• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Name: Ramiro Vicario
Date of birth: 1400
Class: Clergy
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Ramiro was born at the turn of the century to Trinidad Vicario and his castilian wife Lucia Vicario. Trinidad Vicario was a well cleric in barcelona and Ramiro was his only son he died shortly after Ramiro's birth. Ramiro was a very pious man and was always willing to help others. once he was of age he decided to leave barcelona and spread the word of christianity across eastern europe and africa. he returned to barcelona in 1430 having seen the world and all it has stating that he could convince no one he decided to continue working in the church and was hopeful that someday he may become a bishop a dream his mother said his father always had.
((btw I was trying to request to be bishop of barcelona))

Last edited:
Reactions:
sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My grace,

Your predecessor was obviously thinking ahead of time. While allying the venetians might have seemed foolish at that time, I now see it was a wise choice.
In regards to Granada. While I express distaste for protecting a heathen nation, I must admit that it would serve our interests. It is only a matter of time before Granada falls to the true christian armies. But will it be Castile or Aragon who place their flag on heathen soil? As of now, it may very well be Castile, and that I cannot stand for. So I am for your propositions.

Your loyal servant,

General Felipé de Alvaro

((The treasury is literally empty. Not a single ducat. I just paid off one of the loans, so that's why. We still have one more loan left to pay off, which I believe is due sometime in 1452.))

((Haha! What a time to become treasurer!))

Reactions:
If the Castillians conquer Granada then so be it. A Mohammedan nation on Iberian soil is an affront to God and it matters not who smites the beast.

I believe we should destroy the Tunisian sultanate, if possible, and spread the light ofthe mother church to Africa. If so then it is prudent to maintain our alliance with Venice in the event that the Caliphate interferes.

It should go without saying that I support the improvement of relations with the Holy See. I would gladly welcome a court diplomat to aid me in this task.

-Cardinal de Vascona

Last edited:
My King

While it is to be foreseen that the Castillians will surely attack the Granadians in the near future, do not forget that - in the case of us guaranteeing them - we can't call in our allies to aid us. Well, we could if the Castillians would see us a co-belligerent, but I strongly doubt that. And while our recent war with the Castillians ended in a white peace, it was obvious that our archnemesis just has more men than us. Thus, I would recommend not to guarantee the Sultanate.

Your loyal subject
Joseph von Thun
Diplomat

Your majesty,

As we already have invested such effort towards the venetians it would be a great slight to them if we're we're to retract our advantageous aid, and likewise they could offer great support in order to maintain our foregin holdings of Sardinia and Sicily.

Furthermore, though me and the Cardinal de Vascona may not always see eye to eye, I will wholeheartedly support his belief to vanquish the opposing faith from our shores, and thus allowing us to focus our future efforts on other locations, such as the northern shores of Africa.

@Andre Massena

To Cardinal de vascona

I understand your grace, but our religion is diversifying as it progresses into this era. Even if the holy father sites on his throne of gold, sharing his love to all who follow the path of the lord, there are those who interprete the mouth of the prophet and his followers as different, and yet you believe to the same religion? Tis man doomed to insure religious strife, or should we not seek to offer a unity within our christian faith? As our most righteous book says "love thy neighbour "

(offers the amendment to accept orthodoxy as exempt from the sweep of the law, and thus is not subject to forceful conversion, as it is a true form of the true faith)

I would support the amendment proposed by Count de Soneta. This is a trying time for our Greek brothers in christ, suffering under the yolk of heathen mahommetans. We can surely offer them the gift of charity as a sign of solidarity? Not to mention if war with their oppressors is a possibility, acquiring and fostering contacts amongst them would be no bad thing...

Bishop Sastre

My King

While it is to be foreseen that the Castillians will surely attack the Granadians in the near future, do not forget that - in the case of us guaranteeing them - we can't call in our allies to aid us. Well, we could if the Castillians would see us a co-belligerent, but I strongly doubt that. And while our recent war with the Castillians ended in a white peace, it was obvious that our archnemesis just has more men than us. Thus, I would recommend not to guarantee the Sultanate.

Your loyal subject
Joseph von Thun
Diplomat

vvEKLhO.png

Your appointment as a diplomat by our brother was clearly not a mistake. We had been too concerned with attempting to curtail Castile's expansion that we did not consider the implications for our own kingdom. Even though France was not as much help as we would have liked, Aragon would have been in a much worse circumstances without them. We will reconsider this policy.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples, and Navarra

@Andre Massena

To Cardinal de vascona

I understand your grace, but our religion is diversifying as it progresses into this era. Even if the holy father sites on his throne of gold, sharing his love to all who follow the path of the lord, there are those who interprete the mouth of the prophet and his followers as different, and yet you believe to the same religion? Tis man doomed to insure religious strife, or should we not seek to offer a unity within our christian faith? As our most righteous book says "love thy neighbour "

(offers the amendment to accept orthodoxy as exempt from the sweep of the law, and thus is not subject to forceful conversion, as it is a true form of the true faith)

((Are you talking about the equal status petition? If you want to pass that, you have to pass the other four petitions that go before it.))

((I believe he is referring to

The Shield of Saint Peter Act

I. A registry of all non-Catholics in the Kingdom of Aragon shall be jointly maintained by the Catholic Church in Aragon and the crown.
II. All non-Catholics shall be subject to a five percent tax on either their rents or income whose proceeds shall be split between the Catholic Church and crown.
III. Individuals who turn away from their misguided religions and convert to the true faith shall be awarded a one time reward from the royal treasury.
IV. Any provinces that fall victim to the scourge of heresy shall be immediately returned to the bosom of the holy Church.
((convert any non-Catholic provinces to Catholic as soon as possible))
))

((I believe he is referring to

The Shield of Saint Peter Act

I. A registry of all non-Catholics in the Kingdom of Aragon shall be jointly maintained by the Catholic Church in Aragon and the crown.
II. All non-Catholics shall be subject to a five percent tax on either their rents or income whose proceeds shall be split between the Catholic Church and crown.
III. Individuals who turn away from their misguided religions and convert to the true faith shall be awarded a one time reward from the royal treasury.
IV. Any provinces that fall victim to the scourge of heresy shall be immediately returned to the bosom of the holy Church.
((convert any non-Catholic provinces to Catholic as soon as possible))

))

((Ah, I see. Well the amendment would have to be to make it so that Orthodox provinces aren't automatically converted, although the Court Chaplain could still order their conversion as part of their plan.))

@Andre Massena

To Cardinal de vascona

I would support the amendment proposed by Count de Soneta. This is a trying time for our Greek brothers in christ, suffering under the yolk of heathen mahommetans. We can surely offer them the gift of charity as a sign of solidarity? Not to mention if war with their oppressors is a possibility, acquiring and fostering contacts amongst them would be no bad thing...

Bishop Sastre

Brothers,

If the Greek patriarch recognizes the rightful authority and hegemony of the Bishop of Saint Peter then all Eastern Christians can be accepted into the bosom of the Church. If not, then they should be shown the error of their ways.

-Cardinal de Vascona

I was referring to the directed act (shield of St Peter), yes. (thanks Keinwyn)

But as I was not the one to put forward the act my king,(Edit from here to paragraph end)and the word of the father hath spoken, it is up to you my king, should we attempt to subjugate the "romans" to bend their knee towards Rome,and not their seat? I'll leave this to you for now (if we were to attempt something like this, ow could we play it out though?)

I hope this is accepted and may the lord shine favorably on your majesty.

Sincerely Mattias de Soneto, First Count of Pirineo.

Last edited:
Brothers,

If the Greek patriarch recognizes the rightful authority and hegemony of the Bishop of Saint Peter then all Eastern Christians can be accepted into the bosom of the Church. If not, then they should be shown the error of their ways.

-Cardinal de Vascona

May I remind your eminence of Laetentur Caeli: Bulla Unionis Graecorum. The Greek Patriarch, Gregory, fully supports the union of the churches, the Council of Florence and resulting papal bull.
Naturally, in the event of acquiring any town or place that should be reluctant in their adherence to the One True Catholic Church, missions should be established to guide the people of such a place in their faith.

I would reiterate the benefits of making friends and connections amongst the populace of Greece, and thus treading softly would be beneficial to the crown in this matter.

Bishop Sastre

I was referring to the directed act (shield of St Peter), yes. (thanks Keinwyn)

But as I was not the one to put forward the act my king,(Edit from here to paragraph end)and the word of the father hath spoken, it is up to you my king, should we attempt to subjugate the "romans" to bend their knee towards Rome,and not their seat? I'll leave this to you for now (if we were to attempt something like this, ow could we play it out though?)

I hope this is accepted and may the lord shine favorably on your majesty.

Sincerely Mattias de Soneto, First Count of Pirineo.

May I remind your eminence of Laetentur Caeli: Bulla Unionis Graecorum. The Greek Patriarch, Gregory, fully supports the union of the churches, the Council of Florence and resulting papal bull.
Naturally, in the event of acquiring any town or place that should be reluctant in their adherence to the One True Catholic Church, missions should be established to guide the people of such a place in their faith.

I would reiterate the benefits of making friends and connections amongst the populace of Greece, and thus treading softly would be beneficial to the crown in this matter.

Bishop Sastre

vvEKLhO.png

An interesting idea, seeking out friendship with the Orthodox Greeks. Would not the Lord look more favourably upon us if we were able to bring these Orthodox Christians, under the leadership of the Byzantines, into the arms of the holy Church? It is one that requires more thinking. As part of our foreign policy, we will consider bringing the Byzantines under our protection to show them the ways of the true faith. ((We'd vassalize them and force them to convert, although this plan is not guaranteed. It's more of a side policy to pursue))

We have also reconsidered our proposal on guaranteeing Granada and have decided to remove it from the chancellorship plan. While we do not wish for Castile to expand any further, we are not in a position to put the kingdom at risk for some heathens.

((I realize it may be somewhat late, and also that I have virtually no experience in EUIV IAARs (though rather a lot in Civ V ones), but would it be possible for me to join? More specifically, could I create a character to fill one of the 'empty' merchant slots, or would those be reserved for more experienced players?))

vvEKLhO.png

An interesting idea, seeking out friendship with the Orthodox Greeks. Would not the Lord look more favourably upon us if we were able to bring these Orthodox Christians, under the leadership of the Byzantines, into the arms of the holy Church? It is one that requires more thinking. As part of our foreign policy, we will consider bringing the Byzantines under our protection to show them the ways of the true faith. ((We'd vassalize them and force them to convert, although this plan is not guaranteed. It's more of a side policy to pursue))

We have also reconsidered our proposal on guaranteeing Granada and have decided to remove it from the chancellorship plan. While we do not wish for Castile to expand any further, we are not in a position to put the kingdom at risk for some heathens.

Ioannes ears perk up from the idea of a Byzantine intervention. He points out that the Duchy of Athens (independent) has already embraced the true faith under the leadership the new Duke. With a rightful claim on the holding as the son of the old Duke, Ioannes states that he could take the Duchy back by force and use it as a foothold to beat back the Ottoman turks in due time as well as bring the Greeks back under the authority of Rome and a mend to the schism.

((Basically since in my character's story he was groomed for leadership of the Duchy of Athens, it would only make sense that he represents the Kingdom of Aragon in the Greek intervention. More of an RP thing, but I think it would be cool to give a stronger RP reason to intervene there.))

((I realize it may be somewhat late, and also that I have virtually no experience in EUIV IAARs (though rather a lot in Civ V ones), but would it be possible for me to join? More specifically, could I create a character to fill one of the 'empty' merchant slots, or would those be reserved for more experienced players?))

((Anyone is free to join. :) You can also create a merchant character and ask for the official in-game position. There's no work involved, you just get put in the game and receive an extra vote. It's more for flavour.))

Ioannes ears perk up from the idea of a Byzantine intervention. He points out that the Duchy of Athens (independent) has already embraced the true faith under the leadership the new Duke. With a rightful claim on the holding as the son of the old Duke, Ioannes states that he could take the Duchy back by force and use it as a foothold to beat back the Ottoman turks in due time as well as bring the Greeks back under the authority of Rome and a mend to the schism.

((Basically since in my character's story he was groomed for leadership of the Duchy of Athens, it would only make sense that he represents the Kingdom of Aragon in the Greek intervention. More of an RP thing, but I think it would be cool to give a stronger RP reason to intervene there.))

((Good idea. If we try to find a way into Greece, we can use your character as an explanation. :)))

((I just assumed that Alfons' death had made the stability go down. Seems that our good king took care of that himself in these dire times :). As for the cultural acceptance: If an accepted culture drops to less than 10% of total development (without modifiers), then it loses its status. That's what I want to prevent with the steward's plan.))

5wxzSfe.jpg

Your Majesty,

After sharing some ideas with Arturo de Valencia, I have decided to follow his advice. Where Your Majesty's benevolent rule is uncontested, but Your authority is not, measures have to be taken to remedy this. We shouldn't light a fire on the inside, but would get more income from where we are able to. ((decrease autonomy in provinces with at least -9.5% unrest))
As for the choice of allies, I have to agree that keeping Venice is a great benefit. Together, our fleets are hard to match and control the Mediterranean, which would be a great advantage shall we come into conflict with the Infidels. The treacherous Portuguese on the other hand would not be of any use. They have their own ambitions in Africa, and have proven to prefer a Castillian alliance to one with Aragon. Renewing our alliance would only cause more distrust when the next inevitable conflict with Castile draws near.
Tunis' position as center of trade would greatly increase our wealth; and if we would extend our reach into Greek lands, we would come into conflict with the Turk either way. With the riches from Africa and the East flowing into Aragon, we would be in a much stronger position. So I support the consideration of going to war. We may be able to achieve both goals in one war, if we keep the Turk out of Europe and land in Tunis. Though that might be risky and costly, we should not discard the idea but rather see if an opportunity arises.
Improving our relations with the Holy See, while beneficial in every circumstance, could further our interests even more, as we could be able to request a crusade. Any good Catholic would bravely fight in the name of the cross. Instead of Portugal, we could also establish Aragon as ally of the Holy Father.

Your humble servant,
Felice Castelozzi, Count of Palermo and Steward of Aragon

jgJpX4h.png
My King,

I write to you to discuss the matter of alliances and possible wars. We should definitely maintain the alliance with the Venetians. Their great fleets will be very useful against the sultanate of Tunis, and the Ottoman empire. While an alliance with Portugal might seem useful at first, their treachery has to be noticed. They can not be trusted and we should not ally them. War with Tunis is the best choice we have and they should feel the might of our nations! Guaranteeing the petty sultanate of Granada might seem good, but they are heathens and Castille already proved that they can beat us even with French support so war with them would not be wise. While the Pope might be a relict of the past, he still hold much of power and such better relations with him must sought.
Your Vassal:
Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza

Last edited: