• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((
I'm tuckered out from the weekend, so I'll skip even the minimal amount of RP I usually do. Sorry!

Chancellor's Plan: Yes
Tuscan Call-to-arms: Abstain
Tuscan Marriage: Option 2 ))

The Tuscans unjustifiably declare an act of aggression against the holy father and expect us to sin alongside them? Hordes of wrathful Poles are just waiting to stream into the Balkans should we join this war. How can His Majesty claim to be protector of the Greeks if we are prepared to simply abandon them for a sinful ally?

- Armand Sastre

Chancellor's Plan: No
Tuscan Call-to-arms: Decline
Tuscan Marriage: Option 3/Option 4

[Noble]

"Give him one of your bullets, it seems interested in it," Sancho ordered to one of his men named Martinez.

Martinez gingerly placed a bullet from his arquebus into the gorillae's hands. The gorillae examined it with a puzzled look on its face.

"Such simple creatures these gorillae are," Sancho said. "Yet they resemble man in many ways. Hanno did not describe this in his writings."

"You think it will hurt us?" Martinez asked. He had good reason for this fear as the rest of the crew was miles behind. Sancho had insisted on venturing into the jungle, however.

"It seems peaceful. Let's observe it."

The gorillae continued to examine the bullet. Then it slowly reached out its hand toward Martinez.

"It wants you to touch it," Sacho informed him. "This must be a custom among these creatures."

Martinez complied and touched the gorillae. However, the creature jerked its hand back on contact.

"It still does not trust you. Give it some salted beef."

The gorillae chowed down the beef with relish. Both men spent the next few hours trying to communicate with the gorillae and giving it baubles.

After a certain amount of time, Sancho convinced the gorillae to come to their camp. When they returned Sancho ordered his men to capture the beast and cage it. The creature began screaming hysterically.

"Poor thing, it is scared. But it will be happy when we take it from this primitive jungle and show it civilization!"

The next day Sancho led a raiding party deeper into the jungle to find a female gorillae for the male specimen. Unfortunately, they were ambushed by a whole herd of angry gorillae and ended up shooting all of them.

And so the TPTC received the gift of gorillae.

((Happy Colombus Day!))

Reactions:
As Maxime was looking through the usual reports, he noticed one coming from Alejandro Sancho... Those were always interesting, and mostly brought good news. This time it was something about a gorillae. After reading it he realized a gorilae was the big creature coming from the New World. This was not the first time he heard that name. Cardinal Mòdena wanted one for himself... But maybe it wouldn't be wise to sell this beast without Monsieur Sanchos knowledge approval. There was also Aedan O'Connery... His person intrigued Maxime. He just showed up and started a small trading empire. Maybe Maxime could exploit it for good of TPTC. If not O'Connery could mess with what Maxime has achieved if relations between them would go bad...

A letter to Alejandro Sancho

Monsieur Sancho,
I wish to congratulate you on you amazing success in the discovery of the New World. I'm very happy to support your expeditions with whatever I can provide. You cannot allow that damn Lübecker to beat you. Just because he is a son of your mentor doesn't mean you should treat him kindly. I will try to persuade the King to put more funding into your missions, and less into his. There is also the matter of your gift. It is a very intriguing creature, if I say so myself. If I recall correctly Cardinal Mòdena offered a big prize for one of those things, and while you brought only one back, the bounty is really tempting. That is why I'm asking for your opinion. The prize of course would go to you, as this is your discovery after all.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon

((Hmm, currently trying to figure out how to put my character into this a bit more easily, but until then, I'll just have him do some business stuff))

Most of the day was spent with Adean attempting to improve the shop he had purchased in Athens, at a fairly low price, may I add. The man would have been glad with a few pretty pennies, it seemed, and now he had about half the store's income that'd come in every year. The Irish merchant was now attempting to buy supplies, and was busily trying to find a way to get the store more publicity. Yes, the store wasn't that famous, but with a bit of work, like he thought before, he had bought it for a little challenge, and a challenge it seemed to be. With that settled, he'd have to start producing some type of advertisement for the store, so, grabbing a pen and some ink, he began to write down a rough draft of what the advertisement paper would be. It would be released after the renovation of the store, so he had quite a bit of time to finish it. After a while, he examined the writing, reading his penmanship with a slight smile. The paper went like this

"Grand Reopening!

As you may or may not know, the store, which is now being renamed to The Young Phoenix
(the name is still being decided), has been closed for quite a while, but now it has reopened and is gladly accepting customers! Under new management, the store will provide a large selection of foreign objects from all across Europe. The store will provide food and drink, daily supplies, pen and paper, and just about anything you desire. Some of these items you won't be able to find as commonly in Athens, so it'd be wise to come in while supplies last, we hope to see you there at The Young Phoenix."

Yes, it needed some major improvement if it wanted to draw any actual customers, but it was a decent rough draft for now, so, satisfied, Adean put it away for now and went through some daily reports that he often had to go through, and usually there'd be a problem or two that needed personal attention, which is usually the reason why he traveled across the Mediterranean. He looked through the reports, the time now flying by as his eyes scanned the many paper pieces.

Reactions:
As Maxime was looking through the usual reports, he noticed one coming from Alejandro Sancho... Those were always interesting, and mostly brought good news. This time it was something about a gorillae. After reading it he realized a gorilae was the big creature coming from the New World. This was not the first time he heard that name. Cardinal Mòdena wanted one for himself... But maybe it wouldn't be wise to sell this beast without Monsieur Sanchos knowledge approval. There was also Aedan O'Connery... His person intrigued Maxime. He just showed up and started a small trading empire. Maybe Maxime could exploit it for good of TPTC. If not O'Connery could mess with what Maxime has achieved if relations between them would go bad...

A letter to Alejandro Sancho

Monsieur Sancho,
I wish to congratulate you on you amazing success in the discovery of the New World. I'm very happy to support your expeditions with whatever I can provide. You cannot allow that damn Lübecker to beat you. Just because he is a son of your mentor doesn't mean you should treat him kindly. I will try to persuade the King to put more funding into your missions, and less into his. There is also the matter of your gift. It is a very intriguing creature, if I say so myself. If I recall correctly Cardinal Mòdena offered a big prize for one of those things, and while you brought only one back, the bounty is really tempting. That is why I'm asking for your opinion. The prize of course would go to you, as this is your discovery after all.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,

On a stop at the Azores Sancho receives this letter and hastily replies.

Dear Maxime,

Yes

Sancho

To His Eminence Cardinal Mòdena,

Your Eminence,
I have a gorillae, and if I remember correctly you expressed a desire for this beast. So I would request the reward that you have proposed, and I will send the creature to you. But one thing, do not send the money to me, but to the great explorer Alejandro Sancho. He is the the who discovered the beast, and he deserves the reward.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,

((Time to end the vote. Here are the results:

Chancellor's Plan: Failed
Tuscan Call-to-arms: Honour
Tuscan Marriage: Option 1

Looks like we have a war to wage and a Medici queen in our future. I also had to check through all the posts again to make sure that no one actually asked to colonize the New World. Unless we colonize the one province smack-dab in the middle of Castile's colonies as requested, it looks like we're colonizing Africa for now. Oh well. I find the lack of desire to colonize the New World disturbing. :p))

(( I find the lack of desire to colonize the New World disturbing. :p))

((Others even find it depressing... :(
Well, more time with his new companion :p))

Name: Antonio di Arezzo
Date of Birth: 3 April 1501 in Arezzo
Class: Noble
Religion:
Catholic

Bio: Antonio is the second son of Cesare di Arezzo, a noble from Arezzo, Tuscany. He studied at the Universitá di Bologna, the oldest university in the world, where he became interested in the world of finances. After his studies, he started working for the Bank of Florence and represented their interests in Milan. Even though, Antonio is quite young, he was quite successful in Milan. The Bank of Florence was looking to increase her market share in Iberia. It runs a successful office in Porto, Portugal and sent Antonio to Valencia in order to represent the Bank of Florence's interests in Aragon.
Antonio is unmarried but his still young and he is confident to find the right woman that his father would accept during his new adventure in Iberia.

((It should be quite obvious now that I have no interest in continuing to play as Francesco Chiave. Francesco lives peacefully Venice. He has no regrets leaving Aragon because trade without any interference from the TPTC has turned out to be more lucrative for Francesco. Otherwise he would have returned.))

Reactions:
(( Gotta explore the Caribbean first. My family likes islands! ))

Reactions:
((Private letter to Aedan O'Connery))

Dear Aedan O'Connery,

I am writing you on behalf of the The Bank of Tuscany whose interest I represent in the Kingdom of Aragon. We would like to make an investment in your business. We have analysed it and it seems most profitable. Therefore we offer you the following contract:
  1. The Bank of Tuscany will supply you with the necessary funds to set up a trade company. You have free use over the funds.
  2. The Bank of Tuscany will not demand the money back if the trade company is up and running successfully within the next five years.
  3. The Bank of Tuscany will be given 20% of any profits your trade company generates.

