• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ajsieg

First Lieutenant
40 Badges
Sep 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
So this is an interesting one. This week is the Free City Idea group. These will given to you by event that will ask you if you want to have the ideas. Example:

We're a Free City! (MTTH 60 Months)
We have accepted the Emperor's request and we are now a Free City. But now there's a new debate going on in our government. Do we strive to be more of a Free City or keep our Traditions?

Keep our traditions.
Relations with Emperor: -20 (+1 Yearly)
Gets Keeping our Traditions for 15 Years giving:
Morale Of Armies: +7.5%

Let's become a true Free City:
Relations with Emperor: +20 (-1 Yearly)
Change Ideas to Free City Ideas

But anyway here are the ideas:
Free City Ideas

Traditions:

• Advisor costs: -10%
  • Production Efficiency +10%
Ideas:

• Obey the Emperor: Since we have accepted the Emperor's request. We should make it so we are loyal and keep our title. Yearly Republican Tradition: + 0.5 / Monthly Imperial Authority Gain: +25%

• Protect Our City: Since we rule one city, we need to protect it so we aren't eliminated. Let's build the walls and show the attackers that they we will die before they win. Fort Maintenance: -10% / National Garrison Growth +10%

• Free City Alliances: We are not alone. They're many counties that are like us. So why don't we join together and become an united front. This will help us be independent and protect us from encroachment. Diplomatic Relations +1

• Produce New Contracts: In times of war, the Emperor will jion us and protect us. But we can"t rely on that. We need to new contracts so we can protect ourselves when we need to you. Available Mercenaries: +75%

• Become Centers of Trade: By developing our cities, we become cities able to house Merchants and flow trade through. Why don't we develop our city to become able to match the wealthy cities. National Trade Power: +10%

• Increase Our Army: Our can small since we are only one province. So increasing the military to house more troops will fix the situation. Allowing us to defend against bigger enemies. Force Limit Modifier: +25%

• Tax Our Nobility: There's one thing to stop us from being a republic; the nobility. So the obcious solution is to tax them. We get more money and prevent them from assembling armies. National Tax Modifier: +10%
Ambitions:

• National Spy Defense: +20%
Next Week we will do: Parma, Pisa, and Modena.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I don't like the thought of this. Its too clunky and the free city already gives enough bonus, maybe if there were idearless germans but I don't think there are any left.

You mean relations with Emperor/?
Yes. My apologies.

I don't like the thought of this. Its too clunky and the free city already gives enough bonus, maybe if there were idearless germans but I don't think there are any left.
Well German Ideas don't really give any benefit to Free Cities. Diplo Rep. and an extra Missionary doesn't do anything for them. The design is that a Free City gets bonuses for being one. If they lose that status then they will go back to the original ideas. The development and trade Efficiency are good, but that doesn't do anything for them being an OPM. That's the idea of the ideas. To give them bonuses for being an OPM.

Well German Ideas don't really give any benefit to Free Cities. Diplo Rep. and an extra Missionary doesn't do anything for them. The design is that a Free City gets bonuses for being one. If they lose that status then they will go back to the original ideas. The development and trade Efficiency are good, but that doesn't do anything for them being an OPM. That's the idea of the ideas. To give them bonuses for being an OPM.
That seems like odd programming, national ideas are meant to represent culture not status of government, so it kind of goes against the general game design choices if you ask me, sorry.

That seems like odd programming, national ideas are meant to represent culture not status of government, so it kind of goes against the general game design choices if you ask me, sorry.

I think an argument can be made along the lines that free cities have slightly differing culture than other German states?

Reactions:
Well what about Colonial Ideas? They represent them being a colonial Nation or a Nation in the New World, French Ducal, Daimyo, Divine (Theocracy. These ideas are all based on government types and Free City Ideas is the same thing. Culture doesn't have to be the whole basis for the Ideas. Especially government types. I wish a moderator would reply to see what they think of it.
I think an argument can be made along the lines that free cities have slightly differing culture than other German states?
They're assigned by the Emperor to be a free city and to develop trade and their city. It makes sense to say that their culture was the same but they wanted to promote their cities.

Reactions:
Well what about Colonial Ideas? They represent them being a colonial Nation or a Nation in the New World, French Ducal, Daimyo, Divine (Theocracy. These ideas are all based on government types and Free City Ideas is the same thing. Culture doesn't have to be the whole basis for the Ideas. Especially government types. I wish a moderator would reply to see what they think of it.
Would you just apply it to the nations who don't have unique ideas? I think they are just set pieces waiting to be replaced, I don't know how else you would do colonial nations, you make a good argument though :)

One other thing; what about making Obey the emperor give Imperial Authority? It makes more sense than republic tradition, though both together works too.

Would you just apply it to the nations who don't have unique ideas? I think they are just set pieces waiting to be replaced, I don't know how else you would do colonial nations, you make a good argument though :)
I don't know how you would do Free Cities, so there ;). But here, let me explain how the ideas will work.
Let's say Montferrat was independant and has their own ideas and will accept to be a free city (This has happened when I was Austria) and you got them to be a free city. Montferrat will get the "event" and will change (or not) to the idea group. If they lose Free City status, they will go back to their original ideas (aka Montferrat Ideas in this situation. It's the idea that's coded for the nation.) I don't know how they will do for the ones already a Free City (Maybe they will get the event day 2 or something). Hopefully that clears my intentions :)
One other thing; what about making Obey the emperor give Imperial Authority? It makes more sense than republic tradition, though both together works too.
I thought of that ( instead +.03 for 7 Free Cities, each city (Max 7) increase it by 25% (Of theirs) so it's more.) but that might make it more OP (But if you get my event idea, then it would make sense). I will put it in for now. Thanks :)

Last edited:
I Montferrat will get the "event" and will change (or not) to the idea group. ... I don't know how they will do for the ones already a Free City (Maybe they will get the event day 2 or something).

How about give it a MTTH of a few years? If it represents the people changing slightly to adapt to life in a free city style state as opposed to a small monarchy or theocracy it would take time. How about MTTH = 60 months?

Reactions:
How about give it a MTTH of a few years? If it represents the people changing slightly to adapt to life in a free city style state as opposed to a small monarchy or theocracy it would take time. How about MTTH = 60 months?
That could work and it makes sense.I'll do that.

What would you program the AI to do? take the new ideas 50% of the time or what?
Now that is what I was wondering. I don't know if it should be 50-50 or what. Suggestions?

More likely if they had generic ideas (German ideas, basic national ideas etc), less likely if they have a military ruler (gonna want the army morale, plus they aren't gonna be a free city for long if things go well...)

More likely if they had generic ideas (German ideas, basic national ideas etc), less likely if they have a military ruler (gonna want the army morale, plus they aren't gonna be a free city for long if things go well...)
So 100% if they have Generic Ideas and 20/80 If they have unique ideas/Militarist Ruler?

Honestly while the idea isn't bad I'd rather just have unique NIs for each of the free cities and potential free cities. Anything to break up the blob of German NIs. These ideas would make a good base for making unique NIs for the Free Cities however.

Honestly while the idea isn't bad I'd rather just have unique NIs for each of the free cities and potential free cities. Anything to break up the blob of German NIs. These ideas would make a good base for making unique NIs for the Free Cities however.
They still will, but you have the option to change your ideas if your ideas aren't fit for a OPM (Core Creation Cost for example or Culture Threshold). This is more for the AI to enhance the Free City Mechanic because it's a mechanic that feel incomplete. Plus, if you want to play a Free City game (ex. Nuremberg), your ideas might not fit for a Free City. If you want to be a Free City, then go to the new ideas, but if you want to expand, then keep your ideas. It's your choice. The argument that they need unique ideas doesn't work because it's your choice and your ideas are only replaced when you accept the event. You get your original ideas back if you aren't a Free City. It's not permanent.

Last edited: