• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kusaribe Zaibatsu Industrial Plan

Purchase of Chosokame Arms: -£45,587

Chubu, Expand:
Luxury Clothes -£16.87k
Regular Clothes -£14.26k
Fabric -£7.57k

Chugoku, Build:
Luxury Furniture -£16.96

Kansai, Expand:
Cement -£2.87k

Kanto, Expand:
Glass -£7.95
Luxury Clothes -£16.87k

Kyushu, Expand:
Amunition -£10.92

Leaving: £196,194

Declare War on Spain: No

[Politician]

Despite my past lobbying for war against the Spanish, the war that was proposed would subject the Filipinos, should their civilization and culture still exist after centuries of gaijin subjugation, to the same fate as the Koreans. And as a member of the Jiyudo, I feel I cannot vote in favor or against of this motion. Therefore:

Declare war on Spain: Abstain

((Militancy Mechanic: Yes
POP Mechanic: Yes))

[Politician]

Final Tally (With Bonuses):

Guide: Yes/No/Abstain

Declare War on Spain: 16/15/1

Passed

((

MIL Mechanics: 9/3/0

Passed, will be implemented this turn (MIL is currently at 1)
POP Mechanics: 4/7/0
Failed, will not be implemented

))

jg1c0nk.png

It is in our power, to announce that a state of war exists between the Kingdom of Spain and the Empire of Japan. We wish our soldiers good luck in the coming conflict, and hope that they bring back glory to Japan!

-Emperor Meiji

With his political clout, had Prince Sakamoto not abstained, this war would have been avoided. As such I understand the frustration that the Traditionalists of the Jiyudo must feel towards Pan-Asianists such as the Prince and myself. And yet, there is hope. Lord Justice Satake's ruling has reestablished Nippon's commitment to all Asian peoples and proven to the world that our "mission to civilize" if it exists is more humane and cultured than that of the West. The way of harmony, the Eastern Way. Now as a party we must decide whether, in the face of our continued failure to prevent colonial adventures, it is our mission as the Jiyudo to bring Japanese subject nations into the fold to enjoy eventually the full rights of citizens, or whether it is our duty to help our protectorates maintain their languages and existing civil societies. Should the Jiyudo support Constitutional Nihonization, with rights as well as duties, or should we oppose the NLP-KAP's Nihonization policy entirely?
- Admiral Unryu Raizo

((P.S. this is meant to be public, to call the Japaneseification policy into question in the light of the court ruling establishing legal non-citizen resident rights for Japanese subjects in our new colonies.))

In light of the Diet's recent decision to declare war on Spain, I hereby announce my resignation from the Government forthwith. I pray that the cowardly actions of Prince Sakamoto will result in his quick political demise.

-- Hosokawa-dono

In light of the Diet's recent decision to declare war on Spain, I hereby announce my resignation from the Government forthwith. I pray that the cowardly actions of Prince Sakamoto will result in his quick political demise.

-- Hosokawa-dono

Run, little nanban, run!

-- Ito

Date (1879-1882): The Great Asian War
It should have been an easy conflict, a simple invasion of a colony of a far-away empire that was fading into oblivion. Spain was not really the prime military power of Europe at the time. While Japan grew, Spain was shrinking. Spain had only one ally, the nation of Italy, and had lost a war recently to a British-German coalition. Spain was not keen on keeping their colonies alive, figuring that many independence movements were spawning in these colonies. It seemed these colonies were ripe for the picking.

nD6o0uI.jpg

(Map of the Islands)

This is what Japan tried to do. Spain and Japan had an interesting relationship. The Spanish were once the dominant masters of Japan when Japan begged Spain to intervene against the British in the War of Matsui’s Folly (Anglo-Japanese War). Ever since the USA barged into Japan, Spain was nothing more than a lost memory. Now with the jingoist hawks of the Diet trying to expand the might of the Empire of the Rising Sun, it seemed that the Philippines, the largest of the Spanish colonies, were a prime target. The National Liberals and the Kamikaze Party both pressed for war. Once again, the doves of peace would have to sit on the side.

pcs4EFh.png

The war was not popular at all. Some say that the Philippines were pointless to attack; others said that conquest was not the key, but liberation. The Diet was split right in half between the war-hawks and the peace-makers. It is no surprised that the vote only passed by 5% and the Emperor was advised to declare war. When war was declared, the government went into uproar. Hosokawa Mitsuhide, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, resigned from his position in rage over the declaration. But this was not the worst that the pacifist movement offered. In Niigata, peace marches were held. Many pointed to the great pacifist Uesugi Narinori for starting them, but he denied it, and no evidence was found to link him to the protests. The protests spread across the country, and soon workers in Kansai were on strike to protest producing weapons for a pointless war. Prime Minister Date Munenari called these pacifists “Traitors to the Imperial cause and to the Emperor!” Coupled with a decision by the Japanese Civil Court that made Koreans equal in the eyes of the law, and the protests that followed by hardline social darwinists about how Koreans do not deserve this and that they are inferior to mighty Japanese, militancy spiked sharply. It seemed that Date Munenari would have to deal with internal discontent along with the war.

Speaking of the war, it did not start off great. Northern General Corps IV and II were dispatched to the Philippines. The only problem was the transport fleet of 13 steamers could only carry one Corp at a time. When Corps IV was dropped off in the region of Vigan, little did they know the Spanish were waiting for them. The transport fleet made great haste back to pick up Corps II. When it returned, Corps IV was gone. The Spanish surprised the Japanese force, and destroyed it. All 27,000 men were wounded, killed, and captured, but mostly captured, while the Spanish only suffered 2,000 casualties. Date Munenari ordered to hasten the speed of Corps heading to the islands. Corps II, led by General Kusanagi Miroki, was dispatched to Vigan behind the Corps IV. However, the same fate fell on them as well. The Spanish though did not have the element of surprise. The fighting was fierce, and Kusanagi fought hard. However, the battle was not in favor of Japan. When the dust settled, Corps II was destroyed, and the survivors, including Kusangi, were captured and sent back to Spain ((Terraferma has been captured)). Ironic how the son of the only Shogunate general captured is now a prisoner himself…

w5G3wg0.png
M5Nh1Up.jpg
qixwcGy.png

This was a disaster. Date Munenari flamed at the incompetence of these Corps, and decided to dispatch Admiral Unryu Raizo to blockade the island these Spanish men were reportedly on. With the blockade in place, four new Corps would be sent to the area. Generals Asano Hisanori, and the arrogant Ito Mizushima were sent with Takeda Taro to the islands. With the Spanish forces trapped on one island, the entire island chain was taken by force. When the time was right, the fleet moved out of the ports of the island, and as expected, the Spanish came hurling in at Asano Hisanori’s Corp III. A new technology though would help the Japanese, the use of the machine gun. Gatling guns were imported from the United States, and would prove deadly to the Spanish. At the end of the day, Asano Hisanori’s force would triumph, and soon, the Philippines would fall to the Japanese.

sT7JL8z.jpg

(Propaganda showing Asano in Manila)

Date Munenari though could not celebrate. The Italians, a force not even considered a possible effect, were raiding Japan. A 4,000 man Italian regiment was spotted looting the area around Nagaski. While they were quickly destroyed, the Japanese assumed the Italians were attacking by sea. Others claim the Italians were distracting for a naval assault on the Philippines. Not one Diet member considered them marching across Russia and Siberia, the most dangerous environment in the world, with a large army, and attacking Korea.

Well that is what they exactly did…

Italian troops pulled off what was considered impossible. They marched through Austria-Hungary, across Russia, across Siberia, and into Korea. This was the most dangerous environment in the world, but the Italians survived it, and boy did they catch the Korean garrisons off guard. When Italian troops were spotted in Korea, the garrison just laughed. It was too late when the Italian army converged on them. Before the order to merge them came from Date Munenari, the Italians had routed the Korean garrison, 54,000 strong, back towards Seoul. Date Munenari soon diverted all troops heading to Manila to Korea. He even took up arms and led his famous Corps I into battle. Ito Mizushima volunteered to be put into Korea, and he took charge of the Korean garrison.

17rXHoz.png
1rFiNrc.jpg

It only got worse though. In early 1881, Russia and France declared war on Japan. Both nations wanted to contain the growing might of the new Asian Empire, an Empire that was against their ambitions in the region. Soon Russian troops backed the Italians into crossing into Korea. With over 5 nations now at war with Japan, the people began to fear that this war had pushed Japan over the edge into bad waters.

fUZC0gN.png
uQxq1Ay.png

(With the declaration of war, Date ordered a full mobilization of the people)

Date Munenari needed a victory, a large one. He needed to not only help morale, but to help his polls in the election. That day came when Italian troops and Japanese troops met at Keosong, a province north of Seoul. Over 200,000 men fought at Keosong in one of the largest battles Japan had ever been involved in. The fighting was bloody. Men said they mistook blood for water and drank it. When the dust settled, the entire Italian force of over 80,000 men was reduced to 10,000. Japan suffered 45,000 casualties. Keosong was the win Date needed, and soon the Japanese were back on the offensive. Japan soon crushed the remaining Italian forces, and retook Korea. It was all in the nick of time too, as election season came upon the nation.

gNFv6v8.jpg
QpJG7Ln.png
0pXaIPh.jpg

In one of the greatest conflicts Japan had ever seen, an election would partake in it. Date Munenari had a heavy burden. The war was not even close to over and Japan had suffered almost 200,000 casualties in the fighting, lost two whole Corps, had their entire Korean force routed, and almost lost Korea to a surprise attack. It had lost one of its most influential members, and its industrial provider was not the biggest provider of campaign wealth. Things were looking very grim for the National Liberal Party. Date Munenari hoped that the tide of war can be changed and that peace can end in conquest
-----------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: It is pre-election season! Keep in mind; we are still at war with Spain, Italy, France, Russia, and Montenegro. Whoever gets power shall have to continue the war effort. Militancy rose to 3, up by 2 from 1, which is a 10% penalty to the collective Nat-Lib Voting Power in the election. Get organized, elect leaders, election begins Sunday at 9:00 PM Est or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT

Last edited:
Screenshots

Economist Wealth:

liefwarrior:
Cash in Hand: 269834
Earned: 194690
Debt: 0

mrlifeless:
Cash in Hand: 802900
Earned: 499987

Luftwafer:
Cash in Hand: 75000
Earned: 0

Keinwyn:
Cash in Hand: 698031
Earned: 501837

Scrapknight:
Cash in Hand: 6660
Earned: 0

We have five economists for now, which means mrlifeless gets the +3, keinwyn gets the +2.

Last edited:
I would like to announce that my fathers last act before his sad death was to buy the rank of ((Highest possible rank)) for his family. Sadly he died last night, I am glad that he never was able to see this Terrible defeat.

((I am the new character BTW Ito Chosokame a loyalist association politican or I can be a officer if we lack those))

((Luft you have 75,000, so I will still put you down on the economist wealth since you changed after the update. You would be able to buy a viscounty))

Meiji_cl_md.png

Vote National Liberal
For the Victory of Japan and Liberation of Asia
---
Munenari is Our Man, only He can Save Japan

We now see the truth. As the various powers of Europe align against us, we see that they will do whatever is necessary to ensure their dominance of the world is never toppled. They would see us destroyed simply because we defied them, because we said enough was enough. The Nanban are not welcome in Asia and have no right to subjugate our neighbours. This war may be a bloody one, perhaps more bloody than ever expected, but it is a necessary one. The Nanban will never willingly give up their colonies. We must continue on and show them that we will not tolerate their presence any longer. We must defy them to the last man, for never will Nippon be ravaged by the Nanban again. Nippon is no longer a fair maiden to be deflowered by some foreign power but a fierce warrior ready to plunge her blade into the heart of the Nanban. To accept defeat is to revert back to that state of weakness. Never again, I say; never again! Our men die honourable deaths for a worthy cause and we will make the Nanban bleed that much more for all that they have done to us. If we truly wish to win this war, we must ensure that the NLP and Kamikaze parties remain strong too. A change in administration will only add unnecessary chaos during this crucial time. Electing a pacifist party into power would be even more damning. Pacifism is weakness; pacifism is surrender. An end to this conflict may seem far off and many will fear the lives that it will cost to achieve a victory, but to end the war now would bring dishonour upon all those who gave their lives to break Asia free from the shackles of Nanban imperialism. Do not dishonour those brave men. Vote Kamikaze for victory. Glory to Nippon and the Emperor!

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

Regrettably, I must announce that Colonel Tanaka is hereby court-martialled for insubornation; his insults upon a superior commissioned officer, tolerated far beyond any logical and reasonable limit, must now be punished - he has had ample time to rectify his course of action, and offered innumerable chances for recompense, and yet has forsaken every such opportunity.

~ Marshall Prince Date Munenari, Prime Minister of the Empire of Japan, Chief of the Army General Staff, Chief of the Navy General Staff, Commander of the Northern General Army, and President of the Privy Council

Regrettably, I must announce that Colonel Tanaka is hereby court-martialled for insubornation; his insults upon a superior commissioned officer, tolerated far beyond any logical and reasonable limit, must now be punished - he has had ample time to rectify his course of action, and offered innumerable chances for recompense, and yet has forsaken every such opportunity.

~ Marshall Prince Date Munenari, Prime Minister of the Empire of Japan, Chief of the Army General Staff, Chief of the Navy General Staff, Commander of the Northern General Army, and President of the Privy Council

So much for parliamentarianism. Shogun Date crushes any dissent, much like his shogunate predecessors.

-Tanaka

I was afraid of this. I certainly sympathize with the goals of the war initially, but we now fight against all of Europe for no cause but our own arrogance. If more Italian bandits start pillaging Shikoku, I will be most displeased. Was it not inevitable that the National Liberal oligarchy eventually would become drunk on its own power and seek battles it could not win? It is the tragedy of Lord Nobunaga, played out before us again in the modern age.

- 桐材会社社長 長根秀俊
- Kirizai Corporation CEO Nagane Hidetoshi

I would like to announce my intention to contest the Jiyudo leadership. I believe that this is a trying time for Japan and that we need leadership committed to the transition from an aggressive policy of annexation to a much more diplomatically conservative degree of support for either a quick and effective end to this war or a transition to a direction which will lead to the independence and freedom of the Philippines under a local government. It is my belief that we should work to preserve the Japanese nation and our local traditions and customs, but we must make space for the Korean people. I propose the devolution of the Korean state as a formal protectorate under Japanese supervision, as well as a policy of total government withdrawal from the domestic economy. This should be coupled with a new set of laws which will cleave the military establishment from the body of government and allow for a greater deal of control over martial affairs to belong to the military and a greater deal of control over domestic affairs to belong to the Kyoto Government. It is on this platform that I humbly ask for the support of my fellow members of the Jiyudo, that we may be the ones to implement these objectives and grant unto Japan a strong and assertive government... A new government by, for, and with the Japanese people!

Lord Chief Justice Satake Yoshizane