• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rogerfenwickxii

Sergeant
49 Badges
Nov 12, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
I know that there will be a 1936 and '39 start date, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not there would be any other scenario start dates, like say D-day in 1944 or just before the battle of Kursk in 1943 or something. I just think multiple start dates can be a lot of fun, CKII and EUIV certainly had plenty, HOI III had a couple, and I think most people would like to try out these different points in the war.

For me, I would want to see how long (if at all) I could prolong the end for Germany after Normandy, I wouldn't even care to win, but simply to experience the pressure and desperation of the German High command as the circle closed in and resources dried up at the end of the war. Of course, something like that would probably still happen [to me] from the '36 or '39 start date, at least on the first play-through as Germany.

Maybe more start dates will come with future dlcs.

Thoughts?

Reactions:
Actually, from what I have read 1936 is in, 1939 is likely, all others are doubtful, at least for the initial release.

Reactions:
I would somewhat think so. HoI III had 1936, 1939, 1941 and 1944 as start dates so i dont see an reason why they shouldnt be in HoI IV. Sometimes i really enjoyed simply starting in 1941, playing D-day or the Battle of the Bulge etc instead of building up and preparing for the world war. Its soimewhat likely that we will see such things in expansions tho, rather than in the vanilla game.

Reactions:
I think paradox is trying to move away from multiple start dates in their games. sucks up too much energy and resources to get details right. For example Johan said that EU5 would probs only have the one start date.

Reactions:
I think paradox is trying to move away from multiple start dates in their games. sucks up too much energy and resources to get details right. For example Johan said that EU5 would probs only have the one start date.

I really hope they reconsider, if this is true because I love having variety in my start dates, it increases replay-ability exponentially, in my opinion. Each one creates a new set of situations that each faction has to deal with, so its like you multiply your options by the number of good start dates.

Also, in games like HOI I think having a good number of start dates is very important because you may want to relieve certain specific points in history, and because of the great amount of possibility that Paradox games provide, it is very difficult to find yourself in similar situations to real history mid and later game, which is usually a very good thing, but not always.

Reactions:
I think HoI4 will end up with fewer startdates (only 2) considering what Johan and Wiz has been talking about for EU4.

Reactions:
I'd ask for these:-

9th Dec 1941 could be an interesting start date (possibly the only one) for those who want to play the USA.

1st July 1940 for Brit's.

Maybe 1st August 1939 ('cause everyone knew what was coming next month) for France & other European powers and you've got limited time to prepare according to you own ideas.

Then 1st June 1941 and 1st June 1944.

Personally, I've never played anything other than a 1st Jan 1936 (and probably never will) but I do accept that this long run-in allows a lot of scope for change and manipulations that probably couldn't have been done IRL.

Reactions:

yeah, start dates take a lot of effort (we never managed to balance all the startdates of hoi3 for example) and very very few players ever play anything but the earliest.

HOI4 will have '36 and '39 starts

Reactions:
yeah, start dates take a lot of effort (we never managed to balance all the startdates of hoi3 for example) and very very few players ever play anything but the earliest.

But we'll be able to add new start dates through mods, right?

I love playing later start dates in every Paradox game (to play historical factions)...being a minority is sad. :(

Reactions:
Reactions:

This makes sense, although many players would probably go for a later start date in HoI IV considering the template division system, which seems to make it very easy to shape up a messed up OOB fairly quickly. The only reason I didn't play the 1944 start is that I couldn't put up with restructuring the German army. I guess I'm lazy...

I think you should work only on the 36´ start. And give the 39´ start later with a patch. I dont want to wait till June 2016! :(

Reactions:

I think that a game like Europa Universalis is only restricted by time when it comes to how much the player can expand and grow. It's the only reason Ryukyu world conquest is difficult at all. At the same time, unlike the Hearts of Iron series there are no "memorable" start dates because we cannot relate to the time period at all. Also the scale of wars was obviously not nearly as epic meaning there aren't many wars one would really like to change the course of.

On the other hand, if one gets the ball rolling you can conquer the world of 1936 in no time, and of course, once again, being within living memory there are many points at which one might want to take over. In my opinion the most obvious one in Hearts of Iron III being Fall Gelb. I mean how satisfying was it to push that Soviet/American swarm back, at that stage you weren't even thinking about world conquest you merely wanted to survive, and that is a very fun mindset, since it forces you to use everything at you disposal to maximum efficiency.

My point being that I disagree wholeheartedly that few knowledgeable players only started early, and I definitely feel it is worth the effort to include many more start dates, into the greatest strategy game encompassing the greatest conflict of all time.

At the very least make a DLC for it, I would pay for that.

Reactions:
I hope DLCs will add more start dates, as well as scenarios. Trying out War in the East, it was so much fun, and such a great way to learn the game, to start with tiny, short scenarios and then work your way up, progressively playing bigger and bigger battles until finally taking on one of the grand campaigns.

I understand the scope of HOI4 is far bigger than WitE, and I guess I understand that you want to get it right, and yes, I too play the 1936 start most of the time :eek: , but I would still really like to see some additional starts, and some combat scenarios. Especially one that starts as Hitler invades the Soviet Union.

Edit: Then again, maybe I contradict myself. I do want more accurate and stronger minors and whatnot, after all, so maybe I do want you to focus on one start, if it means there will be far better balance and attention to detail. Decisions, decisions -_- ...

Last edited:
Reactions:

Yes, I remember the strange D-Day startdate where USA have no troops in Normandy :D
I'm sad to know that we will only have pre-war start date, I like try to save Germany with latest start-date. However, if they are more balanced and historically accurate, I understand your choice.

Reactions: