• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you want to act in concert with our commercial interests, then why not Denmark, I just so happen to own the entirety of their industry.

((I don't believe that it would be particularly realistic or beneficial for Japan to have Denmark in its SoI, OTOH Germany already exists so it wouldn't be an awful decision either.))

Budget: No

[Military]

Influencing China is a good step toward peace and Asian prosperity. It may not succeed but it at least gives us a chance to promote Asian unity without force of arms and it prevents the nanban from raping poor China.

Attempting to build a canal in these far-off lands is madness.

-Tanaka

Budget: Yes

[Masters of the Empire, +4; Constitutional Bonus, +1]
[Prince]
[Militarist]
[Etc.]

Marshal Prince Date Munenari, Prime Minister of Japan, etc.

I remind the Interior Minister that the government is committed to extending our influence in China, and will seriously consider any proposal for extending our influence in any province or region from Manchuria to Guangdong. Obviously though we would prefer to act in concert with Japanese commercial interests, so should said interests seek to invest in a particular province, such as Qinghai, said province would become the priority for our diplomatic efforts.

As to the United States, our relationship has always been one of pure convenience. Now that we have broken free of their domination and asserted our independence over the Korea issue, the US lacks any real presence in Asia, while powers such as Russia are stepping up their influence in Borneo and most worryingly, Manchuria. One can assume based on the recent Alaska purchase that there is no animosity between Russia and the US, and thus I can determine that there would be no benefit to boosting our relations with the Americans at this present time.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

In case it needs spelling out, I am commercially interested in the resources found in Qinghai. I have no wish to build factories there, and nor is it feasible. They also fall naturally within the nipponoshpere.
As to the US, I would have thought it self evident that Japan either needs to maintain amicable relations with, or enter a war footing with a nation that is expanding into the pacific. Their recent actions during the Choseon War demonstrate they are more than happy to intervene militarily in what is, rightfully, our sphere.

- Kusaribe

---

[Economy]

In case it needs spelling out, I am commercially interested in the resources found in Qinghai. I have no wish to build factories there, and nor is it feasible. They also fall naturally within the nipponoshpere.

It is obvious that any industrial investment would not be feasible at this time, but as China is a vast country, the potential market for railways is thus obvious.

As to the US, I would have thought it self evident that Japan either needs to maintain amicable relations with, or enter a war footing with a nation that is expanding into the pacific. Their recent actions during the Choseon War demonstrate they are more than happy to intervene militarily in what is, rightfully, our sphere.

I believe that Japan's principal antagonist at this time is Russia, and if not Russia then France, who holds sway over the Dutch and therefore by extension, the Dutch East Indies - an area which the Jiyu Minken Undo have repeatedly called for us to annex, despite such a prospect being moronic to say the very least. If one must choose - and one must - between boosting relations with two nations who are antagonistic towards Russia and France, our great rivals, and one which has a favourable opinion towards said rivals, then the former is to be preferred.

-- Hosokawa-dono

It is obvious that any industrial investment would not be feasible at this time, but as China is a vast country, the potential market for railways is thus obvious.
((@naxhi24 is rail allowed to be built in foreign countries by economists, and or government, and if so which department?))

I believe that Japan's principal antagonist at this time is Russia, and if not Russia then France, who holds sway over the Dutch and therefore by extension, the Dutch East Indies - an area which the Jiyu Minken Undo have repeatedly called for us to annex, despite such a prospect being moronic to say the very least. If one must choose - and one must - between boosting relations with two nations who are antagonistic towards Russia and France, our great rivals, and one which has a favourable opinion towards said rivals, then the former is to be preferred.

-- Hosokawa-dono

No, the Dutch are in hoc to the Germans. Yes Russia is clearly a major threat and must be combated, in my opinion, with hostility. It would therefore make sense to seek diplomatic solutions with a slightly lesser threat, that we may concentrate on the greater.

-Kusaribe

Yes Russia is clearly a major threat and must be combated, in my opinion, with hostility. It would therefore make sense to seek diplomatic solutions with a slightly lesser threat, that we may concentrate on the greater.

Once again we must prioritise our diplomatic efforts. It is infinitely more valuable for us to boost relations with Britain or Germany than it is to do so with the United States, who is friendly to the Russians and boasts a weaker military than our own, let alone that of Russia.

-- Hosokawa-dono

((Ballot change))

Budget: No--->Boycott

[Military]

I see that the "Leader" of the Opposition is little more than the puppet of Lord Satake.

-- Hosokawa-dono

I see that the "Leader" of the Opposition is little more than the puppet of Lord Satake.

-- Hosokawa-dono

I have seen some documents that suggest a boycott can be very effective.

Now please stop insulting me, Hosokawa-dono.

Directive from the Interior Ministry

It is vital to assist our burgeoning industry to the fullest potential, both in the cities and in more rural locations that might otherwise have difficulty industrialising.
The importance of rail cannot be understated and thus the government shall further expand existing lines and commission entirely new ones.

Focuses
Chubu - Craftsmen
Kanto - Craftsmen
Kyushu - Craftsmen
Tohoku - Craftsmen

Rail
To better exploit the coal deposit in the upper reaches of the Horonai River, a line from Horonai to the port of Muroran shall be built.
To ensure rail is brought to all parts of Japan establish a 10km Takahama - Matsuyamashi line in Shikoku.
All existing rail shall be improved and expanded where necessary.
Build a Pyongyang - Chongjin line for speedy transport along the northern front of Choseon.
((Build rail everywhere in Japan and Korea, expand rail everywhere, when those builds/expansions are done, expand again))

(Militarist)
(No Bonus)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(Private letter to the Prime Minister)

To the Most Honourable Prince Date

I have noted your recent appointments to the Ministries erroneously named my father, Hirakuni, who retired from the public life before the last elections, and has since joined my most revered ancestors. Whilst my family takes great pride that my father's name is still so prominent in your esteemed mind, I take it that this was an error and that you intended to appoint myself as the Minister for Commerce. I shall work upon that assumption as there is no other logical conclusion to be drawn and shall perform my duties as Minister for Commerce accordingly.

Your faithful servant

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(Private letter to Kusaribe)

To the Most Honourable Minister for the Interior

It has come to my attention that your Ministry has recently issued a directive in respect of our great nation's rail network. Whilst such enthusiasm is laudable, I note that it is beyond the purview of your Ministry's jurisdiction to dabble in such works which properly fall within the ambit of the Ministry of Commerce insofar as they relate to Japan proper and the Governor General of Korea insofar as they relate to our recent acquisition. I would humbly request that your refrain from interfering in other Ministers' bailiwicks lest you find they start interfering in yours.

Your faithful colleague

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki
Minister for Commerce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Announcement by the Ministry for Commerce

The Ministry for Commerce wishes to clarify that the recent Directive from the Ministry of the interior contained a typographical error in the inclusion of orders for rail works. That part of the directive is to be ignored although the Ministry for Commerce applauds the foresight and wisdom of the Minister of the Interior for his encouragement of our factories which will form the backbone of our Empire, providing the arms and ships for our military forces to bring Civilisation to Asia.

In lieu, the Ministry issues the following Work Orders:

Rail Upgrades: All existing rail lines are to be upgraded in Chugoku, Kansai and Tohuku to better serve our people and industry.
New Rail Lines: It is with great pride that the Ministry orders to construction of new rail lines in Hokkaido and Shikoku, with the rail works to continue until they have reached the same level of modernity as the existing lines in Chubu, so that all Japanese may enjoy the same quality of rail service.

The Ministry is awaiting information from the Governor General of Korea as to whether he seeks our assistance in reviewing the rail service and industries of Korea to help that people enjoy the advances which Japan has to offer. ((Could I please get a screenshot of the infrastructure of Korea and details of its factories as it was not in the screenshots loaded))

Finally, the Ministry applauds the continued growth of our factories in Nippon itself and encourages our industrialists to explore building new works in Korea. However, our priority must be on our homeland. Whilst not necessary to intervene at this stage, the Ministry will be carefully investigating the investment of our industrialists in building new factories or expanding existing ones to ensure that Japan and its people always comes first.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki
Minister for Commerce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(Private letter to Kusaribe)

To the Most Honourable Minister for the Interior

It has come to my attention that your Ministry has recently issued a directive in respect of our great nation's rail network. Whilst such enthusiasm is laudable, I note that it is beyond the purview of your Ministry's jurisdiction to dabble in such works which properly fall within the ambit of the Ministry of Commerce insofar as they relate to Japan proper and the Governor General of Korea insofar as they relate to our recent acquisition. I would humbly request that your refrain from interfering in other Ministers' bailiwicks lest you find they start interfering in yours.

Your faithful colleague

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki
Minister for Commerce

((Private letter to Yamamoto))

To the Honourable Lord Yamamoto,

I believe you are mistaken in regards to the extent of the purview of the Ministry of Commerce, I made extensive inquires as to the exact nature of the office whilst I held it myself, and rail did not appear to be amongst it's remit. I will admit to being unsure as into who's remit Choseon rail falls, but it cannot hurt to make plans in case.

Regards,
Kusaribe Kinzo

Hajamoto Yoshihiro Zaibatsu Economic Plan
Starting Balance = $31,675
Assets = One Kyushu Cement Factory [$2,730], One Kyushu Steel Factory ( Under Construction ) [$13,340], One Tohuku Explosives Factory ( Under Construction ) [$12,670]

I. Upgrade Cement Factory in Kyushu [-$2,730] ((I have posted this multiple times but as so far nothing has happened, any reason why?))
II. Grant the Japanese Liquor Company $18,180 [-$18,180]
III. Grant the Southern Lumber Company $
IV. Grant the Japanese Luxury Commodities Company $
V. Invest $0 in the Glass Company

End Balance = $12,765

Japanese Liquor Company Economic Plan
Starting Balance = $18,180
Assets = Three Chubu Liquor Distilleries [$27,270], One Chubu Winery [$9,120], One Tohuku Glass Factory ( Under Construction ) [$7,470], One Tohuku Liquor Distillery
( Under Construction ) [$9,090]
Approximated Share Value = $711.3

I. Upgrade the Liquor Distillery in Chubu [-$9,090]
II. Begin Construction of a Liquor Distillery in Japanese Shikoku [$9,090]

End Balance = $0

Southern Lumber Company Economic Plan
Starting Balance = $0
Assets = One Lumber Mill in Chugoku [$7,840], One Lumber Mill in Shikoku [$7,840], One Lumber Mill in Kansai [$7,840]
Approximated Share Value = $235.2

End Balance = $0

Japanese Luxury Commodities Company Economic Plan
Starting Balance = $0
Assets = Two Fabric Factories in Kanto [$14,300], One Fabric Factory in Kansai [$7,150], One Kyushu Luxury Clothes Factory ( Under Construction ) [$7,150]
Approximated Share Value = $286

End Balance = $

Glass Company Economic Plan
Ownership = 50% [$14,940]
Assets = Three Kyushu Glass Factories [$22,410], One Kanto Glass Factory ( Under Construction ) [$7,470]
Approximated Share Value = $298.8

No Actions Taken -- Due to lack of funding

Required Investment = $0
Personal Investment = $0

HAJAMOTO INDUSTRIES END BALANCE = $12,765

((EDIT: Removed Construction Orders for Already Taken Sites))

Last edited:
From the desk of the Minister of War:

My first act as Minister of War is to call for yet another three armies of 27k men to be raised, in the same configuration as the remainder of our army. We have the manpower and only a strong army will allow us to defend our home islands and other possessions from the Nanban threat. With an expanded army, we can spread our influence much farther. I also request that if any naval bases are not fully upgraded, that they be expanded when the funds are available. Naval bases in Korea should also be built to ensure better protection of the waters around Korea.

We must remain ever vigilant. We have proven our worth and our ability to adopt the weapons and ideas of the Nanban through our war with Korea. Now Korea is ours and the Korean people will never need to fear the Nanban again, by the grace of our illustrious Emperor, for we will protect them. Yet Korea is just one of many within Asia who have been a victim of Nanban greed and must be liberated. Many of our brethren to the south have been victims for decades, if not centuries. The Dutch hang onto Indonesia as though it rightfully belongs to them, while Russia threatens the people of Brunei. Even though we are indeed strong, I am not certain we are ready to face either of these opponents. The Dutch are said to be protected by the Germans, a formidable foe. The Germans may not be known for their naval strength and perhaps could not even reach us, but could not the same have been said for the Turks when they invaded Kyushu? I fear that Russia is too near our home islands to risk an encounter as of yet, for they are well known for their large military force. Instead I suggest an alternative. Many years ago when the British threatened our very sovereignty, the Spanish intervened to keep us free from their grasp. At the time, I thought of the Spanish as saviours. Now that I have seen how the Belgians and Americans tried to cling to their hold on Korea when we invaded, I now realize that the Spanish merely intervened for their own selfish reasons. They cared nothing for our own well-being and surely did not do it from the kindness of their own hearts. They wished to exploit us, to siphon our resources and flood our nation with their goods. Now we shall show them that Nippon will never be subjugated again and that we will not let our fellow Asians face the same fate. I say we invade the Philippines and bring them into our glorious empire so that the people of those islands may bask in the prosperity that we can share with them. Just as we intend to share our wealth and knowledge with the Koreans as benevolent guardians, let us do the same for the people of the Philippines. They have suffered under Spanish rule for long enough.

((I'm not quite sure on the CB here, but I believe it is the Place in the Sun one. Correct me if I'm wrong. Basically I want us to fabricate a CB that lets us take one of Spain's colonies.))

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki, Minister of War

(Militarist)
(No Bonus)

f((Private letter to Lord Yamamoto))

Most Honourable Minister of Commerce,

The General Government of Chosen would gladly seek the assistance of the officials and economists of the Ministry of Commerce in review of the industries and rail service of Korea. We believe that creation of modern railway within the borders of this region would be of great use - not only because it would make the transportation of our troops and good more effective, but because such results of technological progress would assist to built ties between the folk of Nippon and Chosen, demonstrating the latter that Japanese government brings it modernization and development.

Your faithful colleague,
Asano Hisanori
Count of Hiroshima
Governor General of Chosen

((Private letters to Lord Ito and Minister Kusaribe))

Most honorable Minister of Interior,
Most honorable Minister of War

While I am generally in support of the plans regarding the building of naval bases and railways within Chosen, I must note that I am slightly surprised that the Ministries of the noble gentlemen did not even ask the opinion of the General Government before voicing their plans regarding Chosen. I wish to remind my good colleagues and friends that I am the representative of His Majesty and Prince Date themselves within Chosen, that is a special entity consisting of recently conquered people that have their own cultural peculiarities and that it important for the center to keep the expertize of the local authorities in mind before making fundamental decisions regarding the area. Otherwise, due to the lack of the information in the capital and the cooperation and coordination of activities between the General Government and the Ministries problems may arise. In the years to come, if Korea is to be Japanized, such special attention and special governmental bodies may stop to be necessary - but currently we need to be careful and weight all our options before acting within the area.

With a patriotic greeting,
Asano Hisanori
Count of Hiroshima

I cannot go along with the Minister of War's unilateral decision to declare war on the Kingdom of Spain without any consultation with Parliament or His Majesty's Government. That is not his prerogative.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

Hosokawa-dono, in fact, in correspondence with the Art. 13 of the Constitution, it is only the Emperor who is to declare war, not the Ministries. Imperial Diet or any other bodies. Therefore, the Minister of War, of course, cannot unilateraly declare war on Spain.

- Asano Hisanori
Count of Hiroshima