• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wish to join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. The Chiave family is among the most successful merchant families in Italy. With our main base in Sardinia, we will be able to increase the profits of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company by selling goods in Italy and beyond. Especially, my good relations in Genoa can contribute to maximize the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company's profits. As long as my cut is fair, I am willing to join your organization.
Exploring the Unknown is also something I am tempted by. I have the financial backing of my my family and a reliable merchant fleet at my disposal.

Best,
Francesco Chiave

I'm happy to hear that you have decided to join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. From now on all the sales made by you will contribute to success of this company. If you are interested in exploration I will not stop you. Your contacts in Italy will be very useful indeed. If you will be successful you will be granted a higher rank. Thank you for joining this organization.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company

Maxime was very excited to hear the news about official support for Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. With it becoming an official Aragonse organization he could no longer manage it from his home in Foix. He needed an office in Valencia, the heart of Aragon. His partner Cardinal Sastre offered him a very nice building at an excellent price. Because of that Maxime offered a bigger cut of the profits to the Cardinal. Now only to move in. after few days of setting up everything was ready. With his company officially becoming part of the Aragonse trade network he needed more merchants to deal with everything. And news about exotic goods of Africa and the New World to the west didn't miss him. He would need brave men who would sail to discover more of those goods. On other matters he would also need more people to smuggle the salt. But that would have to wait. Now the most pressing matter was to expand TPTC. Surely there would be people eager to join.

To all men in Aragon,
If you seek fortune join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company! We are looking for merchants who would transport the goods and sell it. If you are interested please visit out office in Valencia. We offer you fair share of the profits for your hard work. We are also recruiting any brave man who are willing to sail south, and west in search of fortune and exotic goods. We offer you reliable ships and basic equipment. All we ask in return is cargo of goods found during the expedition! Pleas follow the same steps if you wish to join.
Sincerely,
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,

I too would like to join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. It has been too long since I have seen sailed my beloved sea!

-Alejandro Sancho

Finally, Alejandro could inhale the open airs of the ocean again. Court had been useful but it was time to return to what he loved: sailing.

I too would like to join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. It has been too long since I have seen sailed my beloved sea!

-Alejandro Sancho

Welcome! I'm glad to hear that you have decided to join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. If you wish to explore we will gladly provide the necessary equipment, and provide you with ships. As you are probably aware the only condition is that all goods found during your journey should be delivered to TPTC office. Other then that there are no other rules. We do not care if you sail south or west. Good luck on your expedition.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,

Twirling his cap in his hand, Juan de Soneta was in deep thought. His family of course were proud to have a cardinal in the family, but the conversations stopped there. With a lack of many events at court Juan considered moving to Rome, it would be good to see the city after so long away from its glamours. He was in a quandry, stay or go- he wished to go...

But with many affairs of managing the district, and sorting out the ordinences, were detracting from him moving into Roma.

As was the life of Cadinal de Soneta

1507-1513 - Unification

The start of 1507 began with an act of destruction. Forts across Aragon, ones that had been draining the treasury for years, were dismantled. Most leftover material that was still usable was shipped up to Navarra where a new fort was planned, although the funds necessary had not been obtained yet. In total four forts were dismantled and the treasury was grateful for it. Their destruction would save the treasury anywhere from two to four ducats a month.

The establishment of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company created a monopoly on goods traded between France and Aragon. The French seemed unconcerned with the new trading company, while King Ferran II made sure that such an agreement was in his favour. An agreement was struck that the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company would give a portion of its income to the Crown for the next ten years in exchange for its trade monopoly. Both sides benefited from it, so it did not take long to settle things.

Speaking of trade, the protectionist policies that had been gaining favour were ramped up as arrangements were made with Byzantium to embargo Castile, Venice, and Genoa. All merchants from these nations were banned from trading in Aragonese ports, while Aragonese merchants were discouraged from trading with them in turn.

Talk of exploring the waters to the west had been going on for years, but the King was uncertain of such a thing. He felt that Aragon was not ready, for surely there was some secret for travelling the treacherous Atlantic Ocean that they did not know of. Talks with the Portuguese were ongoing, but they were keeping what knowledge they had to themselves. Instead the King decided that Aragon would focus closer to home. A colonial venture, funded by the Crown, was established in Beafada, which bordered the Portuguese colony of Sierra Leone and the African nation of Mali. It was the only province that could be effectively supplied that wasn’t already claimed. Still, it was a good starting point for Aragon’s first colonial venture.

April brought an end to the war between Morocco and Tlemcen. The latter suffered greatly with Morocco becoming a more formidable regional power. Aragon would have to keep an eye on its neighbour and perhaps consider knocking them down a notch. Apparently the feeling was mutual as Morocco declared Aragon a rival.

Diplomat Llorenç Alfons María de Agramunt was given a mission of great importance. He would be tasked with spending the next few years strengthening King Ferran’s claim to Castile. While directly contesting the Castilian king’s right to rule was unwise, it didn’t hurt to try to convince the people that they’d be better off under Aragonese rule. The first target of such a plan was Soria and more provinces would follow. ((This is the start of a claim-spam on all available Castilian provinces.))

In August, Edirne was finally liberated, ending the Greek’s rebel problem, at least for now. The army was returned to Athens, although the accompanying mercenaries were given an assignment to protect the new colony in Africa.

The Pope’s war with Provence ended badly for him as Provence had the audacity to take Avignon and force Urbino free. This made the earlier “gift” demanded from the Pope look like charity. Provence’s defiance was already hurting them as heretics rose up in Brittany. Clearly Provence was a place rife with heresy.

Aragon’s expansion into West Africa was not appreciated by the locals. Before the mercenary army could arrive, 4k men rose up in revolt. The savages ravaged the colony, destroying all effort to colonize the region. King Ferran was not undeterred by this. In fact, he was quite enraged. A colonial party was sent back to the region, and this time the army would be there to maintain order.

Despite attempts to keep the Pope somewhat happy, another Papal spy was caught, this time in Cagliari. King Ferran fumed in silence, knowing that to strike back at the Pope would risk excommunication.

Castile decided to further its colonial gains in Africa by targeting Jolof. King Ferran wasn’t too please with Castile’s land-grab. He would have preferred if they had lain down and died. He had a mutual feeling towards Provence. When the nation sought military access through Aragon, they were quickly denied. Ferran wasn’t even sure why they needed it, since they weren’t at war. If their intention was to deal with the rebels in Brittany, military access through France was what they needed. Clearly the people of Provence lacked a basic knowledge of geography.

In May of 1508, it was decided that the native threat in Beafada be handled immediately before another uprising occurred. The 5k mercenary army in the region was ordered to drive the savages from the province. The natives resisted, as expected, and were slaughtered as a result. At least they would no longer threaten Aragon’s first colony.

During the summer, King Ferran made a few controversial decisions. His first was to increase ties with local mercenary companies. Mercenaries were often seen as unscrupulous men who served solely for profit. Their loyalty was often in question. Ferran intended to rectify this by influencing the leadership of these groups. An arrangement was made where the sons of Aragonese nobles who joined these companies would find themselves subject to promotions more often than the average mercenary, often assuming leadership roles. Prince Alfons, at the insistence of King Ferran, was placed in charge of his own mercenary regiment. The Prince protested, but the King insisted that it would be good for him.

The second controversial decision was to weaken ties between the Church and the Inquisition. From now on the Inquisition would take orders from the Crown, not the Church. The Church could still dictate religious doctrine taught by the Inquisition, but it was the Crown that would decide where the Inquisition should focus its efforts. The Crown also took more interest in missionary efforts, funding new missionary schools under the control of the Inquisition that trained men of the cloth to convert people to the true faith in more troublesome provinces. It benefited the Crown to see people following the same faith. This new training program would be put to the test as its first student was sent to Fez to convert the stubborn Sunnis. To prevent potential problems, the local administration was given more leeway to handle problems directly.

The continual conflict between Denmark and Sweden continued to work in Sweden’s favour. The Scandinavian nation was dominating the region and was surely making its neighbours nervous.

Conflict with the lesser nobles was almost constant. Despite efforts to increase communication with the King through the Cortz, many still felt they were denied privileges they deserved, especially in more far-off provinces. A group of Athenian nobles rose up in revolt, but the King had been tipped off beforehand. An army of 10k men was sent from Aragon proper under General Stefano von Thun to help the smaller army in Athens crush the rebellion. The army was crushed, as expected, but it set back the King’s plan to build up reserves for the army yet again. The King certainly was not pleased with the nobles’ behaviour.

Genoa’s hold on its land in the east was slipping. After annexing Crimea through peaceful methods, the nation decided it had changed its mind. The Crimeans broke free from Genoa’s grasp, much to King Ferran’s delight. A weaker Genoa was a good thing.

What wasn’t good was stronger rivals. Venice decided that it was time to focus back on the Balkans by targeting Serbia. If Venice continued to encroach in the area, perhaps Aragon would have to do something about it. As for Castile, they were on their way to recovery as they grabbed land in West Africa. At least England had decided to start normalizing relations by ending the rivalry.

With manpower reserves low, King Ferran started yet another campaign to improve recruitment efforts throughout the kingdom. Several provinces previously neglected received attention, including Pirineo, Navarra, the Baleares, Palermo, Malta, Athens, and Melilla. The funds were also finally available to build the fort in Navarra. No longer would enemy armies march through northwest Aragon without interference.

The construction of two new barques was ordered in June of 1510 in Palermo to add to the trade fleet operating out of Sevilla.

The Castilian king attempted to insult King Ferran again, this time by claiming that his family was filled with whores and bastards. Ferran kindly pointed out that King Enrique of Castile was also a Trastámara and thus the same claim could be applied to him. That shut the man up and gained the further respect of Aragon’s neighbours. ((King Ferran after King Enrique got served.))

Things looked grim in the east as Venice took Serbia’s coastline and most of their treasury. If Serbia continued to be victimized by Venice, perhaps Aragon would have to intervene.

The colony in Beafada was meeting much greater success with the natives pacified. The area was filled with large animals called elephants that had tusks of ivory that were highly valued at home. King Ferran could already imagine the wealth this colony would bring in.

In August of 1511, a temple was built in Athens to recognize the province’s conversion to the true faith. Now all the archbishoprics in Aragon had one.

August also brought another attempt at Jolof, this time by Portugal. A week later, Portugal called on Aragon for assistance. Seeing as Jolof was without allies and possessed an inferior army, the King decided to answer the call. Some speculated that he hoped to use the war to further Aragon’s colonial gains.

The mercenary army was sent back to Beafada, since it had been stationed in Aragon awhile back. In retrospect this turned out to have been a bad decision, since Jolof went after Aragon’s sole colony first. Jolof captured the province just as the Aragonese fleet arrived. The mercenary army landed in Portuguese Sierra Leone instead, and just in time too. They arrived right before Jolof did, giving them the opportunity to launch a surprise attack. Jolof’s army was wiped out, much like Milan by Switzerland. With a little over a month, Beafada was back under Aragon’s control.

Once the colony was reclaimed, the mercenary army marched up to Siine and captured it in February. Unfortunately an enemy regiment snuck through unexplored territory in Mali and retook Bealada. The enemy was engaged again and destroyed. It took until April to take back the colony, but by then a Neapolitan army had arrived in Siine to aid the war effort.

Back in Europe, poor Serbia found itself further threatened as Hungary diploannexed Bosnia, leaving it with a much larger neighbour holding land right inside theirs.

Aragon was truly prospering under King Ferran’s rule. The economy was flourishing and all kinds of elaborate buildings were being constructed to show off the wealth flowing through the kingdom. Many intellectuals were also coming to the country and presenting their ideas at court. While architecture was fine and all, King Ferran was more interested in ways to boost the production of goods to keep Aragon competitive. He supported several ideas of intellectuals living in Almeria and provided them with the funds to put their ideas into action. Funding these projects was fairly easy too, since a wealthy Aragonese merchant had recently passed away and left his entire fortune to the Crown.

The mercenary army was moved to Jolof’s capital of Wolof to take the fort and bring Jolof to its knees. Portugal finally arrived in August, landing in Trarza. Victory seemed a forgone conclusion by this point.

