• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your Majesty,

the course of the war depends on if we can deal with Castile's allies. Is there no way to appease them, I have to agree that a white peace is indeed the best option Your Highness can choose. Shall we be able to turn the tide with newly hired forces and a well-devised plan, than I propose to aim for a close victory, with the terms including to take away our nemesis' greatest strength: Either their gold mine of Toledo, or should they not be willing to give away their capital, to cancel their alliances, who have caused us great grief in this war. If humanly possible, we should strive to achieve this close victory at all costs, so that we may achieve a great victory in the inevitable next conflict.

Your humble servant,
Felice Castelozzi, Count of Palermo

jgJpX4h.png

My lord,

these are dire times, and while I would wish to kill all the Castillians I can we are not in the suitable position to do anything. That is why I think we should strive for a White Peace. While I do not doubt in the abilities of our generals and bravery of our soldiers we can't fight against such numbers that are possessed by our enemies. But if we will be able to turn this war around and take the initiative we should take their province that produces ever so valuable gold. If they it will be too much they should annul their alliances so they would be an easier target in future.
Your loyal subject
Arturo de Valencia count of Zaragoza, current steward of the realm. [Landed noble]

Last edited:
220px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta_(variant).svg.png

War plan: White Peace

I can only urge you again to end this war on neutral terms and stop the killing between fellow Christians. It is for the best, your Majesty.

- Ramón de Montcada, Knight of Justice and Prelate of the Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Prior of Malta

The one exception is Malta, which can only be held by a knight.

((You know that the order will always be at your service for this :D. I'll give the sub-class more thought, give me a few days and I'll get back to you.))

Last edited:
My Liege,
This war should not be for nothing, we must go for a victory, even a Close Victory, and we must ensure that our men will not have died in vain.

Your loyal servant,
Renato Limmoma

vvEKLhO.png

We wish to offer our faithful subject, Renato Limmona ((@AvatarOfKhaine )), the opportunity to serve us in a new capacity. Naples is of great importance to us and we need someone to serve as a representative of the Crown in their lands. We thus desire that you serve as Viceroy of Naples, since your ties to the region make you perfect for the role. We hope that you can ensure Naples' loyalty to us through this position.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples

((I've created a new council position called a viceroy. Now we'll have characters serve as representatives to each vassal or PU partner we have, so we can potentially have multiple viceroys. Each one has the power to decide how we treat our subject states.))

((I already wonder who'll be given the position of the Viceroy of the mighty Kingdom of Navarra :cool:
Though, will Viceroys have more voting power than ordinary people? Since "Viceroy" does sound influental.))

((I forgot to mention that I've given more voting powers to leaders and council members, and since viceroys count as council members they also get an extra vote.))

vvEKLhO.png

We have taken the advice of our court into consideration and have decided that we shall seek a white peace when it is most expedient. We are unsure if the Castilians will accept such an offer, but we shall at least try to arrange a peace. If not, we will have no choice but to continue. As much as we worry for the kingdom, we cannot accept Aragon giving anything to the Castilians with Toledo under our control.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples

Reactions:
Name: Enrique de Barcelona
Date of Birth: 12 January, 1410
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic
Bio: The son of a prosperous merchant, Enrique de Barcelona grew up in a life of luxury. His father, who had traveled to such places as Italy, Byzantium, the Holy Land, and Germany, loved to regale his children with stories of these distant lands. Filled with a lust for adventure (and wealth), Enrique followed in his father's footsteps, accompanying him on journeys and gaining valuable knowledge of his trade. When Enrique's father died in 1400, Enrique soon began his own career as a merchant. Although he was mistrusted by some acquaintances who thought him deceitful and greedy, Enrique was renowned for his skill in negotiation and his knowledge of distant realms.

Reactions:
1447-1448 – The Castilian War (Part II)

The loss of Alfons V shook the kingdom, but it also brought many changes too. Joan II was not like his brother in most regards. Many called him a coward, behind his back of course, for the king refused to leave the safety of the Baleares until the war was done. In one incident, someone fired off a gun near the home of Esteban Iglesia y Maig where he was staying and the king leapt off a second-storey balcony in fear of getting shot. The king miraculously landed in a hedge and was unharmed, but his pride and reputation were somewhat damaged. In another respect, Joan II differed from his brother. While Alfons V had kept a tight hold on the treasury, his brother was willing to spend whatever was necessary to serve his kingdom. Shortly after coming to power, Joan II arranged for a loan from a group of Italian bankers for 107 ducats and promptly used the funds to hire 10 infantry mercenary regiments. He was willing to let the economy flounder for a while to ensure Aragon was not overrun. He even instituted a war tax to last for two years, or until the war was over.

With Alfons V gone, command of the army fell entirely on the shoulders of General Lino Adrià María de Agramunt. With reinforcements soon expected, he ordered a reorganization of the army. The army was split into three separate forces of six infantry and three cavalry regiments each. Each army would be bolstered by three to four more infantry regiments once they arrived. This also gave Jaume Cristòfor and Felipé de Alvaro the chance to lead an army for the first time since the beginning of the war. Cristòfor took command of the Segon Exercit Principal, while de Alvaro named his new army Exercit del Primer Rei, in honour of the late king. These men knew they were all that stood between Aragon and the Castilian filth.

Elsewhere on the Mediterranean, the heathens rampaged around. The Albanians had foolishly insulted the Ottoman Sultan and would now face his wrath, while Tunis was attempting to expand into Touggourt.

Things grew tenser as Castile split its forces in Madrid. Part of its force went to liberate Toledo while several regiments were heading towards Zaragoza. General Felipé de Alvaro arrived there first and was confronted by the Castilians before the others could arrive. Generals de Agramunt and Cristòfor arrived soon after to aid the other general’s efforts. De Alvaro kept command, since he had set up the defences and was already in the midst of battle. The recently hired mercenaries were ordered to reinforce as the battle progressed, coming in over the next few weeks. This took time though, and the battle had its difficulties. Castile, however, was not allowing this to happen. Their force in Madrid started towards the battlefield, while the siege of Toledo was abandoned and the army marched to Cuenca. These armies were too far away to help though, as the Castilian force in Zaragoza was sent on the run.

While this was all going on, the treasury went bare paying the mercenaries, so King Joan II took out yet another loan. He had to keep the kingdom afloat until the war could be ended. Attempts had been made to feel out a potential peace, but Castile was unwilling to give in yet. They were close though, and that was what mattered.

The Battle in Zaragoza had been a success, but had dragged on for too long. The second Castilian army was already on the way and the army did not have time to retreat. They had no choice but to attempt to hold the enemy off. Matters worsened as a dispute over command arose. General de Agramunt tried to assume command as the senior commander and adopt an aggressive strategy to force the Castilians back, but de Alvaro refused to concede since he wanted to dig in and hold the enemy back. De Alvaro had already led the army in the first battle and had established the defences in Zaragoza, so it only seemed natural that the command should continue to be his, even though de Agramunt did have seniority. As the two argued, and as General Cristòfor failed to keep the two calm, scuffles broke out between soldiers siding with their generals. A few of de Alvaro’s supporters even shouted out that it was de Agramunt’s fault that Alfons V was dead, which only served to incite the senior general’s supporters further. Not wanting to cause an incident, de Agramunt backed down. He would not risk a confrontation when the Castilians were on their way.

Further south, another Castilian army threatened Valencia again, but then marched back to Cuenca, as though rubbing it in the king’s face that Aragon’s capital was so vulnerable. However, that army soon marched up north to intervene in the Second Battle of Zaragoza. As the armies clashed, morale was dangerously low for the Aragonese, and now they didn’t have the numbers. The retreat had to be called. Miscommunication between the generals saw a disorderly retreat with men scattering and fleeing north into France. None of the three could keep their men under control and followed their forces north as they fled all the way to Alencon.

With the Aragonese army on the run through France, Aragon was wide open. Castile liberated Cuenca first of all. Joan II knew that soon Aragonese provinces would fall. When news arrived from France that Charles VII de Valois had faced defeat against Philippe III, Joan II knew that the war was lost. By then, however, Castile was also weary of war. A diplomat was sent to Castile and an arrangement was made for a white peace. Joan II was just glad that Aragon would not lose anything but its pride. When news reached him that Zaragoza had given in to the Castilian siege army the very day the treaty was signed, Joan II was even more ashamed. To have his own countrymen give in when the war was over was an embarrassment to the kingdom. This would not bode well for the count of Zaragoza, Arturo de Valencia.

With peace established, the oversized army could be dealt with. Ten entire regiments of infantry were disbanded, reducing the army down to three forces of six infantry and three cavalry each. Half of the infantry in the army was now mercenaries. The kingdom was desperate for men for its army, with over 11,000 men needed, so it was willing to accept the service of sell-swords for now. Joan II also ordered that the forts in Messina and Girona be mothballed until he could consult the court on the matter of forts. This greatly helped the economy on its path to recovery. The trade fleet was also sent back to Tunis and the main fleet sent back to port in Valencia.

As things started to return to normalcy, Joan II considered what to do with his Council. He was not too pleased with some of them and wanted some fresh faces to remove the memory of the recent war. He intended to fire the entire Council and start anew until a letter arrived from the Pope. His Holiness expressed great pleasure at seeing a cardinal so involved in matters of government in Aragon. Not wanting to risk angering the Pope, Joan II knew that Cardinal Fernando de Vascona would need to continue serving the Council for years to come.

November brought word of a war between England and Scotland. France had come to Scotland’s defence, so Aragon’s ally would be preoccupied for a while. The war was not expected to be too hard on them, especially when the War of the Roses broke out in England.

For the following months, Joan II decided to focus his attention on Navarra. Spies reported that the small nation felt threatened by Aragon, but Joan II only had noble intentions. He would not see his neighbour swallowed up by Castile. He took several measures to improve relations until he believed that the state was willing to accept Aragonese protection. Diplomat Joseph von Thun was sent to Navarra with an offer of Aragon’s protection against the ever-present threat of Castile. Much to the king’s delight, the small country accepted. Navarra would now serve as a vassal of Aragon. With that out of the way, von Thun was sent to Naples to win over the population there that had been ignored for the last few years.

In January, Joan II paid off the first of two loans, one of many steps to recovery. There was still another loan to pay off, but the economy was not in too dire of straits. The kingdom was exhausted from the recent war and there was some unrest, but nothing that couldn’t be handled. At least the army was a manageable size. Aragon had failed against Castile, but they had centuries to get revenge.

vvEKLhO.png

Presenting His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples, and Navarra. ((Diligent, Content, Craven))

We are glad to be back in Valencia, although our dear friend Esteban Iglesia y Maig was most accommodating by opening his home to us in our time of need. It is most unfortunate what has happened over the past few year, but the past cannot be changed. We failed to defeat the Castilians, but at least we did not find our nation torn apart. We have survived, plain and simple. We are glad that we did not pursue this war further to our doom. It is time for a fresh start, and that starts with the Council. We wish to announce that all council members are hereby fired, excluding the Court Chaplain, Cardinal Fernando de Vascona, and the recently appointed Viceroy Renato Limmona. Steward Arturo de Valencia, while your service has been quite excellent, we are embarrassed by the men of your county giving in to the Castilians so easily when the war was almost over. It is a disgrace to our kingdom, although we are sure you are not personally responsible. Perhaps being relieved of your duties on the Council will give you time to instil discipline in the people of Zaragoza. We must also express our discontent with the generals of our army, who failed us in our time of need. We shall not remove you from your positions in the army, for while you may not have been successful against the Castilians, you did serve us faithfully. We shall be seeking someone with a clean slate for Marshal though. We apologize that this has to happen, but those are the circumstances of a war lost, or at least not won. We will say that Grandmaster Erik Inge served our brother well, but we must make this Council our own and appoint our own people. We apologize for having to dismiss such a fine man. We hope that you all understand.

With that out of the way, we shall announce our new Council:
Chancellor - King Joan II de Trastámara
Steward - Felice Castelozzi ((@alscon))
Treasurer - John Kendall ((@JCan))
Grandmaster - Leonardo de Abruzzi ((@GameHunter5303))
Marshal - Carlos de Leon ((@zenphoenix))
Court Chaplain - Fernando de Vascona ((Andre Massena))
Viceroy of Naples - Renato Limmona ((AvatarOfKhaine))
Viceroy of Navarra - Lino Adrià María de Agramunt ((@Firehound15))

((Admittedly, a lot of these choices are simply based on who is active, who fits best for the story, or who outright asked for the position. If any of the ministers don't feel up to it, feel free to tell me and I'll find someone else. If people actually want a specific council position, you can subtly hint at it in the thread, or better yet tell me outright in the Coldfront chat. I won't be offended if you ask for a position, otherwise I won't know who wants what. I'd like to give everyone a chance to try out being part of the Council if they want. :)

I will give my new ministers until 9am PST on Thursday to come up with a plan for their ministries. Use the Council section of the rules as a guideline. The marshal is required to state which forts they wished mothballed (Valencia, Girona, Roussillon, or Messina). As for the new viceroys, you just need to tell me how to treat your assigned vassal. This can be as simple as improving relations to using one of the new subject interaction features of Common Sense. If a plan isn't presented, I'll use whatever plan was presented before or make my own up that fits what happens in-game. If anyone needs any information from the game, don't hesitate to ask. Also, you have until the deadline for the ministry plans to propose any laws you want. I've made note of the two laws proposed earlier, so they'll be included in a vote after the deadline. Hopefully that covers everything.))

Reactions:
lafKQAC.png

Your Grace, honourable members of the court

Today makes my heart heavy, our losses were great and our gain none. However this was not a military defeat, how could it be? Our soldiers fought with honour and valour, our generals were able and loyal. No, this was a diplomatic defeat, a defeat who's seeds were sown before we had even declared war. That Burgundian should ally Castille was predictable, that our allies across the sea should have logistical trouble supplying troops to the front was a matter of course.
It is conceivable that we could have won, however considering the balance of probability, it is not especially surprising that we did not. War should never be declared under such circumstances.

I believe this has thoroughly demonstrated the value - indeed, the necessity - of Portugal as an ally against the Castillans. No one else can provide such swift direct aid to a conflict in the peninsular. In this instance it worked very much against us, swelling the cause of our enemy. Unless we intend to act against the Emperor or the Turk I would therefore recommend to our chancellor dropping the Venetian alliance in favour of the Portuguese.

I would like to end by commending the armies of Aragon for their service, they did their country proud.

Alejandro Sastre
Bishop of Valencia

My king,

I pass on my condolences for the loss of your brother, truly a great king has left this earth. We should be thankful that Aragon was able to force the King of Castille to sign a white peace, however, this failure in war shows the need for allies that are close to our border. To be more sperefic we need Portugal an ally and not Venice, as Bishop Alejandro has already mentioned. The closeness of Portugal to both Castille and Aragon would be vital in a war.Furthurmore I suggest that we work on weakening the relations between the two nations, in order to ensure this new alliance stays strong for sake of the nation of Aragon.

Yours,

Deigo De La Vega, Count of Messina

Your Grace,

Firstly, I must express my unmitigated thanks for appointing me as Treasurer of your Kingdom of Aragon. The move to reshuffle your Council could well be described as regrettable, but even more so sensible and imperative. As the war with Castile unfortunately took a turn for the worse, please accept my compliments on your swift decision-making resulting in the stabilisation of the situation.

The actions you decided upon in order to rescue the Kingdom from potential disaster were indeed necessary. However, it is to our chagrin that the Kingdom's treasury is in need of assessment. I will, of course, be closely analysing the condition of the treasury
((how much is in our treasury btw?)) upon my arrival to court in the very near future. In the meantime though, I would like to put to you the following recommendations:
  • An Assistant Treasurer ((Treasurer Advisor)) or a Natural Scientist should be hired, as and when a suitable candidate becomes available.
  • The mothballing of the fort in Girona was a wise and necessary decision. I would suggest we go further still, and mothball the fort in Roussillon as well, provided our relations with France remain positive. Naturally, Marshall De Leon should have the final say in this matter, and I am keen to hear his opinion.
  • In light of the likelihood of a future war being declared on a new front, I would suggest the navy and army should be fully supported in terms of funding. Although costly, I believe this too to be necessary.
  • In the event of the Kingdom being at war, war taxes should be collected immediately.
  • Once the treasury's coffers have recovered somewhat ((I need to clarify a 'threshold' of sorts once I know how much is actually in the treasury)), I would suggest paying back at least one of the loans as soon as possible.
I believe all of the above are rational initial steps for the economy.

Yours always dutifully,
John Kendall

Treasurer of the Kingdom of Aragon

Last edited:
sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My grace,

I apologize for the defeat in the Battle of Zaragoza, but it gladdens me that you continoue to have faith in my abilities as a general. I will do my best not to fail you. We may have lost this war, but we have gained a vassal, and there is many more battles to be fought against the wretched castillians.

I must agree with Bishop Alejandro and Count De La Vega, we should ally Portugal, if they don't help us against the castilians, atleast they have a greater chance of staying out of the next war.

Your loyal servant,

Felipé de Alvaro

A private letter is also sent to General de Agramunt.

My fellow general,

I apologize for my behaviour on the battlefield. Hope laid heavy together the bodies of my, and your, men and we were the last line against a certain defeat. The stress of battle overwhelmed my men and they snapped. One again, I apologize. I hope we can work together in future wars and stand up against any who dare oppose us.

Your fellow general,

Felipé de Alvaro

(I realize I come late to you, but I admire the sheer depth you have included here michaelangelo, and for this I would love to take part in your iAAR as the first i'll taken part in)

Name:Matthias de Soneta

Born: 17th October 1423

Class: Noble

Religion: cynical catholic (to explain, accepts the faith and the power of the church, but is more inclined to believe the new advances in the sciences that are commencing)

Bio: Orginally of Spanish decent, he none the less has a continent wide family, with strong links to the enemy England and the Eastern Seat of Christanity at Byzantium. Through this, he was forced almost into a wide education range, studying around Europe, picking up grasps of all fields, and benefitted from joining the first intake of students, in his later education, at the newly founded Eton College in England. after this sweeping range of education, through which he picked up wide reaching language skills, he commenced a tour of the continent. He has just returned, and is willing to use his skills, but perhaps through his arrogance as well (due to his age and perceived knowledge), to serve the mighty crown of Aragon in any way his liege sees him to do, as compensation for his lack of involvement in the first affairs of state under the sadly missed Alfonso the Fifth, all hail the new king Joan the Second.

(I would request the county of Pirineo, if my grace would be so kind as to bestow it upon me, Edit: I saw that Pirineo is both a bishopric and a county, how does this work as such?)

Last edited:
Reactions:
jgJpX4h.png
My liege,
while I understand your decision to change the council, I do not understand what you mean by ordering me to better drill the soldiers of my country. I must say that it was a miracle that they have held their positions as long as they did since as I'm aware my county does not have a good fortification. They had to rely on hastily build stockade. The sheer number of Castillian army made it impossible to defend for long. As such I see no point in training my men even more as it is required for them to not lose their abilities. Another thing to note is news about the peace treaty didn't reach my troops nor the Castillian ones in time, so it's only natural that something happened while you were signing the treaty.

Regards
Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza

Last edited:
My Liege,
I'm sorry about our loss, but it was not completly our fault, the French overextended themselves and got their armys destroyed by Burgundy, and Venice, landed with insurmountable odds, they were brave but it was not smart.

Thank you so much for appointing me Grandmaster, I believe our previous Grandmaster has done a fine job with trade so I will leave our ships and merchants where they are.

In Great News I have birthed a son, Renato de Abruzzi! ((Inspiration from our dear leader in our Naples campaign.))

~Leonardo de Abruzzi, Grandmaster of the Realm

Matthias, still as of yet undecided on his role in the play of events, congratulates Grandmaster Abruzzi on his new child, and the continuation of his legacy.

(this means you got to update your description GameHunter ;))