• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Marcus Arrius

Senator Serapis, how can you question the wisdom of our actions in the last Session? Yes, our economy still needs aid, but it is our navy, along with the military, that saw the Xenoi's hold on Europe weakened! Do you mean to tell me any price is too great for what we achieved? I will not say we were wrong then; to do so would be an insult to the lives we have saved. The Megas Droungarios has provided us with even more evidence that we must fund this expedition, which means a war with Pisa is necessary. We cannot remain ignorant of the Far East! Our ignorance of the Far West left us unprepared for the Xenoi centuries ago. Show me, ,show our guest, show the holy Augustus himself that we Senators will do what we must for the Imperium!

Senator Decius Pylaeus

"I beg to differ and I even insist on making a clear difference here - I will not let you insult the name of my family and of the other senators that righteously knew what was best for the Imperium, while your ideas brought little value and overwhelming disadvantages to all of us. This pretentiousness is unbearable! The villain tries to disguise himself as one of the victims? Unbelievable! If you have at least something like a sense of honour in your body you should stand by your decisions and admit being wrong instead of crying like a child.

Moving on to another topic, I'd like to hear answers to the questions of senator Serapis as well."
Senator Alexandros Raoul :

"No Blues or Reds were executed for having embezzled funds from the Aerium unlike the Whites. Talking of honor when you defend such a faction is ridiculous Senator Pylaeus."

{{ Raoul would have loved to continue shooting his honor but well I'm not likely to answera ny attacks before the voting starts so defend me Blues :p }}

Senator Decius Pylaeus

"You cannot be serious - you are judging a demes by deceased members? Even after all the proven changes that more than rehabilitated the noble white demes? According to your logic, our honorable senator Azizid would have to be held accountable for the crimes of his ancestors in spite of all the good deeds he has done for the Imperium!

I think I see it now, trying to make you see the light cannot possibly bear any fruits. So this is what Junius meant when he told me of the blues. I understand.

One last thing: It is called the aerarium, nothing else."

{{Can anyone help me? Which one of the old whites got killed for embezzlement? I was not a part of the senate back then, so I didn't follow everything as carefully...}}

Senator Herakleios IV Salamis:
*The doors opened with a rough swipe and Senator Salamis entered the room, wearing a naval officer's uniform and panting heavily. He had a sword- which seemed odd for a man coming to a Senate session- which he put besides the guards near the door when he entered. The sword was noticeably bloody...*
My fellow Senators! As you can see, I am a bit late... perhaps too late to participate. I'm deeply sorry- as you know, my predecessors were very active, and I intended to be the same, however... *he eyed the bloody sword* some, um, family bussiness kept me busy. Ah, Senator Azizid, my friend, I see that you're here- good, good. I hope you haven't got yourself burned yet, yes? *he laughed*
Now, if you'll excuse me, esteemed Senators, I'm exhausted and cannot debate- I'll need someone to give me a full report of what happened.*He looked at the eunuchs with a meaningful look.*

{{It made sense for me that Herakleios is in friendly terms with Bubba- I established house Salamis as (secretly) extremly tolerant towards Mongols, Jews etc.
Also, he didn't got himself burned, right? I still didn't read everything :p}}

Last edited:
{{btw, I was just looking for the whole purple-capital-offense-rule (with no success), but I found this: "5. Creating characters of Aztec or Mongol origin is forbidden." Do you want to change that @CzokletMuss or are the Azizids a special one time deal?}}

{{btw, I was just looking for the whole purple-capital-offense-rule (with no success), but I found this: "5. Creating characters of Aztec or Mongol origin is forbidden." Do you want to change that @CzokletMuss or are the Azizids a special one time deal?}}
{{I know, I made an exception and it was a good decision. No xenoi will ever be allowed though.}}

"No Blues or Reds were executed for having embezzled funds from the Aerium unlike the Whites. Talking of honor when you defend such a faction is ridiculous Senator Pylaeus."

Senator Iskander Ouranos

A lesser man would have acted in outrage at his family's pride being spat on like that. But I will not stoop as low as you Senator Raoul, for the actions of my kinsman are in the past and will remain so. My family has loyally served the Emperor for centuries and what my ancestor has done is unforgivable, that much is certain.
However I will not have you trying to sow the seeds of discord between the Demes when we need to be as united as ever. The Imperium needs us to act for its best intentions, so leave your petty rivalries behind fellow Senators and let us fight for a brighter tomorrow!

Megas Droungarios Javier Espinosa:

Question :
"Honorable guest, did the Pandadikterion advance in the creation of liquid fire? You were defending such actions the last time you came to Magnaura."
Espinosa smiles to senator Raoul.

- An excellent question, noble Senator Alexandros of the House Raoul! I fear however that this is not the best time to discuss the fabled war fire. There is no matter more important before this Senate at the moment than those concerning Serica.
Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes

"Megas Droungarious, if I may ask you some

Question: {{s}}
* What is the direct financial cost of the proposed expedition?
* Who do you propose lead the expedition?
* If you propose yourself as leader of the expedition and ambassador to Seres how will you be able to combine that with your duties as Megas Droungarious?
* Do you truly Believe a man of your character and appearance is a suitable ambassador to an Empire as great and proud as Seres surely is? I apologize if this question causes you offense, but it is most relevant.
* What is the risk of your expedition provoking hostilities from the Seroi and endanger the Imperium from another great hostile power?

- The expedition, if organized, will be led by sailors from Socotra. The legacy of Kermanoi lives with them and I doubt there are better seamen anywhere in the Imperium. I will personally ensure that the Nasrani from Ceylon join us as well, for they have best knowledge of the seas surrounding the island and Hindustan. As for your other questions, White Speaker...

Espinosa scratches his head before answering.

- It was not my pride which put me in the position of the representative of the Throne before the ruler of Zhongguo, whether you believe in this or not. It was His Imperial Majesty who deemed me worthy of his trust – and who am I to question judgement of the sacred Emperor? Yes, the journey will last few years probably, but we will not set sails tomorrow, my friend. Before I leave Konstantinoupolis carrying gifts for the ruler of Serikoi we need to know how to get there. This means charting the seas between Ceylon and this distant lands and no man can tell how long will it take. So I believe it would be at least several years before I will be sent there by the blessed Autokrator. As for my duties as Megas Droungarios... Espinosa winks - I'm just a humble servant of the Throne. Who is more suited to represent His Imperial Majesty in your opinion, I don't know. But who can carry out this task without neglecting matters fundamental for the Imperium? Megas Logothetes? Perhaps – he's primus inter pares of the members of the Imperial Council and it was Megas Logothetes who in the name of the Emperor negotiated peace with the Westerners. I fear however that the current state of adminstrative and economical affairs is such that it doesn't allow Hix Excellency to leave the Imperium. Megas Domestikos? Surely, without a doubt he's a capable man who enjoys trust of His Imperial Majesty. But is sending the commander of the Imperial Army to such perilous and long journey wise? Not to mention the diplomatic repercussions of sending the first soldier of the Imperium to Serica.

Espinosa smiles again.

- I fear the Throne can't afford to offend ruler of Zhongguo, nor can it allow for Megas Logothetes to leave imperial administration unattended in this very moment. Megas Droungarios, on the other hand, is in charge of the Imperial Navy, which you yourself called „unimportant” if I remember correctly - He raises a chalice to senator Raoul - Let then this unimportant servant of the Throne carry out his duty, as he was ordered to by His Imperial Majesty.

{{Cost for explorer will be more or less the same as the last time: }}

Code:
    option = {
        add_dip_power = -200
        add_years_of_income = -0.5
        define_explorer = {
            name = "Iebediah Kermanos"
            fire = 0
            shock = 0
            siege = 0
            manuever = 1
        }
        light_ship = 365
        light_ship = 365
        light_ship = 365
    }

Senator Decius Pylaeus

Discussions arise in the white demes after the questions were answered.

"Alexios, that's almost a thousand basilikoi! Another 10% on top of our debt - it is insane. What's more, the blessed autokrator can only send HIM out of the three closest advisors, because, as the Megas Droungarious mentioned himself, the other two are actually important for the Imperium. What would the ruler of Serica think if a figure like HIM represents us? We should try our utmost to stop this madness - even war against the Pisans while facing internal instability and/or rebellions is not as much of a burden!"

President of the Senate Nikephoros Dalassenos:

Nikephoros gives a sign to eagle-bearer, who strikes the floor with iron ending of the Fasces.

- Senators, the sun will set soon. It is time to decide which of the policies proposed by you shall be put to a vote.

He takes quill pen and, dipping it in the ink, prepares himself to write on vellum.

{{ So far he have three proposals:

• ”Imperial Renewal” proposed by senator Petrus Taurinus in the name of the Red Demes (-10% maintenance, +10% manpower)
  • ”Lex Negotiatores Armorum” proposed by senator Marcus Arrius in the name of the Blue Demes (+10% trade efficiency, -10% interest to loans)
  • ”Lex Oeconomica Renascentia” proposed by senator Alexios Serapis in the name of the White Demes (+10 Production, -10% land maintanance)

No proposal gained necessarry support (2 Speakers) to be put to a vote. Therefore – assuming this won't change before 23:00 – there will be no voting on Senate Policy.

And BTW all three proposals are not precise enough - AFAIK there is no such thing as "-10% interest" nor "+10 Production". Please use the list from wikipedia, you may copy the names of each modifier from there to avoid any misunderstanding.}}

Senator Alexios Serapis

"An Unimportant yet vital mission, it seems. How puzzling. You claim to be important enough not to offend, but not so indispensable you will be missed. Your humility does you credit, Megas Droungarious.
Still I must ask:

*What experience do you have with diplomatic affairs, with Powers that are not our enemies? Are you suitable for such an important diplomatic mission?

*Can our diplomatic corps handle yet another treaty with a foreign Power? Are they not already overburdened by our Alliances and vassals closer to home?

*Why do you Believe it is vital we launch the expedition at this time, when we can clearly not afford it?

And I must repeat my most important question:

*What will this whole undertaking cost?

Senator Alexios Serapis

Senator Decius Pylaeus

Discussions arise in the white demes after the questions were answered.

"Alexios, that's almost a thousand basilikoi! Another 10% on top of our debt - it is insane. What's more, the blessed autokrator can only send HIM out of the three closest advisors, because, as the Megas Droungarious mentioned himself, the other two are actually important for the Imperium. What would the ruler of Serica think if a figure like HIM represents us? We should try our utmost to stop this madness - even war against the Pisans while facing internal instability and/or rebellions is not as much of a burden!"

{{I didn't see that}}

"Indeed, my friend. That is a sum we cannot possibly pay." He shakes his head sadly.

"Senator Taurinus, please, I implore you. For the sake of the Imperium and the dignity of the Senate support Lex Oeconomica Renascentia, that represents the interests of both our Demes. The time for talk is almost over, we need to reach an agreement soon, and I am willing to compromise over Pisa, if it is a war you wish.
But if we fail, yet again, to make policy in the Senate we endanger the Imperium and show once and for all the uselessness of the Senate. Why should the Emperor listen to us when we cannot reach even the most critical agreement in the most vital of matters amongst ourselves, when we are even in agreement about the problem we face?"

Last edited:
Senator Marcus Arrius

Senator Serapis, Senator Taurinus. We must reach an agreement now. I have made my offer.

{{ Oh dear I may have made a problem, simply put the policy that Taurinus proposed is a renewal of a policy in effect, the one with quantity and administration I think. He must of thought it was relation to the senate policy which will be modded in, unlike the current policy in effect that needs to be renewed, I think (I may have forgotten the details with this one) ? I would like to apologize for making things unclear I hope that Ponce comes back and also hope that I didn't just sink the entire ship of the Imperium. P.S. if you read this Ponce make it clear to support one of the policy of the others and to renew the current policy.}}

Senator Maximos Wedrovander:
*Oh dear I may have just made a mistake in explanation that may cost us even more Maximos thinks*
Petrus I may have steered slightly untrue there are multiple policies that are under discussion and that we we to renew ours and align with another faction. My earlier suggestion seems to be not quite necessary any longer but I hope that we can find common ground at this time. As for the other consultations I for am going to be against them for they will only put us at greater risk at a time of standing on the abyss's cusp into a great chaos that is becoming more and more clear that is coming.

{{Perhaps Senator Wedrovander, or another Red Senator, could act as an interrim Speaker for the Reds until Taurinus returns?
I know I was happy that ThetrueColt took over my duties when I couldn't be here.}}

"Senator Arrius, in case our time almost runs out before Taurinus speaks perhaps we could propose a joint policy to support Production and Trade? We have calculated that an increase in production would bring us more than a reduction in interests, not to mention lower interests would only encourage more loans."

Last edited:
Senator Aetius Scipion:

Have I heard correctly? Are you saying that the most of the heretics are in the red demes because the two unpleasant cases happened in the Senate?

You, the Blue demes, when have you done anything thinking in the Imperium and not in your own interest? You talk about your contribution to the fleet...which defend your trade. You talk about trade and their profits for the Aerarium...but the truth is that production and taxes are holding the weight of the State. And you talk about exploring...but just thinking on acquiring new lands and riches for you and your Houses.

And you Whites? Do you think that you are better than Blues? Your parents talked a lot about demons and unfaithful, but they never did anything to prevent blasphemy or combat heathens in our lands. Just look the current state of our Empire or the rebellions of some decades ago. And you, the "new" whites, you are no more than a joke of yourself. You talk about heathens and greed and the dangers of foreigners...but two minutes ago you were totally will to pact with the "greed merchants". And your "worries" for the current state of our economy and your definition of your demes as the "experts" on administration and finances, JA!!! Your great skills have not avoided current crisis and your solutions consists on not spending money on anything, reducing the fleet, reducing the Army...the Army who protect you and your richness. Who defend the faith!!! In other words, you just blame others for your own ineptitude and totally lack any inkling of modesty.

It is truth, I won´t refuse it, that two of the members of the red demes, in ONE HUNDRED YEARS, have been accused of heresy in the Senate. I will remind you the wish words of a German soldier who expend some years with me when I was fighting the Mongols in the steppes: "Those who fight against monsters must take care of turning on monsters themselves. When you look too long to the abyss, the abyss also looks into you".

We the red, all and every one of us, have fought the enemies of the Imperium in every front. We have fought the Timurids in the East. We have fought the mongols in the steppes and recovered the lands of Taurica. We have fought the Xenois in Africa, Hispania, Galia, Italia...in every front they appeared, even if it is the same Queen of cities. And we will fight the f***ing Pisans to remember them what happens when you defy the will of the apostle of God in the Earth and regent of the Only and Christian Empire!!!

We are the defenders of the Empire, we have bleed in every corner of the Empire defending it. And we will not tolerate that other demes, who never have known the miseries of hunger and fear engaging the enemies in the battlefield, to insult us in this Sacred Place!!!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good to (finally) see you Senator Taurinus. Please, show this greedy plebeians how real Romans act on behalf of the Empire when there is a crisis!!

Reactions:
{{
And BTW all three proposals are not precise enough - AFAIK there is no such thing as "-10% interest" nor "+10 Production". Please use the list from wikipedia, you may copy the names of each modifier from there to avoid any misunderstanding.

@Serpent to officially rephrase the policy in the correct way please use the terms of the image or the image itself:
policyfdzgw.jpg
}}

Reactions:
{{ Oh dear I may have made a problem, simply put the policy that Taurinus proposed is a renewal of a policy in effect, the one with quantity and administration I think. He must of thought it was relation to the senate policy which will be modded in, unlike the current policy in effect that needs to be renewed, I think (I may have forgotten the details with this one) ? I would like to apologize for making things unclear I hope that Ponce comes back and also hope that I didn't just sink the entire ship of the Imperium. P.S. if you read this Ponce make it clear to support one of the policy of the others and to renew the current policy.}}
{{ Yes, Senate Policies are modded by me based on what you propose, while (standard) Policies are the ones from vanilla EU4. Right now "Provincial Taxation System" is the only enacted policy and you are correct, it has exactly the same effects as the one proposed by Red Demes.

Perhaps I should chose a new name for Senate Policies to avoid such problems, although "policy" is the most apropriate term IMHO.}}

Reactions:
{{

@Serpent to officially rephrase the policy in the correct way please use the terms of the image or the image itself:
policyfdzgw.jpg
}}

"To clarify.

I the name of the White Demes I hereby propose to put Lex Oeconomica Renascentia under vote as a Senate Policy:
* Production Efficency: +10%
* Land Maintenance Modifier: -10%

I urge the Senate, and in particular the leader of the Red Demes Senator Taurinus, to support this vital policy and take a small but important step back from the brink of ruin.

{{Ugh, I'm really bad at observing the formalities, it seems. Thanks Colt :)}}

*Alexios merely shakes his head at Senator Scipions nonsensical tirade, hoping cooler heads prevail in the Red Demes.*

Last edited:
Reactions:
{{
Senator Aetius Scipion

Nice, that character is acting like a kid yelling around because no one wants to play with him. Also, thanks for the image of a Mongol-slaying Nietzsche that got stuck in my mind :p

@CzokletMuss A suggestion: Rephrasing the "special senate policies" as "consilium senatoris" to clear things up while "policies" just refers to the vanilla ones?}}

Reactions: