Hearts of Iron IV - 20th Development Diary - 14th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Comrade Stalin approves. He also says to the dev team:
Stalin.jpg

Reactions:
yeah, allies can't puppet.
- and what allies do instead of puppeting? And what about existing allies puppets?

Why is "Reconcile with Japan" required for "Claim Sinkiang"?
- because you are basically partition China on pair with Japan, ala "fourth partition of Poland".

Reactions:
because you are basically partition China on pair with Japan, ala "fourth partition of Poland".
Soviet interest of Xinjiang preceded any reconciliation with Japan (I assume Reconciliation hints at the non-aggression pact with Japan 1941) as Soviet Union invaded 1934 and fought once again in the area 1937.

edit: wrote the wrong date for the pact.

Last edited:
Reactions:
So you still don't think an off map OOB would be nice to sort all of these divisions ? :p

Screw the oob, just any kind of hierarchy as a means to not having to handle 138 individual divisions when battleplanning. Selectionboxing would give no sufficient control, and sorting individual units would be a chore.

I recently played a long game of hoi3, and i realized that the hoi4 unit system as shown would be completely superior to the hoi3 type direct control system in hoi3, at least for my type of play. But for hoi4 in battleplanning, And planning with many different units in many different places where live control isnt Essential a hierarchy would surely be immensely helpful. Both for preplanning and followup planning, and deviating from plans without having to probe each stack each time.

Id see it as a way of steamlining, in being able to make larger chunks of divisions within an army and only having to care about those larger chunks when planning.

Last edited:
Reactions:
As you can see on the screenshot below, we have truly dumbed down the game, and made all those hidden values we have in the game visible, with tooltips explaining them in details.

You, i like you! :D

Reactions:
I have a request - please post screenshots of research/focus trees at sufficient resolution, to capture the whole tree.

thx

btw.: if you dont have a 4K monitor, I would be willing to make those screenshots for you - just send me beta key ;)

Reactions:
Is there a tab in the unit view where you can see what kind of regiments/batallions it consists of? Also, if there is (I hope it is) will there be more meaningful (nation specific) names for them than in HOI3? And can each regiment have different values? Like one regiment took harder hits than a nother in a battle, one regiment is better equipped, one is better trained and so on.

- If not, it should be there where you see "Stats, Template" lik a "Composition" so you could see what it consists of and more.

I am also a bit confused about the national focus or what it is. If you wan't to claim Berrabia, you first have to claim Poland? Will the computer always (again, I hope so) do the historical path?

I like the "stats" overview of the unit, the look of it. And that the number of equipment, trucks and stuff is displayed.

They symbol of "Military Staff" is a helmet, should be change to for instance a rifle (perhaps two crossing eachother or something) in my opinion. It is not clearly a military helmet, plus nations had very different helmets.

The "adjusters" that one division have and the other have none of. I don't understand what they are at all. Perhaps one is river crossing? What do they do? Or has that been addressed in another DD?

Ah, could be so.

Although, there were really no overlapping claims between Japan and Soviet on the area as far as I know.
Yeah. Although, if Japan establishes a puppet regime in China then that regime might have claims on all of Greater China (except Manchuria of course), including Soviet territory. I haven't looked it up, but I assume that the Reorganized National Government viewed Tibet, Sinkiang, some bits of Mongolia ect ect as it's rightful territory, just like the real Republic of China.

Reactions:
Screw the oob, just any kind of hierarchy as a means to not having to handle 138 individual divisions when battleplanning. Selectionboxing would give no sufficient control, and sorting individual units would be a chore.

I recently played a long game of hoi3, and i realized that the hoi4 unit system as shown would be completely superior to the hoi3 type direct control system in hoi3, at least for my type of play. But for hoi4 in battleplanning, And planning with many different units in many different places where live control isnt Essential a hierarchy would surely be immensely helpful. Both for preplanning and followup planning, and deviating from plans without having to probe each stack each time.

Id see it as a way of steamlining, in being able to make larger chunks of divisions within an army and only having to care about those larger chunks when planning.

Maybe some sort of filter search would be sufficient. I for one would like to search for my most experienced Infantry division or tank division and then assign it to a theatre/General.

Yeah. Although, if Japan establishes a puppet regime in China then that regime might have claims on all of Greater China (except Manchuria of course), including Soviet territory. I haven't looked it up, but I assume that the Reorganized National Government viewed Tibet, Sinkiang, some bits of Mongolia ect ect as it's rightful territory, just like the real Republic of China.
yea, that is correct. If the focus is a way to a peaceful division I guess it function quite OK. However its placement in the anti-capitalist column is somewhat strange, although I guess there is no better place for it.

yea, that is correct. If the focus is a way to a peaceful division I guess it function quite OK. However its placement in the anti-capitalist column is somewhat strange, although I guess there is no better place for it.
I guess the idea is that helping Japan will hurt Britain and America?

Reactions: