• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Private letter to the Crown:

Your Majesty,
Thank you so much for providing me with the funds to repair one of my ships. I understand that your financial situation does not allow you to completely reimburse me.
I would also like to enquire whether the position of Grand Admiral is still open. If so, then I would like to apply to this position. I feel I have the competence and experience to solve the current problems of the navy. The navy of Aragon needs to be competitive again and I will be more than happy to help the Crown in that aspect.

Your loyal subject,
Francesco Chiave

Xs93UHA.png

If you are still interested in the position, you may have it.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

((Sorry for missing this earlier. :oops:))

((Private-King Ferran and Giuseppe d'Ambrosio))

King Ferran was playing with himself. Chess was a game that required copious amount of practice, and so he spent a considerable amount of time improving his game. It was a nice distraction from the difficult yet necessary decision he would have to make.

Giuseppe Cubell d'Ambrosio, the "puller" of the "King's string," had disappeared into the vast Mediterranean shortly after Ferran's coronation. Giuseppe's father, Count Antonio of Cagliari, was a senile senior who was as ancient as time itself. Thus the island's affairs were largely managed by a combination of long loyal courtiers, friends from the navy, and ambitious men such as Archbishop Raffaelo Modena. These three groups would collide on many issues but the final say, when Antonio was away on naval service (the majority of the time), would go to Archbishop Modena. Many speculated that Raffaelo would become Count of Cagliari once Antonio finally kicked the bucket.

And kick the bucket he did. Antonio would die after falling off his horse, the reason for this accident was largely contributed to his recent injury, a stubbed toe. A toe he had stubbed just the day before by kicking a bucket, literally. A new Count would have to be named for Cagliari and the tradition was that Antonio's eldest son would receive the title. However no provision had been made if the son had been at lost at sea. So with no related family Ferran was force to give the title to a local noble whom had power in the region. Many of the nobility in Cagliari had attempted to gain the King's favor, but none could arouse Ferran to grant them the title. There was only one choice left, and that was Raffaelo.

Of course Ferran still held to a glimmer of hope that somewhere over the big blue waves that penetrated the island Giuseppe would charge forward like a knight in shining armor who would sweep Ferran off his feet and declare like he always did, "No love must be forbidden!" He imagined Giuseppe's rubbing the strings of his lute, and gradually picking up the beat of his music to the point where Ferran's heart would jump out of his chest and declare, "No love must be forbidden!"

But these were fantasies Ferran could not afford. He must remove his head from the cloud and finish his decree to make Raffaelo Count of Cagliari. Suddenly a knocking came on the door. "Who disturbs the King?" No response. Once more Ferran repeated his question but with more energy. Still no response. Ferran, annoyed, sprung up and made his way to the door. The nerve of this man, he thought, ought to be hung for his ill manner. Ferran flung the door open with fury, "Who dares-"

A pudgy plump man stood in front of Ferran. Silent shock invaded the air. Ferran was motionless as he was overwhelmed with a jumble of emotions. The big wet man and the King stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity, merely studying each other. A smile crept up Ferran's face and a single tear was set free down his cheek. Ferran was a complete loss for words.

Finally the man spoke with a soothingly soft voice that tickled Ferran, "I came. I saw. And I came again."

It was none other Giuseppe Cubell d'Ambrosio. The King strangled his lover with an embrace as strong as a snake's. They remained locked in a bubble of love for minutes.

Ferran noticed a peculiar sharp object erecting from Giuseppe, "Is that a lute in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" Giuseppe reached into his pants and produced a lute.

"Let me woo you with a song my love." Giuseppe began to lubricate the firm strings of lute and rub the big brown body of the instrument. Ferran was hard-pressed not to get off of his seat and undress himself. The King was now naked with love. But he was in his bath robe of course. It was too chilly to be without clothes.

