• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reverend Senator Dooley Azizid, Bishop of the Roman Far East (Blue Demes):

"I am humbled." Bishop Dooley said to Hvide. "If you want to be of help, notify your superiors of the treachery that the yerönkhiilögch has done on innocents to punish the guilty. I must go."

The Bishop turned and walked off, sucking in breath as he endured the pain.

We are alone aren't we? We are whipped not for our sins, but for our homeland. We are whipped because Rome cannot defeat the Horde, so they attack Azizid, they cannot defeat Pisa, so they attack me. What a victory achieved! Pisa and the Horde forced to kneel and pay for their crimes! Look at Rome's triumph! Look at the Glory of Caesar! You have acted wisely my brother Azizid. I have my own letter to send. In fact...

I have two.

Bishop Dooley led Capponi through a lesser used corridor and opened a door to a small, dark room. A candle was nearby, which Dooley promptly lit. Shutting and locking the door behind him, he spoke quietly to the man he suffered alongside.

"Do not blame the Imperium for the acts of that vile man." the clergyman whispered. "He is not Rome. He is a bigot, a fool, a liar and a cheat. He has no honor, he respects no man, he spits on the holy Khagan Angeloi by asserting power unfit for his meager Ail to wield. He disgraces his sovereign, and he will pay at the discretion of the holy Khagan Angeloi, if not in this life, then the next."

He nodded.

"You are right in us being alone. As our suffering is one, our cause is one."

Bishop Dooley looked at Cappino, the Mongol's slanted eyes piercing through Cappino's.

"You have singlehandedly defended me for this entire session. You may have even aided my brother. Your clan has long defended those unlike them, but still Roman, in such a way that I cannot further ignore the bonds between our two clans."

He paused for effect.

"Senator Lodovico... what do you know of the Anda? It's a thing we Mongolchuud do to seal a... a friendship. We pledge our mutual support for one another. It's the greatest honor I can bestow on another man... it's a sign that you are my best friend, one who would take an arrow for you, take your place in pain... the Anda signifies a friendship like that of one's own blood..."

He smiled a wry smile.

"Would you be interested in being my greatest friend? I've waited seventy years to find a man to proclaim Anda, and I feel that God has shown me you are the one."

Last edited:
{{ I wanted to do a "blood oath" scene with Bubba, but I was too late. If @Enlil isn't asleep and gets here before 10:00 PM, Dooley will oblige. Wasn't it a Capponi that was so nice to Bubba last time? }}

{{ Also, when does the recess end? I really want thise scene to go through. I am at Church and asleep, respectively, all Sunday long, so a continuation of this scene could either occur around 6:00 AM Eastern Standard Time or 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. }}

Last edited:
{{Best. Session. EVAR. <3}}

Reactions:
{{ It's time for me to log off the Forum (because curfew). I'll be up early tomorrow and see if @Enlil has responded. If not, I'll try again after 6:00 PM the same day. }}

{{ -but don't worry, I have some blood oath music for you to ponder tonight... sweet dreams... }}

Senator Zeno Urbicus Mojmirid
*Again, Zeno speaks in a hushed tone to Senator Este-Ravenna*
Speaker Ravenna, I do believe we have more allies in this senate session than enemies. I would wager that nearly all, if not all, the men here have grown tired of the Dynatoi's decadent behavior and demeaning attitude to the Senators which has grown into a seed of discontent, which if I am guessing correctly, is ready to bloom.

*Again, Zeno speaks in a hushed tone to Senator Este-Ravenna*
Speaker Ravenna, I do believe we have more allies in this senate session than enemies. I would wager that nearly all, if not all, the men here have grown tired of the Dynatoi's decadent behavior and demeaning attitude to the Senators which has grown into a seed of discontent, which if I am guessing correctly, is ready to bloom.

Senator Alexius Este-Ravenna (Red Demes):

"Indeed, Senator Mojmirid, indeed. Shall we then suggest that the Imperium seek to end the privileges of the great Dynatoi, by opening their lands to the use of the Imperium? A general land reform, by ending the bondage of serfs and distributing lands to freehold farmers, in exchange for their miltiary service, to land we can increase their productivity and produce greater yields for the army.

{{Something like:
+10% trade efficiency
-10% land maintenance
}}

{{@CzokletMuss, as the "confiscate Dynatoi Lands" is off the tables for now, I'm going to go through the policy}}

Senator Alexios von Hohenzollern (unaffiliated):

During the recess, Alexios felt like talking to the one German senator.

"Hello, Senator von Habsburg. I hope you are well. You mentioned that you have served as the Chief Scribe for the German tagmatas, no? Tell me, what is Germany like? My family has not been there for generations."

Senator Markus von Habsburg (unaffiliated):

*Markus was a little bit surprised by actual conversation attempts, given that his financial diatribes during the debate failed to have any impact. On the other hand, this seemed like a good distraction from the gruesome scenes that happened earlier. He was used to discipline, but he and the other officers always were the ones giving it. Now that his fellow Senators were on the receiving end, and him lacking uniform and spatha, he felt somewhat uneasy. Maybe coming here was not such a good idea after all.*

The mountain home, ja? Well... I don't know where exactly your family comes from, but I assume it is not much different from Helvetia, ja. Thankfully, the plague has not been as severe to my family as it could have been. *He casts a quick glance upwards* Die Angeloi beschützen! I have lost two of my uncles and one nephew. Other than that... the mountains are still beautiful but treacherous, the peasants are still filthy and breed like rabbits, even though some villages have been completely wiped out. Some of them have taken to wandering around flagellating themselves, in the hope that this penance for their sins will spare them. In one of the valleys, only one woman and one man lived through it. The dead lie around, unburied. No one can give them the last rites, since the priests have long since died too - or fled, ja.

Still, Herr Jesus Christus will know his own. I am sorry if this is not what you expected to hear, but my decades of service have told me that hearing the truth is always more useful than hearing a pleasant lie, even if it makes you feel better. *He seems somewhat sad and forlorn*

{{The depiction of the plague is based on an actual Tyrolean church chronicle, which I have read in my youth - it seems to have been a really horrible time all around.}}

Senator Alexius Este-Ravenna (Red Demes):

"Indeed, Senator Mojmirid, indeed. Shall we then suggest that the Imperium seek to end the privileges of the great Dynatoi, by opening their lands to the use of the Imperium? A general land reform, by ending the bondage of serfs and distributing lands to freehold farmers, in exchange for their miltiary service, to land we can increase their productivity and produce greater yields for the army.

{{Something like:
+10% trade efficiency
-10% land maintenance
}}

{{@CzokletMuss, as the "confiscate Dynatoi Lands" is off the tables for now, I'm going to go through the policy}}
*Zeno nods slowly upon hearing Senator Alexius' plan.*
I find that plan sound, for the time. In the future we will need to fully end the power of the Dynatoi but for now, curtailing their ambitions will suffice. A general land reform will improve upon the disaster that our nation is currently facing. However I feel that might not be enough, what if we also enlisted the freehold farmers as part of the deal. Rather than just exchanging it for military service?

{{+10% trade efficiency
-10% land maintenance
+ 5% manpower recovery speed
Assuming that is even possible, I haven't done nation builder in a while and don't know if that would exceed the 30 point limit cost.}}

Senator Nikephoros II Salamis (Blue Demes):

*After Colombo goes to speak with the Reds*
*Nikephoros gulps. It seems like he made an enemy to himself from the leader of his faction... Doesn't matter. Colombo wants a joint policy with the Reds anyway, just like in Nikephoros' plan, if the Blues will be the ones proposing it the plan will not be harmed. The Whites will not be necessary to have a majority of course, but... What if the Reds decide to go with them?*
To Senators Raoul, Hvide, Arrius and Azizid assembled there:
I urge you all, friends- if Colombo can get the Reds to agree to a policy which we will propose, vote for it. But it may be needed to appease the Whites in order for this to go though... I'm sure you've all seen the speakers of the Reds and Whites speaking for a long time. It is also important for the Senate to be united in these dire times. Will you support the administrative reform and oppose taking church lands if that'll be the cost for a policy which we will propose?
*After Colombo returns*
Senator Colombo, I would suggest a policy which will increase the revenue of our trade, and decrease the expenses of the army, thus increasing the biggest income and decreasing the biggest expense. What do you say?
+15% trade efficiency (15 points)
-10% army maintenance (5 points)

{{There's no 10 point policies}}
It will also be of utmost importance that you, the Blue Speaker, propose whichever policy we will choose to the Senate... I'm sure you understand why, yes?

Senator Duilius Arrius (Blue Demes):
"Senator Salamis, though I am loathed to admit it, you are right. The Speakers of the Red and White Demes have been rather close this Session. I am willing to concede and support the administrative reform, as it was originally the Augustus' plan, but I strongly advise we Blue Demes stay firm on taking the Church's land and wealth. Put simply, the Imperium needs the resources more than the Church."

Senator Leon Cortez (Blue Demes):

Leon did not flinch watching the flogging or the execution, having himself withstood such pain from the athanatoi, fever dreams, and a raving mob that set his boat on fire as it left port for the blue demes meeting. The display of brutality did however, did much to to tether his thoughts down to earth.

To Salamis:
"I did not make it to the meeting of our demes, the... waters were too treacherous for such a journey, so I do not know what our general attitude is, but if the whites have not wronged us majorly, we could also make a deal with them using the meat of your original policy, but instead of the part about the merchants supporting armorers for the imperial army, to instead help finance the restoration of imperial order to the provinces wrought by chaos that no longer send regular tribute."

{{+15% trade efficiency (15 pts), -.05% monthly autonomy (5 pts)}}

{{Anyone read the dev diary about revanchism and think it would be just what the imperium needs right now?}}

Last edited:
Reactions:
Senator Marius Serapis of the White Demes

Marius looks thoughtfully over to where Pylaeus and Melissenos disappeared then he gestures for his servant to join him. He takes a couple of scrolls from the servants hands, unwraps the seal of House Serapis and the Monastery of Divine Light, then marks the scrolls with both seals and his signature, transfering the Monastery's lands back to House Serapis. Hopefully the scrolls would never be of use, but if the Senate chose wrongly at least House Serapis would be unharmed. He places the scrolls back in the servants case and takes out another, blank scroll and starts writing:

----
To His Holyness the Ecumenical Patriarch of the True Christian Faith.

Your Grace, as you may already be aware, the Senatorial President Nikephoros Dalassenos has presented the Senate with a resolution to seize some of the lands of the Holy Church. It is unclear at this time wether this destructive measure will pass trough the Senate or be rightfully rejected. As you may also be aware the situation in the Senate has been chaotic and the venerable institution is still divided, at such a time any sign can shift the balance. Therefore I humbly request, for the sake of the future stability of the Imperium and out of concern for the lives and souls of her people, that your Grace interceeds to protect and uphold the House of God.

Forever your humble servant Senator Marius Serapis, of the Monastery of Divine Light
----

He closes the letter with his seal and hands it to another of his servants. "Have this letter delivered to the Ecumenical Partiarch with all haste." There, that should at the very least let the Patriarch take his own steps to protect his personal fortunes and grant House Serapis a powerful ally.

{{The Church should be rich enough to bribe a few senators to protect it, that would cost very little in comparison to what it stands to lose. It would be irrational if it did nothing to affect the Senate now.}}

Reactions:
Senator Lodovico di Capponi (White Demes):

*To the Azizid*

I would gladly pledge my support and brotherhood friend.It seems you are the only member of this Senate who has not succumbed to the madness of Alexandros and Pylaeus.

I stand by you, and all prerogatives you may seek.

Now, I need to find Pylaeus.

*Lodovico departs*

((Azizid send letters to the Emperor, Serapis to the Patriarch, di Caponni to who knows who...

It seems that the Senate won´t be in the Magnaura for too much time, it will be better placed:

Neither+rain+nor+snow.jpg
))

Reactions:
Eunuch of the Sacred Palace:

Senator Azizid is approached by the same young eunuch he gave letter to. The eunuch bows.
Reverend Senator Dooley Azizid, Bishop of the Roman Far East (Blue Demes):
"Please dispatch this letter to the Imperior immediately. Tell him it is sent on order of the Holy Church by the autocephalous shepherd of the region accountable to the man I have charged with Excommunication. No one will stop a missive in the authority of God's Bride."

He handed the letter off.

"Now go! Before it's too late!"
- Honorable senator Dooley of the House Azizid. The letter you wanted me to deliver...

The eunuch pauses and you can see fear in his wide-opened eyes.

- The dekarchos who guards the gate to the courtyard asked me to whom this letter is adressed and who wrote it. When I replied that it is you, Reverend, he took the letter from me and told me to assure you that the letter will be delivered to the proper authority.

The eunuch shifts from one foot to another.

- Forgive me, Reverend.

He bows deeply and walks away.

{{ Still, bold move @TurtleShroom
BTW I appreciate your creativity when it comes to your senator and his Mongolian ancestry but please limit yourself to your House and character. None of the senators have ever met the Emperor - you can't just claim you did. Likewise I can't allow you to continue elevate your position in the Church or among the Mongols by claiming to be the most important bishop in the "Roman Far East" etc. - all players' characters are required to be aristoi and thus at best moderately powerful and influential.

Please keep this in mind in the future.
}}

Last edited:
Reactions:
Senator Decius Pylaeus (Vice President of the Imperial Senate, Faction Speaker of the White Demes):

Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos (White Demes)

You might find out otherwise...

*Lazaros takes a long look around the room, in particular eying the door for a while if as making sure that no one else can take a look. Or maybe simply hesitating. Finally he turns towards Senator Pylaeus and raises his veil. The dim light of the room reveals sharp greek features, marked with light pox scars – a sign of a survivor of the illness that killed most of the Melissenos – topped by short curly black hair. Dark brown eyes are focusing the other Senators.
A single glance is enough to reveal that this men is, in fact, a women.
“Lazaros” is keeping the veil open for a few moments before putting it on again. For a while, silence is hanging in the room, before she starts whispering.*

Before you call the guards, know that I'm indeed a Melissenos. I'm Theodora, my brother Lazaros died in the plaque and his successor, my cousin Theodoros isn't old enough yet to join the Senate. And I will be damned if I let the Athens get their hands on the post.

*With more normal voice – probably for eavesdroppers – she's adding:*

Now you know, speaker Pylaeus. I hope that you act according to your word, I and possibly the future of my house are now in your hands.

{{Just was looking again over the materials we senators were given at the beginning and can't believe that no one has mentioned that yet... Ryukyu is colonizing / conquering Indonesia!? :eek:}}

Decius needs a moment to gather himself and to sourt out his thoughts - after all, this is one more item on a rapidly growing list of things he has to be aware of...

"This is indeed unexpected... unprecedented even. But here you are, trying your best to help the Imperium in its time of need. After all I've witnessed during the last twenty years - the eradication of the Roman branch of my family, the warring, the riots - I think that Rome needs every true citizen that wants to protect it, be it man or woman. What is more, you are one of my esteemed friends in the white demes, ousting you would be a huge blow to our political goals. You are another lamb for the slaughter, but you are a member of my herd, so to speak. As a faction speaker, I cannot allow harm to be done to any of my upstanding colleagues. So rest assured, for I will try everything I can to protect your secret within these halls."

*Decius starts to hear noise developing outside.*

"I hope your trust in me is not misplaced, but I still require your help in the senate. As you might be able to hear, my presence is apparently necessary outside. Godspeed to all of us."

*He smiles warmly to reassure that he means no harm to Theodora, and unlocks the door. Light floods into the dark room, Decius sends the two guards back to their previous posts and walks back to where senators Ouranos and Serapis are.*

"Senator Serapis, how did your little chat with the unaffiliated and Salamis go? I am sure that Iskander told you about our planned compromise with the other demes. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter as well."

*Just as Decius finishes this sentence, he can see di Capponi closing in on the whites' meeting place.*

Oh great, apparently some people cannot even be kept down by some rightful punishment - this will probably be annoying. Decius musters up an indifferent expression as he awaits the arrival of the convicted traitor whose punishment was not nearly hard enough considering his misdeeds.

Kentarchos Nokas:

Suddenly commander of the Imperial Senate Guard enters the peristyle accompanied by two guardsmen, all of them armed. As always, he wears a long white cape and his armor, not so long ago stained with blood, has been cleaned and now once again shines in the sun, decorated with silver and gold. He looks around and then approaches the nearest senator from the White Demes - as it happens, it's senator Marius Serapis.

- Senator Serapis. Tell me, where I can find His Excellency Vice President?

{{ @Serpent }}

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Vice President of the Imperial Senate, Faction Speaker of the White Demes):

While Decius is eyeing di Capponi as he approaches the whites, the Kentarchos Nokas appears and inquires Serapis about Decius' whereabouts. Visibly disturbed, as Decius stands right next to Serapis, he answers the dekarchos instead.

"I am right here, Kentarchos Nokas. Are you feeling all right? What brings you to me during this time of recess?"

{{ @CzokletMuss :) }}

Kentarchos Nokas:

Nokas turns toward the White Speaker and slightly bows his head.

- Your Excellency Vice President. May we speak in private.

Kentarchos glances at senators Ouranos and Serapis. Judging by his tone you realize that this was not a question. He nods toward the room which senator Pylaeus just a while ago.

- Would you mind, Your Excellency?

Senator "Lazaros II." Melissenos (White Demes)

*“Lazaros“ follows Speaker Pylaeus outside, feeling somewhat saver, at least for the moment. What would happen after the session of the senate would be a problem for later. Now there were more urgent matters at hand, the future of the Empire itself. Still, as the Kentarchos appears, Lazaros, becomes weary for a moment... would Pylaeus? No that must surly be some other matter, but “he” is still staying somewhat more in the background.*