How to fix Darkest Hour for Windows 8!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone. So I just downloaded the game on my computer. I tried the registry solution and it works, but the mouse lags and the game is really slow as well. My graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. Which one of the previous solutions mentioned should I use to stop the lag since my graphics card is Intel? Thanks!

Hi everyone. So I just downloaded the game on my computer. I tried the registry solution and it works, but the mouse lags and the game is really slow as well. My graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. Which one of the previous solutions mentioned should I use to stop the lag since my graphics card is Intel? Thanks!
Do not use the registry fix then. Use the windowed solution (reading the instructions VERY carefully). That should run smoothly. Also, what monitor resolution are you using?

So I began playing DH very recently, and after a bit over an hour, game just crashed. It's been like three times now, and I think all ofthem have been triggered by war or something.

What I'm really here for is because the .reg solution doesn't work (windows doesn't accept the file as a register file apparently) and I cannot find the other files I should alter for the other solutions. I bought and play through Steam, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

So I began playing DH very recently, and after a bit over an hour, game just crashed. It's been like three times now, and I think all ofthem have been triggered by war or something.

What I'm really here for is because the .reg solution doesn't work (windows doesn't accept the file as a register file apparently) and I cannot find the other files I should alter for the other solutions. I bought and play through Steam, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
The games files are in your Steam directory. Google how to find that.

the registry fix helped alot for me

the text is so much easier to read now that it isnt squashed up from window mode

the mouse still feels a tiny bit slow but that maybe how it originally was

it is alot better for sure after the reg fix and not choppy laggy

I didn't want to try the first one, I'd rather play full screen, but I just cannot find anything named WineD3D in my computer, I swear.

I also don't know how the hell to play it windowed. I can't select it on the launcher and I have no idea what other way to do it.

Also my problem is really only when war happens. That's when the game crashes. Is that a known bug or something?

Nevermind all of the above. Vanilla works just fine, but I was trying to play Kaiserreich, which is what is borked. Any tips about that?

Last edited:
Good news is the game continues to run through war declarations.

Bad news is the screen flinches when a notification pops up from any other program I'm running. That's no big deal, ut what's hard o live with is the impossibility to deploy troops, for whatever reason.

So I used Zheng's fix, the lag is gone but the screen occasionally flickers. Anyone know of a way to fix it? It's not *that* bad..but it would be nice to somehow get rid of it.

Windows 10 user here who can't get the game to load at all, tried all of the fixes and have been doing so for weeks in the hopes to make something work as this is my favourite game. I load up through the exe. and it goes to a white screen until crashing, happens every time regardless of what I do

Windows 10 user here who can't get the game to load at all, tried all of the fixes and have been doing so for weeks in the hopes to make something work as this is my favourite game. I load up through the exe. and it goes to a white screen until crashing, happens every time regardless of what I do
The same happens to me (I use w10)

Last edited:
I'm getting problems from Windows 10 also (Win 7 worked perfectly), when first started resolution seems to be messed up and doesn't load properly plus game somehow ends up in lower right corner with part of the interface being unavailable:
mess.jpg

Doing regedit method (other made things even worse) solves resolution problems and game is back to 1920x1080 and in upper left corner BUT parts of the screens at bottom and right are missing and showing desktop instead also it is impossible to scroll down (and again part of UI is unavailable).
missing.jpg

But at lest in game screenshot with F11 works fine. :D
ScreenSave0.jpg

Attempting to use windowed results in a crash:
DirectDraw object created
About to Initialize video!

Setting Mode.
Mode Set.
Unknown RGBFormat = 32 ,r=16711680 g=65280 b=255
Failed to initialize video.

I did manage to make game run windowed in low resolution but that is hardly playable. :(

Try my fix

Try my fix

That was the first thing I did, Windows refused to even start it before I've installed Direct Play crashing DH immediately.