Hearts of Iron IV - 31st Development Diary - 30th of October 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
also, do you HAVE to take territory? can you just offer a "white peace" as in HoI2?

is it possible for those in same faction to trade provinces back and forth WITHOUT WAR to even out borders and reduce future conflict?

Until 1937, when Nazi Germany's ally invaded China.

The article you quote says that "after Kuomintang's defeat in the Chinese Civil War, the central government relocated to Taiwan. In the Republic of China on Taiwan, many government officials and ministers were trained in Germany, as were many faculties, research personnel, and military officers, such as Chiang's own adopted son Chiang Wei-kuo".

If that was true then he wouldn't be in the Wehrmacht, which was disbanded. However, since the uniform in the photo has a swastika, then the person in the photo was not in the post-war German Army.

Can you remove the picture please.

In 1937 Germany was not allied with Japan. If you refer to the Anticomintern Pact, Hitlers goal was to get GB, Poland, National China, Italy and Japan into the pact. The pact was directed against the SU only.

Japan made this impossible with their attack on NC.

In 1940 the japanese joined the axis.

Thats the correct report:

When the German Wehrmacht rolled into Austria in March 1938, one of its soldiers stood out. A 21-year-old sergeant-cadet in the 98th Jäger Regiment, his hair was jet-black, and his features were distinctly Asian. His name was Chiang Wei-kuo, and he was the adopted son of China’s ruler Chiang Kai-shek.
Chiang Wei-kuo was the biological son of Dai Jitao, one of Chiang Kai-shek’s closest associates, and Dai Jitao’s Japanese mistress. Chiang Kai-shek had agreed to adopt him at the age of three and since then he had treated the boy with great affection, not least because of his good looks.

From 1934 to 1936, Chiang Wei-kuo studied physics at Dongwu University in the east Chinese city of Suzhou, while also enrolling in a program for reserve officers. This ended in September 1937, when Chiang Kai-shek, who at the time had strong pro-German sympathies, sent him off to Germany for advanced military training.

Chiang Wei-kuo became a student at the Kriegsakademie, or War Academy, in the south German city of Munich. It was in his capacity of a cadet at this institution that he found himself on a German truck crossing the Austrian border in the early hours of March 12, 1938.

There was no fighting, as the union with Germany was generally welcomed by the Austrians. Instead, Chiang Wei-kuo and other officer candidates ended up commanding Austrian army units as they were incorporated into the Wehrmacht, according to Jay Taylor, the biographer of Chiang Wei-kuo’s stepbrother Chiang Ching-kuo.

After Austria, next up for the German army was the occupation of the Sudetenland, the largely German-speaking part of Czechoslovakia, in October 1938. Chiang Wei-kuo did not participate, even though he later admitted he would have liked to, Jay Taylor writes in his biography.

Chiang Wei-kuo as a student at the Munich war academy. The lanyard is an award for excellence in marksmanship.

Chiang Wei-kuo graduated in the summer of 1939, just weeks before the German invasion of Poland, which was to trigger World War II in Europe. He was instructed by the Chinese authorities to attach himself as an observer to a German division lined up along the Oder River, near the Polish border.

“But,” Jay Taylor writes, “to his regret, Wei-kuo missed the opportunity to ride along on the invasion of Poland. On the way to the border, he traveled through Berlin and reported to the Chinese embassy. There he received new orders. He was to travel to the United States for training.”

Chiang Wei-kuo in the post-war Taiwan military.

Chiang Wei-kuo initially enrolled at the Army Air Corps School in Alabama, but once the US top brass understood he had received training in Germany, already recognized as a leader in tank warfare, he was sent to the Armored Force Center at Fort Knox.

Reactions:
We actually track casualties now and that will also factor into your participation score.
Ah, so countries who lost a lot of men will have less say than those who had fewer casualties?
Excellent.
I hope it won't be other way around, that would be stupid. Nobody actually felt sorry for those who had their armies or civilians slaughtered when it came to deciding borders.

Reactions:
I like how this forces you to think about taking allies with you into a small war. Germany doesnt want to share :p

A couple of questions:
Does the Points all the participating partners have reflect precisely the amount of territory occupied? - In a fiction example. Poland and France part Germany. If they participated 20/80 will France get 80% of the points needed to annex Germany or might they be able to get enough to take it all and leave Poland with nothing?

How does Lend Lease work in the equation. I assume that the US will get participation score for all the lend lease sent to the USSR and Allies?

Is it possible to extend favours. Like giving points to other powers or demanding more than your share? An example would be Germany and Italy ganking up on Yugoslavia both participating and after that they take out Greece (without any of them being in a faction). Would Italy be able to let Germany annex Yugoslavia and then Germany let Italy annex Greece even if they had a 50/50 participation and it was two seperate wars with two peace conferences?

Reactions:
I'm confused slightly by the Yugoslavian demands - Krakow and Lublin. I can't imagine how they could be reasonably justified.

If I may ask, why is the UK the Allies leader and not France?

Reactions:
Why the unrealistic flag for Rumania? The flag was the normal tricolour during all but the communist regime.
The logical answer is that Yugoslavia and Romania have changed goverment form and hence flag and name

Reactions:
I'm confused slightly by the Yugoslavian demands - Krakow and Lublin. I can't imagine how they could be reasonably justified.

If I may ask, why is the UK the Allies leader and not France?

because they probably haven't surrendered yet.

Reactions:
Throughout Poland I see a bunch of single provinces that are going to be taken in the peace deals. But I'm confused, I thought you could only take entire states, not individual provinces..?

Reactions:
And how can one conquer the world? You need to DOW third faction before peace conference? Or there is option to refuse conference and DOW others?

Reactions: