• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I find it most disturbing that Lord Matsui is denying his involvement in the war with the Nanban which has led to the death of many Japanese and humiliated Nippon. While Tairo Satake was wise enough to remove Lord Matsui before his order to murder all Nanban could be enforced, Lord Matsui still incited peasants and samurai to kill all of the Nanban. Whether he likes it or not, Lord Matsui, through his rash and ill thought out order to kill all Nanban, has brought death and destruction to our fair Nippon and brought dishonor to himself and his family. I agree with the calls for justice to be brought upon Lord Matsui, either through his execution or the committing of seppuku.

I also do not know what delusion has overtaken Lord Matsui for him to be so bold as to call for the execution of the entirety of the Self-Strengthening Faction for purportedly being in league with the Nanban to destroy the Shogunate. I do believe he has confused it with the Imperial Restoration Faction, for which such an accusation would be more wisely leveled. The reforms that have been brought to Nippon have made us stronger against the forces of the Nanban. Only through further reform can we match the Nanban in strength and ability and create a better Nippon for all.

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama, Roju of Chugoku

If we do not wish to become like the redhairs, perhaps we should study the way the Toki. They fought with a bravery surpassed only by the good men of Kyushu, and I hear word that their empire's forebearers once conquered our new Nanban partner, Spain. They call them the Old Man of Europe, but much the same has been said of China and they proved indispensable allies in their conquest of the Indian princes weakened by succumbing too much to Western influence without taking Western technique and technology.

If we do not wish to become like the redhairs, perhaps we should study the way the Toki. They fought with a bravery surpassed only by the good men of Kyushu, and I hear word that their empire's forebearers once conquered our new Nanban partner, Spain. They call them the Old Man of Europe, but much the same has been said of China and they proved indispensable allies in their conquest of the Indian princes weakened by succumbing too much to Western influence without taking Western technique and technology.

I disagree with the Honourable Lord. If we wish to be the best, we must surpass the best. If we wish to surpass the best, we must learn from the best. If the British are indeed the best, then we should swallow our pride and learn from them. Or better yet, their arch-rivals: that way we stregthen ourselves and weaken our enemies at the same time.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

This is what happens when the Nanban are not dealt with the proper care. Truly barbarians, they will destroy all what is Japan if we are not careful in our dealings.

This is what happens when the Nanban are not dealt with the proper care. Truly barbarians, they will destroy all what is Japan if we are not careful in our dealings.

You have my sympathies in having to have dealt with such a subordinate. If only he had followed your own cautious approach in dealing with the insurgent threat then this shameful business might have been avoided entirely.

You have my sympathies in having to have dealt with such a subordinate. If only he had followed your own cautious approach in dealing with the insurgent threat then this shameful business might have been avoided entirely.

I only pray to the ancestors that Matsui can find redemption through an honourable death.

yYQkKxy.png

To the Honorable Lords of Japan

The Spanish government welcomes participation between the Japanese and the Spanish. We hope that the end of Japanese isolation brings greater economic prosperity to Japan and her people. We hope that the light of civilization shines on Japan, and we hope that the sovereignty of Japan remain intact.

-Carlos VI, King of Spain

--------------------------

I am introducing something new for the game now that we are under the control of Spain. The Spanish government, or any government that has us sphere for this matter, may ask that the Tairo, Roju, or all Daimyo, oblige to do something the Spanish want during time between playthroughs. Think of these as "Overlord Missions". Basically, the Spanish government gives an assignment, say "Lower Militancy", or may ask that specific Daimyo get appointed to certain spots in the advisory council/Roju, or they may ask to have a Daimyo come to Spain for diplomatic talks, removing his ability to vote. It can be any assignment the Spanish want Japan to do.

If the mission is completed by the players, then that increases the relations between Japan and the nation whose SoI Japan is in. Complete enough of these and Japan will be rewarded. Maybe it will be able to pass a reform without militancy rising. Maybe it will earn some free troops. Maybe it will lower militancy. Perhaps it will give a player a bonus. The reward possibilities are endless.

However, if the mission is failed by the players, then relations will decrease. If Japan fails enough missions, Japan will suffer consequences. Whether that be forced reforms (Reforms that give double the MIL), disbanding of troops, raising of militancy, giving a player a penalty, forcing a Daimyo on the Adviser Council to resign, who knows.

So this will hopefully create a sorta relationship between the Spanish/SoI master nation and Japan. Perhaps I may even get a player from outside the player-base to play as the Spanish government in assigning these missions. Tell me what you think of this.

Reactions:
((I think that Carlist flag is twice as big as it needs to be. :p Nah seriously I think that your idea adds an interesting dynamic to the iAAR, Naxhi.))

yYQkKxy.png

To the Honorable Lords of Japan

The Spanish government welcomes participation between the Japanese and the Spanish. We hope that the end of Japanese isolation brings greater economic prosperity to Japan and her people. We hope that the light of civilization shines on Japan, and we hope that the sovereignty of Japan remain intact.

-Carlos VI, King of Spain

--------------------------

I am introducing something new for the game now that we are under the control of Spain. The Spanish government, or any government that has us sphere for this matter, may ask that the Tairo, Roju, or all Daimyo, oblige to do something the Spanish want during time between playthroughs. Think of these as "Overlord Missions". Basically, the Spanish government gives an assignment, say "Lower Militancy", or may ask that specific Daimyo get appointed to certain spots in the advisory council/Roju, or they may ask to have a Daimyo come to Spain for diplomatic talks, removing his ability to vote. It can be any assignment the Spanish want Japan to do.

If the mission is completed by the players, then that increases the relations between Japan and the nation whose SoI Japan is in. Complete enough of these and Japan will be rewarded. Maybe it will be able to pass a reform without militancy rising. Maybe it will earn some free troops. Maybe it will lower militancy. Perhaps it will give a player a bonus. The reward possibilities are endless.

However, if the mission is failed by the players, then relations will decrease. If Japan fails enough missions, Japan will suffer consequences. Whether that be forced reforms (Reforms that give double the MIL), disbanding of troops, raising of militancy, giving a player a penalty, forcing a Daimyo on the Adviser Council to resign, who knows.

So this will hopefully create a sorta relationship between the Spanish/SoI master nation and Japan. Perhaps I may even get a player from outside the player-base to play as the Spanish government in assigning these missions. Tell me what you think of this.

((Thats an interesting idea))

Last edited:
(( I love the idea. It helps shake up the status quo. ))

((I look away for a day and we get conquered by Spain of all people?! Could somebody help explain what happened here?))

((I look away for a day and we get conquered by Spain of all people?! Could somebody help explain what happened here?))

((This is what happens when you put Andre in a position of power and responsibility. Every time. :p))

((BTW there are people calling for your execution now because of your part in the war.))

((I have indeed decided to let an outside player play as Ambassador to Japan from Spain who will be assigning you all missions. That player is longtime IAAR supporter Contravarius. Feel free to post your ambassador character whenever you want Contra))

((I have indeed decided to let an outside player play as Ambassador to Japan from Spain who will be assigning you all missions. That player is longtime IAAR supporter Contravarius. Feel free to post your ambassador character whenever you want Contra))

((Bout time he showed up.))

I disagree with the Honourable Lord. If we wish to be the best, we must surpass the best. If we wish to surpass the best, we must learn from the best. If the British are indeed the best, then we should swallow our pride and learn from them. Or better yet, their arch-rivals: that way we stregthen ourselves and weaken our enemies at the same time.

This is treason. I call for Hosokawa-dono's execution.

If Nippon is going to turn into a western whore as it adopts "reform" after "reform" then I have no wish to live in this Nippon anymore. I shall leave this earthly plane before Nippon loses its innocence and has been completely desecrated and violated.

((This is what happens when you put Andre in a position of power and responsibility. Every time. :p))

((BTW there are people calling for your execution now because of your part in the war.))

((PttP disagrees :p))

Last edited:
Reactions:

If Nippon is going to turn into a western whore as it adpots "reform" after "reform" then I have no wish to live in this Nippon anymore. I shall leave this earthly plane before Nippon loses its innocence and has been completely desecrated and violated.

Please do

If Nippon is going to turn into a western whore as it adpots "reform" after "reform" then I have no wish to live in this Nippon anymore. I shall leave this earthly plane before Nippon loses its innocence and has been completely desecrated and violated.)

I remind you that thanks to the actions of you and your government, Japan is now a subject nation to the Kingdom of Spain. The Nanban are already here, Japan's "innocence" has already been lost and the "desecration' and "violation" are already taking place. And you are solely to blame for that.

((Private - all Kyushu Daimyo))

Great Men of Kyushu,

I, like the rest of you, mourn for the loss of our brave fellows who fought and died in a meaningless war we could not hope to win. As the Lord of Nagasaki says, only a fool goes to war when one's katana is left in the forge. This war has wreaked great devastation on our province, while the rest of Japan remains for the most part unscathed. We did not want this war; we did not cause this war; the Lord of Miyazaki even took the brave, sensible yet utterly futile step of warning the baka Matsui of the consequences of war, at great risk to his own life. Alas, one cannot reason with dogs and fools. This war, and the destruction and humiliation it has disproportionately caused us, was forced upon us by forces oblivious to our needs and concerns: it was started by the idiocy of a single man, who is from Kansai, who was appointed by a man from Tohoku; neither of whom were endorsed by the great men of Kyushu. Indeed, in the three terms Lord Satake has served as Tairo, he has only once saw fit to appoint a Kyushu Lord as a Shogunal advisor; a weak, decrepit old man who was unanimously rejected by the other Lords of Kyushu and whom no longer takes part in national affairs. This has been a predominately Northern regime run by northerners and for the benefit of northerners; the so-called "regionalism" of the Raijin Alliance is in practice nothing more than "regionalism for the north, centralisation for everyone else."

It is clear that simply petitioning the Shogun and his poisonous advisors as we have done for the past fifteen years is no longer an option. Must we have to fend off a second foreign invasion on our own due to Northern incompetence while the Shogun's toxic northern advisors wait out the conflict in their plush mountainous castles? No, I say! The concerns and needs of Kyushu must be heard, for the nation's sake, as well as our own! I therefore humbly propose that we set up our own bloc, a Fujin League, if you will, dedicated to countering the toxic influence which pollutes our Shogun and Emperor, and to the modernisation of our nation, for the benefit of Kyushu and indeed of all Japan.

I formally invite all of you to Kumamoto castle to discuss this initiative further.

((Private - all Kyushu Daimyo))

My Roju, I will gladly join in the discussion of this Fujin League with my fellow Daimyo of Kyushu. We have always been the first ones to interact with the Nanban that trade with us, and now we have come to see that we will be the first ones targeted by the Nanban when it comes to war. We must stay united more than ever, for it is clear that these are dangerous times for our home island. We have been so painfully shown that our ways do not work any more. We can no longer stay isolated, or else the Nanban will return in force again. Only by adopting western technology and ideas and making them our own will we be able to prepare for when the Nanban return, for surely they will. They have always desired our trade, and soon they will desire our land, for we have seen how the British carved up India. If Kyushu and all of Nippon is to survive, we must become stronger. I can only hope that we of Kyushu can work together to convince our fellow Daimyo of Nippon of what must be done.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

It is no coincidence that Daimyo Matsui was not selected to represent his region.
Even the wisest man can be mistaken, but only a fool doesn't learn from his mistakes. Myself and other honourable daimyos have insisted on the right course of action for Japan - a path of modernisation that is needed to keep Japanese sovereignity. Daimyo Matsui did not hear to our advice, and commited unimaginable crimes, worthy only to barbarians, bringing disgrace and destruction to Japan. A honourable Japanese, realizing his horrible mistakes, would commit seppuku when his overlord allowed him to. But Matsui, may the demons curse him, keeps claiming he did nothing wrong. If he does not take responsibility for his actions, justice should be delivered to him.

((Private - to Daimyo Hosokawa))
I will gladly attend the meeting discussions about the Fujin League. I should depart to Kumamoto Castle immediately. I still have pleasant memories from my last visit.

~ Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain

Last edited:
The Contravarius Chronicles - I

contra_zpsflvto5yp.jpg

His Excellency Carlos Xavier Francisco dom Contravarius y d'Alatriste-Erbenice, the Duke of Primavera and Gran Asesor General of the Spanish Crown to the Empire of Japan, the head-gaijin here to represent the European interests and the World Outside personified, spits the strange-tasting okazu on the ground. He had tried to be polite this whole time, but ¡ay dios mio!, this strange fish tastes like something had died in it, on it and all around it.

Born into a one of the richest branches of the Contravarius dynasty, the young Duke had been educated accordingly - not only did he, after the standard tour of Europe, spend a few years in the University of Vienna studying philosophy and seducing Austrian girls, he also managed to get admitted to Artillery School in Segovia.
Duke had then served in the Spanish military along with the rest of bright-blue and noble blood of Spain and had even had the chance to fight in some minor skirmishes here and there with a Catalan regiment, gathering material for his overly heroic stories the señoritas back home so loved. Although a mediocre tactician, he was always ready to compensate all his miststeps with his talent as a story-teller, managing to turn the lackluster bombardments into wild adventures. After showing some talent behind the negotiation tables he was quickly reassigned to the underdeveloped and outdated Spanish diplomatic corps and, as a result of some aristocratic machinations, sent out to the recently subjugated island of Japan – a terrible prospect for any amateur European diplomat as the island was, aside from being on the other side of the planet, already famous for both its confusing and unstable political scene and mostly hostile attitude towards foreigners.

And now the whole grand hall full of little yellow people in strange dresses was staring right at him, either completely disgusted or incredibly happy. Don Carlos, yet to understand how exactly their facial expressions worked, is still more than ready to bet half of his fourteen nieces that they were leaning towards the first option. A heavy-handed diplomat at heart, he chooses to not go for the standard embarrassed cough and just pushes the ornate bowl of untasty beige goo farther away to focus on the tasteless white stuff he had been informed was called “uruchimai“.

At least there was a chance that they’d name a street in his name or something.

[[ ¡Hola, mis compadres! As already spoiled by your GM here, I'll be playing the part of Spanish Empire and giving you missions here and there. If you complete them, you'll be rewarded accordingly. More completed missions and increased relations with Corona de España will lead to bigger missions and better rewards. On the other hand, if you manage to get rid of the Spanish gaijins, you'll also be getting rid of me (a pleasing prospect for some of you, I'm sure). ]]

Reactions: