• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((So you want Sassari instead of Cagliari? If you're suggesting to claim both, I can't allow that. Everyone gets one title and one title only. I'm not merging them either, since they both existed as archbishoprics.))

((It should be available to everyone to view and edit, unless of course the Chinese government is watching you and disapproves. :D))

((I will keep Cagliari))

Xs93UHA.png

We here at court have many things to discuss. First of all, my congratulations to Stefano von Thun for his appointment to the Cortz. I am sure he will serve me and his fellow nobles well. Now we have plenty to vote on.

We have several laws proposed by the court that should be discussed, Including the implementation of church taxes in the future. I also wish for the court to consider the revision of the Strategic Islands Act. It is vague and suggests that any island in a "strategic position" be "possibly" given a fort. What constitutes a strategic position and who decides whether a fort should possibly be built? I suggest the fort portion be removed entirely. I see no problem with building up our islands as naval bases though.

Speaking of forts, I believe it is time to consider dismantling a few. There are some that are of little strategic value and simply drain our treasury. The ones that come to mind are in Cadiz, Murcia, Messina, and Roussillon. For Cadiz, the fort in Granada provides protection for the same provinces and some more. Murcia only protects itself and La Mancha, but perhaps it is still useful as long as Castile shares our border. Messina does protect all of Sicily, but the island has not been invaded in over half a century. Our navy is more valuable in protecting the island than a fort. As for Roussillon, its proximity to Girona makes it virtually useless except in slowing down an invasion from the north, but with the French on our border that is unlikely. In fact, it is even more useless because enemies can march through Navarra or Pirineo without interference. I thus propose we build a fort in Navarra to keep enemies from marching through France and through our northern border, as well as to hold back the Castilians if we go to war again. It also has the added benefit of slowing down any future naval invasions such as we faced against the English.

There is also the matter of our goals. Years ago this court decided that we should take Negroponte as our own. While we are rivals of Venice, we have not had the opportunity to move against them and perhaps we shall not for some time. Our focus seems to be shifting westward. Perhaps it is time we consider pursuing other goals.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((As you can gather, this will be a large vote. Before we proceed, there is one more matter I wish to discuss for an OOC vote. With exploration on the horizon, I need to figure out how to manage the process. I already have decided that explorers will get to choose from the in-game missions and are then funded by the Crown to explore those regions, but I need to figure out something for how to choose explorers. It's clear that multiple people are interested. I was originally going to have only one explorer, since we can only manage a small number of expeditions at a time. However, I want to give multiple people the chance to explore. Assuming we only have one or two exploration expeditions occurring at a time, we have two options to choose from: assign a limited number of generic explorers to all exploration missions and roleplay that they are the players (Plan 1) or add in every player explorer and manually swap them out between missions (Plan 2). The first option is a lot easier for me for managing exploration, but would take away from player interaction. The second will involve adding a lot of players as explorers and could get quite frustrating if the game keeps killing them off. If I do this second option, it would be assumed that whenever a player explorer dies, their proposal for exploration is either denied by the Crown or they died during the expedition. I'll add an OOC vote for this.

Anyway, this vote will last until Tuesday at 12pm PST. Please bold your votes and include your character name and class. Here is the long list of votes:

Court Chaplain's Plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Yes/No/Abstain
General Ordinance of 1507: Yes/No/Abstain
Disaster Prevention Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Revise Strategic Islands Act?: Yes/No/Abstain
Cancel Negroponte Mission?: Yes/No/Abstain
Dismantle Cadiz Fort?: Yes/No/Abstain
Dismantle Murcia Fort?: Yes/No/Abstain
Dismantle Messina Fort?: Yes/No/Abstain
Dismantle Roussillon Fort?: Yes/No/Abstain
Build Fort in Navarra?: Yes/No/Abstain
OOC Explorers: Plan 1/Plan 2/Abstain

I apologize for the spam of fort votes, but I really need to know if they should be kept or not. They're such a drain on our treasury.))

Last edited:
Vincenzo Castelozzi appeared at court to speak about the many matters presented to vote on. He kept it brief, for he had other delicate affairs to deal with.

Court Chaplain's Plan: Abstain
It is for the clergy to decide such things.

Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: No
It is certainly beneficial for Aragon, yes - but not at all for France. On the contrary. For some additional ducats, we should not stain our long-standing alliance with such a one-sided company. With our enemies, Castile and the merchant republics, such a company may be a good idea, but not towards our allies.

General Ordinance of 1507: Yes
Disaster Prevention Act: Yes

Revise Strategic Islands Act?: Yes
It would be a waste of money, as long as our navy keeps the control of the Mediterranean.

Cancel Negroponte Mission?: Yes
Dismantle Cadiz Fort?: Yes
Dismantle Murcia Fort?: Abstain
Dismantle Messina Fort?: Yes
Dismantle Roussillon Fort?: Yes
Build Fort in Navarra?: Yes
((OOC Explorers: Abstain))

[landed noble, diplomat, minister]

Court Chaplain's Plan: Si
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Si- we must promote trade so that Aragon's economy may grow
General Ordinance of 1507: Si
Disaster Prevention Act: No- manning so many forts would be a waste of money and I do not foresee any so-called "disaster" on the horizon. Besides, what would one define as a disaster?
Revise Strategic Islands Act?: Si- I agree with His Majesty, as it would be a waste of money to maintain so many forts when we possess such a strong navy.
Cancel Negroponte Mission?: Si- The kingdom should turn her eyes to more profitable and productive ventures.
Dismantle Cadiz Fort?: Si
Dismantle Murcia Fort?: Si
Dismantle Messina Fort?: Si
Dismantle Roussillon Fort?: Si
Build Fort in Navarra?: Si
((OOC Explorers: Plan 2))

-Alejando Sancho

[courtier]

{Archbishop, Clergy}

Court Chaplain's Plan: No
Obviously his Eminence forgets the separation of the state and Curia's affairs
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Yes
The forts of our country provide stability and protect the countryside in times of test.
Revise Strategic Islands Act?: No
Sardinia, Malta, and Sicily are strategic Islands that need forts on them to protect themselves while the army arrives. It is imperative that our islands not be isolated.
Dismantle Murcia Fort?: Yes
Dismantle Messina Fort?: No
As I previously stated: Just because Sicily hasn't been invaded doesn't mean it won't. One fort for the island is necessary.
OOC Explorers: abstain

-Raffaelo Módena, Primate of Sardinia, Archbishop of Cagliari

Your Majesty,

I will leave the Court Chaplain's plan for the clergy to consider. I also frankly do not understand the point of the General Ordinance of 1507, but I will support the Disaster Prevention Act. I also agree on revising the Strategic Islands Act; the wording sounds confusing to me, too. Negroponte can be abandoned for now, chiefly because it is of less importance as say, Split. As for the forts, we should just dismantle the ones in Cadíz and Rousillon; Sicily might actually be invaded one day, and we will need the Murcia fort as long as Castile looms over our capital; if we take theirs, Murcia would no longer need a fort. A fort in Nafarroa would serve our needs.

With regards,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker

((Letter addressed to Maxime de Saint-Pierre))

As a fellow merchant, I support your trade company.

--Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker

((As for the OOC Explorers, I'm sure Plan 2 would fit fine. Though Ferdinand might want to be an explorer and abandon the merchant title...))
((Court Chaplain's Plan: Abstain
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Ja
General Ordinance of 1507: Abstain
Disaster Prevention Act: Ja
Revise Strategic Islands Act?: Ja
Cancel Negroponte Mission?: Ja
Dismantle Cadiz Fort?: Ja
Dismantle Murcia Fort?: Nein
Dismantle Messina Fort?: Nein
Dismantle Roussillon Fort?: Ja
Build Fort in Navarra?: Ja
OOC Explorers: Plan 2
))

[Admiral, Grandmaster, Merchant]

My Liege,

Court Chaplain's Plan: Abstain
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Yes, trade is the lifeblood of our nation and any way we have to further it is a boon to king and country.
Disaster Prevention Act: Abstain , for I believe this to be a good idea, but know that those better versed with the affairs of the entire Crown of Aragon know more than me even as Viceroy.
Cancel Negroponte Mission?: Abstain, we should move to take more land from Venice but we also decide that we need to do something else first until we drive them from Greece.
Dismantle Cadiz Fort?: Abstain
Dismantle Murcia Fort?: Abstain
Dismantle Messina Fort?: Abstain
Dismantle Roussillon Fort?: Abstain
Build Fort in Navarra?: Si
I know little of what we should and should not maintain for my interest in the military is purely scholarly, but I do know that a further fort with our French border may be a good idea if they wish to contest a potential union with Castile.
((OOC Explorers: Plan 2))

