• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

exaenae

Corporal
24 Badges
Jan 29, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Iraq
Traditions - Yearly Army Tradition Decay: -1% / Core-Creation Cost: -20%

1) Cradle of Civilization - Yearly Prestige: +1
Mesopotamia is widely considered the cradle of civilization. Without that land, none of our threats and attackers wouldn't be here today.
2) The Imam Ali Mosque - Missionaries: +1 / Tolerance of the True Faith: +3
The Imam Ali Mosque is the third holiest site for followers of Shia Islam. It is visited by tens of thousands of pilgrims every year that pay tribute to Imam Ali. Some of these are trained missionaries, and we can convince them to pursue a higher goal by converting the heathens and heretics we conquer.
3) Fortify Baghdad - Fort Defense: +20%
Baghdad was invaded many times throughout history, most famously by the Mongols. We must prevent further invasions, or at least delay them, by fortifying our capital and defending it to the last man.
4) Restore the Bayt al-Hikma - Technology Cost: -5%
The House of Wisdom, or Bayt al-Hikma was a major intellectual center during the Islamic Golden Age. It was founded in Baghdad by Caliph Harun al-Rashid and destroyed during the Siege of Baghdad in 1258 by the barbaric Mongols. By restoring the House of Wisdom we can once again become the beacon of Muslim learning.
5) Metropolis of the Muslim World - Idea Cost: -10%
Built in 8th Century by the Abbasid Caliphate, Baghdad quickly became the leading metropolis of the Arab and Muslim world for several centuries. Since we control this city and proclaimed it our capital, we must take advantage of its prestigious title to attract the cultural elite of the Muslim world.
6) The Land Between Rivers - National Manpower Modifier: +25%
Mesopotamia is located between the rivers Euphrates and Tigris, and its land is incredibly fertile. By further cultivating land in the cradle of civilization, our manpower reserves will be plentiful.
7) Promote Multiculturalism - Accepted Culture Threshold: -15%
Baghdad is a city of incredible cultural diversity. By encouraging citizens of different cultures to be accepting to each other, our society will become accepting and people seeking refuge in our capital will be accepted.
Ambition - Discipline: +5%

Lebanon
Traditions - Tolerance of Heathens: +2 / Missionary Strength: +2%
1) Legacy of the Crusades - Discipline: +5%

The Kingdom of Lebanon was an important part of the Crusades. We can revive this legacy for the glory of our nation.
2) Phoenician Traditions - Merchants: +1
Our lands were once owned by the Phoenicians, one of the greatest trading powers in the Mediterranean. Reviving their heritage will benefit our nation greatly.
3) Convert the Heathens - Missionaries: +1
Our unique position in the area means we are surrounded by hostile religions. We should make all attempts to convert them to the true faith.
4) Bastion of Christianity in the Levant - Fort Defense: +15% / Yearly Papal Influence: +1
We are in a precarious position as the only Christian country in the Levant. Improving our defenses should help dissuade the Muslims from attacking us.
5) Cedar Wood of Mount Lebanon - Trade Efficiency: +10%
According to the Old Testament, the Phoenician king Hiram I sent engineers to build the Jewish Temple of Jerusalem out of cedar wood found on Mount Lebanon. The Phoenicians also traded with Egypt for this wood, and so can we: let us trade with the lumber-poor yet ultimately rich countries. They get access to fine wood, and we get money!
6) Conquer the Levant - Infantry Combat Ability: +15%
Now that we have established ourselves in the Levant, we should look at expansion and conquering the area for the glory of our nation.
7) Merchant Fleets - Light Ship Cost: -15%
Let us put our focus on constructing ships to protect our trading interests, as well as placing merchants on these fleets that will oversee the safe arrival of cargo into our ports.
Ambition - Recover Army Morale Speed: +10%

Yemen
Traditions - Trade Efficiency: +10% / Embargo Efficiency: +10%

1) Control the Gulf of Aden - Light Ship Combat Ability: +20%

The trade flowing through the Gulf of Aden is rich. Naturally, it attracts pirates, but we must improve our fleet to ensure the trade flows freely, and the goods end up where they're supposed to.
2) Rasulid Literature - Idea Cost: -10%
Several sultans of the Rasulid dynasty were very culturally prominent, being educated men who wrote letters and literature. Their heirlooms remain with us and strengthen our sense of national pride.
3) Port of Aden - Global Trade Power: +10%
The Port of Aden is one of the most important trading ports in Arabia, and holds significance as the entrance to the Red Sea. As long as we retain control of this city we can control both incoming and outgoing trade.
4) Exported Horses - Military Technology Cost: -10%
Horses, along with agricultural crops, are the most important exports of our nation. As long as there is demand for horses in the Muslim world, we will have someone to sell them to. And as long as there is an exchange of goods, there is an exchange of information.
5) Tahirid Builders - Build Cost: -20%
The Tahirids were a local clan in Yemen who were keen builders, constructing schools, mosques and irrigation channels as well as bridges in many Yemeni cities.
6) Provide Protection to Jewish Merchants - Merchants: +1 / National Tax Modifier: +5%
The Gulf of Aden attracts merchants of all races and creeds, including the Jewish. If we can make Jewish merchants a protected class in our country we can greatly benefit from their knowledge.
7) Red Sea Toll - Trade Power Abroad: +25%
Due to the strategic position our country holds on the Red Sea, we can enforce a toll on any ships attempting to enter or leave these waters.
Ambition - Cavalry Combat Ability: +10%

It's the "Countries that have generic Arabian ideas" special! As always, comments are appreciated.

I think this is my best set of ideas to date, and I'm quite happy with how they've all turned out. However, I have come to the conclusion that some of the ideas may be a *bit* OP so comments are welcome.

Next time, we're off to Europe: Brabant, Flanders, Liege

Reactions:
Upvote 0
These are great. Just know that people are always upset about Core Creation Cost in ideas.

Reactions:
These are great. Just know that people are always upset about Core Creation Cost in ideas.
I always tend to see these people, to which I usually like to reply that Naxos has lower Core-Creation Cost in its ideas and I don't remember the great Naxian Empire from my history lessons.

Plus I already removed Core Creation from Lebanon's ideas, AND nerfed them (to be fair you don't want to see the original Lebanese ideas, they were stupidly OP).

I always tend to see these people, to which I usually like to reply that Naxos has lower Core-Creation Cost in its ideas and I don't remember the great Naxian Empire from my history lessons.

Plus I already removed Core Creation from Lebanon's ideas, AND nerfed them (to be fair you don't want to see the original Lebanese ideas, they were stupidly OP).

I had the same problem with Brunswick Ideas. Also, Baden and Bosnia also have Core Creation Cost. CCC is not a bad thing, especially with Development now. I don't see why people get upset if one nation gets -15% or something.

Generally very good suggestion. Just one point to address and trying not to be provocative, some academic studies have showed that the Southern Iraq is not a majority Shiite region until roughly the 19th century, when those Shiite clergies in Karbala and Najaf sent missionaries to local tribes and villages. Thus adding Imam Ali Masjid may be a little bit inapprobriate and partisan. Instead adding an idea that give Iraq tolerance of true faith and missionary strength, why not instead giving it some bonus of religious unity or tolerance of heretics and heathens? Of course, none of those was historically correct, since the nation of Iraq, a more creation, has never existed during the Eu4 time period and before.

Generally very good suggestion. Just one point to address and trying not to be provocative, some academic studies have showed that the Southern Iraq is not a majority Shiite region until roughly the 19th century, when those Shiite clergies in Karbala and Najaf sent missionaries to local tribes and villages. Thus adding Imam Ali Masjid may be a little bit inapprobriate and partisan. Instead adding an idea that give Iraq tolerance of true faith and missionary strength, why not instead giving it some bonus of religious unity or tolerance of heretics and heathens? Of course, none of those was historically correct, since the nation of Iraq, a more creation, has never existed during the Eu4 time period and before.
Obviously the idea set is supposed to be more appropriate for the Iraq that would technically exist within the game's time period (released by war or however), but I will consider changing it.

Obviously the idea set is supposed to be more appropriate for the Iraq that would technically exist within the game's time period (released by war or however), but I will consider changing it.

Since Iraq never existed, it makes sense to say "What would be its situation?" and then look up its history to provides ideas and then gameplay ideas to balance it out. I'm curious, how long does it take to create an idea? Usually it's an hour at most (30 Minutes usually.) for research and create the word style for the ideas.

They all look very well researched and good ideas to me although lebanon look a bit strong, I would dampen theirs a little bit.
Well Lebanon is weak and the Ottoderps are next to them so it's kinda makes sense.

Since Iraq never existed, it makes sense to say "What would be its situation?" and then look up its history to provides ideas and then gameplay ideas to balance it out. I'm curious, how long does it take to create an idea? Usually it's an hour at most (30 Minutes usually.) for research and create the word style for the ideas.
Research takes half an hour to an hour, writing the flavor text in a proper manner takes about half an hour more, and then putting everything in the game takes an additional half an hour as well.

(add an hour to an hour and a half onto that if the country's obscure (I once spent two hours making Corfu's ideas and completely scrapped them because they ended up having no historical basis whatsoever)).

Research takes half an hour to an hour, writing the flavor text in a proper manner takes about half an hour more, and then putting everything in the game takes an additional half an hour as well.

(add an hour to an hour and a half onto that if the country's obscure (I once spent two hours making Corfu's ideas and completely scrapped them because they ended up having no historical basis whatsoever)).
Poor Corfu, what roughly did you have for them?

Poor Corfu, what roughly did you have for them?
For a start they had extra tax and missionary strength because their starting province is terrible. A lot of naval stuff, some prestige, and +20% Light Ship Combat Ability as the ambition.

I'll probably revisit them at some point, because they don't deserve National Ideas.

Other scrapped ideas include Paraguay, Kokkand and Bukhara (I know I made Kokkand underpowered on purpose and their ideas were quite funny in how Pomerania/Naples-bad they were).

That's pretty good. What else are you planning on doing for ideas.
For a start they had extra tax and missionary strength because their starting province is terrible. A lot of naval stuff, some prestige, and +20% Light Ship Combat Ability as the ambition.

I'll probably revisit them at some point, because they don't deserve National Ideas.

Other scrapped ideas include Paraguay, Kokkand and Bukhara (I know I made Kokkand underpowered on purpose and their ideas were quite funny in how Pomerania/Naples-bad they were).
I've scrapped some. Including Ferrara and Crimea (Somebody made it already)

That's pretty good. What else are you planning on doing for ideas.

I can give you countries whose ideas I've already done (that I haven't posted yet).
They are: Aquileia, Brabant, Cornwall, Chile, Crete, Flanders, Karelia, Malta, Montferrat, Lorraine, La Plata, Liege (Brabant, Flanders and Liege for next time).

A few ideas need polish and I currently have a few countries on my shortlist.

(also you've triple posted because the Paradox Forums are a bit laggy so I recommend deleting a couple of these)

I want to know now.

I once spent two hours making Corfu's ideas and completely scrapped them because they ended up having no historical basis whatsoever
I also tried to make ideas for Corfu but that's impossible!

I want to know now.
The full list of changes I made to Lebanon from the original (insanely OP) draft are:
  • Bumped down Fort Defense from "Bastion of Christianity in the Levant" +25% to +15%
  • Replaced +20% Infantry Combat Ability as the Tradition with +10% Army Morale Recovery Speed
  • Replaced -25% Core-Creation Cost with +15% Infantry Combat Ability
  • The original idea "Phoenician Traditions" gave both a Merchant and +5% Trade Efficiency, which was bumped down to just a merchant. So the Trade Efficiency was moved to the "Cedar Wood of Mount Lebanon" idea which was originally lower Shipbuilding Time and lower Ship Cost
  • -15% Light Ship Cost is a brand new idea and replaced -2 National Unrest (and the new idea itself went down from -20%)
  • And the ideas were generally shuffled around to what I thought made more sense
There's also probably a few changes that are lost to the sands of time, but this should be most of it.

I think you'll agree with me that the original was quite insanely good, while these are fairly reasonable (at least compared to the original ones). Though I did have a bit of reason behind the large bonuses, they just felt too OP for a minor nation, so I buffed them down while still keeping the ideas pretty strong.

Last edited:
I can give you countries whose ideas I've already done (that I haven't posted yet).
They are: Aquileia, Brabant, Cornwall, Chile, Crete, Flanders, Karelia, Malta, Montferrat, Lorraine, La Plata, Liege (Brabant, Flanders and Liege for next time).

A few ideas need polish and I currently have a few countries on my shortlist.

(also you've triple posted because the Paradox Forums are a bit laggy so I recommend deleting a couple of these)
Nice. Here are my ideas. (Fixed the triple post.)
(Parma, Pisa, Modena,) (Golden Horde, Oirat, Sibir,) Ndongo, (Delhi, Sind, Nagaur,) (Alsace, Toulouse, Picardy), Darfur, (QQ, AQ, Shirvan,) (Malwa, Mewar, Marwar,), Multan, (Cologne, Trier, Mainz), (Jaffna, Malabar, Kochin,) Sarig Yogir, (Mombasa, Malindi, Pate,) (Madurai, Mysore, Keladi,)
The single ones is one that doesn't fit in a group and gives me a break when I need it (When school gets intense). Parentheses are a group associated with a region.