supporting Sophia. Considering her stance on noble privilige and social equality supporting her would seem rather foolish. They would be playing with a force they could never hope to control, and once she was strong enough she could easily turn on them as well. The Komnenoi could perhaps be deluded by their pride and ambition, but they are also the ones with the most to lose. The Dalassenos are in a weaker position to exploit the chaos she creates and have less ability to defend themselves from the consequences of betrayal, but because of their relative weakness they are a better partner for us and have already proven some good faith as an ally."

"True neutrality is not a good option, but perhaps opportunism would serve us better. We can not trust any of the Dynatoi in the long term, but perhaps work with them when our interests align."

Senator Petrus Wedrovander(Red Demes):

*Petrus nods to Leon Taurinas and his trust in him.*

"Thank you Leon I hope to meet you more often as soon as more of this chaos dies down. At least to visit the family in law my dear wife has been pining for returning home but all reports indicate that it is more dangerous than living near the sulfur mines of Sicily. If it gets too much worse you and yours are welcome to join us. Admittedly we are temporarily lodged in our ships but together in numbers is better than apart in these times. If you need ships just say the word and we will loan a few after all you have done well in keeping with the last one," Petrus droned. "I will try to find you again later I have a suggestion that you must hear." He said again to Leon. Petrus then left alone headed straight to the food and began to consume but ignored any offer of wine. He eventually ends up with the large group of Reds.

Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

*Philaretos thinks to himself as he sees Pylaeus walk away*

That was productive. This may prove to be a very beneficial relationship. Perhaps one of my sons, either Demetrios or Alexandros would like to pursue a scholarly path. Pylaeus's library would prove helpful for their education. When they are older, of course. Need to ensure their convictions before I send them to another house for an extended period.

*He turns to the largest group of Reds*

It would be a shame if I spent all my time with a White and none with my "brothers". I should see what they are up to...

*Philaretos approaches the Reds*

Greetings friends, what did you think about this meeting?

"Oh hello Senator Philaretos I must admit I feel like the whole business has been nothing but a farce. I don't see anything on this list that will solve the root of the problem we face. The true problem is that the Imperium looks to be a version that it was nearly 1100 years ago when rot set in and the entire thing collapsed. The peasants think we're weak and honestly the continued presence of the 20,000 men in this very city confirm that weakness. I believe that the army ought to be fighting the rebels and proving our superiority. Yet they sit here still. What is your opinion on the our largest force continued presence?"

"In truth, I believe Hierusalem is just as threatened as Roma." He shrugs, "We do have a little house on Cyprus and the Monastery has scattered real-estate in many parts of the Imperium, but nothing spacious or protected enough to house a proper library. I'm afraid we've put more effort into aquiring land than fortifying it. I am glad you've found another location for your library."

--

"I am not sure any of the Dynatoi are supporting Sophia. Considering her stance on noble privilige and social equality supporting her would seem rather foolish. They would be playing with a force they could never hope to control, and once she was strong enough she could easily turn on them as well. The Komnenoi could perhaps be deluded by their pride and ambition, but they are also the ones with the most to lose. The Dalassenos are in a weaker position to exploit the chaos she creates and have less ability to defend themselves from the consequences of betrayal, but because of their relative weakness they are a better partner for us and have already proven some good faith as an ally."

"True neutrality is not a good option, but perhaps opportunism would serve us better. We can not trust any of the Dynatoi in the long term, but perhaps work with them when our interests align."

An opportunistic approach is the only one we can go for, if we hope to rise up for the good of the Imperium. Can we reach a consensus on supporting the Dalassenoi? If we do, I'd like to talk to the rest of the demes about it while some of you might want to try and convince the unaffiliated, as their number has grown again. And we need every vote on this if we want to achieve a result that would be most surprising for our new President.

Senator Banoub ibn Mahdi Rashid (Unaffiliated):
*After hearing Muzaka's remark, Banoub smiles and pulls him out of the conversation.*
Senator Theon Muzaka (unaffiliated):
"Senators, if you forgive my cutting in" - he bows stiffly - "I find myself agreeing with that last comment. I have seen how things are in Smyrna and it's surroundings, and was... impressed. Administration and economy are outside my own area of expertise, but even to untrained eye, it is clear that things are well there. People have hope, they have order. When senator... Habsburg? spoke of this in Hall, I both agreed and disagreed with him. I too think that Angelodouloi are not just an another problem, they can be resource as well. And Imperium needs all resources it can have."

"It is good to see that another senator does not dismiss these misguided peasants as a potential force for good. I am a firm believer in the idea of flexibility in tough situations. After all, a strong bolt of Serican silk does not break to the mightiest sword blow if allowed to hang loose.

Your house is based in the east of the Imperium, in al-Mashriq, is it not? My family has lived in Rosetta for many years, and has seen its' fortunes rise and fall. Just ten years ago, it was on the brink of collapse, but at least now the system I have set up works."

Senator Nikephoros II Salamis (Blue Demes):
*Nikephoros nods, leaving Decius to his suitors, and walks towards Senator Colombo, hoping Senator Raoul will be freed soon*
Speaker Colombo! Long time no met. *He sniffs around and smiles at Senator Jakov.* Nice... barbecue you have here. You are the speaker of our Demes, perhaps you will know... *Nikephoros looks around theatrically.* Where are our esteemed fellows of the Blue Demes? It seems to me only wise Senator Arrius and ourselves are present today...

Senator Alexius Colombo (Blue Demes Speaker):

*Colombo manages to get a few words off before Nikephorus scampers off.*

"Some of them are just being quiet, I assume. Considering all this malarkey about hanging Arrius, I'm not surprised similarly minded Senators are laying low. Before you run off, I'd like to ask you to support my efforts to get as fair a synod as possible."

{{ Okay, here's what I have gathered regarding the Great Houses and the Angelodouli. I've bolded the things that the Senators could know, and not the stuff they could have no idea of (thoughts)

The Konmenos are against the Angelodouli, and the Dalassenos are "supporting" them. Why?:
The President of the Senate (Konmenos) almost called Sophia a heretic at the beginning of the session
The President of the Senate (Konmenos) has been internally thinking about how the Senators do not understand just how great a power backs the Angelodouli.
The previous Senate President (Dalassenos) went into a rage when some poor bastard called Sophia a heretic last session

Now, I could be totally wrong, but this is what it looks like from my POV. I doubt the Dalassenos actually support the.. ethos of the Angelodouli, but are instead using them for their nefarious goals. Of course, the Angelodouli could get out of hand once they taste power...

and blood.}}

An opportunistic approach is the only one we can go for, if we hope to rise up for the good of the Imperium. Can we reach a consensus on supporting the Dalassenoi? If we do, I'd like to talk to the rest of the demes about it while some of you might want to try and convince the unaffiliated, as their number has grown again. And we need every vote on this if we want to achieve a result that would be most surprising for our new President.

Marius nods, "But what exactly would that vote be? It seems we are all in favour of calling a synod, as the Dalassenos prefer, but I would also advocate following that synod with a trial, which is the stance of the Komnenoi. We could be pleasing or angering both houses with that choice, but it is probably the best and most just way for the empire to handle the situation."

{{If the Dalassenoi are using the fanatic Angelodulids they are probably in for some trouble...
2mrbfuu.jpg

}}

Reactions:
Senator Petrus Wedrovander(Red Demes):
"Oh hello Senator Philaretos I must admit I feel like the whole business has been nothing but a farce. I don't see anything on this list that will solve the root of the problem we face. The true problem is that the Imperium looks to be a version that it was nearly 1100 years ago when rot set in and the entire thing collapsed. The peasants think we're weak and honestly the continued presence of the 20,000 men in this very city confirm that weakness. I believe that the army ought to be fighting the rebels and proving our superiority. Yet they sit here still. What is your opinion on the our largest force continued presence?"

Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

The goals of the Army are to protect the Imperium from threats within and without.We have been plagued with the former in recent times. If we can solve the issue of rebellion here, we can focus on other matters, like the continued reconquest of Hispania for the Imperium. The decisions we make today may influence the course of this rebellion. I fear that I must disagree with your opinion that this business is worthless of our time. But perhaps you are right, we need a change to bring the Imperium back to glory.

Anyways, loyal men are in short supply and having a great force in a secured area is counterproductive to the destruction of the rebels. Perhaps in a few more years when this bankruptcy is a forgotten ill, we can strike out at them. Perhaps this is a shortcoming of our esteemed Megas Domestikos. There is one thing to consider though, these Angelodouloi couldn't have gained the ground they have, especially in Aegyptus, without aid from one of the great dynatoi houses. The primary agents for this would be the Dalessenoi and the Komnenoi. Personally, I find the support of the Dalessenoi of a synod with the Lightbringer present and the failures of the Black Tagma under orders from the Megas Domestikos to be most suspicious. What say you my fellow Reds?

Marius nods, "But what exactly would that vote be? It seems we are all in favour of calling a synod, as the Dalassenos prefer, but I would also advocate following that synod with a trial, which is the stance of the Komnenoi. We could be pleasing or angering both houses with that choice, but it is probably the best and most just way for the empire to handle the situation."

The vote regards the vote of confidence for the megas domestikos and the mourning of the last patriarch of Constantinople that was added to the bill by the President.

Our views regarding the synod and the trial are probably too different so that we cannot all agree on one set of actions, which is why I am against trying to force a decision. I just want us all to support the Dalassenoi in the voting. Can we do this? Can we convince the majority of the Senate, so that the mighty Komnenoi may learn a lesson about a self-conscious senate whose power is rising while the dynatoi fight among themselves?

I agree on supporting the Dalassenoi, since I also don't see neutrality as a real option. We would gain nothing from it but stand to still lose. I would be careful with opportunism thought. Will quick thinking and choosing the best path are important, we still might have and advantage if we present ourselves as reliable partners. In particular if we take care that this fact will be wildly known. Not all gains are material, a right reputation can lead one fare as well.

"Who wouldn't express their sadness at the loss of our holy patriarch, or express their support for our loyal armies and their leading commander? I can certainly support both those bills, as any good roman should." He says gravely, with humour sparkling in his eyes. "The Komnenoi would percieve the slight, but even they would say the same in public. If we did not the Dalassenos would take it as a far greater insult."

Senator Magnus Arrius (Blue Demes):

*Magnus approaches the Speaker of the White Demes, wishing to discuss Sophia.*
"Senator Pylaeus, you lead the White Demes, the faction most intertwined with the Church. I would love to discuss Lady Sophia's future with you."

{{@ThetrueColt}}

Senator Theon Muzaka (unaffiliated):

Thankful for Rashid providing quick way out of conversation, Muzaka allows himself to be led off.
Senator Banoub ibn Mahdi Rashid (Unaffiliated):
"It is good to see that another senator does not dismiss these misguided peasants as a potential force for good. I am a firm believer in the idea of flexibility in tough situations. After all, a strong bolt of Serican silk does not break to the mightiest sword blow if allowed to hang loose.

Your house is based in the east of the Imperium, in al-Mashriq, is it not? My family has lived in Rosetta for many years, and has seen its' fortunes rise and fall. Just ten years ago, it was on the brink of collapse, but at least now the system I have set up works."

"Indeed. Common followers of Angelina are not enemies, at least not yet. They are, as I see it, victims in a sense. Many people in Smyrna were refugees in plight, fleeing Plague and revolts elsewhere in the Imperium. They wanted answers, help, and a Saviour. She gave them that. If, and when, Imperium once again can provide stability, I am sure many of her followers in Anatolia.." He glances at Rashid, shakes his head and sips wine.

"I'm sorry, I digress. As for your question, sadly, you are mistaken. Lands of my family lie in the western Graecia."

{{ As per the request: }}

hcNJDZ5.jpg

Reactions:
{{So we can safely increase the tariffs without issue. Good to hear 5% increase would be 4.9 ducat/month to about 6.5 ducat/month. Are we bound to only one 5% increase or can we do more?}}

*To Melissenos, Ouranos and Serapis*

This settles it then. Senator Ouranos, please feel free to approach me if you have further questions. This will be all for now. You can either try to convince the unaffiliated or stay with me as I talk to the rest of us.

*With that, their conspiratory circle disbands, and Decius is approached by Senator Arrius.*

Senator Magnus Arrius (Blue Demes):

*Magnus approaches the Speaker of the White Demes, wishing to discuss Sophia.*
"Senator Pylaeus, you lead the White Demes, the faction most intertwined with the Church. I would love to discuss Lady Sophia's future with you."

{{@ThetrueColt}}

Why hello there, Senator Arrius. I am not sure if I have much time to discuss this with you right now, but I'll try to give you a little space. I believe I have already expressed my stance on Sophia Angelos during the debate - is there anything specific you want to talk about?

*While listening to Senator Arrius, Decius writes up another set of letters and sees them delivered as soon as possible.*

My esteemed colleagues of the white demes,

I'd like to talk to you about a topic where our faction should act most united and convincingly.

Please meet me as soon as you can.

Signed,

Decius Pylaeus

{{Please don't waste all the paper mana on insignificant stuff. Did you take a look at our stabilty?}}

{{ I have only 50 ADM at the moment, so it would be one-off increase. }}

...one thing should be clear: If we commit to play in the game of the great houses, we need to see it through to the end. If we play our cards right, we can enhance our power considerably, as individual houses as well as the senate as a whole, but if we play it wrong, we can loose everything as well.
121195-Littlefinger-cheers-gif-Imgur-uKnT.gif

Reactions:
Dekarchos of the Imperial Senate Guard:

Suddenly dekarchos of the Imperial Senate Guard accompanied by two guardsmen, each wearing ceremonial armor and with long spear in his hand, enters the peristyle. He stops for a moment and then, with his eyes fixed on senator Alexios Este-Ravenna, the man approaches him quickly. He stops several paces from the senator and extends his right arm in salute.

- Salve, illustrious Vice President. His Excellency the President of the Imperial Senate wishes to speak with you. May I escort you to Magnaura?

You notice that dekarchos holds the hilt of the xiphos sword in his left hand.

{{ @Undead Martyr }}

Dekarchos of the Imperial Senate Guard:

Suddenly dekarchos of the Imperial Senate Guard accompanied by two guardsmen, each wearing ceremonial armor and with long spear in his hand, enters the peristyle. He stops for a moment and then, with his eyes fixed on senator Alexios Este-Ravenna, the man approaches him quickly. He stops several paces from the senator and extends his right arm in salute.

- Salve, illustrious Vice President. His Excellency the President of the Imperial Senate wishes to speak with you. May I escort you to Magnaura?

You notice that dekarchos holds the hilt of the xiphos sword in his left hand.

{{ @Undead Martyr }}

{{And who are you the proud lord said, that I must bow so low.....}}

Reactions: