• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes

"I agree, Senator di Capponi deserves the right to speak of his vision for the future of our Demes, but it would be in poor political spirit if he were the only candidate. Though the position of Demes speaker carries little real power it can still be significant as a political signal. It shows the Senate how we as a Demes wish to represent ourselves.

While either you, Senator Pylaeus, or you Senator Melissenos would make an excellent speaker age or technicalities seem to limit you. I must therefore announce my candidacy. And my stance hasn't changed. What we struggled for in the last session of the Senate is now more important than ever. The Economical reform is essential to stop the decay of the Imperium, I believe we can all agree on that.

As for other reforms or proposals, it is now too early to say. We don't yet know why the Senate has been called, so we can't yet know how to position ourselves. I believe we should examine all options as objectively as possible and reach a conclusion based on a respectful dialogue. That is how I intend to lead the Demes if I am elected."

{{And the minimum age is 35. How old is Capponi? Where can we find the biographies of the current Senators? }}

Last edited:
Senator Marcello Giovanni di Capponi:

*Marcello Giovanni acknowledges the comments of Alexios Serapis, but says nothing, preferring a smile as real as the Imperium's profit margin before walking to the center of the room*

My ideas for the Imperium? For the White Demes? For a Capponi Candidacy? I foremost believe, as any member of this deme that the Imperatore de tutte terre is right in his judgements. That is why I believe the White Demes must be the votes on which the Emperor can , trust, count, and rely on. Amendments should be made with the aim to weaken and reduce the potential influence of the Reds and Blues, without disrupting the original prerogatives of the Imperator. Though I am accused by many as a blue fish in white wool, I am distrustful of some of the push for exploration by the Reds and Blues. These massive exploits of imperial funds merely fall into Blue hands as more and more trade routes. Pagan trade routes, fall to the dynatoi. The Reds seek to take the war to the Xenoi themselves, and act I believe impossible. Ancient texts mention rumors of the Xenoi fighting a Sun-Emperor in the mountains with thunder-sticks. From this alone, we can assume that the Xenoi live in a mountainous, godless, land. The logistical nightmare of fighting them across a sea of unknown size, with them holed up in their dark fortresses is preposterous, when we can barely defeat them in our own homelands!

What more, the Imperium's economy is in shambles. But it is a necessary evil. The debts do not matter, if I were the Imperator, I would simply tell the creditors that it is their loan-- no DONATION that is keeping their hearts in their chests and not in an obsidian altar! What needs attention is the current inflation, of which serious attention must be paid to reduce and combat this whenever and however possible.

Lastly, I assure my fellow members that I shall not share the, harshness of my late Uncle Ferruccio when campaigning in the Senate halls. He was too eager bring the name Capponi to the ears and mouths of this city, however righteous he may be in his goals.

*di Capponi prepares to return to his seat, but suddenly turns around and shouts*

That is why I am the best man to lead the White Demes, and so, Alexios Serapis, may the best man win.

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos

*Titos leans back in his seat, watching di Capponi with a skeptical look and grinding his teeth. Withing a few sentences the young man has made Titos change his opinion radical: This upstart lunatic is speaking for the White Demes only over his dead body. As he speaks, his voice is cold and biting.*

I think we should over think di Capponis candidature since he is obvious an follower of the fanaticism we thought overcome. If we only follow the words of the Emperor to the point, he would have no need for us. We are no bunch of yes-men. The roman empire of old had an very wise motto we should take to heart more often and with that you as an italian should be acquainted: Senatus Populusque Romanus – the Senate and the People of Rome. Don't get me wrong, we should not get in total opposition to the Basileius, but we should remember that our thoughts should apply to the Empire as whole and the Emperor in all his wisdom which he has proven, is not infallible.

Also, I think some of your “solutions” are a bit to easy. Just tell the creditors to write of their loans to the empire? Well, you can do that once, certainly. Just make sure, the empire doesn't need money ever again, because no one will lend it more in the future. And spare me the accusation that I only say that because I'm one of the many who have a share in this depts. I have and I think about that but that doesn't make the argument invalid.