Despite tension with the Pope, that did not prevent King Ferran from allowing cardinals to have positions within his government. Two cardinals served on his Council, with Cardinal Manuel de Vivar y Sastre having been Treasurer for many years now. This was a good step to keeping people confident with the state despite conflict with the Papacy.

September of 1512 brought news of the worst kind. Prince Alfons had been leading a mercenary company in Jolof. The assignment was considered a simple one, since the enemy army had been eliminated by now. Despite this, there were still those who fought back through more covert means. A group of Jolof guerrillas snuck into the Aragonese camp at night and killed the generals in their sleep. Prince Alfons was one of them. When King Ferran received the news, he was quite shocked. For days he kept muttering to himself that the Prince’s death was his fault before he finally locked himself in his room and refused to see anyone. He only resurfaced when Alfons’s body was returned to Valencia for the funeral. Once the body was buried in the family tomb next to Alfons V, the King confined himself to his quarters again. Prince Ferran took up the daily affairs of state.

By January of 1513, the efforts to integrate Naples fully into the kingdom of Aragon were finally complete. King Ferran refused to attend the ceremony celebrating the union of the two into one kingdom, so Prince Ferran took his place.

The integration of Naples presented new problems and opportunities. Aragon’s army was now larger than it had ever been, far too big to support as is. The added ships also further put stress on the navy. In total, Naples added 16 ships (0/4/5/7) to the navy. It brought in even more troops with roughly 17 regiments added (12/3/2), with another cavalry regiment on its way.

In regards to the war, it was all but won. Jolof had only a single regiment left and they’d lost at least three provinces already. With the King grieving, perhaps the court would have to decide how to handle the conclusion of the war.

((I’ll upload the spam later tonight. I’m missing the military screenshot for some reason.))

Xs93UHA.png

Presenting His Royal Highness, Ferran de Trastámara, Prince of Aragon.

I am sorry that my father could not attend to his court today, but I’m afraid he still grieves for my brother. For the moment I shall be assuming his duties. I apologize if this inconveniences the court.

Although the passing of my brother is indeed tragic, we do have reason to celebrate. After decades of union, Naples has formally been integrated into the kingdom of Aragon. This is a tremendous moment for us. The Neapolitan people have long served us and now they shall receive their due recognition as equal subjects.

As for this war with Jolof, Father has not instructed me on how he wishes to proceed. We can either just help the Portuguese, or we can consider taking a piece for ourselves. The benefits to any future colonial ventures may be worth it, and of course to make sure my brother’s death was not in vain. We should spread the true faith to the region if we can. We shall discuss this all later.

((Ministers will have until Friday at 9am PST to present their plans. I should have the spam screenshot up in a few hours. I recommend that our Marshal, @SirAlucard, take a good look at what forces we have now that Naples has integrated and consider what to keep and what to disband, otherwise I will make the decision. I just need a general number to aim for regarding each regiment type (ex. 20/10/10), and I’ll disband the necessary regiments to match it. Make sure to take a good look at the military screen once the spam screenshot is up to see our force limit.

Pension collection times! Here are our (un)lucky pensioners:

@Riccardo93

As for those who are now 100+, you have until the next update to kill off your characters or I will.

@VenetianRyan
@LatinKaiser
@TJDS

Hopefully I didn’t miss anything else.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Spam is up for those ministers who need it. Ignore the black square over the heir. I haven't had the chance to edit in the actual one. I also have no idea why it says all forts are manned when none of them are. I've also noticed we have 5 cardinals, which has made me decide to put a hard limit on the number of player cardinals to keep every player that becomes a member of the clergy from going straight to cardinal. For now it will be set at 3, but it may increase later. I might make it correspond with the Cortz, so the numbers will be even. At the moment we have 4 cardinals, but once it hits 3 there will not be a replacement.))

Your Majesty,

Congratulations on your tremendous victory against the savages of Wolof. Let us make these heathens pay for the treacherous crime against your son. Know that I am deeply sorry for your tragic loss. I did not know Prince Alfons but by all accounts he was a model prince.

I would like to volunteer to travel to our colony in Beafada and oversee the process of settlement. The unfortunate attack by natives has demonstrated that we must keep a close eye on overseas territories and use a firm hand with these savages. I shall follow the example of the governors of Fez if you appoint me to such a task. If not, I would also like to volunteer for the position of Grand Admiral. I believe my experience at sea and time watching Admiral Lubecker as a captain of a galley would prove to be beneficial for our navy.

Alejandro bows

-Alejandro Sancho

((I am volunteering to be a colonist but if not then Grand Admiral))

Last edited:

((Oops, my bad. I interpreted it as saying you wanted to be governor. :oops: If you'd prefer to be a colonist, I'll just delete my last post and you can do that instead of being Grand Admiral.))

Reactions:
((Okay, a few things to mention. Now that we have our first colonist, people may now offer him contracts to colonize regions for them. He is free to accept whichever contract he wishes and that region will be colonized for that backer. Keep in mind that only certain characters may back a colony (unlanded nobles and courtiers). If no one makes an offer, the Crown will decide locations to colonize. Seeing as we can only reach one province and it is currently being colonized, it's not possible to offer a contract at this time. After the next update I'll start including screenshots of land we can colonize so people can make offers.

The second thing I wanted to mention is that I've added all the new Neapolitan counties up for grabs, so unlanded nobles may start claiming them. I already know a few reserved some, but I want confirmation first. I've also made another decision regarding titles. Since we have so many empty ones and we'll only get more as time goes by, I am willing to make titles permanent for a player. What this means is that once you make a noble character, that title belongs to your noble family for the rest of the iAAR, regardless of what other types of characters you play. These means you could make a merchant, then a clergyman, and then anything else really and not worry about losing your title. You are free to roleplay as your dynasty while playing other characters outside it, but it must be clear that only your current character may vote or be active in politics. The only way to lose your title is to have it revoked or if any of your current characters reach 100 and I'm forced to kill them off. This is to prevent inactive players from hogging titles. Hopefully this encouraged people to try other classes without worrying about losing their titles. :)))

11RogerDeFlor.jpg

Duque Tomas II M. A. Etxeto, c. 1550

Name: Duque Tomas II Maria Arias Etxeto de Navarra
Date of Birth: 17 Auguest 1482
Class: Landed Noble (Navarre)
Religion: Catholic

- - - - - - - - - - -

Etxeto-arms.gif

Coat of Arms of the Etxeto
It is my sad duty to announce that my father, the late Duke of Navarre, has past into the hands of the Lord. Aged three score and two years, he will be missed. However as his son and heir, I, Tomas Maria Arias Etxeto, Second of that Name, take his place as Duke of Navarre and all the other titles and responsibilities of said title.

((Well we now have an opening on the Cortz, so any landed noble has until Friday at 9am PST to nominate themselves for the open position. Unlanded nobles who are interesting may want to start claiming titles. ;)))

Your Majesty,

Congratulations on your tremendous victory against the savages of Wolof. Let us make these heathens pay for the treacherous crime against your son. Know that I am deeply sorry for your tragic loss. I did not know Prince Alfons but by all accounts he was a model prince.

I would like to volunteer to travel to our colony in Beafada and oversee the process of settlement. The unfortunate attack by natives has demonstrated that we must keep a close eye on overseas territories and use a firm hand with these savages. I shall follow the example of the governors of Fez if you appoint me to such a task. If not, I would also like to volunteer for the position of Grand Admiral. I believe my experience at sea and time watching Admiral Lubceker as a captain of a galley would prove to be beneficial for our navy.

Alejandro bows

-Alejandro Sancho

((You spelled my name wrong. Again. o_O))

Your Majesty,

I will keep my plans the same as always. Ferdinand, as interested in exploration as always, is studying the landforms. He believes that sailing west from Beafada will yield a shorter route to this interesting "New World." All of my children are already away, looking for suitable partners and whatnot ((this implies I added them to the bachelor document)).

Venice is becoming a noticeable threat. We should attack them soon so as to not have our hegemony across the Mediterranean broken. Castile with its colonies is noticeable as well; in future wars we should seize them. ((This is just my opinion, I'm not the chancellor :p))

With regards,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Grandmaster and Admiral

Giving the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company a monopoly towards France didn't have the effects that Vincenzo had feared. Of course the French merchants who previously engaged in French-Aragonese trade complained, but those complains didn't reach the French king's ears as much as they wanted. The great alliance between the two kingdoms, the envy of the world, as the Duke of Trinacria put it, will stand for centuries to come. He pointed out the fact that French and Aragonese cooperated in this flourishing company, and that the gains flowed into both ways. They just sought protection by the crown, but in the end, there would be a net tax increase for His Majesty. True or not, he managed to present it in such a way that no conflict erupted between the two allies over such a minor thing, as he had feared before. After consolidating the alliance for the last years, he returned to the court to address the current matters.

myKh8vJ.png
My Prince,

my deepest condolences to the loss of Your brother. May he rest in peace. His death shines another light on our involvement in Portugal's war in Jolof - we have to respect the Prince by showing these savages the errors of their ways. If we would make gains along the coast, we would have greater access to African goods and could ship them back to Iberia, but I think the Portuguese plan on doing the same, so it depends on Aragon's willingness to engage in a probably bloody conversion of the infidels if we should try to establish a further foothold.

But I wish to address another issue. With the formal integration of Naples, I am certain You are looking for a new ally. May I suggest to consider the Hungarians, Swiss or Tuscans? As far as I know, these nations are not in any way hostile to our ally France, but may very well share our feelings towards the Venetians, Genoese or Provencals. They might be helpful should Aragon have recovered enough to consider a new war.

As for Byzantium, I feel as if they are happy with the current situation, and their army seems to be able to hold off more rebels. With our ships from Naples too much to be sustained, I can only forward a proposal to You as Grand Admiral to offer or sell some ships to the Greeks, should that be necessary. I don't see any other need to act, and as such keep to the current plan ((that is, nothing)).

Your humble servant,
Diplomat Vincenzo Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria and Representative to Byzantium

Trade in the Mediterranean Sea is flourishing. The Chiave feels the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company has greatly contributed to that. Wine, fresh and salted fish, and all other kinds of goods change hands in Cagliari and more so in Genoa. Francesco feels that Genoa should become an Aragonese province rather sooner than later. Those who control Genoa, control a greater cut of the Mediterranean wealth.

Your Majesty,
I kindly ask you to consider conquering Genoa. This will not only benefit the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company but the entire country. The cost of conquering Genoa is well-worth the return. I feel you are strong enough and together with new allies, which Aragon desperately needs, you can incorporate Genoa into your kingdom. It saddens me to see the city of my ancestors not being part of this glorious realm and I hope you agree with my reasoning that Aragon needs to own Genoa.

Regards,
Francesco Chiave

To his household of King Ferran II,

The church grieves with you over the loss of such noble blood. May the lord bless and the holy mother console thee.

If you require any services to be performed, just inform myself, i shall be happy to oblige in offering assistance in times like this.

May the lord cherish thee,
Yours humbly,
Cardinal de Soneta, archbishop of Pirineo.

((Can I be the colonist?))

((Already did that. You get to be our first colonist.))

((I want to be colonist, too,t or explorer/conquistador :) ))

((Well we only have one colonist and I already gave it to Andre. As for explorer or conquistador, we have to wait for the necessary idea. If people want to start expressing their interest in those positions, I'll start making a list of potential candidates.))

((You spelled my name wrong. Again. o_O))

Your Majesty,

I will keep my plans the same as always. Ferdinand, as interested in exploration as always, is studying the landforms. He believes that sailing west from Beafada will yield a shorter route to this interesting "New World." All of my children are already away, looking for suitable partners and whatnot ((this implies I added them to the bachelor document)).

Venice is becoming a noticeable threat. We should attack them soon so as to not have our hegemony across the Mediterranean broken. Castile with its colonies is noticeable as well; in future wars we should seize them. ((This is just my opinion, I'm not the chancellor :p))

With regards,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Grandmaster and Admiral

((Glad to see you finally got that document to open.))

Giving the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company a monopoly towards France didn't have the effects that Vincenzo had feared. Of course the French merchants who previously engaged in French-Aragonese trade complained, but those complains didn't reach the French king's ears as much as they wanted. The great alliance between the two kingdoms, the envy of the world, as the Duke of Trinacria put it, will stand for centuries to come. He pointed out the fact that French and Aragonese cooperated in this flourishing company, and that the gains flowed into both ways. They just sought protection by the crown, but in the end, there would be a net tax increase for His Majesty. True or not, he managed to present it in such a way that no conflict erupted between the two allies over such a minor thing, as he had feared before. After consolidating the alliance for the last years, he returned to the court to address the current matters.

myKh8vJ.png
My Prince,

my deepest condolences to the loss of Your brother. May he rest in peace. His death shines another light on our involvement in Portugal's war in Jolof - we have to respect the Prince by showing these savages the errors of their ways. If we would make gains along the coast, we would have greater access to African goods and could ship them back to Iberia, but I think the Portuguese plan on doing the same, so it depends on Aragon's willingness to engage in a probably bloody conversion of the infidels if we should try to establish a further foothold.

But I wish to address another issue. With the formal integration of Naples, I am certain You are looking for a new ally. May I suggest to consider the Hungarians, Swiss or Tuscans? As far as I know, these nations are not in any way hostile to our ally France, but may very well share our feelings towards the Venetians, Genoese or Provencals. They might be helpful should Aragon have recovered enough to consider a new war.

As for Byzantium, I feel as if they are happy with the current situation, and their army seems to be able to hold off more rebels. With our ships from Naples too much to be sustained, I can only forward a proposal to You as Grand Admiral to offer or sell some ships to the Greeks, should that be necessary. I don't see any other need to act, and as such keep to the current plan ((that is, nothing)).

Your humble servant,
Diplomat Vincenzo Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria and Representative to Byzantium

Xs93UHA.png

Some excellent suggestions. I will be taking a closer look at any potential allies near Italy who can counter the threat of Genoa and Venice. There may be entangling alliances that we should avoid. As for Byzantium, I did not considered selling them our excess ships. I will certainly make them an offer once I can figure out what we can spare.

- Prince Ferran de Trastámara

Your Majesty,
I kindly ask you to consider conquering Genoa. This will not only benefit the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company but the entire country. The cost of conquering Genoa is well-worth the return. I feel you are strong enough and together with new allies, which Aragon desperately needs, you can incorporate Genoa into your kingdom. It saddens me to see the city of my ancestors not being part of this glorious realm and I hope you agree with my reasoning that Aragon needs to own Genoa.

Regards,
Francesco Chiave

It is certainly a thing to consider, what with Genoa surely in a state of weakness. I will need to further examine their alliances and we still have not had enough time to allow our manpower to recover first. We cannot jump into war too hastily.

To his household of King Ferran II,

The church grieves with you over the loss of such noble blood. May the lord bless and the holy mother console thee.

If you require any services to be performed, just inform myself, i shall be happy to oblige in offering assistance in times like this.

May the lord cherish thee,
Yours humbly,
Cardinal de Soneta, archbishop of Pirineo.

Xs93UHA.png

I feel that other than grief, my father has some other issue that has been plaguing him and keeping him from attending to his stately duties. I have begged him to seek confession with a priest, but he is quite hesitant. He clearly has a burden that he must share but refuses to do so. I fear that it will make him sick holding whatever it is back.

Reactions:
To the Prince Ferran,

This indeed could be likely if what you say is true, a dark mind can poison the body most grievously.

But i still insist you try win your father over, my prince, and my door is always open, should you be successful, and with our lady of the light has always been accepting of all forms of misgivings, If indeed that is what is holding back his majesty, there should be no qualms i'm sure.

I hope to hear from yourself soon, recall that i am here for all, so if you need to discuss matters, or just a advisor to talk to also, i am happy to offer my service unto you also.

May the king be well soon,
The Cardinal Juan de Soneta, Archbishop to Pirineo.

Alejandro enjoyed his time sailing for the Trans-Pyrenean Company and the opportunity it gave him to refresh his sailing skills. But something was still missing. And so he jumped at the chance to travel to Africa when His Majesty needed colonists to organize Aragon's territory there. He set sail two weeks later with thirty men and a love of adventure in his heart.