• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Edict to Open National Harbours: Yes
Tenpo Reforms: No

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

((Double Roju term from 5 years to 10 years: No))

While the first edict is an excellent step towards improving trade to better learn the ways of the West, I feel that the Tenpo Reforms are not as well refined. The first clause states that the Shogun takes all crops from our farmers, but does not provide compensation for such an action. Do we expect all our farmers to go destitute while the Shogun hordes their grain? This system forces the farmers of Nippon to rely solely on the kindness of the Shogun or the Daimyos for their survival, which is a dangerous precedent. Farmers should at least be paid for their crops if they are to have them all claimed by the Shogun. I also feel that implementing a new currency will add unnecessary complications to our economy. The third clause alone has my full support though.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

On the Tenpō Reforms. Article One states that peasents will be given enough produce to satisfy their basic needs. It is essential that the Shogūn stockpile surplus crop so that he can feed the people of Nippon in times of strife. If such a system had been in place when the Tenpō Famine struck far fewer would have died.

The implementation of a new currency is essential. On a visit to Deijma I found that the Nanban were taking hoards of gold and silver for trinkets, clearly a more ordered currency with a set value for trade with the Nanban will suit Nippon better. Current Tokugawa coinage valued at £1 has a material value of £100. That is a £1 coin, if melted down, is worth £100 to the Nanban. If we are going to trade with foreigners we might do well to avoid such exploitation.

~Yoshito; 1st Lord Fureno-Shizuoka

Reactions:
Edict to Open National Harbors*:Yes
Tenpo Reforms: Yes
184X Budget: Yes

[Provincal]
[Chubu]
[None]

((Double Roju term from 5 years to 10 years: Abstain))

On the Tenpō Reforms. Article One states that peasents will be given enough produce to satisfy their basic needs. It is essential that the Shogūn stockpile surplus crop so that he can feed the people of Nippon in times of strife. If such a system had been in place when the Tenpō Famine struck far fewer would have died.

The implementation of a new currency is essential. On a visit to Deijma I found that the Nanban were taking hoards of gold and silver for trinkets, clearly a more ordered currency with a set value for trade with the Nanban will suit Nippon better. Current Tokugawa coinage valued at £1 has a material value of £100. That is a £1 coin, if melted down, is worth £100 to the Nanban. If we are going to trade with foreigners we might do well to avoid such exploitation.

From how I read the first article, it says that the Daimyo is given the crops, not the peasants. If the Daimyo decides it would better serve his purpose to sell the crops instead of distributing it to the people, he could do so. It is an unnecessary complication. It would be easier to let the farmers keep a portion of their crops or to give the people the food directly instead of forcing them to hand everything over and hope that their Daimyo will give them enough back. The idea of stockpiling food is a good one, but we must not so callously dabble with every farmer's livelihood. I will concede that my knowledge of our currency is limited, so you may well be right in that matter.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

An amendment can be made.

~Yoshito, 1st Lord-Fureno

184X Budget: Abstain

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kanasi]

Blasphemy

-Matsui

Tenpo Reforms: Abstain

[Regional Daimyo]
[Chubu]

((Double Roju term: Absain))

Edict to Open National Harbors*:Yes

[Karo]
[Shikoku]
[None]

((Double Roju term from 5 years to 10 years: Yes))

~Sakamoto Naotari

Tenpo "Reform:" No
Budget: No

[Regional, Kyushu]

((Double Roju Term: No))

Edict to Open National Harbors: Aye
Tenpo Reforms: Nay

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Chugoku]

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama Domain

((Double Roju term: No))

Sorry. Loggingout's character wasn't on the list so I didn't see that Yamagata was already taken. I'm changing my character from a Sakai of the Shonai Domain (Yamagata province) to a Tsugaru of the Hirosaki Domain (Aomori Province).

(The opening post said it was always cool to join, so I skimmed the thread and made a character. Hope this is ok)

Name: Tsugaru Noboyuki (b. 1814), Lord of Hirosaki
Class: Daimyo
Province of Control ((For Daimyo Only)): Aomori
Background: tbd

jwSvG7V.jpg

fx8gGGY.png

Just as rain, born formless, is nonetheless part of the storm; this one who has yet to make a name among the daimyo is part of the Thunder Alliance.

Nippon is a diverse empire and each region has its own rich traditions. And just as the Emperor's wisdom radiates upon the Shogunate, the wisdom of the Ronju enables the harmony of the other Daimyo which enables the Samurai to be harmonious with the countryside. Be it in the name of self-strengthening or in well-intentioned attempts to loudly demonstrate one's piety to tradition and the divine Emperor, too much centralization of power in the capital would be a mistake.

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kanasi]

Blasphemy

-Matsui

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

((Double Roju term: Absain))

Tenpo "Reform:" No
Budget: No

[Regional, Kyushu]

((Double Roju Term: No))

Edict to Open National Harbors: Aye
Tenpo Reforms: Nay

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Chugoku]

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama Domain

((Double Roju term: No))

Could you please inform me on the issues you have with the Tenpō Reforms.

~Yoshito, 1st Lord Fureno-Shizuoka

If the Head Elder does not object to the building of more harbors and the change of currency, then the reforms must not push too far in the direction of modernization. I do however have some questions about the accumulation of all rice grown to the capital.

- Daimyo Tsugaru Noboyuki of the Hirosaki Domain

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Chubu]

((Double Roju term: Yes))

Edict to Open National Harbours: No

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Shikoku]