We have the utmost trust in your capabilities and hope you accept our offer by signing the proposed contract. You can sign it either in Valencia or in our headquarter in Firenze. This could be start to a wonderful business relationship.

All the best,
Antonio di Arezzo

Adean was currently in his home in The Baleares. When he had received the letter, he gave it a look over and smiled slightly. A business offer? Well, that'd certainly be interesting, would it not? It certainly seemed like a good choice. He saw no real cons to this deal, none at all, really. So, pulling out a pen and paper, he began to write down a reply to the letter. While just showing up would most likely be the best, he felt like he should let them know when and, more importantly, where he was going to sign the contract. He thought Valencia was a good enough place, so that's what he decided.

Dear Antonio Di Arezzo,

I believe that accepting this contract is all in my best interests. So, by the time you receive this letter, I will most likely be on my way towards Valencia, where I will sign the contract and seal the deal. I hope this can be the start to the wonderful business relationship you foresee.

Until we meet again, best regards
Aedean O'Connery

With the letter finished, he quickly sent it back off to where it had came from and had gotten his necessities for the trip to Valencia, which hopefully wouldn't be that long of a trip.

Reactions:
((Private letter to Aedan O'Connery))

Dear Aedan O'Connery,

I must say I'm impressed with your little trading empire. I can see that you know a lot about the matters of trade. That's why I have a proposition for you. Maybe you have heard of me. But let me briefly introduce myself. I'm Maxime de Saint-Pierre, head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Comapny. I think cooperation between us would be most profitable. If you would like to step up the cooperation I would be very happy to give you a position in my company's council. I do not want to pressure you, so I think it would be best to discuss the details privately.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre

While Aedan was currently packing up for his little journey to Valencia, he had received yet another letter. This wasn't necessarily uncommon for him, but he was a bit curious as to what this letter would hold. He opened it and examined the words written upon the paper. Another business offer? And from the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, no less. Well, he's heard of the company, but he has honestly never given them much attention, preferring to stay in his own business, especially when it has to do with other businesses, or politics, which he'd only take part in if it were of his interest. He quickly grabbed a pen and paper and replied to this letter as well.

Dear Maxime de Saint-Pierre,

I have heard of you before, yes, and I have also heard of your company. While I am rather pleased with you taking interest in my trading 'empire', I must say that, with some hesitation, I refuse this offer. I have recently been offered another business opportunity by someone else. While joining the Trans-Pyrenean trading company might be profitable, I am not sure if this offer would be in my best interest. Besides, I do not believe I belong in such a company as yours. I do not mean that offensively, I just do not feel my business would be best fit. I am sorry, but I must decline this offer.

Best regards,
Aedan O'Connery

With the letter now finally out of the way, Aedan could finish his preparations to set up a journey towards Valencia. Within a few more hours or so, he was on a boat heading towards the mainland Iberian peninsula, his destination being a small port in the province of Valencia

Reactions:
"Son of a---! I thought this king ruled with equality in mind!"

Less funding than usual? Something seems fishy about that... Sancho, or someone on friendly terms with him, must have influenced the king someway or another. Ferdinand would not tolerate this. He also heard something about a new merchant attempting a trade company...?

Another report files in.

"WHAT!?!?"

He almost immediately throws this one into the sea. Sancho had joined the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company. Somebody was attempting to sabotage him, that was for sure. Was it Sancho himself? Or the only person Sancho is on good terms with... what was his name? Maximme de Sankt-Pißere?

<letter>
Hallo, Maxime--whatever your name was.

I am suspecting that you are involved with Alejandro Sancho, by some logic that I do not care to explain right now. In that case, desist immediately on your attempt to sabotage me and cut all ties with Sancho. My father knew the King of Aragon rules with equality in mind, but you are attempting to turn him against his ideals. The King's favor will surely turn against you and your (albeit influential) company of greed, even though it is crown-sanctioned as it is. So please, I ask again: desist from your attempt. I have nothing on Sancho; why would he have a hunch on me?

With regards,
FXL
</letter>

((Exploration plan:

-Mexico
-Panama
-Chesapeake
-Saint Lawrence
-North Sea))

((I picked Mexico and Panama already. :mad:))