• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Final Tally:

Guide: Ito/Masahiro/Abstain

Minister of War: 10/1/4
Ito Katashi is now Minister of War

Player Actions Needed: Vote on the budget.

Budget: Yes/No/Abstain

[Specialty]
[Political Bonus]
[Economic Bonus]
[Bonus]

Political Bonuses:
Tempest: +2
Michaelangelo: +2
EmperorBasilius: +2
LoggingOut: +1

Economic Bonus:
mrlifeless: +3

Voting ends Sunday at 9:00 PM EST or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT. A play-through shall follow.

Technology Plan
1.Begin investigation of national Machine Guns production
2.Encourage philosophical inquiry about Nationalism and Imperialism
3..Encourage philosophical inquiry of Empiricism
4.Create new guide-lines for Organized Factories
Fund research about Inorganic Chemistry
Procure new Breach loading artilery for the millatry ((Iron Muzzle loaded and then iron breach loaded)).

((Private - Opposition))

I invite the members of the Opposition to join in a policy of abstentionism and refusal to participate in government votes until Lord Date either steps down from his position as Chief of General Staff or Prime Minister. There is no need for a man to occupy such a role, regardless of his history, for the military is an institution separate from the halls of the government. That is why I advocate for members of the Jiyudo and RPP to refuse to take their seats for the foreseeable future, that the Japanese people might realize the illegitimacy of the current institution and that Lord Date may feel the pressure to return to a less despotic system. If the Honorable Chairman of the Jiyudo would so kindly open a vote on the matter following this vote on the budget, that would be ideal.

Lord Chief Justice Satake Yoshizane

[Politician]
[Masters of the Shogunate, +3VP]

Reactions:
((Private - Opposition))

I invite the members of the Opposition to join in a policy of abstentionism and refusal to participate in government votes until Lord Date either steps down from his position as Chief of General Staff or Prime Minister. There is no need for a man to occupy such a role, regardless of his history, for the military is an institution separate from the halls of the government. That is why I advocate for members of the Jiyudo and RPP to refuse to take their seats for the foreseeable future, that the Japanese people might realize the illegitimacy of the current institution and that Lord Date may feel the pressure to return to a less despotic system. If the Honorable Chairman of the Jiyudo would so kindly open a vote on the matter following this vote on the budget, that would be ideal.

Lord Chief Justice Satake Yoshizane

[Politician]
[Masters of the Shogunate, +3VP]

((This is a most brilliant plan, and I think I speak for everyone in the government when I say that it has our full and total support.))

((This is a most brilliant plan, and I think I speak for everyone in the government when I say that it has our full and total support.))

((Oh, I don't think the government cares, seeing as you could pass whatever you like regardless. 50%+1 is as good as 100% in a system like this.))

((Oh, I don't think the government cares, seeing as you could pass whatever you like regardless. 50%+1 is as good as 100% in a system like this.))

((True, but whereas no boycott would make it likely that the government would be able to pass legislation, a boycott would make it a certainty. I'd take a certain outcome over a likely one any day.))

((True, but whereas no boycott would make it likely that the government would be able to pass legislation, a boycott would make it a certainty. I'd take a certain outcome over a likely one any day.))
((And thats why boycotting votes is stupid.))

((It's worked mighty fine throughout history. Are you not familiar with the storied history of abstentionism?))

((Normally I'd ask you to name a single instance of it working as your assertion there is absolute crap, but that would likely derail the AAR into a debate on Apartheid and Irish Independence and I'm sure Naxhi would not like that.))

Following the election of Ito Katashi, Prince Date officially releases the list of his cabinet members, largely in line with previous reports and rumours, with only a handful of changes:

Prime Minister: Date Munenari (Riccardo93)

Minister of Foreign Affairs: Hosokawa Mitsuhide (LordTempest)
Minister of War: Ito Katashi (Michaelangelo)
Chief of the General Staff: Date Munenari (Riccardo93)
Deputy Chief of Staff: Asano Hisanori (Marcshalk)
Minister of Finance: Nishimura Hiroshi (EmperorBasilius)
Minister of the Interior: Kusaribe Kinzo (Keinwyn)
Minister of Justice: Takeshi Ohba (LoggingOut)
Minister of Education: Kishiwada Yukio (mrlifeless)
Minister of Commerce: Yamamoto Hirakuni (Davout)
Governor-General of Chosen: Asano Hisanori (Marschalk)

((And there we have it; government fully done and announced, with only one big change because I'm a dumdum and forgot to do it first time around))

Despite the lack of support hitherto offered from Japan's business community, I hereby announce that the Japanese government shall be taking diplomatic steps to draw the Qing Emperor closer to our own sphere of influence. I leave it up to the discretion of the Ministers for Commerce and Finance as to whether or not the Japanese state shall invest in China at this time.

- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

((Influence on Qing China set to High.))

Despite the lack of support hitherto offered from Japan's business community, I hereby announce that the Japanese government shall be taking diplomatic steps to draw the Qing Emperor closer to our own sphere of influence. I leave it up to the discretion of the Ministers for Commerce and Finance as to whether or not the Japanese state shall invest in China at this time.

((We still have a truce thanks to the war in Korea, IIRC, so we can't influence China.))

Influencing the Chinise is useless, their sheer numbers can brush aside anything we try. ((We can't influence China due to a massive population difference penalty, and if we do they will crash our economy, I would recomend Denmark,Eygpt, Colombia,Brazil or the Ottomans.))

Influencing the Chinise is useless, their sheer numbers can brush aside anything we try. ((We can't influence China due to a massive population difference penalty, and if we do they will crash our economy, I would recomend Denmark,Eygpt, Colombia,Brazil or the Ottomans.))

((I want to be realistic here for RP purposes. Realistically, Japan can't influence any nation outside of Asia: the only two which might make sense are the canal nations, but as Naxhi says that's a losing battle, or the Netherlands, who are in someone's sphere IIRC. Influencing one of China's substates makes sense, as does influencing a nation like Dai Nam, but of the two China is clearly the more beneficial asset from a military pov.))

((I want to be realistic here for RP purposes. Realistically, Japan can't influence any nation outside of Asia: the only two which might make sense are the canal nations, but as Naxhi says that's a losing battle, or the Netherlands, who are in someone's sphere IIRC. Influencing one of China's substates makes sense, as does influencing a nation like Dai Nam, but of the two China is clearly the more beneficial asset from a military pov.))

((One cannot influence a nation with a larger population. Qing has a larger population than Japan.))

May I suggest influencing Qinghai? Their natural resources are abundant, and they are far enough away from the central government that we should have little problem gaining traction there. Furthermore it appearers the united states has been expanding her interests in the area. This must be stopped.
Whilst on the subject of the US, does the Foreign Secretary have any plans to paper over the cracks in our recently strained relationship over Choseon?

- Kusaribe

May I suggest influencing Quinghai? Their natural resources are abundant, and they are far enough away from the central government that we should have little problem gaining traction there. Furthermore it appearers the united states has been expanding her interests in the area. This must be stopped.
Whilst on the subject of the US, does the Foreign Secretary have any plans to paper over the cracks in our recently strained relationship over Choseon?

- Kusaribe

I remind the Interior Minister that the government is committed to extending our influence in China, and will seriously consider any proposal for extending our influence in any province or region from Manchuria to Guangdong. Obviously though we would prefer to act in concert with Japanese commercial interests, so should said interests seek to invest in a particular province, such as Qinghai, said province would become the priority for our diplomatic efforts.

As to the United States, our relationship has always been one of pure convenience. Now that we have broken free of their domination and asserted our independence over the Korea issue, the US lacks any real presence in Asia, while powers such as Russia are stepping up their influence in Borneo and most worryingly, Manchuria. One can assume based on the recent Alaska purchase that there is no animosity between Russia and the US, and thus I can determine that there would be no benefit to boosting our relations with the Americans at this present time.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

I remind the Interior Minister that the government is committed to extending our influence in China, and will seriously consider any proposal for extending our influence in any province or region from Manchuria to Guangdong. Obviously though we would prefer to act in concert with Japanese commercial interests, so should said interests seek to invest in a particular province, such as Qinghai, said province would become the priority for our diplomatic efforts.

As to the United States, our relationship has always been one of pure convenience. Now that we have broken free of their domination and asserted our independence over the Korea issue, the US lacks any real presence in Asia, while powers such as Russia are stepping up their influence in Borneo and most worryingly, Manchuria. One can assume based on the recent Alaska purchase that there is no animosity between Russia and the US, and thus I can determine that there would be no benefit to boosting our relations with the Americans at this present time.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary
If you want to act in concert with our commercial interests, then why not Denmark, I just so happen to own the entirety of their industry.