Alexios looks appalled

"The debts do not matter? The Imperium should refuse to pay its creditors and declare bankruptcy, proclaiming to the whole world that the Emperor's word is as empty as a Pisan's honour? And then what? How would we secure new loans that the Imperium will doubtless need when the Blues or Reds eventually take over the Senate again? Should we simply expropriate whatever the Imperium needs, destroying all commerce and reducing the law to enforcing the basest kind of primitive tyranny? No. The cure you propose is worse than the disease, and it would ruin many houses in the Senate that could otherwise be won over to our side. The Empire can repay it's debts honourably, if we simply reform the Economy and refrain from unnecessary expenses."

"My friends, look at the choice you have. Di Capponi's proposal can not pass in the Senate, but putting it forwards would make the White Demes once again the laughing stock of the Imperium. We would, no matter what else we worked for, once again be called madmen and fanatics. The last session of the Senate I was the only Senator who declared for the White when the session opened. I would not see us reduced to such weakness again."

*Suddenly, the doors of the Atrium blow open, as a gust of wind extinguishes the incense candles adorning the entrance*

*A figure, cloaked by his robes and the sudden darkness, enters. He throws off his hood and exposes the high, arching nose of a Colombo.*

*He chuckles*

Christoforo never told you the truth about my family, did he? He liked to pretend we didn't exist, that my great grandfather was assasinated before he had children. Despite our similarities, Andrea and his descendants never forgave us, just as we never forgave ourselves. My family now devotes itself to the saving of souls, not the saving of money.

My name is Giovanni Colombo.

{{Giovanni Colombo is the great grandson of Pietro Colombo, the 'failure' who lost control over Genoa and was assassinated. His side of the family has struggled far more than Andrea's did, but now they have reasserted themselves enough to claim the vacant seat that Christoforo left. After some soul searching, the family has used the remnants of their fortune to set up a missionary organization in Iberia and Francia. They are strong believers that the souls of those converted during the invasion can be saved, and are trying to find out whether the souls of Xenoi proper can be saved. Exactly how they are conducting these experiments is unknown, but rumored to be darker than what the organization puts forth in its missives. The Colombos vote white, but they are progressive in their religiosity. They are basically Jesuits, for lack of a better comparison.}}

Senator Giovanni Colombo:

This bickering is distasteful and unbecoming of the White Demes. You all vie for the petty amount of power that would be granted to you, but care nothing for the power of faith, it would seem. Centralized power, especially in the realm of religion, can only lead to egoism and corruption. Just look at the failures of the Pope, who believed himself to be the supreme ruler of all Christians! The White Demes do not need a leader outside of God. Any leader of the White Demes will fall to his vices when handed the insignia. As such, I veto any member's attempt to become leader of the White Demes until this pettiness stops.

You talk so much of debts to bankers and merchants, Senators. But you do not talk of repaying the most important debt, which is to God. It is well and good to take responsibility for the administration that the Reds and Blues have forgotten, but we must not forget our mandate to promote the church. The weakening of the church's power in recent years has been worrying. I realize the dire financial straights that led to this decision, but the taxing of church lands weakens the ability of the church to fight heresy and convert the lost souls in both the east and the west. We must fight this erosion of church power!

We must remember this above all:

God over Gold.

*Suddenly, the doors of the Atrium blow open, as a gust of wind extinguishes the incense candles adorning the entrance*

*A figure, cloaked by his robes and the sudden darkness, enters. He throws off his hood and exposes the high, arching nose of a Colombo.*

((This looks like a Venezuelan´s soap opera :D:D:D))

Reactions:

White Demes. Do you really believe my \intent was to have the Emperor declare bankruptcy? To expose its underbelly to its enemies and face the horrendous consequences that follow? I merely tried to emphasize that the inflation was main concern of the Empire to be solved, as the repayment of debts are inconsequential if the Empire does not exist to pay them. With the inflation, the Imperium earns less and spends more. This is unacceptable! I at the same time assure my fellow members of the demes that I also do not want to become yes-men to the Imperator. Does that not go against everything a Capponi stands for? Is a sycophantism truly what you expect to see from my line! I will be a slave to no man! Recent senate sessions have had too few votes to make any change, and the Imperator gained full control of legislation. By working with not against Emperor, we can amend bills in ways to benefit us. I will not turn the White Demes into yes-men, but I will make us into a faction willing to temper our own interests for the good of the Imperium. I will not turn the White Demes into paupers or loan sharks, for dark forces threaten to make the repayment of debts irrelevant. I am arguing for war against the Xenoi through internal strength. Yes-men rule in the courts of the Flayed-gods, but bickerers and self-seekers owned the courts of the Holy Roman Empire. I do not intend to speak as the White Demes, I intend to speak alongside the white demes!

*Marcello walks back to his seat, physically exhausted but still confident before stopping at Giovanni. Mildly irked at the success of his entrance, he suppresses it and speaks earnestly with the Colomban senator.*

Greetings esteemed Senator, my Uncle spoke highly of your line. I do look forward to working with you, and the rest of the White Demes should I attain your support.

*Titos doesn't look very impressed by Giovannis entrance.*

You are late, Senator Colombo. Also, you have a dramatic talent that would be fitting some of the greatest stages of ancient theater. And to close this off: You recognize that you take part in this despised bickering since you came through that door?
It doesn't matter to me. I support Senator Serapis as leader of the Whites.

((This looks like a Venezuelan´s soap opera :D:D:D))

{{:D
"Senor Colombo! It is you, the father of my child!!" *aaah* "Yes, It is I Alexis!" *takes off hat and shakes out long hair*}}

--

"Certainly we should work with the Emperor rather than oppose him, Senator di Capponi, but he's hardly inclined to negotiate with us lowly Senators. I am pleased you would not blindly follow his lead, and neglect our duties to advice and guide him. Perhaps your proposal seemed more radical than you intended, but you seem rather too likely to make such grand proclamations. Such a voice should be heard, and I share your dedication to building our internal strength, but perhaps your fervour would better represent yourself than the White Demes."

Alexios looks startled at Colombo's abrupt entrance, but swiftly recovers. Turning away from Di Capponi he addresses the new arrival.

"Ah, Giovanni Colombo! Senator Giovanni Colombo, I should say. This is quite the surprise, though I am glad Colombo still stands with the White. Your predecessor was the first to join me in rebuilding our Demes." *he takes a sip of wine* I admire your family's work, though some would call it heretical. Have you gained some new insights from your Xenoi soul-searching?"

"You accuse me, and Senator di Capponi, of bickering and grasping for power. But, as you said, it is a petty amount of power, and whatever honour it can gain us depends on the actions of others. There is no profit in it, no possibility of corruption. We simply wish to help the Demes guide the Imperium in the right direction, though we may differ in what that direction may be. And since we differ it is better to iron out our differences here in private than expose our division in session before the entire senate, because our mission is essential and we must not fail."

"You speak of the confiscation of Church lands, and that too troubles me deeply. It would not have happened with the White Demes in power. The Blues will take every possible step to weaken us and the institutions we support, ruining the Imperium in their lust for power. They even encroach on the domain of the Reds by meddling in the affairs of the Army. That is simply another reason why we need to stand united and strong before the Senate. Failing to elect a leader is no way to show unity and strength."

*Titos doesn't look very impressed by Giovannis entrance.*

You are late, Senator Colombo. Also, you have a dramatic talent that would be fitting some of the greatest stages of ancient theater. And to close this off: You recognize that you take part in this despised bickering since you came through that door?
It doesn't matter to me. I support Senator Serapis as leader of the Whites.

Alexios smiles at the venerable Senator
"Thank you, Senator Melissenos. I will do all I can to serve the interests of our Demes, should the others share your confidence in me."
"Once this debate is over perhaps we can discuss some business between our Houses. There are some family affairs I need to put to order."

Last edited:
Senator Decius Pylaeus

*A dramatic entrance by a Colombo? Decius is instantly reminded of the story Junius loved to tell about Christoforo Colombo.*

"Senator Colombo! It is always great to see another addition to our most pious and esteemed demes - even if the newcomer is unanounced and unexpected. Welcome to our most rational and sophisticated debate!

We do not bicker for power, we do not desire fame, we are merely humble servants of the faith - I believe almost everyone gathered here takes this for granted."
*Decius pauses to give Senator di Capponi a puzzled look*
"Faith and religion are fields of expertise to us white senators, so it is only natural for us to talk about them, especially now.
What we actually do right now is to hold a discussion about the best way to act as a demes to the benefit of the Imperium and I am sure you will come to understand that and reconsider your veto in no time.

The points you mentioned are true. You obviously cannot know, but in the beginning of the meeting I already expressed my concerns about the hits our holy church had to take to keep the Imperium's economy going. The grim reality displays that we need to fix the errors of the blues and most of the reds by saving the Imperium's economy first and strengthening the standing of the church as a secondary objective in the following session.

Another important issure I'd like to address is acting against the blues demes. From a personal point of view, I desire voyages beyond the known realm to acquire more knowledge for the sake of the Imperium. However, supporting the blues proved fatal to the Imperium and I think we have to do everything we can to prevent the blues from gaining ANY advantage concerning politics for a while. What are your thoughts on this, my friends?

As far as the election of the faction speaker is concerned, I shall give my support to Senator Serapis, because I fear that Senator di Capponi might stand out too much as an individual and too little as the headman of the whites. I believe that we can count on your support as well, Senator di Capponi, for a truly great man sees what is best not only for him, but for his like-minded colleagues as well."

{{and I thought the whites would be able to act as a calm, reasonable, unified demes. Colombo and di Capponi will spice things up for sure :) }}

While my family has always supported religious matters and I myself have financed the restoration of several churches and monasteries, I don't think that religion should be our furthermost concern at the moment. While these matters have fallen behind on the senate floor, I think the faith is strong in the people of the empire. I admit I may be wrong, but still I think that we should put the economy first.
On the exploration I think it should continue, even if it is a pet project of the blues. We have learned a lot, even found brothers and sisters in the faith – although of a different denomination. Who knows what else lies out here? But while we have looked far abroad already we maybe should now concentrate a bit on nearer coast, I'm thinking of Africa.
But in a broader sense I agree to a certain degree with Senator Pylaeus: The blues – and also the reds – must be contained a bit. That be said, I don't think that will be easy. Certainly impossible to take on both. So we need on the one hand sway many of the unaffiliated to our cause and also probably make trades and pacts with members of the other Demes. The last session saw several Senators switch sides, so that is definitely not impossible.

{{I also thought so. That and that the whites would shift their focus on economic matters. But now things a stirred up, which is definetly nice too. And I also love how everyone is totaly ignoring Colombos veto-talks. :D }}

My name is Giovanni Colombo.
{{ Ahem, you haven't sent me this character which means it was not approved, which means that you are role-playing without approval. Which is bad and according to the rules I should ban you from the next Session. But that would be rather unfortunate, so please just sent me your character so that I can approve it. In the meantime please abstain from posting however.

I don't want to be an ass but the rules (although currently under revision) have to be respected or all this will quickly turn into chaotic mess. And I don't want no Chaos in this thread!}}

Last edited:
Reactions:

"Thank you Senator Pylaeus, you speak wisely. Unity is the only way we can achieve our common goals in service to the Imperium. Surely, Senator di Capponi, you can see that truth as well."
"I have nothing against exploration, as such. My concern is the cost. If the expeditions can continue on their own expense that is all very well. Knowledge, in the right hands, is a valuable tool. But knowledge about foreign nations we can not afford to engage with meaningfully in either diplomacy or war is of very limited use to us now when our attention must be directed closer to home. Whatever else we may find the Xenoi, Timurids and the Horde will still be our main concerns, behind only our domestic stability and unity of faith. Modest colonization and minor wars for easy gains could be useful, certainly. But no extravagances."

"The White Demes have long tried to elevate the faith to the highest concern of the State. The last time they tried it ended in spectacular failure. It troubles me to say it but I believe that if we try again we will fail again. The need for Economic reforms should be obvious to us all, but we have not yet faced the crisis of faith that would prod the Senators into realising the importance of Religion. We should not attempt what we can not accomplish. Not when the threat to the Economy is so very real, and our faith is undeniable."

