• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your majesty,

I will agree to the Grand Admiral's plan, but would propose that at the next available time that there be a bill to fund the increase of our capacity to support a navy. The Baleares would be an ideal location for these facilities.

And I wholly support the Act of Uniformity. Indeed, you should regulate the order of the Mass, perhaps regulated via a Book of Common Prayer?

Long live the King!
Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

(( Grand Admiral's Plan: Yes
Act of Uniformity: Yes ))

((O5 objected after the voting started. Isn't that too late? I edit my vote but this is odd that a vote changes after voting has started. Imagine someone objects right before voting would have ended. That doesn't seem right!))

((O5 objected after the voting started. Isn't that too late? I edit my vote but this is odd that a vote changes after voting has started.))

((People can object to plans within 24 hours of them being proposed. If I made the deadline for objecting to plans the same as for proposing them, ministers could just propose them at the last minute to avoid having them objected too. The hope is that ministers post their plans earlier rather than later, thus giving time to object to them before the deadline ends. Obviously that doesn't always happen.))

Your Majesty,

I wholeheartedly support the Prince's proposal. As for the Grand Admiral, his plan seems to overstretch our finances - and while naval superiority against Venice might be good to have, as long as we have the superior army I do not think we have anything to fear.

((Grand Admiral's Plan: No
Act of Uniformity: Yes))

Your humble servant,
Vincenzo Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria

[landed noble, diplomat, minister]

((Private))
Francesco could not believe that the head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company backstabbed him. He questioned the loyalty of Maxime and wonders whether staying in the TPTC made any sense for him. He thoroughly enjoys selling Good for the TPTC but he feels that without loyality he cannot trust Maxime anymore and trust is the basis for business.
Maxime's argumentation about the cost to be build the ships are ridiculously exaggerated and Francesco feels there is something deeper that led to Maxime objecting his plan. Maybe Maxime was jelous of Francesco's successful trading endeavours in Italy but why would he be? After all, he always paid the agreed cut to the company..
For days Francesco thought about why Maxime objected his plan. It was an awful feeling to know that he is working for an organization whose head not only seems to dislike him but openly questions his abilities being Grand Admiral. Why should he continue paying a share of his profits to the TPTC if the TPTC does not back him? Was there a future for him in the TPTC? Only time knows the answer to that.

Moncada-Spain.jpg

The initiative of His Highness can only be applauded. It is time to remind our Realm that it should live in accordance with the rules set by God and the institutions representing Him on Earth, the Papacy and the Roman Catholic Church. The day of an Aragonese subject, be he a lowly peasant or a mighty duke, should start with a prayer and end with a prayer - and laziness in such matters could only lead to moral decay. I must say that I, being entrusted by His Majesty with his troops, work with the chaplains attached to them to guarantee every man-at-arms gets neccessary spiritual guidance and remembers his Christian duties. Hopefully, if the King issues the Act of Uniformity, same would happen with the civilian citizenry.

Regarding the plan of the Grand Admiral, while I, as a General of His Majesties Army, believe that we, first of all, should concentrate on defending our interests in Castillia - but also agree that we should keep Venetia in mind and that making Aragon a leading naval power should be an objective. The question whether would overstretch our finances in case of war does not have a clear answer now - therefore, I would reserve my judgement until getting any additional evaluations from the interested parties.

- En Alfonso Narzis de Moncada, Count of Girona

(( Grand Admiral's Plan: Abstain
Act of Uniformity: Yes ))

[landed noble, general]

Regarding the plan of the Grand Admiral, while I, as a General of His Majesties Army, believe that we, first of all, should concentrate on defending our interests in Castillia - but also agree that we should keep Venetia in mind and that making Aragon a leading naval power should be an objective. The question whether would overstretch our finances in case of war does not have a clear answer now - therefore, I would reserve my judgement until getting any additional evaluations from the interested parties.

((Private letter to the Count of Girona))
Dear Count of Girona,
I very much agree with your concern that our primary focus should be defending our interests in Castilla. After all, Iberia is our country's homeland. The cost of building the ships I plan to commission is not as high as the Grandmaster makes you believe it is. The treasury is full and can easily afford to build those ships. Furthermore, in case of war with Castile and Burgundy, the royal treasurer could raise war taxes to increase our income while being at war. That extra income could then be used to hire mercenaries.
I have been over the numbers on more than a few occasions and I am more than confident that our treasury can afford to build the ships. This plan does not put the kingdom in danger. I kindly ask you to reconsider your vote in favor of the plan.
Should you have further questions about my plan then I invite you over to my family's mansion to discuss these in person.

Regards,
Francesco Chiave, Grand Admiral and Representative of the TPTC in Italy

((Private))
To most noble Count of Girona,
While I don't think Grand Admiral's plan is bad, it is just presented in a wrong time. It is widely known that ships are very costly, and the funds would be better spent on army. He may try to convince you that we are in a good financial position, we must remember that we only achieve it with because we do not pay fully for our soldiers. Going over our supply limit will drain more ducats the more ships we will have to support. We also can't forget that when our troops suffer casualties we will have to pay to reinforce the regiments which will put the treasury in even worse position. While we have defeated Castille in the past, we were only able to do so because of their army being stuck in Africa, this time their army is here, and it's almost as big as ours. We also cannot forget about the Portuguese and the Burgundians. The Grand Admiral's plan isn't a bad one, but it doesn't fit our current situation. I believe you wouldn't want to lead a demoralized army because were not able to fully pay the soldiers.
Maxime de Saints-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Comapny, Grandmaster of Aragon

My Liege,

Act of Uniformity: Yes
Grand Admirals Plan: No

Your Grace,
Jaume Limmona, Duke of Naples and Capua

((Private letter to Franceso Chiave)
To Mr Chiave,

I'm afraid that the TPTC will not be allowed to makes its offices in Italy in Napoli, for one you have wronged me by lacking the decency to refer to me by my correct title. And also the local merchants would be cut out by your mercantilist attitudes and my duties as Duke are not merely feudal to the King and Crown but also to my property holders and subjects beneath me, so for their benefit I will bar your offices from Naples. I have also instructed the Harbourmaster to prevent any traders flying your flag from entering the City and Duchy. I suggest you stick to Franco-Iberian trade, for the honest and loyal Italian subjects know better than to submit to your restrictive monopoly. I further implore you to cease all your operations in Italia for if I can, my ducal agents and guard will ensure that the freedom of trade and a merchant's independent liberty do not perish in this Crown.

Jaume Limmona, Duke of Naples and Capua.

((Private))

King Ferran paced around his chambers, reading the same letter over and over again. He'd been waiting months for this letter and now his plans would soon come to fruition. His attempts to sneak little Prince Ferran out of the kingdom while under the guise of visiting parts of the realm had failed miserably after pirates had intervened. Now he needed a new strategy, one that would assure that the boy never inherited the throne. Short of murder or kidnapping, the only legal way to get it done would be to get the boy to abdicate his claim to the throne. Knowing the boy, he would never do it willingly. He was too proud to give up a title he thought belonged to him next. Ferran had to give him a better offer. The letter in his hand provided that.

There was a knock on the King's door and then a portly teenage boy shuffled into the room. The 16-year-old Prince Ferran was still as short and fat as he had been three years ago. He truly did take after his mother. The boy waddled over to the King and said, "You wanted to see me, grandfather?"

King Ferran winced at the title. He was no grandfather, at least not of this pudgy boy. He didn't let that distract him from what he planned to do. "I have some wonderful news. You're to be married."

The boy's face lit up and his triple chin wobbled excitedly. "Who have you matched me with?"

Ferran couldn't help but smirk. The boy may not end up liking the conditions of this marriage. "You are to be married to Princess Anna, the daughter of the king of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor."

Little Ferran's chins looked like they were ready to crawl all the way up his face he was grinning so much. "That is quite the match. Our kingdom will be even more powerful with those blood ties, although Mother may not like me being married to the Bohemians who stole her family's title."

King Ferran wrapped his arm around the boy's shoulders, a difficult task due to the boy's vast size. "You see, that there is a little problem I wanted to talk to you about. The king of Bohemia has been quite concerned with your mother's family. It would seem that some of her siblings have been causing trouble recently over Silesia. The Emperor needs a means to strengthen his claim to the region to keep it under control. That's where you come in."

Little Ferran furrowed his brow, thinking over it for a second. It took a few moments for him to grasp the plan. "So by marrying his daughter, I would give him my mother's claim."

King Ferran felt like he should be giving the boy a treat like he would a dog. "Exactly. This marriage will do exactly that. You cement his rule over Silesia."

"That's good then. I hope the Princess is at least pretty." A glob of drool trailed out of the boy's mouth and the King scowled in disgust.

Before the boy could leave filled with hopes and dreams, King Ferran had to crush those and cement his own succession. "There is a catch though."

"What catch?"

Trying his best not to grin, King Ferran said, "While marrying Princess Anna does give the Bohemian king a stronger claim to Silesia, it does also present a problem. All children of your union would be Trastámaras, thus giving a foreign dynasty a claim on the throne. The Bohemian king cannot allow that."

"I'm not sure I'm following."

King Ferran rolled his eyes at the boy. He knew nothing of politics. Then again, the King was lying through his teeth anyway. He had indeed arranged a marriage for the boy with Princess Anna, but it had nothing to do with Silesia. The king of Bohemia had an iron grip on the region by now and surely had no use for some weak claim through a younger daughter of the late king of Silesia. All it had taken was the mention of a matrilineal marriage and the Bohemian king had eagerly accepted.

"For this marriage to go ahead, you must agree that all children of your union with Princess Anna will belong to her dynasty." King Ferran let the boy take in that information before hitting him with the crucial part. "Also, to ensure you don't threaten the stability of our own kingdom through such an arrangement, you must give up all claims to the kingdom of Aragon and the many titles I hold."

It didn't take long for Little Ferran to process that last part. "But I am to be king! You can't take away my right as heir!"

The glare King Ferran gave the boy silenced him in an instant. "Your uncle is my heir, not you. This has the added benefit of ensuring you don't threaten his reign either."

Little Ferran stomped his feet like a child half his age giving a temper tantrum. "I want to be king! This isn't fair."

King Ferran resisted the urge to strangle the boy. He had to appeal to his pride instead. "Wouldn't you rather be Emperor instead?"

The boy perked up at that. "Emperor? How?"

"It's quite simple really. As the son-in-law of the current Emperor and an adopted member of his family, it is possible that you may be chosen as his successor, or at least some of your children may be." Ferran made sure not to actually mention that the odds were slim to none for that. The boy didn't need to know that.

"Emperor." Little Ferran let the word roll of his tongue. "I like the sound of that."

While the boy was caught up in his pride, King Ferran grabbed a document he had lying on the table. All he needed was the boy to sign it and he'd give up all his claims to the kingdom and other titles. "Now if you just sign this here at the bottom, you can take the first step towards that title."

Little Ferran was ready to sign when King Ferran stopped him. He almost forgot that he needed a witness. He couldn't have anyone contesting this later. He hurried out into the hall, looking for the first respectable person who could witness the act. Preferably it should be someone with a good reputation, perhaps in the Church....

As if answering his prayers, Cardinal de Soneta wandered down the hall. Before the man could react, King Ferran grabbed him by his arm and dragged him into the room. "I need you to witness something, Cardinal. It won't take long."

Now with a witness present, the King beckoned for Little Ferran to sign the document. He seemed hesitant to do so now. King Ferran let out an irritated sigh and said, "What is it now?"

"Why do I have to give up my claim to the throne? If I keep it, I could be King of Aragon and Holy Roman Emperor." The boy looked up at the roof, day-dreaming of such a future. King Ferran had to tear that apart and get him to sign that document now.

King Ferran leaned over towards the boy and did his best to whisper in his ear so Cardinal de Soneta couldn't hear. "Listen here, you little brat. You are going to sign that document right now. There are other less pleasant ways to get you to give up your claim and I will resort to them if you don't do it now. Do you understand?"

The boy gulped and immediately picked up a quill. Without hesitation, he signed his name at the bottom of the document. King Ferran nearly squealed with glee. The deed was done. "You have done a great service for your kingdom."

"It's not my kingdom now anymore, is it?" Little Ferran said bitterly as he stormed out of the room. King Ferran shrugged, letting the boy go. He had what he wanted now.

Turning to the Cardinal, King Ferran said, "Thank you for your services once more. I apologize for keeping you from your duties. You may go now." The Cardinal wandered off, seemingly bewildered by what had just happened.

Once he was alone, King Ferran examined the signature and resisted the urge to shout with delight. Adrenaline was puimping through his veins and his heart thumped in his chest, accompanied with an unusual tightness. His succession was secure. The mistakes of his brother's had been fixed at last.

Reactions:
At last the women had arrived! Such goddesses, such beautiful creatures!

From an objective point of view they were not, in fact, very beautiful. The company had to choose very sturdy women to make the trip and survive in this hellhole. But it did not matter to the colonists. They wolfwhistled and cheered when the dames reached shore.

They did not get much work done that night.

Reactions:
((Just a reminder that if any of the explorers actually want to explore somewhere, they need to choose one of the available missions and ask for it in OOC, otherwise the King will shoot your proposal down for lacking planning and forethought. The Crown doesn't give handouts to floaty explorers who are liable to sail right into a rock as soon as they leave the Mediterranean because they're too busy daydreaming about discovery. :p))

Your Majesty,

The colony continues to prosper. However, our supply of ink is low and I must be brief.

I have thought long and hard and believe that we must explore the waters around Africa so that we may chart a course to India and open up the spice trade. After this is completed, we should attempt to find a shorter route to India by sailing west.

I would be willing to lead an expedition once I return to Aragon and the colony is fully thriving and self-sufficient.

With respect,

Alejandro Sancho

((Adding to my exploration proposal in this post

-Explore the waters of the Ivory Coast
-Explore the waters of Brazil
-Explore the waters of Sevilla))

Padre de Spinoza arrives at the Cardinal's seat. The Church is beautiful. He walks in, immediately in awe.

Kneeling to pray at the altar, he whispers so no one can here.
"Lord forgive me for I have sinned. I have disobeyed Your law egregiously and for that I must pay."
He continued with the prayer, in such a low tone of voice even the cockroachs could not hear him.

"Are you finished yet?"
A hand was on his shoulder. The padre turned and nodded quietly. He got up and exited the church, at peace with himself-for now. He was ready to meet the Cardinal, guilt-free.

"Another battle won sire."
A mercenary sergeant came up to Alesandre presenting a map. It looked much nicer now when it wasn't a bunch of red dots everywhere indicating enemy activity, now it was all blue.
He had been some of the first soldiers setting foot on the colony of Beafada, cutting down the heathen natives that had destroyed the colony and murdered its settlers.
It hadn't been particulary tough or grueling, the natives couldn't match the sheer training and numbers that Aragon had sent. The battle was won pretty quickly, then it was just a matter of cleaning up the remaining troublemakers. It was still the occasional attack on the settlers, but they only managed to wound them at the cost of loosing more and more of their own.
The natives would learn their place, sooner or later, and as it looked now, sooner.

"Good, send out a scouting party to the town of Bissau, the settlers had their church burned down yesterday night." Alesandre said, studying the maps.
"At once sire!" The mercenary sergeant responded, saluting.
Alesandre answered the salute and went back to studying the maps.

I hope Ioannes is doing okay. He thought. The Mamluks have gotten closer the Byzantium, and closer to Ioannes stationed there.
I am sure he will be fine, Ioannes is a fine soldier, he could stand his ground.
Alesandre went back to studying the maps, he was planning a rather large assault tomorrow to drive the last natives out, he could afford to stay up for a little while longer.

Reactions:
The Grand Admiral's Plan: Abstain
It is not the place of the church to intervene in the affairs of the sea, beyond sending chaplains to provide spiritual guidance in the New World.
-Padre de Spinoza

Sitting on the rocks of Gibraltar, Ferdinand was still mourning the death of his father. He even sent a letter detailing his abstention from voting. He had also recently filed a request to be the admiral, but he never gave up his dream of exploring the western lands. He had told his father multiple times about a shorter route to a new world through the new colony of Beafada, and he intended to make this a reality.

Sitting on the rocks of Gibraltar, Ferdinand was still mourning the death of his father. He even sent a letter detailing his abstention from voting. He had also recently filed a request to be the admiral, but he never gave up his dream of exploring the western lands. He had told his father multiple times about a shorter route to a new world through the new colony of Beafada, and he intended to make this a reality.

((So you want to be admiral again? I'll need a stat focus then.

Oh, and the results of the vote:

Grand Admiral's Plan: Failed
Act of Uniformity: Passed

I'll use the old Grand Admiral's plan for now, not that it matters with war on the horizon.))

Reactions:
((Private))
To Jaume Limmona, Duke of Naples and Capua

Most noble Duke Limmona,
It has come to my attention that you are denying access to Your harbour for ships that belong to my company. I kindly ask for an explanation of such an action. I hope we can resolve this matter in a civilized way.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Comapny, Grandmaster of Aragon

Reactions: