• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

exaenae

Corporal
24 Badges
Jan 29, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Iraq
Traditions - Yearly Army Tradition Decay: -1% / Core-Creation Cost: -20%

1) Cradle of Civilization - Yearly Prestige: +1
Mesopotamia is widely considered the cradle of civilization. Without that land, none of our threats and attackers wouldn't be here today.
2) The Imam Ali Mosque - Missionaries: +1 / Tolerance of the True Faith: +3
The Imam Ali Mosque is the third holiest site for followers of Shia Islam. It is visited by tens of thousands of pilgrims every year that pay tribute to Imam Ali. Some of these are trained missionaries, and we can convince them to pursue a higher goal by converting the heathens and heretics we conquer.
3) Fortify Baghdad - Fort Defense: +20%
Baghdad was invaded many times throughout history, most famously by the Mongols. We must prevent further invasions, or at least delay them, by fortifying our capital and defending it to the last man.
4) Restore the Bayt al-Hikma - Technology Cost: -5%
The House of Wisdom, or Bayt al-Hikma was a major intellectual center during the Islamic Golden Age. It was founded in Baghdad by Caliph Harun al-Rashid and destroyed during the Siege of Baghdad in 1258 by the barbaric Mongols. By restoring the House of Wisdom we can once again become the beacon of Muslim learning.
5) Metropolis of the Muslim World - Idea Cost: -10%
Built in 8th Century by the Abbasid Caliphate, Baghdad quickly became the leading metropolis of the Arab and Muslim world for several centuries. Since we control this city and proclaimed it our capital, we must take advantage of its prestigious title to attract the cultural elite of the Muslim world.
6) The Land Between Rivers - National Manpower Modifier: +25%
Mesopotamia is located between the rivers Euphrates and Tigris, and its land is incredibly fertile. By further cultivating land in the cradle of civilization, our manpower reserves will be plentiful.
7) Promote Multiculturalism - Accepted Culture Threshold: -15%
Baghdad is a city of incredible cultural diversity. By encouraging citizens of different cultures to be accepting to each other, our society will become accepting and people seeking refuge in our capital will be accepted.
Ambition - Discipline: +5%

Lebanon
Traditions - Tolerance of Heathens: +2 / Missionary Strength: +2%
1) Legacy of the Crusades - Discipline: +5%

The Kingdom of Lebanon was an important part of the Crusades. We can revive this legacy for the glory of our nation.
2) Phoenician Traditions - Merchants: +1
Our lands were once owned by the Phoenicians, one of the greatest trading powers in the Mediterranean. Reviving their heritage will benefit our nation greatly.
3) Convert the Heathens - Missionaries: +1
Our unique position in the area means we are surrounded by hostile religions. We should make all attempts to convert them to the true faith.
4) Bastion of Christianity in the Levant - Fort Defense: +15% / Yearly Papal Influence: +1
We are in a precarious position as the only Christian country in the Levant. Improving our defenses should help dissuade the Muslims from attacking us.
5) Cedar Wood of Mount Lebanon - Trade Efficiency: +10%
According to the Old Testament, the Phoenician king Hiram I sent engineers to build the Jewish Temple of Jerusalem out of cedar wood found on Mount Lebanon. The Phoenicians also traded with Egypt for this wood, and so can we: let us trade with the lumber-poor yet ultimately rich countries. They get access to fine wood, and we get money!
6) Conquer the Levant - Infantry Combat Ability: +15%
Now that we have established ourselves in the Levant, we should look at expansion and conquering the area for the glory of our nation.
7) Merchant Fleets - Light Ship Cost: -15%
Let us put our focus on constructing ships to protect our trading interests, as well as placing merchants on these fleets that will oversee the safe arrival of cargo into our ports.
Ambition - Recover Army Morale Speed: +10%

Yemen
Traditions - Trade Efficiency: +10% / Embargo Efficiency: +10%

1) Control the Gulf of Aden - Light Ship Combat Ability: +20%

The trade flowing through the Gulf of Aden is rich. Naturally, it attracts pirates, but we must improve our fleet to ensure the trade flows freely, and the goods end up where they're supposed to.
2) Rasulid Literature - Idea Cost: -10%
Several sultans of the Rasulid dynasty were very culturally prominent, being educated men who wrote letters and literature. Their heirlooms remain with us and strengthen our sense of national pride.
3) Port of Aden - Global Trade Power: +10%
The Port of Aden is one of the most important trading ports in Arabia, and holds significance as the entrance to the Red Sea. As long as we retain control of this city we can control both incoming and outgoing trade.
4) Exported Horses - Military Technology Cost: -10%
Horses, along with agricultural crops, are the most important exports of our nation. As long as there is demand for horses in the Muslim world, we will have someone to sell them to. And as long as there is an exchange of goods, there is an exchange of information.
5) Tahirid Builders - Build Cost: -20%
The Tahirids were a local clan in Yemen who were keen builders, constructing schools, mosques and irrigation channels as well as bridges in many Yemeni cities.
6) Provide Protection to Jewish Merchants - Merchants: +1 / National Tax Modifier: +5%
The Gulf of Aden attracts merchants of all races and creeds, including the Jewish. If we can make Jewish merchants a protected class in our country we can greatly benefit from their knowledge.
7) Red Sea Toll - Trade Power Abroad: +25%
Due to the strategic position our country holds on the Red Sea, we can enforce a toll on any ships attempting to enter or leave these waters.
Ambition - Cavalry Combat Ability: +10%

It's the "Countries that have generic Arabian ideas" special! As always, comments are appreciated.

I think this is my best set of ideas to date, and I'm quite happy with how they've all turned out. However, I have come to the conclusion that some of the ideas may be a *bit* OP so comments are welcome.

Next time, we're off to Europe: Brabant, Flanders, Liege

Reactions:
Upvote 0
I can give you countries whose ideas I've already done (that I haven't posted yet).
They are: Aquileia, Brabant, Cornwall, Chile, Crete, Flanders, Karelia, Malta, Montferrat, Lorraine, La Plata, Liege (Brabant, Flanders and Liege for next time).

A few ideas need polish and I currently have a few countries on my shortlist.

(also you've triple posted because the Paradox Forums are a bit laggy so I recommend deleting a couple of these)
Fixed the triple post. I was thinking about Crete but yours is probably better :). After the Italian City-States I'm doing
(Parma, Pisa, Modena,) (Golden Horde, Oirat, Sibir,) Ndongo, (Delhi, Sind, Nagaur,) (Alsace, Toulouse, Picardy), Darfur, (QQ, AQ, Shirvan,) (Malwa, Mewar, Marwar,), Multan, (Cologne, Trier, Mainz), (Jaffna, Malabar, Kochin,) Sarig Yogir, (Mombasa, Malindi, Pate,) (Madurai, Mysore, Keladi,)
The single one is one that doesn't fit in a group and gives me a break when I need it (When school gets intense). Parentheses are a group associated with a region.

Fixed the triple post. I was thinking about Crete but yours is probably better :). After the Italian City-States I'm doing
(Parma, Pisa, Modena,) (Golden Horde, Oirat, Sibir,) Ndongo, (Delhi, Sind, Nagaur,) (Alsace, Toulouse, Picardy), Darfur, (QQ, AQ, Shirvan,) (Malwa, Mewar, Marwar,), Multan, (Cologne, Trier, Mainz), (Jaffna, Malabar, Kochin,) Sarig Yogir, (Mombasa, Malindi, Pate,) (Madurai, Mysore, Keladi,)
The single one is one that doesn't fit in a group and gives me a break when I need it (When school gets intense). Parentheses are a group associated with a region.

I'm still unsure about Crete and they'll probably be redone in the future. I also have Ferraran ideas which I really like and at one point had made Free City ideas but scrapped them because I couldn't mod them in properly.

I'm still unsure about Crete and they'll probably be redone in the future. I also have Ferraran ideas which I really like and at one point had made Free City ideas but scrapped them because I couldn't mod them in properly.
I had the same idea too lol. Take at look at them.

I had the same idea too lol. Take at look at them.
I've had a look at them and they're alright, if a bit generic (which they'd have to be since they are available to all Free Cities). They're pretty different from what I had in the beginning, unfortunately they're gone now.

I remember bits and pieces, so I'll reply to this comment (or your next comment) when I come up with them, shouldn't take too long.

I've had a look at them and they're alright, if a bit generic (which they'd have to be since they are available to all Free Cities). They're pretty different from what I had in the beginning, unfortunately they're gone now.

I remember bits and pieces, so I'll reply to this comment (or your next comment) when I come up with them, shouldn't take too long.
That's kind of the point since they are an idea group. I kinda rushed it because I was really busy and wanted to stick to my deadline (Tuesday Mornings). It's not the best piece of work the bonuses I thought earlier and thought that they should get bonuses for being an OPM.

That's kind of the point since they are an idea group. I kinda rushed it because I was really busy and wanted to stick to my deadline (Tuesday Mornings). It's not the best piece of work the bonuses I thought earlier and thought that they should get bonuses for being an OPM.
Here's my ideas for Free City ideas:

Traditions - Fort Defense: +10% / Land Force Limit Modifier: +25%
1) Urbs Imperialis Libera - Yearly Prestige: +1
The right of being a free city was granted to us by the Emperor himself. We should cherish this prestigious position that we have been given.​
2) Ensure Fair Leadership - Yearly Republican Tradition: +0.5
To ensure our city prospers, we must first run rigorous checks on who runs it. By setting very specific terms on who can and cannot be the Bürgermeister we will ensure that our city's leadership is just and fair.​
3) Ratsverwandte - National Tax Modifier: +10%
Although free cities and their constitution were republican, the government was oligarchic in nature and ruled by a town council composed of the patrician class, called the town council families (ratsverwandte). These families are economically secure and very important, so it would be wise to keep them ruling, at least partially.​
4) Appease the Beisassen - Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
The Beisassen were a lower class of citizen in a free imperial city: small artisans, craftsmen, day laborers and the poor. While the country is run by the rich, it rests on the back of the poor. By appeasing the lower classes we can ensure our country remains stable.​
5) Maintain Relations within the Empire - Diplomatic Reputation: +1
We are a part of the Empire, and a fairly important one at that. By maintaining good relations with the Holy Roman Emperor and other powerful states, we can be sure of our long-term existence.​
6) The Städtebünde - Global Trade Power: +10%
The Städtebünde were city leagues, groups of free cities created to promote and defend their own interests. One notable example of this is the Hanseatic League.​
7) Maintain Agents at the Reichshofrat - May infiltrate administration / Diplomats: +1
The Reichshofrat, or the Aulic Council, was one of two supreme courts in the Empire. It had exclusive jurisdiction in feudal affairs, as well as a number of other important things. As such, many free cities found it profitable to maintain agents at the Aulic Council, to ensure that the judgements made there don't affect the independence of the city, drain the city's treasury, or generally do something against their best interest.​
Ambitions - Morale of Armies: +10%
The Wikipedia page on Free Imperial Cities is actually really good (I also found out there were about 60 of them irl)

Obviously worth mentioning that you would switch to German Ideas if you stopped being a free city.

Here's my ideas for Free City ideas:

Traditions - Fort Defense: +10% / Land Force Limit Modifier: +25%
1) Urbs Imperialis Libera - Yearly Prestige: +1
The right of being a free city was granted to us by the Emperor himself. We should cherish this prestigious position that we have been given.​
2) Ensure Fair Leadership - Yearly Republican Tradition: +0.5
To ensure our city prospers, we must first run rigorous checks on who runs it. By setting very specific terms on who can and cannot be the Bürgermeister we will ensure that our city's leadership is just and fair.​
3) Ratsverwandte - National Tax Modifier: +10%
Although free cities and their constitution were republican, the government was oligarchic in nature and ruled by a town council composed of the patrician class, called the town council families (ratsverwandte). These families are economically secure and very important, so it would be wise to keep them ruling, at least partially.​
4) Appease the Beisassen - Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
The Beisassen were a lower class of citizen in a free imperial city: small artisans, craftsmen, day laborers and the poor. While the country is run by the rich, it rests on the back of the poor. By appeasing the lower classes we can ensure our country remains stable.​
5) Maintain Relations within the Empire - Diplomatic Reputation: +1
We are a part of the Empire, and a fairly important one at that. By maintaining good relations with the Holy Roman Emperor and other powerful states, we can be sure of our long-term existence.​
6) The Städtebünde - Global Trade Power: +10%
The Städtebünde were city leagues, groups of free cities created to promote and defend their own interests. One notable example of this is the Hanseatic League.​
7) Maintain Agents at the Reichshofrat - May infiltrate administration / Diplomats: +1
The Reichshofrat, or the Aulic Council, was one of two supreme courts in the Empire. It had exclusive jurisdiction in feudal affairs, as well as a number of other important things. As such, many free cities found it profitable to maintain agents at the Aulic Council, to ensure that the judgements made there don't affect the independence of the city, drain the city's treasury, or generally do something against their best interest.​
Ambitions - Morale of Armies: +10%
The Wikipedia page on Free Imperial Cities is actually really good (I also found out there were about 60 of them irl)

Obviously worth mentioning that you would switch to German Ideas if you stopped being a free city.
Yes definitely. I did look at the Wikipedia page (That's my usual source, since most people don't like historical accuracy for some reason.) This is why I want Regensburg. It was a Free City in 1444 and Bavaria didn't control it. This is also why I like your ideas. You make it very detailed. Kudos to you. :)
In other news. I got my first idea out of the three done and I want to see how I'm doing. Here it is!

Parman Ideas

Traditions:

• Fort Defense: +10%

• Global Trade Power +10%
Ideas:

• Parman Food: Our city has been known to have exquisite food like Prosciutto di Parma and the “True Cheese”. This makes us the city-state above all of cuisine. Yearly Prestige +1.

• Center of the Italian Wars: Our land has been always coveted by Europeans and Parma was the first major battle in the Italian Wars. During that time we were under control by the Pope and France. But what if we united with our brethren and stopped them from taking our land? What if we acted as one and treated each other like ourselves? Then we can produce the force to push out all encroachers. Years of Separatism -5

• Honored by the Romans: The Romans always honored us for our loyalty to them. This shows our loyalty to anybody who gives are way too. This can make our friends trust us and our enemies show some respect. Diplomatic Reputation +1

• University of Parma: Though there’s many universities in Italy, we have one of the oldest universities in Italy. We have been acquiring knowledge before the famous ones took hold so we have been an advantage when it comes to innovation. Technology Cost -7.5%

• Everlasting System of Fiefdom: Our nobles have always took hold of our land up until the 19th century. This will keep our peasants from being too uppity when in times of crises. Local Unrest -1

• We Like Our Independence: We have never liked to be under the control of somebody. Whether Milan of France, we like to rule our land without foreign limitations. So let’s get the peasants in to make sure our lands are never conquered. Hostile Core Creation Cost On Us: +50%

• Rebuild our City Again: Our city is always been sacked and looted. Whether by Attila the Hun or when being invaded, our city has always been damaged. So let’s rally our troops, rebuild our city, and show them who they are messing! Morale of Armies: +10%
Ambitions:

• Diplomat: +1

Last edited:
Yes definitely. I did look at the Wikipedia page (That's my usual source, since most people don't like historical accuracy for some reason.) This is why I want Regensburg. It was a Free City in 1444 and Bavaria didn't control it. This is also why I like your ideas. You make it very detailed. Kudos to you. :)
In other news. I got my first idea out of the three done and I want to see how I'm doing. Here it is!

Parman Ideas

Traditions:

• Fort Defense: +10%

• Trade Range: +33%
Ideas:

• Parman Food: Our city has been known to have exquisite food like Prosciutto di Parma and the “True Cheese”. This makes us the city-state above all of cuisine. Yearly Prestige +1.

• Center of the Italian Wars: Our land has been always coveted by Europeans and Parma was the first major battle in the Italian Wars. During that time we were under control by the Pope and France. But what if we united with our brethren and stopped them from taking our land? What if we acted as one and treated each other like ourselves? Then we can produce the force to push out all encroachers. Years of Separatism -5

• Honored by the Romans: The Romans always honored us for our loyalty to them. This shows our loyalty to anybody who gives are way too. This can make our friends trust us and our enemies show some respect. Diplomatic Reputation +1

• University of Parma: Though there’s many universities in Italy, we have one of the oldest universities in Italy. We have been acquiring knowledge before the famous ones took hold so we have been an advantage when it comes to innovation. Technology Cost -7.5%

• Everlasting System of Fiefdom: Our nobles have always took hold of our land up until the 19th century. This will keep our peasants from being too uppity when in times of crises. Local Unrest -1

• We Like Our Independence: We have never liked to be under the control of somebody. Whether Milan of France, we like to rule our land without foreign limitations. So let’s get the peasants in to make sure our lands are never conquered. Hostile Core Creation Cost On Us: +50%

• Rebuild our City Again: Our city is always been sacked and looted. Whether by Attila the Hun or when being invaded, our city has always been damaged. So let’s rally our troops, rebuild our city, and show them who they are messing! Morale of Armies: +10%
Ambitions:

• Diplomat: +1

Pretty good, though I don't understand the need for that much trade range when they're already within range of two of the richest nodes in the game. Perhaps global trade power would be better.

My input:
Iraq's idea with tolerance of the true faith +3 is really high, That I believe is better exclusive to byzantium.
+3 tolerance of the true faith is already quite powerful then it's tagged along with +1 missionary, That's two really good ideas in one and they aren't traditions.
I'd suggest making it tolerance of the true faith +2 and +1 missionary so it's not too powerful after all, iraq isn't a world power

one other problem is lebanon having slightly conflicting ideas tolerance of heathens 2 and +2 missionary strength. If it isn't weird enough they're both in the same idea group it's that they're both in the traditions
My suggestion: either switching them up a little or remove one of them namely missionary strength, it doesn't sound like lebanon to be converting a bunch of muslims given the fact that lebanon is more than half islam today

and then we have the missionaries +1, sounds like lebanon has ambitions to conquer the middle east o_O
"
Now that we have established ourselves in the Levant, we should look at expansion and conquering the area for the glory of our nation.
"

As for yemen, I don't have any complaints but I do have a suggestion to add goods produced in there, Idk where to put it or what to replace it with, But it sounds fitting for them (because coffee) ;F

Last edited:
Gouda is best cheese, you heathen!

My input:
Iraq's idea with tolerance of the true faith +3 is really high, That I believe is better exclusive to byzantium.
+3 tolerance of the true faith is already quite powerful then it's tagged along with +1 missionary, That's two really good ideas in one and they aren't traditions.
I'd suggest making it tolerance of the true faith +2 and +1 missionary so it's not too powerful after all, iraq isn't a world power

one other problem is lebanon having slightly conflicting ideas tolerance of heathens 2 and +2 missionary strength. If it isn't weird enough they're both in the same idea group it's that they're both in the traditions
My suggestion: either switching them up a little or remove one of them namely missionary strength, it doesn't sound like lebanon to be converting a bunch of muslims given the fact that lebanon is more than half islam today

and then we have the missionaries +1, sounds like lebanon has ambitions to conquer the middle east o_O
"
"

As for yemen, I don't have any complaints but I do have a suggestion to add goods produced in there, Idk where to put it or what to replace it with, But it sounds fitting for them (because coffee) ;F
Well obviously Lebanon, in real life, doesn't have any ambitions to conquer the Middle East. However, there should be a bit of leeway because at the end of the day this is an alternate history game. I can understand the complaint about the Iraqi idea and the Lebanese traditions though.

Pretty good, though I don't understand the need for that much trade range when they're already within range of two of the richest nodes in the game. Perhaps global trade power would be better.
Agree. Couldn't really think of a Tradition that would suit the Italian Trade. That makes more sense then.

Did you think of making ideas for colonies? I've noticed that only 5 colonial nations have unique ideas (Quebec, Brazil, Mexico, Canada and USA) while some such as Peru, Colombia or Haiti are just left out.

Did you think of making ideas for colonies? I've noticed that only 5 colonial nations have unique ideas (Quebec, Brazil, Mexico, Canada and USA) while some such as Peru, Colombia or Haiti are just left out.
Yes. @exaenae is planning on doing ideas for La Plata and Chile. My list for ideas is full but if there's a specific one you want I'll squeeze one in for you :).

Love the iraqi ideas. They are quite strong, may be a little bit too strong. It's a very fertile country with a rich history and culture though, and therefore should have a strong set.

Yes. @exaenae is planning on doing ideas for La Plata and Chile. My list for ideas is full but if there's a specific one you want I'll squeeze one in for you :).
I have Chile and La Plata done while Peru and Haiti are planned. Paraguay and Colombia are in no man's land where I have their idea sets but I don't like them.

Last edited:
I have Chile and La Plata done while Peru and Haiti are planned. Paraguay and Colombia are in no man's land where I have their idea sets but I don't like them.
I actually want to do UPCA, California and Louisana. Because since Louisana is fictional (UPCA and California might be. I don't know) I want to think of something for them.

I actually want to do UPCA, California and Louisana. Because since Louisana is fictional (UPCA and California might be. I don't know) I want to think of something for them.
I actually did the UPCA once but it was one of that was scrapped.

The UPCA did exist in real life, the United Provinces of Central America.

I actually did the UPCA once but it was one of that was scrapped.

The UPCA did exist in real life, the United Provinces of Central America.
It probably was, I've never heard of it for some reason. But I'll probably do the three after the Italian States (Which they are finished). But I've got other stuff for school so they'll wait until I post the ideas on Tuesday.