"Should we weaken the Blues? Perhaps. But I think they have weakened themselves with their wastefulness. The Reds enjoy a greater support in the Senate and, because of the successes of the armies have a far better position to threaten us. I will wait to make my judgement until others have said their piece, but much will depend on the motions put before the Senate."

Last edited:
{{I begin to suspect that the Senate is merely the Angeloi version of television...}}

{{I begin to suspect that the Senate is merely the Angeloi version of television...}}
{{ Maybe we are all part of the Imperial dramatic society without knowing it. We merely entertain the Emperor and our decisions have no weight whatsoever on the path of the Imperium :eek:
The Truman Show : Imperial Purple edition
}}

Reactions:
Senator Decius Pylaeus

"The urgency of economic reforms appears to be something we all agree on, so that it can be the only choice for our most important and immediate goal.
The secondary focus on church matters should only be pursued once the primary goal has been achieved.
To elaborate a little more on the matter of the blues: It is my current opinion that the blues clearly are the least useful and least important faction of the senate. In contrary, the reds can actually contribute significantly to the sake of the Imperium. I do not want to say that we fight with the other demes for power, we should merely do what is best for Rome. If we can take the reds to our side on economic reforms it might be used to remind the blues of their place at the same time (that would be rock bottom of the senate).

If you think tblocking more colonization efforts does not hinder our more pressing goals, then I will not stand against the will of the demes. Keep in mind that there are only two unaffiliated senators at the moment, so there is limited support to be gained from them at best."

You speak of this position as one without corruption, but none other than Domenico Colombo and Imperial agent Theodoros Laskaris cited various scandals of corruption among the White Demes. Clearly then, this position can be abused. And choosing a proper speaker is of the utmost importance. Alas though, the writing is on the wall. I withdraw my candidacy from the office of Speaker for White Demes, as opposition is high. Gaius Marius himself faced grave struggles against the entrenched elite, as it is never easy to see the rise of a Novus homo. Heracles, Odysseus, Saint Markos all faced their trials and struggles on their rise to glory. So shall I. Regardless, it seems my hand is forced. I reluctantly, and against my best interest support Alexios Serapis as Speaker for the White Demes. Now with that qualm out of the way, we can better plan our tactics for the Senate meeting. If I am to lose, then at least let my faction win!

*di Capponni, now both exhausted and defeated, returns to his seat*

Senator Decius Pylaeus

"Your wise words prove that you are a greater man than some may expect at first glance, Senator di Capponi. Your ability to compromise will not be forgotten in these esteemed halls.
Even so, citing a heretic that mysteriously avoided being burned at the stake is a little controversial."

{{ I beg your forgiveness, @Enlil, but my character could just not agree to the way you presented yours. We shall see if this will change in the future, prince of heresy. For the glory of Pi
"This is Madness"
pis209yjyb.jpg
}}

Last edited:

"Thank you Senator di Capponi, for your humility." he smiles in genuine relief. "You certainly are in good company. No man can reach greatness without first struggling with adversity. Indeed, now our work can truly begin."

He takes a seat and orders the slaves to fetch some olives and wine, before answering Decius Pylaeus.
"I believe we should only block further exploration and extensive colonization as an initial stance, or if the cost would be outrageous. The final outcome can of course be negotiated, depending on the situation in the Senate and what the White Demes has to gain. We will need to be flexible to strengthen our position and, as importantly in the long term, gain more followers for our faction. If we appear too recalcitrant it will damage our image as a reasonable and moderate faction. The only thing we should not negotiate on is the need for Economic reform, if that is even an issue in the upcoming session. It is possible the Emperor has asked us here for another reason entirely than to advice him on the next great imperial Reform."
"Whatever the issue at hand will be we should communicate our opinions within the Demes before making personal commitments before the Senate, it would strengthen our negotiating position if we appear unified in the debate."

Last edited:

“Heracles, Odysseus, Saint Markos”? You sure hold yourself in very high regard, Senator di Capponi.

*Titos shows a wide, amused smile.*

But in helping us to unify us behind a leader, you show the right attitude, I appreciate and respect that.

*He nods respectfully towards di Capponi.*

Last edited: