• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My Liege,

I wish to continue with the current plan I had envisaged for Naples.

I also wish to give my condolences for the death of Alfons, the only reward for traitors and heretics is retribution and I advise that we visit that upon any enemy of Aragon.

Your loyal servant,
Renato Limmona, Viceroy of Naples

((@ML8991 Sure. Though don't count on a lot from my side, considering Luigi's nature :D))

Some years earlier...

Castelozzi, now standing in Palermo's most magnificient church, thought back of the letter that his son had sent him. His son, who was readying himself to wed Jasminia de Soneta. What did Vincenzo think that he wanted? The matter of this marriage had quickly been signed off by the Count, and the preparations were made with due haste. War with England, Savoy and Hungary was on the horizon, and his services would be needed. Even if he was rather on the battlefield, his presence was important for the soon-to-be-wed, and so he complied. He had other things to do. But they all seemed happy. Good for them. He hoped reality wouldn't be too much of a shock. As his thoughts crossed that idea, he stood there with a slight grin, as the priest ended the ceremony - husband and wife. 'My ship awaits.' And he was gone to Greece, where his Terç was stationed. Leave the romantics behind for his true vocation.

Vincenzo was glad that his father assisted to the wedding. He knew his father would have gladly missed it, but he did him the pleasure to attend. As he left, he didn't try to stop him, instead looking first at his smiling father-in-law, then at his new wife. 'Life isn't as dark as father always paints it,' he thought. What a wonderful day, with so many more to come.

((OOC vote: I think you should be able to change the focus at the king's death. Perhaps only at the king's death, save for exceptional circumstances.

By the way, I am going on vacation the next weeks, so I might be less/not active depending on the situation.))

5wxzSfe.jpg

Your Majesty,

my condolences for the brutal death of your brother. May Your rule be prosperous, for his death will not be for nought. Such a vicious regicide will surely not happen again. The Guardia Real should take extra measures for Your safety.
As the Marshal will be indisposed for some time and has proposed a plan that exceeds our financial abilities, as general I would propose to include some artillery regiments into the army, as their effects may prove devastating, especially in sieges. The shorter they are, the less casualties we take. Artillery is but one part of the future of warfare, and we should not lack behind. I propose to include at least four such regiments into our armies for now, as they are expensive and their use on the battlefield is limited. I am sure that with the years, we will have to augment that number, but it should be enough for our actual needs.

Your loyal subject,
General Luigi Castelozzi, Count of Palermo

Xs93UHA.png

I appreciate your suggestions, for surely who would know what is better for the army than a general? I personally believe it wise to have at least one regiment of artillery in all four of our current armies, which of course equals the number you have suggested. If the Marshal is indisposed, I will make the necessary changes.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((A letter to King Ferran II. de Trastámara))

My King

I can't express my wrath at the assassin. Not only has he killed your brother King Alfons VI., no, he has also killed my father Joseph von Thun who you have surely met in the past. It's a shame that he was killed just as he was about to offer his services again. I hope the bastard's son suffered heavily, he truly deserves to burn in hell...

Since one of our generals fell in the battles, I would like to claim said position. Since I was able to study in one of the universities of Aragon, I'm fairly used to the new technology called "artillery" and would like to command those ((Fire focus, to make it clear)). Regarding the Marshal's plans about regiment size, may I state that it would be the wisest to have as much artillery as infantry and cavallery combined, at least to the point where our treasury can still afford it? That way, our artillery can do great damage without being attackable itself, since the front line would hold attacks on the back line, erm, back.

By the way, my wife has recently given birth to my first child and son, Càrlo von Thun.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza

PS: If you have any clues on the bastard's family, I would truly like to lead our troops against him. His family killed my father, and I wish to repay this with their blood.

((OOC vote: Keep national focus if it is still locked))

((Private Letter to Stefano von Thun))

Xs93UHA.png

I was not even aware that your father was attacked during that tragic night. I can only say that the man responsible has paid dearly with his life, so hopefully that offers some comfort. He was a great man that did much for our country, as can be seen by the fact that you hold a title.

I'm afraid that de Agramunt's position has already been filled and we don't need another general at the moment. However, if one of our three generals happens to meet a tragic fate, and I can only hope they won't, or if they choose to retire, you shall be the first one I will consider as the next general. ((It appears we have an extra general slot, so I guess I can have another general, so ignore that. I rolled a 6 for you, so that is how many pips you'll get.))

As for artillery, I do not believe our treasury could ever support having half the army consisting of it. They are expensive creations, ones that we must add to the army in moderation to avoid bankruptcy.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((letter to the new King of Aragon))

Your Majesty,

As a furnisher of the Royal House I want to congratulate yourself for your ascension to the throne, albeit in so saddening circumstances due to the abrupt death of your predecessor.

As Lucca recently acquired Western Emilia, me along with the Lucchese merchants will have better access to the goods of North Italy and as consequence to enlarge our volume of trade across the Aragonese crown lands... Still, I fear for my country surrounded by various enemies. I made years ago a suggestion to the previous ruler to slowly increase the Aragonese influence across Italy, befriending the Lucchese Republic. I hope you will be more willing to accept the potential benefit we could both take from an enduring friendship. A proclaim of guarantee of Aragon to Lucca would be the ideal in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I and soon my son would continue to offer our array of services to the Aragonese Crown, if you are willing to concede us any type of role which could be fitting for my capacities.

Respectfully,

Francesco Guinigi, merchant of the Repubblica di Lucca.

((Private letter to Francesco Guinigi))

Xs93UHA.png

My opinion on northern Italy is the same as my brother's: it is not the time nor place to get involved there. The Emperor still watches over the region and any interference their will draw their ire. Maintaining relations in the region will also place unnecessary strain on our diplomat relations ((aka we don't have a free diplomatic relations slot)).

hjcEWcy.png

At court

Your Majesty,
I am deeply saddened by the death of your esteemed brother. I pray your reign may be long and prosperous.

To those who are speaking of an army of artillery, as treasurer I would like to make absolutely clear - this is fantasy. We have at most the funds to support three or four of these guns. Nothing associated with them is cheap; the vast quantities of metal needed, the expertise of the gunsmith, the remuneration of those testing the weapons (the guns frequently inexplicably rip themselves apart upon first testing them).

((I agree with those who have already posted: don't change the focus if the timer hasn't worn off.))

Xs93UHA.png

My opinion is in sync with that of the Treasurer's. We cannot afford too many regiments of artillery.

((It appears as though I'm going to have to drop this; I seem to have fallen completely behind during these last few turns. I appreciate you letting me join, and apologize for my lack of involvement. With luck I'll be able to give IAARs another a shot in the future.))

((Too bad that you don't have the time, but I understand. :)

Well this means we now have a free merchant slot, so if someone wants to be an official merchant of Aragon, put your name forward.))

((Okay, I'll add you in. This is a bit embarrassing, but the RNG gave you only one pip. Guess it was bound to happen after getting all those high rolls. :oops:))

((OOC vote: I think you should be able to change the focus at the king's death. Perhaps only at the king's death, save for exceptional circumstances.

By the way, I am going on vacation the next weeks, so I might be less/not active depending on the situation.))

((Good to know. If the game decides to kill off your general, but he still lives in this iAAR, I might just retire him. He's probably getting old anyway.

Speaking of retirement, people should start keeping in mind the age of their characters. As we near the 16th Century, some characters will reach 100. If I'm forced to kill off any characters, I will assume they died without heirs and their titles are up for grabs, although a player may reclaim them if they create a new character of the same dynasty. That won't stop someone else from swooping in and taking the title before they can do that though, so I recommend killing off your characters before they reach 100.))

Last edited:
- His Majesty, Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((Huh, I never knew a dead king could still be alive. Could the holy Lucrezia be behind this? Coincidence?! I think not. :D))

((Huh, I never knew a dead king could still be alive. Could the holy Lucrezia be behind this? Coincidence?! I think not. :D))

((Oops, my bad. I copied and pasted from the wrong spot. :p))

((6 fire pips? Holy mother of... Lucrezia... guess you know who to use with the biggest artillery stack now o_O))

((I didn't give you six fire pips. That's how many you have in total. :p I distributed it so you have 3/1/2/0.))

Treasurers Plan

After taking on board General Castelozzi's opinions on morale and the well being of soldiers I shall limit the peace-time cut in military spending to 30%. Of course, should rumours of rebellion abound, our military must be prepared.
((Peace-time land slider to be set to 20%. Should any rebellion reach 50%, raise funding.))

The treasury should provide some support for the inquisition, however with new financial burdens this must be severely limited.
((Should our inquisitor die, and there is no lvl 1 inquisitor OR theologian AND there are at least 2 lvl 1 advisers, one of those advisers should be retired until a theologian/inquisitor appearers, to a max of 5 times, and only for as long as they turn up new lvl 1s.))

Xs93UHA.png

I wish to express my intentions for the plans for both the Chancellor and Grand Admiral to remain the same. We still need a period of peace, especially now that the French have dragged us into war. Our navy is also a decent size and does not need to be changed. If the Marshal does not change his plan, I will be forced to intercede and add artillery to our army in small amounts.

Xs93UHA.png

I have the pleasure of announcing two royal marriages. The first is between my younger brother Prince Joan de Trastámara and Eleanor de Avis of Portugal, and the second between my sister Princess Caterina and Francis de Valois of France. May they spend a long and happy life together.

My liege,

Congratulations on the royal marriages. May they bring further prosperity to your family. Long Live the King!

-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

Cardinal de Vascona, in a rare visit to Valencia, addresses the court

Your majesty, is there any possibility that we may secure concessions from either England or Hungary in a peace treaty? It would be ideal and appropriate to honor the sacrifices thousands of soldiers and the great General de Agramunt have made for God's cause by strengthening our kingdom's position. However, I concede that such a treaty may not be plausible or in the Lord's plans.

I heartily agree with your chancellorship plan, your majesty. The kingdom desperately needs to recover from the nonstop warfare that has embroiled us so that we may focus on the holy Inquisition and spreading the light of the Catholic faith.

-Cardinal de Vascona

(( I will reintroduce my character. Still can't figure out how to post Coats of Arms))
Name: Alfonso Gonzaga D'Este
Date of Birth: September 1465
Traits: Diligent, humble, ambitious, honest, envious.
Bio: Alfonso Gonzaga D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio, rightful Duke of Modena, etc. was born in exile to Isabella Gonzaga, daughter of Manfredo Duke of Mantua, and Giuliano Marco D'Este. Given the Barony at birth, Alfonso has never actually set foot in the Mantuan stronghold but receives the revenue. When his father joined the Dominicans, Alfonso was sent with his mother to Tarragona where they bought a small palazzo. Upon age 13 Alfonso enrolled at a military academy in Tarragona with a focus on Infantry. His father unsuccessful petitioned for him to be invested in Almeria. At 16 he accompanied his father to Tuscany during the war and served as a condotierri under the famous Scippione " Il Gonfoloniere". Upon the death of his father he returned to Aragon where he serves as a squire in Ferran's Court.

Reactions:
Cardinal de Vascona, in a rare visit to Valencia, addresses the court

Your majesty, is there any possibility that we may secure concessions from either England or Hungary in a peace treaty? It would be ideal and appropriate to honor the sacrifices thousands of soldiers and the great General de Agramunt have made for God's cause by strengthening our kingdom's position. However, I concede that such a treaty may not be plausible or in the Lord's plans.

I heartily agree with your chancellorship plan, your majesty. The kingdom desperately needs to recover from the nonstop warfare that has embroiled us so that we may focus on the holy Inquisition and spreading the light of the Catholic faith.

-Cardinal de Vascona

Xs93UHA.png

I do not believe that England would accept anything less than a white peace with us, since we do not control any of their provinces and we only engaged in one naval battle, despite that one battle sinking their entire navy. As for the Hungarians, they refuse to negotiate with anyone other than the French in our alliance. Seeing as we are unlikely to get anything worthwhile out of the English, I believe it best to sit back and let the French finish the war on their own. It is not worth possibly antagonizing the French over a separate peace with the English for some minor concessions.

Reactions:
My liege,

Congratulations on the royal marriages. May they bring further prosperity to your family. Long Live the King!

-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

Dear lord Iglesia,

May I humbly request the hand of your eldest sister. I am a honest man and will be a asset to your family in the future.

-Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio.

Your Grace,

May I put forward my name as general of Aragon? I would most dearly like to be on the battlefield again. The slowness of court interests me not. Enclosed in the letter are my credentials (( See bio)) and letters of recommendation from the Tarragona Academy and Il Gonfoloniere. If not, at least join me for hunting at my small palazzo/estate in Tarragona.
-Lord Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio.
(Specialty: Shock)

Your Grace,

May I put forward my name as general of Aragon? I would most dearly like to be on the battlefield again. The slowness of court interests me not. Enclosed in the letter are my credentials (( See bio)) and letters of recommendation from the Tarragona Academy and Il Gonfoloniere. If not, at least join me for hunting at my small palazzo/estate in Tarragona.
-Lord Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio.
(Specialty: Shock)

Xs93UHA.png

We already have four generals, which is more than we've ever had and will most likely ever need. I'm afraid there will be no new generals for quite some time, unless someone retires soon.