• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone, and welcome to this weeks development diary for EU4.

This week I want to talk about the loadingscreens of EU4. Our goal is to add to the pool of loadingscreens every time we do a major update, so that you have a large variety of cool pictures to view while the harddrive is booting up the game.

Each picture represents one country in the game, and we do not plan to have more than 1 loading screen for each nation. There is also one of the most iconic leaders of that nation on the picture, as well as a location which represents that nation.

And when making expansions, it is very much important that the country picked fits the theme for it.

Original Game
We shipped with 5 different loading screens, representing about half of the major powers of the era.
Sweden - Gustavus II Adolphus & Stockholm Archipelago
Spain - Isabella & Carribean Islands
England - Elizabeth I & Cliffs of Dover
France - Louis XIV France & French Farmlands
Ottomans - Suleiman the Magnificent & Haga Sophia

Conquest of Paradise
Iroqouis - Hiawatha & Niagara Falls

Wealth of Nations
Venice - Andrea Gritti & City of Venice

Res Publica
Netherlands - Maurice of Nassau & Windmills at Canals

Art of War
Russia - Catherine the Great & Siberia

El Dorado
Aztecs - Montezuma & Tenochtitlan

Common Sense
Austrai - Charles V & The Alps

And for our new 1.13 patch, we are adding a loading screen for Poland, with Jan Sobieski and the Jasna Gora Monastery!

pxj89DE.jpg

We still aim to have pictures for Portugal, Denmark & Prussia of the europeans majors, but it needs to fit thematically for the expansions. Not that I can think of any important Danish ruler through history.. pokes @Groogy :)

Counter-proposal: Give out free hyper SSDs to everyone and we don't need loading screens no more.

But seriously, fabulous guy looks fabulous ;)

Reactions:
Counter-proposal: Give out free hyper SSDs to everyone and we don't need loading screens no more.

blasphemy!

loadinscreens are cool!

Reactions:
Damn that guy is classy.
Can't wait to see what you'll do for Prussia. Very likely it will be Frederick II, but I wonder what landscape you'll use.

Reactions:
Maybe change loading screens to elevators?

Reactions:
Jan (Johann haha) sobieski is awesome! In addition, can we expect a major patch with more features and depth (except the random map)?

1.13 is kinda done iirc, just need some issues finalised.

Reactions:
More loading screens the better. Any new 'tips' or whatever text running on the bottom of the loading screen?

we should add more...

Reactions:
Damn that guy is classy.
Can't wait to see what you'll do for Prussia. Very likely it will be Frederick II, but I wonder what landscape you'll use.
Maybe Battle of Kunersdorf? :p

Reactions:
Maurice of Nassau originally was only cover art, but we turned him into a full loading screen for 1.13.

ISlDCqJ.png

Reactions:
Nice though I'd rather see Stefan Batory or Zygmunt Stary instead of Sobieski since he's only known for a Vienna thing, nothing else. Or even better one of the most famous leaders like Stefan Czarniecki with Deluge theme or Jeremi Wiśniowiecki and Chmielnicki's Uprising and especially Jan Karol Chodkiewicz with battle of Kircholm theme but it's just mine opinion.

Reactions:
Nice though I'd rather see Stefan Batory or Zygmunt Stary instead of Sobieski since he's only known for a Vienna thing, nothing else. Or even better one of the most famous leaders like Stefan Czarniecki with Deluge theme or Jeremi Wiśniowiecki and Chmielnicki's Uprising and especially Jan Karol Chodkiewicz with battle of Kircholm theme but it's just mine opinion.

But Jan Sobieski is kind of a legend with his Vienna victory. There were more important victories for Poland, but Vienna victory is most prestigous, known and romanticized victory of Poland.

Reactions:
Rush for Vienna was one the most stupid mistake that ever our rulers ever did and through whole my life never heard anything good bout it, maybe in West is viewed like this but not amongst people who know a little bit more history than bs that is taught in schools.

Reactions: