• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis. This time we have a feature for Common Sens, that is so large that it is spread over two weeks of development diaries. It is how we interact with your subject states.

In the subjects overview screen, there is now an additional button where you can open up an interaction menu with all your subjects.

Today we’ll talk about the tools you have regarding vassals, marches and lesser union partners.

Placate Local Rulers
This can be done on both vassals and marches, and lets you pay prestige (if you have positive prestige), to reduce the liberty desire of that subject by 10%.

Embargo Rivals
This is a toggle you can put on any subject. If it is on they will embargo all your rivals as quickly as their diplomats can travel. However, this increases their liberty desire by 5% while active.

Place Relative on Throne
This can only be done on vassals, and only when they have a regency. You can replace the regency with a ruler from your own dynasty.

Enforce Religion
This can only be done on vassals, unions and marches. This is possible if the subject is in your religious group, have less than 50% of Liberty Desire, and you have positive relations. Of course, this increases Liberty Desire by 50%, so its something you have to evaluate when it is desirable to do.

Scutage
This is a toggle that can be set to on or off on a vassal. When it is on, they will not be called into wars, unless declared war upon. However, they will provide 50% more of its income to you.

Subsidize Armies
This is a toggle in marches, where if on, you will send up to 10% of your manpower to them each month, to fill up their manpower pool.

Fortify March
This allows you to build or upgrade a fort in a march, where you as overlord fronts the build costs.

Enforce Culture
This is the option if you got some diplomatic power to burn. You can swap the primary culture of a lesser union partner to your culture for a power cost, but this is only doable if they are below 50% liberty desire and it will increase it by 50% as well.

Siphon Income
Unions usually do not provide money to their overlord, but history is full of rulers who took from one part of their realm to provide for another. This action lets you take 50% of a lesser union partners yearly income if you have positive relations. It will increase liberty desire by 10% but also reduce relations rather dramatically.

Support Loyalists
Unions don’t have any local ruler that needs to be placated, so instead you have a toggle where you spend 10% of their monthly income each month, while reducing liberty desire by 20% as long as its active.

FLyJU4U.jpg

Next week we’ll talk about protectorates, trade companies and colonial nations, and their unique actions.

2 questions, one tricky, one less so. First the tricky one:
Does the AI prioritize coring over increasing stability when at 100% OE or more? If by accident a vassal is fed more than 100% OE it os basically destroyed since it wants to increase stability, which is very expensive, plus it is also hit by -stan events.

The less tricky one: are there UI improvements to see the exact OE a vassal takes in a peace deal, considering the first question? Because this is what actually causes it.

Reactions:
ye thats because they cant. I hope the devs improve this instead off just adding stuff and forgetting the old problems..
2 things, 1 do you know how difficult it would be to teach the AI to make a choice like this, in theory you have to teach the AI to weigh never being about to annex the territory against the bonuses of having a march vassal

2 I'm pretty sure the AI is 100% perfect at forming marches in all the correct situations, because currently there is pretty much no reason to form marches at all. I'm hoping this changes with the new fort system where I can have a march on my flank instead of my own forts and their increased defensiveness will form a wall for me, since now they will have to siege the march down before advancing into my territory

Reactions:
Marches no longer lose their bonuses when growing over the development limit.
YES!
Liberty Desire increases go away over time
Also wondeful to know, since it makes those features actually usable.

Really looking foward this expansion, in the "I don't want to start a new game right now because new features :(

Reactions:
2 things, 1 do you know how difficult it would be to teach the AI to make a choice like this, in theory you have to teach the AI to weigh never being about to annex the territory against the bonuses of having a march vassal

1- if only there was some sort of company.... nay, development team who could put time and effort into releasing such completed products which they would sell instead of adding new things into a game and not giving it full AI. It would be difficult yes but not as difficult as some of the other mechanics already implemented in the game.

"I'm pretty sure the AI is 100% perfect at forming marches in all the correct situations, because currently there is pretty much no reason to form marches at all"

it is not. Wiz himself said previously that the AI cant do it so even though you are 'pretty sure'... your wrong

" because currently there is pretty much no reason to form marches at all""

re-reading that... lol what are you on about, if you arent a dev how would you now what is implemented in the code.

Reactions:
Can we have a reverse feature too? When they send us their manpower?
already implemented because subjects increase your overall manpower + force limit

Reactions:
Enforce religion, placate and fort one seems the most useful in interactions. The rest seems awfully situational. But oh man my favorite change is probably the march basetax change. Finally I will not have to worry about 60 basetax rule. I recently started to create marches and it's a pain in the butt. I kept my vassal right in the sweet spot and then BOOM 9 base tax province flips to vassal. I would cheer, but that only made liberty desire go up and bonuses gone. Really happy about this change.

1- if only there was some sort of company.... nay, development team who could put time and effort into releasing such completed products which they would sell instead of adding new things into a game and not giving it full AI. It would be difficult yes but not as difficult as some of the other mechanics already implemented in the game.

"I'm pretty sure the AI is 100% perfect at forming marches in all the correct situations, because currently there is pretty much no reason to form marches at all"

it is not. Wiz himself said previously that the AI cant do it so even though you are 'pretty sure'... your wrong

" because currently there is pretty much no reason to form marches at all""

re-reading that... lol what are you on about, if you arent a dev how would you now what is implemented in the code.
Its a joke, I know the AI can't form marches, I'm saying that it doesn't even matter since really its pretty much never correct to form them anyway

Also like seriously have you ever seen the AI make another nation its vassal and think to yourself, it would be really smart if the AI made that guy into a march. I'm not saying the AI shouldn't learn to do this, but this is pretty much at the bottom of the list of everything that could use work

Reactions:
Is there any reason not to keep scutage toggled on during peacetime and just flip it when a war starts?

Its a joke, I know the AI can't form marches, I'm saying that it doesn't even matter since really its pretty much never correct to form them anyway

Also like seriously have you ever seen the AI make another nation its vassal and think to yourself, it would be really smart if the AI made that guy into a march. I'm not saying the AI shouldn't learn to do this, but this is pretty much at the bottom of the list of everything that could use work

oh i see, well I dont think it should be at the bottom of the list - certainly not the creation of marches..? maybe client states could be less of a priority.

Love it - I wonder how expensive enforce culture will be and how much my long term vassals will spend to change culture^^

Paradox should also consider raise the difficulty of annexing the vassals, or add more bonus to march/vassal to make the overload have some reasons to keep them. Or I will hardly have any motive to use the new vassal interaction mechanic besides reaching 10 years and +190 relation before annexing them.

Reactions:
Is there any reason not to keep scutage toggled on during peacetime and just flip it when a war starts?

If you do it before the war starts..

Reactions:
I'm curious about how the enforce religion thing will work in Western Europe. Let's say I start out as a Catholic vassal with a Catholic overlord.

1. The Reformation hits, overlord stays Catholic but I want to convert. Am I still free to do so? Will the AI spontaneously decide to convert while vassalised (e.g. because many of its provinces have flipped)?

2. The Reformation hits, overlord converts. Am I allowed to voluntarily convert to the overlord's religion? When will the AI do so?

3. Suppose I am allowed to convert while a vassal, but my overlord forces me back to the old religion. How long until I can try again? Is there any way for me to outright refuse a direct order from the overlord, and if so does it immediately lead to an independence war?

4. If a country with several heretic vassals enforces religion on one vassal, will that trigger LD in the other heretic vassals?

Reactions:
Just a UI suggestion, but could you guys please add a display of the subject's liberty desire in the interaction menu? Let's say I want to siphon income from states x, y and z - I shouldn't have to go back a screen to check if it's feasible for their liberty desire each time. Maybe put it to the right of the interaction icons? Looks like there's space.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Can we please get options for trade power from vassals and determining military access? Nothing more infuriating than a big enemy you hate just marching through your vassal.

Reactions:
Can we please get options for trade power from vassals and determining military access? Nothing more infuriating than a big enemy you hate just marching through your vassal.

I thought that was because your enemies have military access through countries that you also have access. And since you always have access through your vassals... But you can now make those vassals Marches and build forts in them to stop the enemy.

I thought that was because your enemies have military access through countries that you also have access. And since you always have access through your vassals... But you can now make those vassals Marches and build forts in them to stop the enemy.

I mean even if I am not involved in the war, I can have strategic interests in whether or not I want someone to pass through my (vassals') lands. Regardless of rivalry, involvement of war, etc.

Reactions: