• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes):

*Belissarios acquires a quill, ink, and paper and drafts a letter.*

Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos,

You have been supportive of my views since the beginning of the Senate, and I to yours, and to that I am grateful. But that is not why I write. You see, my family's numbers have dwindled at an alarming rate ever since the Plague began all those many years ago, and me and my brother are looking, well, for people to help continue the Leonidos line.

I have heard of marraige arrangements being made in the Senate before, so I wish to inquire about whether there are any young, marraigable women in your family that you could arrange a marraige with me and my brother.

*He then calls for an eunuch to deliver the letter to Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos.*

{{@BanishTheSpleen I don't believe you're at authority to vote in this... Also it's a bit late for that.}}

Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

*Philaretos breathes out a sigh of relief. The rambling of apologists and heretics were beginning to grate on him. It was a matter of time before he felt forced to take action*

Well then, time to seek refuge in allies. *He glances to the Reds* No, not them. Who will I approach?

*His wandering gaze falls on Speaker Pylaeus*

Ah, he supported me. Perhaps him.

*He approaches Pylaeus*

Greetings valued Speaker of the Whites. May I have a word with you in private?

{{ @ThetrueColt }}

Last edited:
Senator David Ignacion(Unaffiliated):

Breathing a sigh of relief, David retreats to the peristyle. He resigns himself to a glass of wine, staring at a fine plant in a corner to ponder the debates of his fellow senators or all affiliations.

Senator Magnus Arrius (Blue Demes):

*Magnus approaches Senator Colombo, wishing to speak with his supposed friend.*
"Well Alexius. It seems we need to talk about Lady Sophia. What strategy do you have in mind? I hope you realize I will do all I can to stop her from being dragged here in disgrace."

{{ @luciusmalfoy012 Let's get scheming! :D}}

Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

*Having sat in silence to watch the arguments among the senators, Leon gets up at the news of the recess and surveys the room.
He eyes Mandromenos
wairly, at least the man is not mad like his predecessor was, but he still has his doubts about him. Seeing Senator Wedrovander arrive he smiles and goes to greet the man.*
"Hail Petrus Wedrovander, I am happy you could make it to the senate at this critical time ."

*Because they are no longer in the large group of senators, and because of the close ties between the two houses, Leon removes his mask for the first time while in the senate hall. Leon's face has the hard look of the severe man who has spent most of his life trying to keep order in a province overrun with barbarians. Across the right side of his face runs a jagged scar from one of his battles, yet his expresion towards Petrus is friendly enough.*
"I still mourn the death of your uncle, he was a good man and the senate is all the poorer without him. But you do me a great honor as in law and I am happy to have you with us in these dark days.

*He looks around as the other Reds start to gather*
"Now, we must assemble the Reds so that we can protect the Imperium from the plots of fools and madmen who would bring more harm than good."

Senator Alexios von Hohenzollern (unaffiliated):
Alexios quietly listens to what the other senators have to say about the heresy.

Senator Markus von Habsburg (still unaffiliated):

"My fellow Senators, first of all let me say that it is a great pleasure to be back in the City, even after... well, you know. But a city is just like an army, it requires discipline and a firm hand to direct, ja. As for the topic at hand, you have all made some valid points - yet I think there is a better way to look at it. We regard it as a problem to be solved, but why not as an opportunity to be taken advantage of? The Lady Angelos has amassed a large number of syncophants and malcontents in her private army, ja. An army which can be a threat to the Reich and the Holy Kaiser - but just as well to the Kaiser's enemies! If we call the Synod and challenge her to battle the abhorrent Xenoi and their ilk, we can only win. Either she loses and her heresy is discredited, or she wins a victory for the Reich without any effort or expenditure on our side. The scholars can then clarify the finer points of the faith, but a free fighting force should never be given to our enemies when we can take it for the Reich."

To the Habsburg, he says, "I recall you mentioned something about there being no drawback to sending Lady Sophia and her followers into battle against the Xenoi and/or the Horde. I see nothing wrong with your idea, but what if they do win? Would that not strengthen the credibility of her and her followers' beliefs? Would that not make these Angeloduloi gain more legitimacy, as they had defeated the enemies of the Imperium after all that we had gone through in these last few years? And how, then would we be able to deal with them after that occurs?"

Senator Banoub ibn Mahdi Rashid (Unaffiliated):
Alexios quietly listens to what the other senators have to say about the heresy.
To the Habsburg, he says, "I recall you mentioned something about there being no drawback to sending Lady Sophia and her followers into battle against the Xenoi and/or the Horde. I see nothing wrong with your idea, but what if they do win? Would that not strengthen the credibility of her and her followers' beliefs? Would that not make these Angeloduloi gain more legitimacy, as they had defeated the enemies of the Imperium after all that we had gone through in these last few years? And how, then would we be able to deal with them after that occurs?"

*Banoub is looking over maps of Aegyptuys and the details of the heavily decimated trade through Rosetta, idly listening to the conversation of the senators. Upon hearing von Hapsburg's proposition and von Hohenzollern's remark, he sidles over in his shifty way to share his take on the issue.*

"While I do agree with Senator von Hohenzollern that no heretic should ever be given weapons and enlisted by the Imperium, von Hapsburg has a point: perhaps these heretics can be used for good. Instead of a militant fighting force, however, we should harness Sophia's considerable talent for inspiration and turn it to the situation of our economy and the stability of the Imperium.
We could use these people to resettle farms and create enough wealth to pump air into the life-fire of the Inperium."

Senator Theon Muzaka (unaffiliated):

Aimlessly, Theon wanders around peristyle, finally approaching table and taking a goblet of wine. As he resumes his walk, holding drink close his face and enjoying it's aromic smell, three other unaffiliated catch his attention - too late, as he already has walked rather close. However, his wariness loosens after hearing what Rashid is saying.
Senator Banoub ibn Mahdi Rashid (Unaffiliated):

"While I do agree with Senator von Hohenzollern that no heretic should ever be given weapons and enlisted by the Imperium, von Hapsburg has a point: perhaps these heretics can be used for good. Instead of a militant fighting force, however, we should harness Sophia's considerable talent for inspiration and turn it to the situation of our economy and the stability of the Imperium.
We could use these people to resettle farms and create enough wealth to pump air into the life-fire of the Inperium."

"Senators, if you forgive my cutting in" - he bows stiffly - "I find myself agreeing with that last comment. I have seen how things are in Smyrna and it's surroundings, and was... impressed. Administration and economy are outside my own area of expertise, but even to untrained eye, it is clear that things are well there. People have hope, they have order. When senator... Habsburg? spoke of this in Hall, I both agreed and disagreed with him. I too think that Angelodouloi are not just an another problem, they can be resource as well. And Imperium needs all resources it can have."

Last edited:
{{Too much H-word, don't want us to rile MachTwelve up any more than we already have.}}

Reactions:
Senator Flavius Lucius Mojmirid (Red Dems)

*For a while Flavius merely sits on a bench. Even after most of the senators converse among themselves to discuss what to do about the heretic princess. Although food is laid out, he can't bring himself to eat. Too many questions race in his head, above all other stands one, why the Red Dems? Why among all the parties were they chosen by the President to hold office of vice president. Rising slowly from the bench, Flavius walks over to the table and picks up an apple. Returning to his seat, Flavius bows his head and begins to think. After a good five minutes Flavius rises from his repose, and signals for a slave. Writing a short, and carefully worded letter, he hands it to the slave.* "Deliver this to Vice President Senator Alexios Este-Ravenna. Tell him that I know." *After handing the letter to the slave, Flavius rises from the bench and silently walks over to an empty corner of the gardens. Now, Flavius thought to himself, we will see who the better chess master is.*

Dear Senator Ravenna,
I do hope this message finds you well. I do hope we can speak openly about the prior seasons grain shipments, or lack there of. I shall be awaiting your personal response.
Sincerely,
Senator Flavius Lucius Mojmirid

Senator Magnus Arrius (Blue Demes):

*Magnus approaches Senator Colombo, wishing to speak with his supposed friend.*
"Well Alexius. It seems we need to talk about Lady Sophia. What strategy do you have in mind? I hope you realize I will do all I can to stop her from being dragged here in disgrace."

{{ @luciusmalfoy012 Let's get scheming! :D}}

Senator Alexius Colombo (Blue Demes Speaker):

*Alexius turns to Arrius first. Work before play, after all.*

"I fear the dragging may be impossible to stop at this point. But Sophia has powerful friends in the city... If we can get her safe passage here and public access through a synod, this power can be brought to bear.

Once she is in the city, there can only be positive outcomes.

1. She is able to convince the synod, or at lest convince the people of Constantinople to convince the synod. The authority of the wicked church is destroyed, and Sophia's stronger

2. She is martyred, like Jesus before her. You know of the teachings, of the irrelevancy of the corporeal form. She will not hesitate to sacrifice herself. And the people of the Imperium will follow her example...

As such, we must take a two pronged approach. We must strive to make the synod as open as possible, for the Italians, for the public, for Sophia. But should the synod fail, we must strive to make the trial as unfair as possible, to stoke outrage in the hearts of the Angelodoulos."

*Alexius starts to turn away, but then stops*

"Oh, and try not to have any second thoughts on all this. Going public would be most unwise...I have many friends in Constantinople, and you've already made quite a few enemies. I trust you as much as I trust anyone: about as far as I can throw them. And I am not a very strong man."

*Alexius then strides over to where Desmetri is seated. Should Arrius want to reply, he would walk back over to Arrius to talk with him, isolating these two quite different conversations."

Senator Jakov Desmerti
He has his servants lift him to a secluded corner, where he lights his brazier and starts to fry some strange looking meat, pulling some spices from hidden pockets and seasoning it liberally. He then writes a note to senator Colombo:

"My friend, let us meet. We have much to discuss. I have a interesting proposal for you."

"Hello, Jakov. I am most interested in your proposal. Somehow,

*He flashes his shark teeth again.*

I know that this isn't some bland policy proposal you're talking about."

{{Scheming about heresy or scheming about cannibalism?

WHY NOT BOTH?}}

{{Also, "grain shipments", lol}}

{{Too much H-word, don't want us to rile MachTwelve up any more than we already have.}}

{{Speak of the devil, and he will post a jpeg. And about riling me up.... too late you new senators are about to find all out the Mad Mandromenos.

Heresy Fast.jpg
}}

Reactions:
"Hello, Jakov. I am most interested in your proposal. Somehow,

*He flashes his shark teeth again.*

I know that this isn't some bland policy proposal you're talking about."

Jakov's teeth aren't remotely shark like. They are straight, and white as could be. But his eyes hae the cold grey glare of a predator who smells blood.

Jakov opens the brazier, inside are a pair of frying tongues, well seasoned.

"I know that you are more preferential to other... parts, but I've found that there is something especially satisfying in looking at a man, looking into his living eyes, and knowing that you have eaten a part of that mans body."

He glances at his two mute servants, and offers one of the tongues on a small platter to Colombo, taking a bite of his own to show that they're not poisoned.

"I shall cut to the chase. We are both in a position of power, but no doubt seek greater power still. I believe that our current president is partial to Red Demes, Old Houses, men who are not yet confirmed cannibals, and his family, the Komnemos. You have two of these, and I another two-- no man knows that I have ever tasted human flesh, and I have seasoned these tongues to smell like beef. You have access to the growing number of senators who support the Angeloi. I would recommend that you continue to grow these ties, and if possible, recruit senator Este Ravenna to the cause. I will do the same. Then, the two of us will write a letter to our dear president, informing him of the evil heresies of this... group, who will, of course, have as yet unknown connections to House Dallessenos. Isaakios Komnemos will of course be aghast and seize this opportunity for the glory of his house, and we will be rewarded for our service. If not... then we can sell these things that we know to house Dallessenos, or perhaps the imperial bureaucracy itself. With the senate shrunken, and both of us as speakers for our respective Demes, who knows what we could achieve?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Senator Nikephoros II Salamis (Blue Demes):
*Nikephoros washes his hands in his basin and looks grim. Another recess, another scheming session for all those would-be masters of intrigue to bolster their sense of power. This one will think that he outsmarted the dynatoi, this one will be sure that he is the mastermind of the Imperium... All of them, all of us, puppets to those wretched dynatoi and their vast systems of spies. Nikephoros lost his taste for politics years ago, before he joined the army, but a recess is a recess. He stands up and walks towards Senator Pylaeus.*
Senator, I saw your letter. Aye, I value knowledge. Its destruction causes a grave harm, returns us to the advancement level of savages. If we want to defeat our enemies, the libraries and the Pandidaktarion are as important as walls and military storehouses and ships. Knowledge is power, after all. While I'm afraid I can send only a small amount of men to Konstantinopolis, I do have another possible aid to provide. My house's seat, or indeed its only holding, is on the island of Salamis, close to Athens. We managed to keep most of the plague away from the island by isolating it, and it is quite safe. I propose to create a library, or more of a vault of knowledge, in Castle Salamis until the situation in Konstantinopolis and the Imperium stabilizes. While my house did experience a... civil war on the island years ago, which brought the plague there, right now there is nothing of the sort to fear. The problematic branch of the family died out. What say you?

Last edited:
Senator Belissarios Leonidos (White Demes):
*He then calls for an eunuch to deliver the letter to Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos.*

Lazaros II. Melissenos (White Demes)

*Lazaros reads the letter of Senator Leonidos, bevor calling for paper and ink to set up an answer.*

Senator Leonidos,

I would like to agree to your offer, but the plaque has cost the lives of many members of my family as well. The only one who is left and unmarried is my young 15 year old male cousin who will eventually follow me on the senatorial seat.
But I don't want to disregard and outstretched hand so I propose a friendship agreement between our houses as an alternative to marriage ties.

Signed
Lazaros II. Melissenos

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes)

*To Senator Salamis*

That is indeed a valuable location for a vault. After my family lost the estate and library in Roma we did not have a chance to fully restore a third one. The remaining libraries tend to look more like fortresses after two decades of instability.

I'd like to take you up on your offer. Your house would be responsible for the initial and operating expenses for the vault, including staff provisions, facility maintenance and operating goods like ink, paper, etc.

I will provide the personnel and guards necessary, as well as their pay. Of course their authority would be strictly limited to the library grounds, as you are the lord of the island.

I also believe that because of its isolated location, two dozen guards or so will suffice, so you should not have anything to fear.

Do you think you could agree to terms like this? If you so desire, my people could also serve as tutors for some of your selected servants, if you want to train some librarians of your own.

*Decius leaves Senator Salamis to ponder the proposal, when he is approached by Senator Mandromenos.*

Ah, Senator Mandromenos. You appear to be quite different from your predecessor in the Senate. I shall listen to what you have to say, as we appeared to share a common position during the debate.

Last edited:
Senator Marius Serapis of the White Demes

Marius walks around the courtyard carrying a glass of fine Hohenzollern beer. Of all the deals struck last session that one had probably been the least profitable, but nevertheless his own personal favourite. At least the "gift" of an entire shipment had been enough to dissuade the rabble from burning his mansion in Hierusalem to the ground. He spots senator Hohenzollern conversing with Habsburg, Muzaka and Rashid and smiles graciously, raising his glass slightly in greeting.

He walks past Colombo and Desmerti, the smell of their barbecue drawing his attention. Colombo's madness had long been apparent, but Desmerti had made some good points in the debate. His ideas of breaking and humiliating Sophia were perhaps reckless, but close to Marius' own thoughts. It would be a pity if Colombo gained another crony, but he was far too unsubtle to be a real threat.

He walks on, the stench of searing meat suddenly turning his stomach as he spots Arrius stadning nearby. There was a heretic just waiting for the bonfire, but how dared he be so bold? His predecessor had been a man of reason, a worthy partner and rival, but this man... Marius shakes his head. Only another sign of the decay of the Blue Demes. At least Salamis was still formidable, a balancing influence in a pack of madmen and heretics. To think that house had once been the openly proclaimed enemy of Serapis.

His thoughts turn once again as he approaches Speaker Pylaeus. He had been an admirable leader of the White, far outplaying his opposites in the Blue and Red Demes. In many ways he had been the ideal senator, and that had always annoyed Marius. For while Pylaeus was doubtless a great asset for the Demes his very competence was standing in the way of Marius' own chances for advancement. Oh, Serapis was still a great house, perhaps the wealthiest in the senate thanks to its freedom from taxation, but that had been his fathers doing and not Marius' own. Alexios had even named Pylaeus as the most suitable successor for leading the Demes, not accounting for the possibility he would die from the plague before Pylaeus was too old to succeed him. To Father he thinks bitterly to himself as he raises his glass in greeting to his Leader and drinks.

He moves on, not wanting to interrupt Pylaeus conversation with Mandromenos and instead approaches Senator Mojmirid. "Theresa sends her regards. She was greatly saddened by hearing of the loss of Zeno Urbicus, as am I. He was a great man. How fares my dear cousin Livia?

Senator Markus von Habsburg (still unaffiliated):

If - and I cannot stress enough that this is a very large if - the mob manages to win against a disciplined and experienced enemy force, then they will have done so through the wise and enlightened leadership of the Holy Synod, which will have integrated them in the existing Church system, whether Lady Angelos likes it or not. And this is a very low probability, ja. It is far more likely the zealots manage to wipe themselves out and annoy our enemies at the same time.

Senator David Ignacion (Unaffiliated):

He had finished his wine and moved from his corner spot to receive more. However, as he moved he heard talk from the other senators, talk of heresy and cannibalism, including strange nonsense which included using the mob fighters to combat the Imperiums enemies, which made his own position replay in his mind, and then inadvertently he began talking to himself. "Whilst my island is relatively unscathed by rebellions, it's only a short boat ride away to Italia where hoi polloi were rising up from Lukania to Lombardy. I want to prevent more uprising and revolution and so... I'd want to invite Lady Sophia and the Italian ambassadors to a Synod."

Even though this session was called primarily to discuss Sophia and her Angelodulist preachings, he was suprised that no more senators other than a few discussed the other issue present: raising tariffs in the colonial exarchates. He began muttering again. "Whilst I, in my prior occupation as a tax collector, had to witness the suffering of common folk whenever my mere presence was announced, I know that it was a mandatory step toward the stabilization of the Imperium. And all of the loans and spending were a rookie mistake... but that's neither here nor there, got bigger things to worry about"

Like getting more wine. He snapped out of his trance and poured himself more.