• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, I am home from a glorious cruise to paradise in the Bahamas (prime colonizable lands for Rome).

When I checked my three hundred plus E-Mails, I found one from the OP of this epic, asking me to accept the agreed upon changes in the application.

The main change I was asked to perform was the date when an Azizid dynast claim-conquered the Patriarchiate of Antioch. The years I requested were already occupied by a critical NPC.

I need to ask, then: what years, using the lifespan of the Azizid usurper, would be appropriate for the Patriarchiate of Antioch story?

Also, could you repeat or add any other required changes? I will resubmit my application with all the changes tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions:
Senator Ulysses Aelious:
Senators I came to the glorious capital expecting a meeting with fellow competent men. Alas, this has not been the case. Instead I am stuck with children who, instead of compromise towards a common goal, simply yell at each other for compromising or not compromising with other demes! And each side is just as much as a bullheaded child as the other! We argue, we argue, and we argue! At this pace we will simply show an divided front at the Senate! The blues will have a leader and their decisions going into the session and so will the whites while we are left arguing amongst ourselves until the vote is called for! A demes divided against itself cannot stand! I care not for what decision you made last session, only for the decision that you will make in this one! Make no mistake, I am making my opinions based on today's follies, of which there are plenty, not yesterdays! So, fellow Senators, I pray that we can stop this bickering and get on to maybe making a decision about who will lead us and what we will support.

Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna:
You are either breathtakingly stupid or willfully blind to think that the recent naval victory equivalent to the past defeats, though I grow to suspect that a Wedrovander skull is thick enough to withstand even Xenoi cannon.

{{That burn.
I think the feuds we have brewing amid the Reds could outshine even the great Colombo-Moustakas feud.}}
Petrus Taurinus

*Observing the proceedings in silence Petrus writes a number of letters and instructs his most trusted aides to deliver the letters to their recipients with all haste and secrecy. *
I am honored noble senator to be in a position of your esteem to be able to help you in your difficult situation. I do believe I may have a match for this wayward child. A certain nephew of mine named Faustus, he is of some minor importance in my family so as to make a proper match for a daughter of your esteemed house, but he is without any real position of importance in our family and I think it doubtful that he will amount to anything, in short, a fine match for the...delicate, situation.

On the subject of this session, you have my utmost sympathy in your struggle to support the Imperium's army against the often wasteful and verging on mad plans of the Blues. However, for the good of the Red Demes i feel pressured to take a less confrontational course of action.
I believe I may be able to rally enough support among the faction to take leadership and try to steer the faction back to the assertive role it should be playing. I regret if I come off as self serving or spineless, but I feel that I can best support our common goals for the Reds if I take a more suble approach and try to guide the faction back towards its true goals while you continue to stand as a stalwart sentry for what the faction should stand for.
I am not asking you to bow to Scipion and the others or give up your righteous anger at their insults, but only that you remember the friendship of the House Taurinus and that our goals remain the same even if I am forced to play the game of the others for the good of the Empire.

Noble Scipion, I am pleased that your wisdom prevents you from holding grudges for our disagreements in the previous senate session. Though I do not deny that I have had my differences with you in the past, I see that the good of the faction and the Empire comes first and that you have proven your wisdom and good will for the Empire. I fear you would be unable to gain the leadership due to the current situation among the faction, and right now our faction can ill afford to be leaderless.
For this reason I would like to offer myself as a potential candidate to bring together our faction so that we may speak as a chorus of unified voices instead of a disorganized mob.

(I am beginning to suspect that you time all senatorial events at the worst times for me, Czok-o. Thank god I recovered from my fever today and not tomorrow!)

Senator Pau de Mallorca
I must agree with the esteemed Aelia--an inward rage does us more ill than good. We may be men of war, but that does not necessitate a choleric disposition. We may be more numerous than our fellow senators but our infighting renders us as two, smaller factions. As the last time we convened demonstrated, this was an ineffective strategy that played right into the hands of the Blues.

Our time is short, and we must begin preparations for the convocation of the senate itself. As such, we must nominate a speaker with great haste. To again cite our fellow Ulysses, we must assume that the Blues and Whites will arrive in an organized and well-led manner. If they do not, then our victory shall be ever the greater. The more time we waste, the weaker we shall appear. The Senator Scipia is a fine candidate for leadership, and I see no reason why he should not represent us.

As we have triumphed over the Aliae we will triumph within the Senate. The disorganization of our brethren shall be our sweetest dessert.

Furthermore, I believe that Hispania must be reconquered.

Senator Marios Batavos:

After hearing the debate so far I want to submit my candidature for faction leadership. As I have not been a very polarizing figure in politics so far I think I can be a good compromise candidate for our faction. After all: What is worse? A leader you don't fully support or no leader at all?

My plans are the following: The Imperium needs a time of rest and recovery. Wars should only be against relatively weak foes like the Pisans or smaller Indian states. These wars could give us a better strategic position or allow us to replenish our coffers. I also think that the Imperium should find out what the situation is in the far east. Knowledge is power. If there is indeed a strong empire in that region we should try to find out if they could be allies against the Timurids or Xenoi or if they will be an even greater threat to the Imperium. In that case steps will need to be taken to prevent their expansion.

Senator Maximos Wedrovander:
Thank you for your comment Pau however we have a far bigger problems than that of hoping to free more of world from the godless Xenoi. That is of a crisis that could topple the entirety of our empire and since such danger is present I shall issue a formal apology.

A Formal Apology:
By: Maximos Wedrovander
To: Aetius Scipion, Este Ravanne, ... Etc.

I, Senator of this glorious senate of the Imperium of Rome, be in distress, and will speak truthfully now so that our bonds within our brotherhood not be dissolved and left leaderless and to keep the peace amongst us issue forth this apology. I have been cantankerous, rude, and a flat out scoundrel in my dealings considering the past senate session. I, Maximos Wedrovander, will cease to be such a personage and do freely admit that the Maritime focus has not been a complete waste at all but instead is a an honorable help meet to the cause of Roma. I also recognize that the senators who voted for this honor believed that it was the best for the Imperium. I reiterate that I do not still think that it was for the best. I will however quit harping on about it being completely useless as it is not. I also apologize to the navy for lambasting the great victory of the bay outside the Mare Nostrum. I also recognize the need and want that necessitate a strong navy so that our fine troops can do what they do best and destroy the heretic, burn the heathen, and trample the traitorous that oppose the emperor's will.
Fin

If this is not enough. I'm afraid that is all that you will get for I have spoken in order to repair our relations and have also spoken my mind. I will not speak more of the subject here. Also I formally nominate Taurinus as faction leader and hope that we can agree that he is the best man for the job. Lastly I speak of concern for the next session. I do not believe that next session will be anything short of painful for, usually, it is the want of the emperor to speak to us before he spends large sums I suggest that we must be strong against any advance wish of getting more gold from the treasury withdrawn. It would be hard without a leader as a reminder. I also have a proposal to the senators, who wish, they may come duck hunting on our newest estate in the former kingdom of Aquitaine. Know that I need to know at least 3 month's in advance so that proper food may be arraigned. After all what's a good hunt without good wine later.

(I am beginning to suspect that you time all senatorial events at the worst times for me, Czok-o. Thank god I recovered from my fever today and not tomorrow!)
{{ I didn't know! I planned to make 24 hours break before Red Demes meeting and White Demes meeting but all things considered I think it would be better to extend Red Demes meeting to Saturday and start the White Demes meeting immediately after it ends (Saturday 11:00 PM). Actually why am I even writing this?}}

THE RED DEMES MEETING IS EXTENDED TO 11:00 PM SATURDAY

Reactions:
Senator Aetius Scipion:

Thanks Senator Wedrovander, for me these excuses are enough and I hope we can shake our hands and end this division.

To increase our unity as demes, I resign from my candidature to lead the red demes and show my support for Senator Taurinus as the next leader of our demes.

I want to thank Senators De Mallorca and Este-Ravenna for the support they showed to my candidature and I hope they also will support Taurinus.

Now that our divisions are over, we must decide the class of politics that we will defend in the next session in a common front.

I would like to propose three main points to discuss:

1st. We need economic stability and money. We will take the measures necessaries for support this politics ((policies, ask for money in peace deals, new discoveries in the East, west south for new markets....

2nd. Main focus of attention for our expansion must be Europe, more specifically Hispania. We must expel demons from the continent and free our brothers in faith still under chains. It is also a strategic point for future attacks on demons.

3rd. The Army is and must keep being the main focus of our interest. We must do whatever in our hands to assure thios keep being this way ((This is a nonsense, I know but which politics does not include one at least in his speeches? :p:p:p))

Last edited:
Senator Ulysses Aelious:
Senator Wendrovader and Senator Scipion. Thank you for making peace and seeing that we must concessions to reach the greater good of our demes. Senator Scipion in response to your points your economic policies seem sound but as for war, we should attack Pisa to obtain money and perhaps some important trading provinces, if they have any left, as we have a truce with the xenoi demons, and they haven't broken a truce with us, so why should we? And finally, yes the army must remain central to all of this.

Petrus Taurinus

*Senator Taurinus stands (hopefully to applause from supporters) and acknowledges his fellow Demes, a smile on his face, and makes the sign of the cross before speaking.*

I am honored to be held in regard by Senator Scipion and others here, the Red Demes do indeed need to be united, and we must have one voice. If indeed I am given the honor to act as our faction's head, I will lead, not as a king over subjects, but as an instrument of the unified Red Demes acting with one voice for the good of the Emire.

Just as Senator Scipion and others have said, we must indeed work towards the good of the Empire by supporting her economic well being, as well as our military's strength, because without these two then not only will we be unable to retake barbarian occupied provinces, but we would find ourselves hard pressed to hold onto the lands the Imperim has spent countless lives and resources to hold.

I do agree with Senator Aelious that Pisa is a nation that cannot be allowed the chance to regrow, for just as a weed must be totally dug up, lest it simply grow back stronger after being cut down, so too must we work to bring an end to the Pisan threat once and for all, while of course avoiding damage to the Empire and other goals.
Additionally, with Saint Markos's blessing and the direction of our mighty Emperor, we have the opportunity to not only liberate Hispania, but bring the Mare Nostrum firmly under our control.

Gentlemen, we have been given a glorious opportunity, and we must do all we can to help our great Emperor to bring about these great opportunities we have been favored with.

*He sits (still hopefully to applause)*

*Applauds Senator Taurinus politely.*
"I am gladdened by the call for unity, and in the spirit of solidarity I also declare my support for Senator Taurinus."

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
*applauds*

Reactions:
*Applauds vigorously*
Thank you Taurinus and thank you for your wisdom Scipion. The only concern is that some of you think that the good imperium will be able to launch a new series of wars soon. I believe that the imperium may have to wait some 30 years before most loans will be taken care of and made manageable. I sincerely hope that this is not the case but I see a long period where the imperium must turn inward and have peace in order to prepare for war.

*Applauds vigorously*
Thank you Taurinus and thank you for your wisdom Scipion. The only concern is that some of you think that the good imperium will be able to launch a new series of wars soon. I believe that the imperium may have to wait some 30 years before most loans will be taken care of and made manageable. I sincerely hope that this is not the case but I see a long period where the imperium must turn inward and have peace in order to prepare for war.

Senator Aetius Scipion:

I see wisdom in your words Maximos and probably you are right but, anyway, it will be His Glory who would have to decide on these matters.

I just say that loans are easily paid with foreign money and that, in case the Emperor decides to expands, Hispania should be the direction.

But Yes, the Home Front will probably be our priority in the next years

In other order of things, some of us remember before our lack of knowledge of Mali. As an old Roman general said one time "Know yourself but also know your enemy". So, what kind of action do you, my dear senators, think should be taken to solve this?

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
I believe that we should send a small fleet to explore down the west coast of Africa in order to see what is their. Mali may border the see and, if that is so, may have martial techniques that we haven't yet thought of, as the Malians have survived against the Xenoi for as long as the Angeloi have protected us. Who knows, they may even be interested in joining Ceylon in vassalization if the Xenoi begin to pressure them.

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
I believe that we should send a small fleet to explore down the west coast of Africa in order to see what is their. Mali may border the see and, if that is so, may have martial techniques that we haven't yet thought of, as the Malians have survived against the Xenoi for as long as the Angeloi have protected us. Who knows, they may even be interested in joining Ceylon in vassalization if the Xenoi begin to pressure them.

Senator Aetius Scipion:

I will do as if I have not listen your last words but I recommend you not to repeat them, especially near the Whites or in the Senate. Some one could think that you are weak against heathen, will to accept them before conversion. Or even pronounce word as HERESY!

One think is to accept misguided brothers in the words of Iesus Khrystos and a totally different thing to accept muslims under our protection. The only protection we can give them is that given by fire.

Senator Aetius Scipion:

I will do as if I have not listen your last words but I recommend you not to repeat them, especially near the Whites or in the Senate. Some one could think that you are weak against heathen, will to accept them before conversion. Or even pronounce word as HERESY!

One think is to accept misguided brothers in the words of Iesus Khrystos and a totally different thing to accept muslims under our protection. The only protection we can give them is that given by fire.

"The Heathen Muslims, though delusional, are nonetheless capable of being redeemed and converted by the light of the Church and the Angeloi. Nonetheless I do not think we have the resources, at this time, to wage a war of salvation- a reconquest of Iberia and the final liberation of Europe would seem necessary before sending armies so far south, though a conquest of the coastlines along the Atlantic in preparation for a future expedition to the Xenoi heartland or against the heathens inland may be suitable targets, and if nothing else their wealth could alleviate Rome's woes... though I question the wisdom of trading blood for gold, when the Pisans are so close and so weak..."

Thank you for your help I'm sorry that I could not write this out sooner I had thought that other details needed to be solved far sooner such as your elevation of which congratulations will most likely soon be in order. The arrival of the woman I have talked about will be arraigned through her father, one of the house's elders, will bring her personally abroad one of his ships and will speak that which has occurred that ought not to be written for it is not a pleasant thing to consider and may cause yet more problems. Also be cautious thereafter the woman has arrived, of non-imperium ships. We believe her web extended to Pisan merchants and they may attempt to contact her. If they don't show up after some 5 years that means more likely than not that we have taken care of their attempts and have captured and executed them.

On the subject of the peoples of Mali, I think that they will be most likely a thing to worry of and about in some point in the future. Many of their lands are complete wastes that scare the Xenoi and have little to no value therein.

Senator Ulysses Aelious:
Of course Senator Scipion, and thank you for your concern. I am not worried though and was merely speaking hypothetically since, as shown by our misguided brothers in Ceylon, nothing is impossible.