• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Norh

Recruit
1 Badges
Jul 26, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hey guys, I have large problem with EU4. Everytime when after saving game, it crash. A savefile has 0kb size, so I can't play more than ~1hour. I try everything - reinstall game and verifing integrity. I have two DLC - with womens and El Dorado. I hope that you know some solution for my problem.
I asked about this in Steam, and I heard that a problem can be with that I have 32bit Windows. Is true?

Hey guys, I have large problem with EU4. Everytime when after saving game, it crash. A savefile has 0kb size, so I can't play more than ~1hour. I try everything - reinstall game and verifing integrity. I have two DLC - with womens and El Dorado. I hope that you know some solution for my problem.
I asked about this in Steam, and I heard that a problem can be with that I have 32bit Windows. Is true?
The game is running 32 bit on my computer (even though my processor and windows are both 64 bit) so i would say no. But then again I am not a computer expert so i will leave it to the moderators as they seem to know everything (or are better at using Google)

Yes, that is so. 32bit Windows restricts the game to 2gb of memory, no matter how much you have installed. And that's not enough any more, since 1.12

Until you can switch to 64bit Windows, use this workaround - IF AND ONLY IF you have 3gb or more of memory installed:

1: Open Command Prompt (it's in Accessories in Vista)
2: Set it to be in Admin mode http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx
3: Paste this in: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560
4: Restart
5: If you ever need to undo: BCDEdit /deletevalue increaseuserva

Because I can't switch to 64bit now, I try your method. I hope this could help me, so I thanks for this!

//Edit:
Do you can tell me what your method do? How it works?

Last edited:
Do you can tell me what your method do? How it works?
In brief, 32bit Windows restricts all apps to 2gb of memory, no matter how much you have installed. The rest is reserved for Windows itself.

We just moved that limit to 2.5gb. Note that means Windows itself has less memory, so please plan your move to 64bit Windows when you can, which does not have these limits.

In brief, 32bit Windows restricts all apps to 2gb of memory, no matter how much you have installed. The rest is reserved for Windows itself.

We just moved that limit to 2.5gb. Note that means Windows itself has less memory, so please plan your move to 64bit Windows when you can, which does not have these limits.
The game runs in 32 bit, so how would a 64bit system be beneficial?

The game runs in 32 bit, so how would a 64bit system be beneficial?
eu4.exe is LAA-enabled, so it can use up to 4gb of memory even though 32bit.

Reactions:
Yes, that is so. 32bit Windows restricts the game to 2gb of memory, no matter how much you have installed. And that's not enough any more, since 1.12

Until you can switch to 64bit Windows, use this workaround - IF AND ONLY IF you have 3gb or more of memory installed:

1: Open Command Prompt (it's in Accessories in Vista)
2: Set it to be in Admin mode http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx
3: Paste this in: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560
4: Restart
5: If you ever need to undo: BCDEdit /deletevalue increaseuserva

I also suffer the same problem with Norh, but i currently use 64bit window. I tried your solution, but im still unable to save the game. I have played EUIV for 800ish hours and never encountered this problem, until 2 days ago..

Last edited:
I also suffer the same problem with Norh, but i currently use 64bit window. I tried your solution, but im still unable to save the game. I have played EUIV for 800ish hours and never encountered this problem, until 2 days ago..
You should not use that command in 64-bit Windows. As suggested earlier, 64-bit Windows always allows the game to use up to 4GB as long as you have enough physical memory.
You should probably start your own thread and include the output of DXDIAG and the game's settings.txt and system.log files.