• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ferdinant had heard of some pirates disrupting Aragonese trade in Africa. He was furious about this news. Aragonese people got killed. His plan of limiting Piracy outside of the Mediterranean has failed. But he also knew that it was a small and weak fleet. The TPTC had ignored defense of their ships! They didn't care about the people of Aragon, their merchants and traders, they only cared about their coin. For almost nothing they could get some cannons on these ships! They could atleast have given the merchants some weapons to defend themselves. Instead hundreds of merchants died and ships got sunk. He would petition the king to remove the TPTC monopoly on Africa.

Petition to revoke the TPTC monopoly on Africa.

The TPTC has been unable to defend their own merchants from something as simple as piracy. They do not care about Aragonese lives. They only care about their money.
Therefore, they should lose their monopoly on Africa. The Aragonese people should be free to trade in this rich region.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((This is a seperate letter to the court))
Petition to designate Sevilla as the main colonial trade port of Aragon.

The city of Sevilla is perfectly placed to ship Colonial products from Africa and the Americas and move them further inland. designating it the main trade port would make a mess a lot easier to manage, and the city would flourish because of the valueable colonial goods.

((Event flavor_spa.3153 happens, better known as Trade center in Sevilla, increasing local trade power in the province))

Letter to the court of Aragon.

I, Ferdinant II de Almeria, hereby apply for viceroy of our new colonial nation in Brazil. As I already control all trade coming in and out of Brazil, I would try to increase the general production of the area and send more of the great colonial products such as dyes and tropical wood.

If not possible, I would want to apply for grand admiral. Having the entire navy under one command can only be advantageous, especially under a brialliant mind like I am.

((Ah, these petitions are problematic. I didn't realize when I approved the Sevilla event that it was one of those ones that just gives you a bonus and no penalty. I'd prefer to avoid just randomly proposing in-game events like this since it's a bit gamey. If we are to use it, we have to add our own penalty. Maybe this forces us to make Sevilla our home node instead of Genoa, which would most likely harm our trade income since trade goes into Genoa and not out, so all our Mediterranean trade would barely reach Sevilla. Maybe we'd also get our trade power lowered in some Mediterranean nodes. I'm open to suggestions.

As for the first proposal, monopolies are granted and revoked by the king. Only the king has the power to revoke a monopoly. This is mainly because having players able to do that would just lead to rival trading companies continuously trying to remove each other's monopolies through petition. I'd like to avoid that. For now it will rely on events in this iAAR and the game that may sway the king to revoke such monopolies. I'll elaborate further in my letter.))

Xs93UHA.png

I'm afraid that it would be a conflict of interest to allow any one man outside the royal family to hold more than one position. Seeing as I have received an offer from another to serve as a viceroy and you are an admiral in our navy, perhaps you would like to serve as our Grand Admiral as suggested.

As for your desire to see the TPTC's monopoly on Africa revoked, I am not certain that I wish to do so. Trading companies do not control pirates and sometimes there is little they can do, especially with such an extensive coastline. There has long been pirates who disrupted trade in the Mediterranean and it is no different in Africa. I have also heard rumours that the occasional Portuguese ship was hit, so it is not just our own trade being hurt here. I am also not unaware that as the head of the ATC, which happens to have ships travel through the region when trading between Europe and Brazil, you would inevitably benefit from the end of the TPTC's monopoly on Africa. The Crown's agreement with the TPTC over Africa stipulates that the Crown has as much responsibility to patrol those waters as the TPTC does, so we are both at fault. Perhaps I shall order the fleet down to West Africa to clear out the pirates before the Crown starts to share the blame as well.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

((Private Letter to the Crown of Aragon))

Your Majesty,
I kindly ask you to grant me the position of Viceroy of our newly founded colonial nation. The County of Sevilla is prospering under my rule, and not just economically. Although I do like to point out that the successful Atlantic Trading Company would not have been founded without the generous loan provided by the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon. The ATC is headquartered in Sevilla and with their head I have a good relationship. After all, Ferdinant's company would not exist without my investment. Ferdinant is a good citizen of Sevilla and as head of the ATC, he can confirm that life in Sevilla is splendid under my rule.
As a diplomat of the Crown, I enjoy excellent relations with the diplomatic corps of foreign countries. These relations can be of use should you decide to appoint me as viceroy. Not only do I know how to successfully run a county, I also know how to run a business. I am also currently financing a colony on the Falklands from my personal wealth in order to increase Aragon's presence in the Americas. I hope I convinced you that I should be your natural choice for appointing a new viceroy.

I'd also like to suggest a possible name for your new colonial nation: Ferrania.

Your humble subject,
Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown of Aragon, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany

Xs93UHA.png

You are indeed quite a capable man and I see no reason to deny your request. If you would serve as the Crown's representative with the new colonial government, I will gladly accept your offer.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Reactions:
((Verdammt. There goes another one. :())

Unexpected? Sure. But it was at least enough to catch up.

If he had gone east, who would know where Sancho was before he was even in India! But he went west, for the sole reason of keeping tabs on him. And westwards he went, eventually finding another ship flying the Aragonese banner. He would not let Sancho the glory of being the world's first circumnavigator.

Off he went, to the Pacific. One day Sancho's ships would be ahead; the next day, his. On the umpteenth day that this happened, a storm struck. Although he had weathered storms like this before around the cape, this one was too much. Both explorers were taken down. Before he supposedly drowned among the waves, he saw... were those islands? The last thing he would think about was Madeira, and the time that Sancho spent on it until he had arrived to finish the Portuguese...

-----------------------------------------

((Colonial nation ideas: Name it after a region that we control. Nova Aragó sounds good to me for Brazil. :)

New Character data comes later.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
'Old friend, I fear he is getting old.' Montségur pointed at Martí, the expedition's scout and hunter. 'Diamonds? No. This is just quartz, as we have been told. It will just be a matter of time until he does another mistake like this. Where is he now?'
'Well, if the cross has to be trusted, he found a lot of riches and... ambush!' Valeyron jumped behind a rock, the arrow just missing him. Montségur followed him into the hiding, and they fired back at the attackers.
'Doesn't look too good, there are just too many.' Valeyron panicked a bit.
'And this just after reaching the Northern continent. Cursed luck. Listen.' Montségur spoke as calm as he could. 'Take these. He gave him a knight and a rook. Give them to my brother. He'll know what it means.'
'But monseigneur...'
'Go. I'll be fine. It is my responsibility to stay with my men. If the expedition fails, then it was their destiny. Maybe I'll return to Cusco if I get out alive... But one has to report to the king.' He fired another shot at an attacker, and Valeyron knew he had no time for discussions. Jumping on the fastest horse of the expedition, he got away. A last look behind, he saw a fierce battle engaging. Praying for his childhood friend, he made his way to the coast.

Name: Mathieu Valeyron ((out of my main family))
Date of Birth: January 1504
Class: unlanded noble, (conquistador)
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Childhood friend of Denis Philippe de Montségur as son of one of his uncle's vassals, Valeyron followed Montségur into the unknown. Serving as second-in-command, he managed to get away from the native ambush as one of the few whose fate is certain. Having reached Aragon, there is an emptiness in his life he can't fill. The New World. He has a lot of experience over there, and there is so much left to discover. Maybe even Montségur, alive waiting somewhere for him to tell the story of how he escaped. After delivering the chess pieces to Duke Francois, he petitioned the king to grant him command of the next expedition.

Your Majesty,
As you might have heard, I have seen much of the New World following your conquistador Denis Philippe de Montségur. His fate leaves me with no rest. Either way, I have to end what he has begun. I humbly ask you to accept my services as conquistador to chart the Northern lands. Experience in dealing with the natives is very important, and I have more than any other man when it comes to this. There is still much to discover and riches to bring back. Your trust will not be misplaced.
Your humble servant,
Mathieu Valeyron

Francois de Montségur looked at the chess pieces in his hand. How could he forget? This was the closest he ever got to a victory. One more turn and he would have got checkmate. He had just taken Denis' queen. But instead of winning, he lost; his brother moved a knight. Francois wanted to take it with his pawn, but couldn't move due to the rook. Checkmate. He had lost, once again. He knew what this meant: As lost a cause at it seemed, his brother had a plan to get out victorious. A tear rolled down his cheek. 'And now, I will never hear of you again.'

Reactions:
((Private letter to King Ferran III de Trastámara, king of Aragon and protector of the Greeks. @Michaelangelo ))

I would happily accept the title of Grand Admiral.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria, head of the ATC and admiral of the Aragonese navy

(1538)
Pirates?! Attacking his ships?! This wasn't good. Maxime's reputation was ruined, and he coudn't do anything about it. People were saying that TPTC's ships were defensles, that they didn'y care about lives of their sailors, merchants... But this was not true! Ships were always equiped with few cannons, and on each ship there were weapons for the crew!! But those who didn't know about reality said otherwise, and he couldn't change it. Whenever he walked the streets of Valencia, people looked at him and ridiculed him. Why don't the just understand?! All he had worked for ruined by some pirates... This was too much, he had to end this. On the next day, as the newest reorts were being delieverd to Maxims office, the person delivering the reports walked in, he saw Maxime hanging from the ceiling with a single not left on the desk.

Last Will and Testament of Maxime de Saint-Pierre
I, Maxime de Saint-Pierre, born in the county of Foix, who spent most of his life in the city of Valencia, being sound of mind, herby dec;are this document to be my Last Will and Testament.

I wish to give my company, the villa in the count of Foix, and the residence in Valencia to my eldest son Philippe de Saint-Pierre. He shall also recieve 60% of my wealth.

To my second son Charles de Saint-Pierre, I leave al of my ships, small estate in the county of Béarn, He shall also recieve 10% of my wealth remaining at the moment of my death.

To my daughter Loise de Saint-Pierre I leave nothing, but a broken ducat.

To King Ferran III, and his descendants I wish leave 20% of my wealth in order to benefit the Kingdom.

And lastly the remaining 10% of wealth shall be distributed between all the nobles of Aragon, with the exception of the count of Epirus because of the supposed wealth of the county.

Maxime de Saint-Pierre​

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name: Philippe de Saint-Pierre
Date of birth: 1489
Class: Courtier
Bio: The eldest son of Maxime de Saint-Pierre, inhereting his fathers company, and seeking to bring back the good name of the Saint-Pierre family. He is very tolerant, and willing to trade with anyone. He is verry loyal, but willing to break the law for the good of others, or himself. He thinks most of decisions through, but when he is angry he can be careless.

((Private letter to the King))

Your Majesty, King Ferran III,
I write to you to ask you for 2 things and propose one. I would humbly ask to become a merchant in the name of Aragon, and I would also request to become a Grandmaster. I do understand that I'm new to the court, but I wish to assure you that I'm just as capable as my father. I would also like to propose a represetation in the TPTC's council for you and your succesors. I believe this will allow better cooperaton between the Crown and the Company.
Philippe de Saint-Pierre

Last edited:
Reactions:
As for the first proposal, monopolies are granted and revoked by the king. Only the king has the power to revoke a monopoly. This is mainly because having players able to do that would just lead to rival trading companies continuously trying to remove each other's monopolies through petition. I'd like to avoid that. For now it will rely on events in this iAAR and the game that may sway the king to revoke such monopolies. I'll elaborate further in my letter.))
[/spoiler]
((Dreumel does have a good point though. The pirate attacks harmed the Crown's trade interests in Africa because the TPTC's merchant marine was defeated by the pirates (was determined by dice roll that the pirates were victorious). Maybe you can change the rules so that if bad events happen to a trading company (and a devastating pirate attack is quite bad), that then players can suggest to revoke a monopoly? It could be put up for a vote or so. Just an idea))

((Private letter tot he Crown))

Thank you for entrusting me to become your viceroy.

~ Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Viceroy of Brazil, Diplomat of the Crown, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon

And lastly the remaining 10% of wealth shall be distributed between all the nobles of Aragon, with the exception of the count of Epirus because of the supposed wealth of the county.​
((This made me laugh out loud :cool: ))​

((As for the Sevilla petition, we could give a trade penalty to Valencia, Barcelona or the incredibly rich province of Epirus))

Reactions:
The war had been won. Even though he only commanded the navy in one battle, it was a crushing victory. Aragon would lose 120 sailors, while Provence lost their entire navy and all experienced sailors, and merchants who were send to death by the Provencian government. Not much really happened after that. The war would go on for a couple of years, but after a month of no battles Ferdinant decided to hunt some pirates around Tunisia. There were about 12 small engagements against small pirate fleets, but in the end around 80 pirate ships were sunk, while still not losing a single ship on his part.

Maybe it was the constant native raids that killed most of his men. Maybe it was the horrifying diseases which claimed many each day. Maybe it was both. Whatever the case, Miguel found himself alone with about nine soldiers and a black slave they called “Estevanico.” Almost all of them were dying of an unknown illness.

It was a native raid that finally finished them off. They were ambushed in the jungle for what was probably the hundredth time that month. This time, they hardly put up a fight. Three soldiers and Estevanico managed to make it back to the settlements in Nova Arago.

Miguel watched as everybody around him was brutally killed by these savages. He drew his sword and prepared to die fighting.

At that moment, all of the natives stopped attacking and stared at him. They then prostrated themselves on the floor and shouted in their own language. Miguel was taken back to their village in the jungle, where he was treated like a king, if they had a king. After picking up a bit of the native language, Miguel deduced that they were related to the tribe which had killed his father years ago and that they treated the wielder of the sword as the man who would bring a new age to them.

They gave him some herbs and treated his wounds. Miraculously, he began to recover from his deadly illness.

A few days later, he told them that he had to go, but that he would return someday.

He staggered out of the jungle, arriving back at Nova Arago a bit later, ragged but alive.

Miguel got a new expeditionary force and set out into the jungle again with Montségur. They came across another tribe of “Amazons” and decided not to interfere with their customs, seeing as they could be of use as future subjects of Aragon. Then they found some abandoned mounds, and some eager soldiers suggested there might be gold buried under them. There wasn’t any gold there.

Montségur decided to explore the northern continent, leaving Miguel on his own. Oh well, thought Miguel. At least he could have his own continent to explore now.

A day after Montségur left his expedition, rumors reached Miguel about the Fountain of Youth, which his father had dreamed of finding. The expedition was immediately sent to locate it.

Two debacles ensued. One was the “false diamonds” he found. The responsible native was quickly executed. Another was the [REDACTED], in which [DATA EXPUNGED]. The responsible natives were quickly disposed of, with their villages burned down and all references to [REDACTED], native and European, destroyed in secret.

Now where was that bloody fountain?

Reactions:
Francesco was satisfied with life. The country was successful in its war,with to no damage to Pirineo, his wife was successful to produce 2 fine children, a boy and a girl, and the possiblity of a third soon, and the estate had the money to supply for the 2 devils and his people.

But he was aroused from his musing, when his page called after him. He stated that His Holiness, the new French pope, and successor to Francesco's father's, Manuel, uncle Juan/ Stephen X had called to his Castilo. Immediately he requested Valentine to stay put, for now, and asked her advice over his appearence, impeccable as always she commented, as he almost rushed to met the Pope. His Holiness was a quant man, Francesco felt when he first saw him, his robes flowing about him like clouds in the sky, a very sense of the ethereal hovered around the man. And then he spoke ((the following conversation is in French, RP wise, but will be shown as English for simplicity and ease at my end))

Francesco: Your Holiness, I am most honoured that you have graced my household with your presence
Pope Clemens: The pleasure is mine, Count de Soneta. I have come here at the bequest of my predescor, who wished, at a time of peace and stablity, for his successor to return these ((retrives a fine ornate case)) to his nearest male next of kin, which rests in yourself, my child.
Francesco: my fathers uncle, you have come on his behalf!?
Pope Clemens: indeed my son
Francesco: thank you, Father, may i invite you to a drink?
Pope Clemens: that would be most reprieving, the journey is long from Rome after all (chuckle)
Francesco: indeed it is, Father, indeed it is (shares in chuckle)

Francesco and the Pope head into the main hall of Castilio de Monteneo, there they have a small talk, Valentine comes to join the gentlemen, accomiated by the young children. His Holiness blesses them, and the unborn child, and leaves the Box with Francesco. Francesco asks Valentine to send the children away, as the rumbling of the Papal Carriage fades into the distance.
Valentine and Francesco remain alone in the main hall, with only the fire crackling in the backround perputating the still air. Francesco motions of Valentine to sit beside him, and describes what the box is to her. Then, with a final breath, they open it together...

((part 1 of 2 of a IC exploration of the final effects of Juan Maximille Amadeus Charles Francesco de Soneta/ Pope Stephen X of Aragon))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((I don't think we should be allowed to vote on monopolies because the opponents of the company are always going to vote to bring down the monopoly))
((What is wrong with opponents opposing their opponents? It can lead to intrigue and interesting alliances. Also not everybody is in a trading-company, particularly nobles aren't, so I don't see the problem if we were to vote on revoking monopolies during time of crisis, and it's fair to call the pirate raids in the Ivory Coast a disaster for the TPTC. ))

((What is wrong with opponents opposing their opponents? It can lead to intrigue and interesting alliances. Also not everybody is in a trading-company, particularly nobles aren't, so I don't see the problem if we were to vote on revoking monopolies during time of crisis, and it's fair to call the pirate raids in the Ivory Coast a disaster for the TPTC. ))

((There's no legitimate IC reason to revoke the monopolies other than petty rivalries. In other matters up for vote there is always a good reason for supporting or proposing it but this would just encourage people to constantly propose votes to revoke monopolies every turn even though losing the merchant harms Aragon's situation IG.))

((
There's no legitimate IC reason to revoke the monopolies other than petty rivalries. In other matters up for vote there is always a good reason for supporting or proposing it but this would just encourage people to constantly propose votes to revoke monopolies every turn even though losing the merchant harms Aragon's situation IG.))
((What I am suggesting is that you can only propose to revoke a monopoly if there is a legitimate reason for it, not just out of the blue. A legitimate reason could be a bad event that happened to said company in that region, among other things.

Also revoking the monopoly does not harm Aragon's in-game situation because the merchant is still kept. For examplee,the merchant could be a merchant of the Crown for as long as no trading company has a monopoly in said region)
))

Name: Mathieu Valeyron ((out of my main family))
Date of Birth: January 1504
Class: unlanded noble, (conquistador)
Bio: Childhood friend of Denis Philippe de Montségur as son of one of his uncle's vassals, Valeyron followed Montségur into the unknown. Serving as second-in-command, he managed to get away from the native ambush as one of the few whose fate is certain. Having reached Aragon, there is an emptiness in his life he can't fill. The New World. He has a lot of experience over there, and there is so much left to discover. Maybe even Montségur, alive waiting somewhere for him to tell the story of how he escaped. After delivering the chess pieces to Duke Francois, he petitioned the king to grant him command of the next expedition.

Your Majesty,
As you might have heard, I have seen much of the New World following your conquistador Denis Philippe de Montségur. His fate leaves me with no rest. Either way, I have to end what he has begun. I humbly ask you to accept my services as conquistador to chart the Northern lands. Experience in dealing with the natives is very important, and I have more than any other man when it comes to this. There is still much to discover and riches to bring back. Your trust will not be misplaced.
Your humble servant,
Mathieu Valeyron

Xs93UHA.png

Montségur's end was indeed a tragic one. If you will find peace of mind by following in his footsteps, I shall ensure you receive the necessary funding to explore the northern continent. Good luck on your travels.

((Private letter to the King))

Your Majesty, King Ferran III,
I write to you to ask you for 2 things and propose one. I would humbly ask to become a merchant in the name of Aragon, and I would also request to become a Grandmaster. I do understand that I'm new to the court, but I wish to assure you that I'm just as capable as my father. I would also like to propose a represetation in the TPTC's council for you and your succesors. I believe this will allow better cooperaton between the Crown and the Company.
Philippe de Saint-Pierre

Xs93UHA.png

You family does have quite the history regarding trade, so your services are welcome. Representation in the TPTC may help us better communicate, for I feel the Crown has been somewhat responsible for allowing the recent pirate attacks to occur on your father's, and now your, company. Our agreement stipulated that the Crown help patrol the trade routes and we failed. I shall ensure that the royal navy make a sweep down the west coast of Africa for any pirates that remain.

((As for the Sevilla petition, we could give a trade penalty to Valencia, Barcelona or the incredibly rich province of Epirus))

((That seems like a decent compromise. Sevilla will get a boost, while Valencia and other important trade provinces will be penalized. The specifics will have to be ironed out still.))

Two debacles ensued. One was the “false diamonds” he found. The responsible native was quickly executed. Another was the [REDACTED], in which [DATA EXPUNGED]. The responsible natives were quickly disposed of, with their villages burned down and all references to [REDACTED], native and European, destroyed in secret.

((Lol, this made me chuckle. No one will ever know that your character [REDACTED].))

((I don't think we should be allowed to vote on monopolies because the opponents of the company are always going to vote to bring down the monopoly))

((I have to agree with Andre here. The ability for players to vote down monopolies can lead to a conflict of interest. It'd be like giving players the ability to vote for a revocation of titles. Nobles would just constantly be calling for their rivals to lose their titles regardless of what they've been doing. And the TPTC has already experienced a penalty for the pirate attacks, mainly the loss of their extra VP. If a monopoly was revoked every time a pirate attack was launched, players could just spam them against their rivals. To me, I don't really think it fair to revoke a monopoly based on events outside the affected player's control. That's like blaming a business for lousy service that were a result of an economic downturn. The business had no control over the economy and their lousy service merely resulted from what was out of their control. I'm not saying the monopolies cannot be revoked or that players can't ask the king to revoke them, but much more would have to happen to a trading company before that happened.))

Xs93UHA.png

My plans as treasurer shall remain the same. As for the army, I believe it has been suitably expanded. My only other suggestion would be to consider hiring new mercenaries for our conquistadors, for some of our current ones use outdated weaponry.

Xs93UHA.png
You family does have quite the history regarding trade, so your services are welcome. Representation in the TPTC may help us better communicate, for I feel the Crown has been somewhat responsible for allowing the recent pirate attacks to occur on your father's, and now your, company. Our agreement stipulated that the Crown help patrol the trade routes and we failed. I shall ensure that the royal navy make a sweep down the west coast of Africa for any pirates that remain.

Your Majsty,
Thank you for trusting me the same way as you did trust my father. I will do everything that I can in my power to make sure that Aragonese trade will flourish. I also wish to thank you for sending ships to fight off the pirates. I also find it suspicious that the pirates are running rampage, but the ATC, which needs to follow the same routes, prospers. But I do not want to point fingers at anyon until I gather more information on the matter. As for my plan for the Grandmaster position I do not think it needs any changes. My father certainly knew what he was doing.
Philippe de Saint-Pirre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon

The navy is in a great form at the moment and there is nothing that should be changed. If there are any galleys that do not use the newest design, then they should be updated. May Aragon rule the seas forever!

- Ferdinant II de Almeria, head of the ATC, admiral of the royal Aragonese navy and Grand Admiral of Aragon.