Your Grace,
Jaume Limmona, Viceroy of Naples and Count in Naples

Court Chaplins plan: abstain
Recognition of Trading company: yes
General Ordinance of 1507: yes
Revise Strategic Isles Act: abstain
Disaster Prevention Act: abstain
Cancel Negroponte mission: yes
Dismantle Forts: abstain
Fort in Navarra: yes
((OOC, explorers: abstain))

Cardinal de Soneta, Archbishop to Pirineo)
Edit: adjusted view on chaplins plan from yes to abstain

Last edited:
My King

I vote Yes on all ongoing votes ((except for the OOC one, you really should decide by yourself since it'd obviously get pretty annoying if a general dies every other day. Abstain, if you didn't get it :p)). I believe the dismanteling of all those redundant forts to be a good step towards a growing treasury. May I also propose an increase to gold production? The inflation would be harsh, surely, but not to a point where we would lose more ducats to it than we would gain from the mines.

Then, I have two other things to discuss here. The first one is about the fate of Castille. If their fool of a king doesn't get a child of his own until our truce expires, shouldn't we show them that we actually care about their people too? Shouldn't we show them that it actually is You, Your Majesty who should rightfully rule over their lands? Surely, the old king wouldn't accept this and the war would be bloody, but it's just for the good of all of Iberia, isn't it ((or in ingame language, claim their throne and start a succession war))?

On another matter, may I request the title Duke of Zaragoza from Your Grace? I know it's no small request, but I promise you that me and my family will always proof worthy of it. And as we're talking of it, my thanks for accepting me for the Cortz, I will keep the interests of everyone worthy high.

Then I have a question from Alejandro Sancho to answer. Would a civil or peasant war in our wide-spread realm be enough to be called a... disaster? And I've seen many angry faces in my county recently who dared call me tyrant... and I'm sure I'm not the only one facing such problems, am I not?

Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza
Marshal of the Realm

My King

I vote Yes on all ongoing votes ((except for the OOC one, you really should decide by yourself since it'd obviously get pretty annoying if a general dies every other day. Abstain, if you didn't get it :p)). I believe the dismanteling of all those redundant forts to be a good step towards a growing treasury. May I also propose an increase to gold production? The inflation would be harsh, surely, but not to a point where we would lose more ducats to it than we would gain from the mines.

Then, I have two other things to discuss here. The first one is about the fate of Castille. If their fool of a king doesn't get a child of his own until our truce expires, shouldn't we show them that we actually care about their people too? Shouldn't we show them that it actually is You, Your Majesty who should rightfully rule over their lands? Surely, the old king wouldn't accept this and the war would be bloody, but it's just for the good of all of Iberia, isn't it ((or in ingame language, claim their throne and start a succession war))?

On another matter, may I request the title Duke of Zaragoza from Your Grace? I know it's no small request, but I promise you that me and my family will always proof worthy of it. And as we're talking of it, my thanks for accepting me for the Cortz, I will keep the interests of everyone worthy high.

Then I have a question from Alejandro Sancho to answer. Would a civil or peasant war in our wide-spread realm be enough to be called a... disaster? And I've seen many angry faces in my county recently who dared call me tyrant... and I'm sure I'm not the only one facing such problems, am I not?

Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza
Marshal of the Realm

Xs93UHA.png

We shall see if gold production in La Mancha can be improved. Focus may be placed elsewhere for some time. I am uncertain of whether or not to consider pushing such a claim. While the current king is indeed our relative, knowing that the French may intervene for whatever reason is a bit worrisome. ((We technically cannot claim their throne because we do not have a royal marriage. Of course since I'm allowed to edit royal marriages, I could technically add one in if we wish to press the claim, or simply give us the claim throne CB with the console. It's something to consider.))

Did the messenger never reach your home? I had word sent to you that you had been granted a duchy. If the messenger never arrived, I will ensure he is found and whipped for slacking in his duties. ((Everyone who is newly appointed to the Cortz should just assume they have been granted a ducal or equivalent title. Makes things easier for me.))

Are the peasants acting uppity again? I knew they were a few years ago, but they seemed to have calmed down. ((This is the problem with vague laws. If I interpret it literally, it means that any in-game disaster, even if it's at only 1% progress and not gaining any more, would require us to man every fort. Personally, regardless of what it says, I'm interpreting it as any in-game disaster gaining progress and is over a certain percentage (50% maybe?), but maybe this should be ironed out now. Under my interpretation, we would not man the forts because the Peasant War is not gaining progress anymore.))

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Your majesty,

All of the proposed plans are excellent, with the exception of the Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. Why allow for such a monopoly when goods could more easily be shipped over the waters of the Mediterranean?

-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

(( Court Chaplain's Plan: Yes
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: No
Cancel Negroponte Mission?: Yes/
Build Fort in Navarra?: Yes/
OOC Explorers: Plan 1 ))

To the Court,

First, any critical opposition to my plan is welcome. If the vote fails I will most likely alter the parameters of the plan for the next court session.

The creation of monopolistic trading companies is hard to reconcile with my vows of poverty, although the Church supports the idea of sound protectionist economic policies, I will abstain from this vote. ((historically, the Church used contemporary economic theory to create supply and demand for selling indulgences))

Whilst the former is needed for determining the age of applicants for ecclesiastical office, it also has applications in the efficiency of tax collection.

The idea of data collection and transparency is inspired. I fully support the implementation of this law. Diligent and transparent record-keeping can be a powerful tool that has been demonstrated by the various Republican trading empires, including Genoa and Venice, already.

As for the other items up for debate, they are all simple and sound policies, except as a Sicilian I'm concerned that dismantling the only fort on the island will prove harmful in the long term, especially if we are shifting to a more aggressive stance against Genoa.

May God Bless Aragon,

Cardinal Abate
Court Chaplin
Archbishop of Palermo

((Court Chaplain's Plan: Yes
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Abstain
OOC Explorers: Abstain
I don't plan on pursuing exploration so this doesn't really apply to me))

[Clergy, Cardinal, Court Chaplin]

Your Majesty,

As I have some personal business to attend to at this point, I shall Abstain to all votes for now.

Your loyal subject,
Antonio de Leon, Count of Syracuse

((
Court Chaplain's Plan: No
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Yes
General Ordinance of 1507: No
Disaster Prevention Act: No
Revise Strategic Islands Act?: No
Cancel Negroponte Mission?: No
Dismantle Roussillon Fort?: No
))

[Francesco Chiave; Courtier]

((Well we've hit the deadline. Here are the results:

Court Chaplain's Plan: Passed
Recognition of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company: Passed
General Ordinance of 1507: Passed
Disaster Prevention Act: Passed

I guess I should go edit the rules for exploration to account for plan 2. I'm a bit surprised so many people abstained. Maybe less people want to be explorers than I thought.))

Maxime was very excited to hear the news about official support for Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. With it becoming an official Aragonse organization he could no longer manage it from his home in Foix. He needed an office in Valencia, the heart of Aragon. His partner Cardinal Sastre offered him a very nice building at an excellent price. Because of that Maxime offered a bigger cut of the profits to the Cardinal. Now only to move in. after few days of setting up everything was ready. With his company officially becoming part of the Aragonse trade network he needed more merchants to deal with everything. And news about exotic goods of Africa and the New World to the west didn't miss him. He would need brave men who would sail to discover more of those goods. On other matters he would also need more people to smuggle the salt. But that would have to wait. Now the most pressing matter was to expand TPTC. Surely there would be people eager to join.

To all men in Aragon,
If you seek fortune join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company! We are looking for merchants who would transport the goods and sell it. If you are interested please visit out office in Valencia. We offer you fair share of the profits for your hard work. We are also recruiting any brave man who are willing to sail south, and west in search of fortune and exotic goods. We offer you reliable ships and basic equipment. All we ask in return is cargo of goods found during the expedition! Pleas follow the same steps if you wish to join.
Sincerely,
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company

I wish to join the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company. The Chiave family is among the most successful merchant families in Italy. With our main base in Sardinia, we will be able to increase the profits of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company by selling goods in Italy and beyond. Especially, my good relations in Genoa can contribute to maximize the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company's profits. As long as my cut is fair, I am willing to join your organization.
Exploring the Unknown is also something I am tempted by. I have the financial backing of my my family and a reliable merchant fleet at my disposal.

Best,
Francesco Chiave