The lute gravitated the two men together like the Earth and the Sun. A fire set ablaze their romance, and their eyes met. The pupils told the whole story. There mind was telling them 'No.' But their bodies, their bodies were telling them 'Yes.'

"Perhaps you shall interest yourself in some pottery my Count?" offered the King. Giuseppe of course accepted, for he loved feeling the wet clay run against his fingertips. They sat down to began their art, but soon it became clear that Ferran was the da Vinci and Giuseppe the...student. Ferran noticed how Giuseppe struggled to wrap his hands all around the enourmous girth of the clay. He came over and began rubbing Giuseppe's clay.

Soon a statue slowly started to become erected. It became firmer with each stroke by Ferran. "Giuseppe you must move your hands in this manner," and Ferran made a delicate motion that one does when brushing their teeth. "Up and down and up and down and..." Giuseppe was getting it. Up and down and up and down and...

Before long the clay statue was fully erected and Giuseppe could barely contain it. Ferran's hands were moving faster and faster. Suddenly some clay started to jump out of the pot. "Oh no. She's going to blow!" yelled Giuseppe. Chunks of it were shooting out one at a time. Ferran and Giuseppe were going at it like rabbits. Finally with one final motion of the hand it came out. The liquid shot out like a bullet from the barrel of a gun. They clay was all over the place and all over their face.

The two men were exhausted, both mentally and physically. The two briefly looked at it each other. "I am glad you came," said Ferran.

"I will come again."

((Public))

I am sad to announce that my father has passed. I shall be assuming his duties as Count of Cagliari.

- Count Giuseppe Cubell d'Ambrosio of Cagliari

Reactions:
Xs93UHA.png

If you are still interested in the position, you may have it.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

((Sorry for missing this earlier. :oops:))

((I am still interested in the Grand Admiral position. BTW does that prevent me from becoming an explorer or conquistador?))

((Edit: Could we maybe get a screenshot of the trade situation? How much % of our income comes from trade ))

Last edited:
Disease. Starvation. Native attacks. Storms. Bugs.

Africa was hell. This was not what Alejandro had signed up for.

However, despite all of the difficulties, Alejandro had done the impossible: he got the colony up and running. Ivory was coming out of their poorly constructed port, bringing money to the crown and company. Alejandro had never been an administrator before so he had to improvise. But improvise he did. The "thriving" colony of ((insert number here)) people was a testament to his success and the efforts of the colonists. Now new colonists came in every few months. It was even rumored that women would arrive on the next ship now that the colony was "fit for habitation"...

Though Alejandro could pat himself on the back, the life of a colonial administrator in the ass-end of the world was still not fulfilling. He still wished to embark on a great adventure and become the most famous explorer in history, the one to bring eternal glory and renown to Aragon. And so, Alejandro Sancho read the latest announcement from the crown with great interest.

Your Majesty,

The colony is thriving and prosperous thanks to your generous backing. Life is still difficult here in this strange land but we manage to get by. All that we are lacking is a proper name for this colony? Do you have any suggestions, my king?

I am greatly interested in your proposal to explore the distant seas. When the colony is fully prepared I shall brief you on some plans I devised with the great Vasco de Gama many years ago. I believe there is a shorter route to India via the Atlantic Ocean.

May God look on you favorably. I ask that you pray for our success in turn.

Your servant,

Alejandro Sancho

((Private-TPTC members))

To the TPTC Board:

Greetings. I hope the company continues to prosper.

The financial opportunities in Africa are much more limited than we had previously thought. I suggest that the future of the company lies with the Indian spice routes, not Africa. It is nearly impossible to penetrate the interior, making collection of ivory difficult. I believe that demand will only increase for the product, but there will not be enough supply to cater to the demand. With more men it may be possible to increase our foothold in the area, which would boost our profits tremendously as we would be able to acquire more ivory, however.

Our men eke out a miserable existence here in the colony. The rate of death has steadily declined, though a bad outbreak could decimate the colony. Please send more supplies. We would also appreciate a boatload of strong women to enrich our colonial experience.

Your partner,

Alejandro Sancho

((I am asking to be an explorer and take the Ivory Coast mission))

((Public))

I am sad to announce that my father has passed. I shall be assuming his duties as Count of Cagliari.

- Count Giuseppe Cubell d'Ambrosio of Cagliari

((I'll at least need a birth year for Giuseppe for the character sheet. I know he's getting up there in age, but apparently that hasn't diminished his performance. :p))

((I am still interested in the Grand Admiral position. BTW does that prevent me from becoming an explorer or conquistador?))

((Edit: Could we maybe get a screenshot of the trade situation? How much % of our income comes from trade ))

((You can still serve as Grand Admiral and an explorer/conquistador. Let's just assume you left plans behind if you're off exploring.

34.3% of our income is from trade, but here's the trade screen anyway.

))

((I am asking to be an explorer and take the Ivory Coast mission))

((If you want to be an explorer, it means you can't be a colonist too. You'll have to pick one or the other.))

Reactions:
((Private))

Francesco Chiave has recently been promoted to the position of representative of Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company in Italy. To strengthen the TPTC's position in Italy, he wants to open an official TPTC office. After the integration of Naples into the Aragon, the amount of Italian towns that are part of the Kingdom of Aragon has drastically increased.
Francesco carefully examines the possible provinces and narrows it down to two choices. Location-wise, Napoli would be in an ideal position, sitting right between Sicily and Sardinia but Francesco is not very fond of the Neapolitans - He still remembers how unhappy some of the local merchants were when he sold wool from Pirineo in Napoli. The alternative is Palermo, the coastal city near Mt. Etna, in Sicily. Palermo has one of the largest shipyard in the kingdom and serves as a trade hub in Southern Italy.

Francesco sends letters to the Duke of Naples and to the Duke of Trinacria.

((Private Letter to the Duke of Naples @AvatarOfKhaine ))

Dear Duke Limmona,
You might have heard that the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company is looking to open an office in Italy. I am currently evaltuting possible options and your province Napoli would make for an ideal location for our office.
Such an office would increase the importance of Napoli drastically because the TPTC would then use your town as a base of operations. This would bring unquestionably more wealth to your citizens and might even be the beginning of a golden age for Napoli after the chaos that your people went through after the integration of the Kingdom of Naples into the Kingdom of Aragon. Should you be interested in having the TPTC opening an office in Napoli then I kindly ask you to let me know what the Duke can offer us in return for the wealth we would bring to not only to his province but to his entire duchy.

Regards,
Francesco Chiave, Represenative of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company in Italy

((Private Letter to the Duke of Trinacria @alscon ))

Dear Duke Castelozzi,
The Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company would like to open an office for her trade relations in your city Palermo. I had the opportunity to explore the beauty of Palermo many times before and I am regularly selling my goods in the Vucciria ((Vucciria is an old market in Palermo)). Your shipyard is unique and Palermo offers everything we need to establish a base in Italy.
The presence of the TPTC in the Duchy of Trinacria would increase not only its wealth but also the importance of Palermo as a major trading center in the Kingdom of Aragon as a whole. All we ask in return is that you use your influence at court to help us gain a monoply for trade in Italy. Should you not want us in your city then the TPTC would look to open the office elsewhere. I kindly ask you to let me know of your decision.

Regards,

Edit:
((You can still serve as Grand Admiral and an explorer/conquistador. Let's just assume you left plans behind if you're off exploring.
((Ok then I want to serve as Grand Admiral and as conquistador. Thanks :) I assume that we don't need a conquistador at the moment since we have not discovered the American mainland yet but once we need a conquistador I'd like to becone one.

I'd also like to know if trade companies like the TPTC could be represent with actual in-game province modifiers))

Last edited:
((Ok then I want to serve as Grand Admiral and as conquistador. Thanks :) I assume that we don't need a conquistador at the moment since we have not discovered the American mainland yet but once we need a conquistador I'd like to becone one.

I'd also like to know if trade companies like the TPTC could be represent with actual in-game province modifiers))

((I do have an army of 3k mercenaries sitting in Africa waiting to be sent out, so we're all ready once we do. The trading companies are represented in-game by the in-game trade companies. When we give trade companies a monopoly in a region where we can have trade companies, all provinces there are just added to a trade company. That's how trade companies can get that extra merchant. ;)))

((I meant after colonizing is finished))

((I just wanted to make sure since colonization isn't a one-time thing. I guess if the colonist becomes an AI, I get to pick where we colonize. :D))

Ferdinand makes his presence reknown in Aragon. Away in the HRE for days on end, he finally makes his reappearance at home. The reasons were unknown until he carried a body out.

Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker was dead, at the age of 68.

"Well, back to the drawing board."

The Aragonese court came in view as he rushed to deliver the news. When he entered, he tripped in front of the king. He then got up.

"I'm sorry... for busting in so hastily, but... my father... the Grandmaster and Admiral... is dead."

"He did leave something though about his plans as Grandmaster. Not much of note, besides keeping plans the same."

((Character Info:

Name: Ferdinand Xaver Lübecker
Class: Courtier (he plans to be an explorer, just so you know. He isn't as interested in trade as his father was...)
Religion: Catholic
Date of Birth: June 4, 1477
Bio still suck at bios :p

))

"I plan to be among those who seek the far western lands."

Last edited:
Reactions:
Xs93UHA.png

My plans for the Chancellery include one thing of great importance: war with Castile. Our truce is over and they are weak. While we will need to face the Portuguese again, they will be no contest for us and we will show them their mistake for allying Castile yet again. It is time we secure our position as the dominant power in Iberia once and for all. We shall wait until all the necessary armies are in place and we have sufficient manpower reserves ((50% so our Peasant's War disaster goes away)). I intend for us to take as much land as we can in Iberia from Castile. I may also consider taking Castilian or Portuguese colonies in Africa if the opportunity arises, but Iberia is the focus. Glory to Aragon!

Prince Ferran informs me that his plans as Steward have no changed.

((While having so many explorers is nice, maybe someone might have the urge to be our admiral so our fleet doesn't risk getting trounced during war. :D We also need a new Grandmaster now that the old one is dead, not that the job is that hard anyway. :p Remember that there are lots of jobs like merchant, diplomat, and missionary available from time to time.))

((While having so many explorers is nice, maybe someone might have the urge to be our admiral so our fleet doesn't risk getting trounced during war. :D We also need a new Grandmaster now that the old one is dead, not that the job is that hard anyway. :p Remember that there are lots of jobs like merchant, diplomat, and missionary available from time to time.))
((Well admiral would be fine enough for Ferdinand, but he prefers explorer. :p

Oh and his specialty would be fire, if you would grant that job to him :)

EDIT: Also are you sure that the in-game envoys are now side-jobs and not sub-classes? If so you might want to edit any references to Merchant, Diplomat, Colonist, and Missionary that also includes Courtier :p))

Reactions:
To His Majesty King Ferran II de Trastámara,
I would like to request the position of the Grandmaster after the unfortunate death of the last one. I believe I have the necessary experience to do the job well. It would make the cooperation of the Tran-Pyrenean Trading Company and Crown better. I also have another less personal request. It is about the colony in Africa, while it falls under company's administration it still belongs to the crown. And I believe the colony has grown big enough to consider sending some woman so the colony can sustain it's population without constant influx of colonists.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company

Last edited:
Name: Artur de Spinoza
Date of birth: November 21st, 1484
Class: Clergy
Bio: Born to a merchant family in Valencia, de Spinoza was the 3rd child out of 7. His oldest brother got the business, his older brother went to university, and he had to become a priest. Though not particularly religiously inspired, he is as faithful as any priest in Aragon. His main interest, however, is making a name for himself at the court of King Ferran. He is currently studying to become a priest of the Dominican order.

Reactions:
((@GreatUberGeek))

To the humble Priest Arthur de Spinoza,

I welcome you to the humble aragonese court, and to our collection of clergy.

May i offer you any assistance you could need, this court is quite alienating to start with, and i'm sure both our philosophies can advance with a friendship that could develop.

From the Cardinal de Soneta.

((@GreatUberGeek basically welcome to the AAR, and offering a friendship between my character Juan and yours))

((@ML8991))

To his Grace Cardinal de Soneta,

It is very welcome to have such an offer extended so soon. I would be pleased to meet with you and discuss anything you may wish. But firstly, I have some questions. One: I have been relatively isolated lately, due to my studying for the Dominicans, and therefore have little knowledge of Spanish affairs. Would you mind informing me? Secondly, where is the main residence of the clergy in the court? I am currently staying in a small inn outside of the city.
I would be quite delighted if we could talk about the doctrines of St. Augustine. I am especially interested in the concept of the "Just War".
Respectfully your servant,
Padre de Spinoza

Dear Duke Castelozzi,
The Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company would like to open an office for her trade relations in your city Palermo. I had the opportunity to explore the beauty of Palermo many times before and I am regularly selling my goods in the Vucciria ((Vucciria is an old market in Palermo)). Your shipyard is unique and Palermo offers everything we need to establish a base in Italy.
The presence of the TPTC in the Duchy of Trinacria would increase not only its wealth but also the importance of Palermo as a major trading center in the Kingdom of Aragon as a whole. All we ask in return is that you use your influence at court to help us gain a monoply for trade in Italy. Should you not want us in your city then the TPTC would look to open the office elsewhere. I kindly ask you to let me know of your decision.

Regards,

((ofc private))
Castelozzi didn't really want to believe what he was reading. Another monopoly? For Italy now? Did these greedy merchants want to monopolize the trade of the whole world? Even if they were under the protection of the crown, this was going too far. Wars have been declared for less, something he of course wanted to avoid. He had to show them their limits. On the other hand, he couldn't deny that having Palermo as a base would only benefit his subjects, a laudable goal. He thought a bit about that offer, before writing a letter.

myKh8vJ.png

Dear Francesco Chiave,

It pleases me to see that you consider Palermo as city for your office. I am certain it provides a merchant like you everything needed, and is well-situated between Iberia and Greece. I would like to welcome the traders of the TPTC here.
As for request for a trade monopoly, I will do my best. But I cannot in good conscience have said monopoly extend over all of Italy. I am a diplomat after all, and such a monopoly would severely strain relations and maybe even provoke a war with most of the Italians, our new ally in Tuscany included. Not all rulers look away as the French do, or have other lucrative ports to trade. But I can see such a monopoly for an Aragonese company against our rivals Genoa and Venice. It would weaken their trade, and if they would try to break the monopoly, Lord beware, they would be the aggressor. It is all I can offer you.

My best wishes for your company's success,
Vincenzo Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria

Your Majesty,

my plan for Byzantium stays the same. In another matter, I have been asked by the TPTC if I could procure them a monopoly in Italy. While I do not think that giving them too many privileges and therefore power is a good idea, I do think this needs some consideration. But not in all of Italy, as they demand. It could very well escalate into war! No, what I propose is to accord them this privilege against our enemies in Genoa and Venice. It can only weaken them at the crown's profit, and if they try to break the monopoly, it would mean a war with them as aggressors. Though I may again remind Your Majesty to exerce caution with this company.

Your humble servant,
Diplomat Vincenzo Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria and Representative to Byzantium

To the Humble Priest Spinoza,

To answer your first point you won't have missed much, as most affairs are occuring outside our borders,
as you may have heard, our King, ever in his wisdom, chose to reclaim the lands he viewed as his, from our neighbour in god and land, Castile, furthermore, we have recently been called into a war alongside Portugal, on the Afrikan state of Jolof, in which- through seperate peace, the ourt agreed to seize a collection of land from the infidels ((last i heard it was the coastal provinces)). As a final matter, aragon has succeeded a successful monoply in trade, with baes in both Jolof and across the mediterrean.

As for offical residency for ourselves, most of us abode inside our respective chapels of cathedrals but, as is our duty to the divine lord, me and my fellow cardinals often congregate in Valencia, if of a religious national importance, or in Rome, should His Holiness wish to decree important matters to us, his Subjects.

I am sure we can find time to discuss this delicate matter in a more appropiate place, perhaps come to my diocese in the North, at Pirineo, i shall pay for your travel costs, no worries the my friend. I hope you take up this offer, and to see you shortly.

Yours truly,

Cardinal Juan de Soneta, Archbishop to Pirineo

((basically i am inviting you to do a joint IC post, such as what 05 and kei, or me and Mike, or me and Dei have done, in which our characters become better acquainted with one another, as well as having a discussion on St Augustine's philosophy.))

upload_2015-9-29_12-40-8.png

Name: Juan Ponce de Leon
Class: Courtier ((who wants to be a conquistador, not an explorer))
Date of Birth: 1474
Bio: The younger brother of Antonio de Leon, who died in 1515 after a brief illness, he has no interest in governing the County of Syracuse, which was inherited by Antonio's son, Pablo. Instead, he wishes to explore faraway lands and bring the Gospel and civilization to savages should he find them. He is obsessed with finding the secret to eternal youth.

((Just to clarify, I can return to being a landed noble ten years from now? If not I'll edit this character accordingly.))

Reactions:
EDIT: Also are you sure that the in-game envoys are now side-jobs and not sub-classes? If so you might want to edit any references to Merchant, Diplomat, Colonist, and Missionary that also includes Courtier :p))

((Well they would be sub-classes still if the nobles hadn't gotten greedy and demanded to be diplomats too. I had to reorganize my entire character sheet because of that. :p))

To His Majesty King Ferran II de Trastámara,
I would like to request the position of the Grandmaster after the unfortunate death of the last one. I believe I have the necessary experience to do the job well. It would make the cooperation of the Tran-Pyrenean Trading Company and Crown better. I also have another less personal request. It is about the colony in Africa, while it falls under company's administration it still belongs to the crown. And I believe the colony has grown big enough to consider sending some woman so the colony can sustain it's population without constant influx of colonists.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company

Xs93UHA.png

Very well, you may have the position.

Your Majesty,

my plan for Byzantium stays the same. In another matter, I have been asked by the TPTC if I could procure them a monopoly in Italy. While I do not think that giving them too many privileges and therefore power is a good idea, I do think this needs some consideration. But not in all of Italy, as they demand. It could very well escalate into war! No, what I propose is to accord them this privilege against our enemies in Genoa and Venice. It can only weaken them at the crown's profit, and if they try to break the monopoly, it would mean a war with them as aggressors. Though I may again remind Your Majesty to exerce caution with this company.

Your humble servant,
Diplomat Vincenzo Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria and Representative to Byzantium

Xs93UHA.png

It would be pointless to grant any trading company a monopoly on trade with Genoa and Venice. We are mutually embargoing each other, so there is no trade between our kingdoms at this time. You can't monopolize what doesn't exist.

((Just to clarify, I can return to being a landed noble ten years from now? If not I'll edit this character accordingly.))

((Yes, you may return to being a landed noble after ten years, provided its not the same character you used before.))

Xs93UHA.png
Very well, you may have the position.

Your Majesty,
Thank you for trusting me with this position. I will try to not disappoint you. I do not see a reason to change the grandmaster plan, so it shall stay the same.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon