• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My great Lord Hosokawa, I humbly accept your invitation to bring the men of Kyushu together for the defence of the Emperor from misguided Northerners. We stand as the gatekeepers of the Empire, and it appears that only the men of our island appreciate the dire threat which the Gaijin pose to our way of life.

Yamamoto Hirakuni

While I do agree with Yamamoto-san and Hosokawa-san in regard to the fate of Daimyo Hideki, it is not my place to render any such opinion as to the fate of Daimyo Hideki. That said, I believe that seppuku would be a most appropriate alternative to his execution, should he accept such a generous offer to restore his honor and his family's. However, as I previously mentioned, it is not my place to render a "ruling" as to the fate of Daimyo Hideki- that honor rests in powers beyond myself.

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

Last edited:
While I do agree with Yamamoto-san and Hosokawa-san in regard to the fate of Daimyo Hideki, it is not my place to render any such opinion as to the fate of Daimyo Hideki. That said, I believe that seppuku would be a most appropriate alternative to his execution, should he accept such a generous offer to restore his honor and his family's. However, as I previously mentioned, it is not my place to render an opinion as to the fate of Daimyo Hideki- that honor rests in powers beyond myself.

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

Just as a Samurai recruited by a Daimyo is responsible to that Daimyo as well as the Daimyo's Lord, so is that Lord responsible to his Lord for the actions of his underling. If the samurai misbehaves, then custom dictates that his Lord must either punish his samurai, or be punished by his Lord. As it was the Tairo who, in the name of the Shogun, appointed the Ometsuke, I think it fair and reasonable that the Tairo call for his head on behalf of the Shogun.

Nevertheless, should Lord Satake feel honour-bound to request permission from the Shogun first, then I hereby propose that he request to the Shogun that Hideki's fate be left to the Daimyo of Japan to decide collectively in the form of a vote, should the Shogun himself not wish to hand out judgement personally.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

Reactions:
Fellow Lords, I have but one act to propose to you this day:

I hereby request that Hideki Matsui be executed for high treason. His reckless stupidity has cost the lives of thousands of Japanese, many of whom were my subordinates, and has irrevocably embarrassed the people and nation of Japan. Should Satake fail to order this execution, then I will personally hold him responsible for the idiocy of his subordinate.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu.

If I am to be executed then all the men of the Self-Strengthening Faction should also be executed for being in league with the nanban to destroy the Shogunate.

War was not brought by my me: it was brought here by the British barbarians. We have seen the evidence that demonstrates that they are in league with traitors to bring down the Shogun. They used my actions as a pretext for the rape of Nippon since they were looking for any excuse to go to war.

-Matsui Hideki

If I am to be executed then all the men of the Self-Strengthening Faction should also be executed for being in league with the nanban to destroy the Shogunate.

War was not brought by my me: it was brought here by the British barbarians. We have seen the evidence that demonstrates that they are in league with traitors to bring down the Shogun. They used my actions as a pretext for the rape of Nippon since they were looking for any excuse to go to war.

-Matsui Hideki
You are responsible for the event that ended centeries of peaceful trade and have put Nippon at greatest danger it has faced since the Mongol invasion.

Nippon was not raped, and that was do to the reform brought by the Self-Strengthening Faction.

You are responsible for the event that ended centeries of peaceful trade and have put Nippon at greatest danger it has faced since the Mongol invasion.

Nippon was not raped, and that was do to the reform brought by the Self-Strengthening Faction.

*Lord Hosokawa leans over to Lord Kishiwada*

When a dog barks, a man does not bark back. Thus is the gulf of wisdom which separates men from mere beasts.

*Lord Hosokawa leans over to Lord Kishiwada*

When a dog barks, a man does not bark back. Thus is the gulf of wisdom which separates men from mere beasts.

Honorable elders, I am a mere provincial Daimyo yet I feel compelled to send you this letter. You should know, no matter how he treats Matsui now, Lord Kishiwada was specifically singled out by the British in their demands to take over the position of Tairo. Now, why would this be?

((You can check this with anyone who was there during the update on IRC last night))

Furthermore...

I also ask that the Shogun execute justice upon Sakamoto san. Twice he led armies of superior numbers against Gaijin armies in my home province of Nagasaki. Twice he failed ignominiously. To lose once is a tragedy, to lose twice is treason. This samurai does not deserve to serve the Emperor in the field. Sakamoto Naotari must be removed from his position and punished with execution as a warning to others that to fight for the Emperor is to fight to the death.

Yamamoto Hirakuni
Daimyo of Nagasaki

I must petition against Daimyo Yamamoto's course of action. Seppeku is fitting for a general who leads his army into a battle they cannot win and could have avoided. Sakamoto did not choose these battles, he merely did the best he could with the situation he was handed. If Nippon is going to self-strengthen, it will need more men like him who can follow orders rather than act with as much independent initiative as generals had in the past before the age of the Minnie-ball. I feel it would be improper and disloyal to a man's service to use him as a scapegoat for our own inferior tactics and weapons.

Every so-called reform embraced by your faction is a violation of Nippon. If you had any decency you would commit seppuku or move to England.

Honorable elders, I am a mere provincial Daimyo yet I feel compelled to send you this letter. You should know, no matter how he treats Matsui now, Lord Kishiwada was specifically singled out by the British in their demands to take over the position of Tairo. Now, why would this be?

((You can check this with anyone who was there during the update on IRC last night))

Furthermore...

((Yeah, I actually think naxhi should mention that since it was vital to Firehound's decision to ask Spain for help. As it is right now the update kind of implies that surrendering to Spain was the same as surrendering to the British when in reality it was a much better choice given the British demands.))

Furthermore...

((Wait, we don't know that. We, or Dada rather, only knew that a foreign power was planning something in Japan. We can subsequently guess that this power was the British because Andre was silly enough to start a war. None of us know that the British had singled out Kishiwada except Kishiwada.))

((Different thing. In the war demands the British gave the government they demanded Satake step down and Kishiwada become Tairo.))

((Different thing. In the war demands the British gave the government they demanded Satake step down and Kishiwada become Tairo.))

((IRC is OOC. Only Kishiwada knows that Kishiwada made a deal with the British. But we all know IC that Britain declared war as a response to the Ometsuke's actions.))

((There is no way the government couldn't know that Kishiwada was the choice of the British, it was in the British demands. Now if you want to say that Satake and the foreign ministry haven't released that information, that's one thing, but it's only time.))

((There is no way the government couldn't know that Kishiwada was the choice of the British, it was in the British demands. Now if you want to say that Satake and the foreign ministry haven't released that information, that's one thing, but it's only time.))

((If it wasn't posted in this thread, it isn't AAR canon., and even if those demands were made public, they aren't evidence of the deal. It makes perfect sense that the British would choose to depose a reactionary Tairo with the liberal challenger who almost defeated him by one vote. Your overstepping your character's bounds here.))

((I didn't reference the IRF conspiracy or the Oniwaban's findings, I solely mentioned that I think being the favored replacement by the British is evidence enough of wrongdoing. That is information we know, since I may not be a government minister but I was there during the update and involved in decision making somewhat, given that I was going to be sent on a diplomatic mission to the Netherlands before everything exploded.))

((I didn't reference the IRF conspiracy or the Oniwaban's findings, I solely mentioned that I think being the favored replacement by the British is evidence enough of wrongdoing. That is information we know, since I may not be a government minister but I was there during the update and involved in decision making somewhat, given that I was going to be sent on a diplomatic mission to the Netherlands before everything exploded.))

((I dispute that, as your character isn't a government minister. If he was to be an envoy to the Netherlands, then I still wouldn't expect him to have that kind of information, as it doesn't pertain to The Netherlands and your character is still just an envoy, more of a message-boy rather than a message-drafter, so to speak. Your character wasn't present on IRC, so that isn't a justification for IC knowledge.))

((Private))

Tsugaru Noboyuki sits in his Edo residence, far from his beloved North, and drinks.

We won, but at the cost of selling our martial soul to the Imperial Restorationists. The Shogunate has been weakened, more power has been handed over to the courtiers in Kyoto. Bakumatsu they are saying now, the Late Shogunate. This is unacceptable. But what can be done? The North has had total control for years now, and it still did not prevent this from happening. Perhaps it is time to look beyond the North for those who are loyal to the Shogunate which gave their families their domains in the first place and brought order and unity to the islands.

For, if this is the autumn of the Shogunate, it is up to men of virtue to make it one of bountiful harvest, and not one of barren branches.

But where would one find such men?

((The IC terms we were presented involved Kashiwada becoming Tairō, yes. We ICly were aware of the peace terms that Britain was offering us, which involved that. I mean, no one knows why it was Kashiwada, or why he was hiding in British protection, but we know he was.))

((The IC terms we were presented involved Kashiwada becoming Tairō, yes. We ICly were aware of the peace terms that Britain was offering us, which involved that. I mean, no one knows why it was Kashiwada, or why he was hiding in British protection, but we know he was.))

((We meaning the cabinet though. Hosokawa and Tsugaru wouldn't know unless you, Dada or Terra leaked that info.))

((We meaning the cabinet though. Hosokawa and Tsugaru wouldn't know unless you, Dada or Terra leaked that info.))

((I'm not entirely sure, in all honesty. I don't know for a fact whether the British peace terms were common knowledge, although the implication is that they are probably not...

Anyway, let's stop with the OOC for now.))

((Yes I probably should have added that. The British terms as mentioned in the update where basically the same as the Spanish terms, except Kishiwada became Tairo. I also should have added that Kansai became a target for the British. Tell you what, I will add these bits and pieces as explanation into why you did what you did. Anyway back to ICing now))

((And for a better perspective, the Roju should know about the treaty presented to them. From now on, I will inform all Roju members who were not on IRC about events that took place they should know about))

Last edited: