• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Marcus Arrius

*Marcus eyes the sword the guard is carrying. He takes a deep breath, trying to remain rational.*

Captain, ignore my fellow Senators' anger. You are not in trouble or danger.. No need for your weapon. All we seek are answers. Did this mandatary say who the letter was meant for, or who sent it to us? Have you seen this mandatary before? Surely the Captain of the Guard can remember a new face. You wouldn't deliver a note to Senators without knowing the man, yes?

Senator Diaver Kastelos:

"The Sacred Palace indeed..." Kastelos looks up to the roof, thinking. "Thank you, captain, thre is no more questions from me."

Diaver goes to Alexandros with a meditative expresion. "But now that you mention it, Raoul, yes, the Phlegeton is, as Plato describes it, a "a stream of fire, which coils round the earth and flows into the depths of Tartarus". He looks with a little smile to the floor now. "Who could have told me that what my father forced me to study at my childhood would help me once? More when we talk about the ancient and pagan greeks."

"You have made quite a good relation, Alexandros. Espinosa was searching about the original recipe of the Liquid Fire, and what we have just received was a message from the Sacred Palace itself. Its author is a "friend". What other friends do we have outside the Blue Demes? And who else has fought for our goals to reach the Emperor's ear? Espinosa." Drinks a little of wine from the cup that never left his left hand.

"Unless this is a joke or something like that, I think its obvious whats happening here, and you are right, esteemed Raoul."

The satisfaction on his face couldn't be hide. "We may have the Liquid Fire back."

Senator Marcus Arrius

*Marcus eyes the sword the guard is carrying. He takes a deep breath, trying to remain rational.*

Captain, ignore my fellow Senators' anger. You are not in trouble or danger.. No need for your weapon. All we seek are answers. Did this mandatary say who the letter was meant for, or who sent it to us? Have you seen this mandatary before? Surely the Captain of the Guard can remember a new face. You wouldn't deliver a note to Senators without knowing the man, yes?
The captain looks down at Senator Arrius.

CAPTAIN: Thank you for your concern, honorable Senator, but it's unnecessary. It is my duty to protect you from harm. *he pats the grip of his sword* The Queen of Cities is a dangerous place, my lord, especially after the assassination attempt on His Imperial Majesty - but I promise you that nobody shall enter through this door without your permission. As for the messenger... There must be hundreds of them in the Palace, my lord. I can't say the face of this mandator was familiar to me. But he was wearing the eunuch robe and had the wand of mandator... *he turns toward the rest of the Blues with concern visibile on his face* Do you suspect treason, my lords? Shall I send for reinforcements? We can barricade the Balcony from the inside to stop the assailants. What are your orders?

CAPTAIN: *he turns toward the rest of the Blues with concern visibile on his face* Do you suspect treason, my lords? Shall I send for reinforcements? We can barricade the Balcony from the inside to stop the assailants. What are your orders?

{{Uhmm... yeah, we need reinforcements, like the whole army. The emperor its a dark gods worshiper, a traitor, and he calls himself King of the Romans when he is alone. We need to restore the Republic, captain. Sic semper tyrannis!}}

Reactions:
Senator Alexandros Raoul :

"I suggest to calm down for a moment. We are only 4 here with you, captain and I think you will be able to protect us efficiently. The whole affair is mysterious but we should not be afraid. If Liquid Fire has been reinvented then it is an important news that must be spread with caution." Raoul smiles to the other Senators and then goes to the table where the meals have been prepared "I'd like to taste that Gallian wine and these wonderful Palace's meals but then you can continue to fear for your lives here if you want so", with eyes filled with malice and a great smile on his face.

{{We can tell the guards to barricade our meetings? Awesome!}}
{{Are you sure this is something to be glad about? :p }}

{{Uhmm... yeah, we need reinforcements, like the whole army. The emperor its a dark gods worshiper, a traitor, and he calls himself King of the Romans when he is alone. We need to restore the Republic, captain. Sic semper tyrannis!}}

{{It isn't March, is it?}}

Senator Marcus Arrius

Barricading us inside will not be necessary. Thank you, Captain. I only wished to be cautious.

*Marcus nods to the Captain, dismissing him. Turning his attention back to his fellow Senators, Marcus rolls his eyes at Raoul enjoying the wine and food.*

Gentlemen, we have important matters to discuss. While I cannot order to stop drinking, I do advise it. Our minds must remain sharp if we are to advise the Augustus. If this letter truly pertains to Liquid Fire and it is not just a ruse to distract us, this is a joyous day. Still, we have much to discuss. We have not even mentioned the proposal of the diplomatic mission to Serica. As I'm sure you can guess, I am for this proposal. Beyond that, we remain divided on what to do with Pisa.

Senator Alexandros Raoul

Alexandros has taken a little cup fillled with the finest wine of Bordeaux and comes back to the circle of Senators "I talked about Serica already, Senator Arrius but you seem to not have heard me. Anyway it is our duty to support such expeditions our grandfathers dreamt of. Riches, new souls to save, all these are to be found abroad!" His mood changes and he takes a deeply concerned face "Pisa must be broken. You said that they could help us and that we should welcome them as allies but I don't think it's possible. They profess the same faith as we do but every other aspect of their mentality is alien and preverted. i'd prefer to support the petty ambitions of the Briton kings rather than accepting a deal with the merchants who sold good Christians to the Xenoi and fought the Imperium when it was under other threats. It is a matter of honor for the Imperium for if we bow to such undignity what difference will there be in the end from our enemies ? That is what I believe gentlemen and I shall profess it in the Senate as well." He then sits back in his siege waiting to hear the thoughts of the other Blues.

Senator Diaver Kastelos:

"While I kind of agree with the words of Senator Arrius, we have to think in the political consequences that proposing an alliance with Pisa could bring to the Blue Demes." The empty cup of wine was left on a table and, almost inmediatly, an slave took it out of there. "Other Demes use to think that we are heretics who desire gold among the greater good of the Imperium. Proposing an alliance with Pisa would not only strengthen this idea, but also put us as the enemy, making possible an internal alliance between the reds and whites."

"So" Diaver moved from a side to another, thinking. "Yes, I do find some sense on Arrius's proposal, but beign too progresive would be a danger not only for you, senator, but for the entire faction. We do not want to have Athanatoi watching every step we do."

"At this, I must say no. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure that every blue will agree with the expedition to the far east, aswell with the diplomatic mission to this colossal realm we could call Serica. The provincial taxation system seems good, something we need to improve our economy."

"But there is other topic that we must discuss here at Neptune's Balcony: Who will be the speaker of The Navigators"

"And how I'm sure you could have imagined, I propose myself to the great honor of represent all of you at the halls of Magnaura."

Senator Marcus Arrius

*Marcus signs, knowing this argument would go on for some time now.*

I would argue that we have nothing to lose by allying with Pisa if the other factions already believe we are greedy, but I will leave that matte aside for now. As for the who would lead us... Did we not decide this? I seem to recall the majority of the Blue Demes supporting my candidacy. The Augustus decided to hold off on voting for the this matter, but I had thought this was settled.

{{Twice Marcus has almost been made leader of the Blues... Anyone else remember when we voted for him before he was a Senator? :D}}

Senator Marcus Arrius

*Marcus signs, knowing this argument would go on for some time now.*

I would argue that we have nothing to lose by allying with Pisa if the other factions already believe we are greedy, but I will leave that matte aside for now. As for the who would lead us... Did we not decide this? I seem to recall the majority of the Blue Demes supporting my candidacy. The Augustus decided to hold off on voting for the this matter, but I had thought this was settled.

Senator Diaver Kastelos:

"That was twenty years ago, senator. Plenty of things have changed and happened in two decades."

{{Twice Marcus has almost been made leader of the Blues... Anyone else remember when we voted for him before he was a Senator? :D}}

{{ You destroyed your chances with the letter ... :p }}

Reactions:
{{There was a four hour gap in between him posting about the letter and my response. You all had your chance.:cool:}}

Senator Marcus Arrius

I can understand that time changes things. Raoul, do you wish to put your name forward as well?

Last edited:
{{There was a four hour gap in between him posting about the letter and my response. You all had your chance.:cool:}}

{{ I did not touch it knowing it will cause problems ...}}

"So it begins"
Alexandria watches the two "contenders" with a cynical expression
"May I point to you that many Blues are missing ? A bit early to argue about this"

Senator Marcus Arrius

I tried to delay this topic. It is understood that none of us will oppose the diplomatic mission or the expedition. We differ on Pisa. We cannot wait for the Blue Demes who seem indifferent to what happens here, though I do want to hear their opinion on this letter from our unknown... ally, and where they stand on Pisa.

Senator Diaver Kastelos:

"Yes, it is, Raoul" Responds to Alexandros. "But that didn't stop Arrius to open the letter that should have been read when many more senators of our faction could be present"

"Anyway, this is a debate that will be prolonged until we make a decision. I made my position clear about those policies, now we just have to wait for more of our senators to come." He sits and takes other cup of wine.

{{You know, if the last President of the Senate was also the last Komnenoi, does that mean the family is extinct?}}